Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
- - - - -

CORVUS' Horror-Marathon, 2020 edition

38 replies to this topic

#21 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6485 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

So what do you marathon in October?

#22 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14829 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:44 PM

Hallmark Christmas movies.

the horror

#23 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:59 PM

So what do you marathon in October?

More horror movies. This will be the second year where I've started in August, and it runs through to October the 31st. There's no theme to the movies in October this year, its just a selection of horror films.

This year I have 78 films on the slate, although that's subject to change in October, so we'll see if that bears out. Sometimes I have to swap out films due to a lack of availability, although that's rare. When I do that, I'll pull a replacement from my list of alternates. 

Here are the counts for the previous marathons:

2019: 68 films (August, September/October).

2019 Mid-Year Marathon: 33 films

2018: 98 films (September, and October).

2017: 49 films

2016: 16 films. This was my first "official" marathon, and I only did it for the 2nd half of October. 

I try to watch as much unfamiliar/new material as I can, but occasionally I re-watch films I'd not seen in many years, with the occasional re-watch of an old favorite here and there. "Night Of The Living Dead" (the original), "Jason Lives",  and "The Crow" tend to get re-watched. 

Edited by CORVUS, 30 July 2020 - 10:11 PM.

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#24 Automan2000

Automan2000

Liberati tutumet ex infernis

• Supporter
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

It's been a while since I have seen [REC] but I seem to remember enjoying it. Quarantine was kinda crap with some events that didn't make a lot of sense and that unintentionally hilarious scene where a zombie is beaten to death with the camera lens. [REC] seemed to work better, made more sense, and didn't make you wonder how these people could survive a trip to Dairy Queen much less a zombie outbreak. 

Lets also not forget that Quarantine gave away the ending in the trailer... and the friggen poster!!!

Pontypool was a movie that came out of nowhere and really made an impression on me. Although I have to say that I found the first part of the movie more interesting and scary than the later part. 

#25 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

I've run into more than a few films over the years that have boasted images and sequences that stayed with me. But until 2018, I hadn't seen a horror-film that legitimately scared me in over 30 years. 

That film was "Unsane", a 2018 movie starring Claire Foy and directed by Steven Soderbergh, where a woman is tricked into being involuntarily committed to a mental institution. The film is immersive, having been shot on an iPhone, and I found the first 35 minutes to be so harrowing, that I actually had to pause the movie for about 15 minutes while I gathered myself and deduced why I was so wracked with anxiety. This is how I figured out I evidently have a deep fear of being involuntarily committed.

Once I sussed that out, I was able to proceed with the film. Sadly, while a very good flick overall, the climax lets the premise down a little. Overall, though, I was quite impressed.

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#26 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6861 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:02 AM

I can't even fathom reading that book. 

I think the new "Dawn" succeeds as a remake because it strips down the original to 1) Zombie apocalypse. 2) Survivors gather in a Mall. From there it just does its own things, for the most part, and its got its own very harrowing, brutal story to tell, and it does a pretty good job of telling it. While not the masterpiece the original is, its definitely a worthwhile retelling. 

And speaking of, they are both on my list, because September's theme is Original vs Remake Month

Both are really good for the genre, but pale in comparison to Night.

I really need to watch the Road again. Fantastic movie. Same with Children of Men.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#27 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48075 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:55 AM

Night of the Living Dead is a true classic. Also one of the few films that got a remake that is equally as good for vastly different reasons. Both of those films stand on their own merits despite having the same overall plot and characters. Overall, I tend to prefer the remake but I feel the original's message and ending are a lot more powerful and important (and isn't that a heartbreaking thing to type in 2020?).

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

I agree about the "Night" remake being a great film in its own right, with Patricia Tallman and Tony Todd really cementing the film as Barbara and Ben, respectively. The only real shortcoming, for me, is a godawful score. Apart from that, it's yet another example of superlative horror remakes that were released in the 1980's. Or, 1990, in this case. 

#29 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

New Night is better than Old Night.  Come at me.

But if you haven't seen Old Dawn since all this started, you really should.  It's uncanny, and remembering it is not the same as seeing it. 

As society dies, denial and conspiracy theories are everywhere.  The media gives equal time to both sides, and ad revenue is more important than accuracy.  People look right at the problem, in their own homes, among their own families, and deny that it could possibly be happening.  Cops turn out to be white supremacists.  Urban neighborhoods full of minorities are left to die.  Rural good ol' boys with their guns insist on going about a normal, even pleasant life, literally laughing and playing as death wanders through their lawns.  And no matter how awful things get, it always feels good to buy things.  

Black Mirror has nothing on Old Dawn in 2020.  

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 31 July 2020 - 08:27 AM.

#30 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17881 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:08 AM

It is a masterpiece. Hell, Night and Dawn and the Night remake are glorious.

I've rewatched them so many times I can close my eyes and basically replay them in my brain, but maybe I should throw them on for the hell of it.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#31 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:10 AM

Actually, I can't fault anyone for liking the remake better. Its really good. 

As mentioned previously, both versions of DAWN are on the slate for September's remake-month theme. Here's the list:

* Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

* Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

* Body Snatchers (1993)

* The Blob (1958)

* The Blob (1988)

* Dracula (1931)

* Dracula (1958)

* Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

* Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

* Gojira (1954)

* Godzilla (2014)

* The Thing From Another World (1951)

* The Thing (1982)

* The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

* The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

* Friday The 13th (1980)

* Friday The 13th (2009)

* A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

* A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

* Psycho (1960)

* Psycho (1998)

* Let The Right One In (2008)

* Let Me In (2010)

* The Evil Dead (1981)

* Evil Dead (2013)

* Willard (1971)

* Willard (2003)

* The Fly (1958)

* The Fly (1986)

* IT (1990)

* IT (2017)

* IT Chapter Two (2019)

* The Andromeda Strain (1971)

* The Andromeda Strain (2008)

I may change the order in which I watch these, although each version will be watched subsequently. 

I've seen quite a few of these (several times in some cases), but in many cases, its been a very long time. In fact, its been so long since I watched THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, I have forgotten the solution to the mysterious plague, and I've never seen the remake.

I dread re-watching the NOES remake, because it was such a slog in theaters, but I should give it a second chance to see if my opinions of it still hold up. I also dread Gus Van Sant's remake of PSYCHO, because I know its basically shot-for-shot, and thus perhaps one of the most redundant remakes in horror history. 

I may add in MANIAC (1980) vs MANIAC (2012), but that just depends, because the month is already film-heavy. The original always made me feel like I needed a shower after watching it, which is part of the point. The remake, starring Elijah Wood, was friggin' fantastic IMHO, and equally disturbing in its own right.  

Edited by CORVUS, 31 July 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#32 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:16 AM

I've run into more than a few films over the years that have boasted images and sequences that stayed with me. But until 2018, I hadn't seen a horror-film that legitimately scared me in over 30 years. 

That film was "Unsane", a 2018 movie starring Claire Foy and directed by Steven Soderbergh, where a woman is tricked into being involuntarily committed to a mental institution. The film is immersive, having been shot on an iPhone, and I found the first 35 minutes to be so harrowing, that I actually had to pause the movie for about 15 minutes while I gathered myself and deduced why I was so wracked with anxiety. This is how I figured out I evidently have a deep fear of being involuntarily committed.

Once I sussed that out, I was able to proceed with the film. Sadly, while a very good flick overall, the climax lets the premise down a little. Overall, though, I was quite impressed.

I saw this! I thought it was great! Scary because it could happen to anybody. It's just crazy people... or people thinking you're crazy when you're not. Who would listen to you?

Yeah, I rather liked this one.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#33 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17881 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

Yesss. I love the new IT movies, surprisingly. I'm glad you are doing those. My only complaint is that if Richie could have contacts in the 1980s why couldn't he have them now? Him having to put his glasses back on was such a defining moment in the book, its just a weird thing to wash away. Did they think we wouldn't know he was adult Richie if he didn't have his glasses on?

Edited by NICK NEMESIS, 31 July 2020 - 09:18 AM.

Http://www.scatterville.com

#34 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Oh man, I'm glad someone else has seen UNSANE and thought it was good! 

And I'm also glad that I've waited until now to see the IT remake, although watching that miniseries and then both films will be a bit of a test. :D

#35 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6861 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

New Night is better than Old Night.  Come at me.

But if you haven't seen Old Dawn since all this started, you really should.  It's uncanny, and remembering it is not the same as seeing it. 

As society dies, denial and conspiracy theories are everywhere.  The media gives equal time to both sides, and ad revenue is more important than accuracy.  People look right at the problem, in their own homes, among their own families, and deny that it could possibly be happening.  Cops turn out to be white supremacists.  Urban neighborhoods full of minorities are left to die.  Rural good ol' boys with their guns insist on going about a normal, even pleasant life, literally laughing and playing as death wanders through their lawns.  And no matter how awful things get, it always feels good to buy things.  

Black Mirror has nothing on Old Dawn in 2020.  

I think I've only watched Night remake once or twice. Will have to do a rewatch this year, but I'm fairly confident original is a much better film, with a much better atmosphere.

#36 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48075 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

Eeeh. Night continues to have damningly relevant social commentary, but OG Night's Barbara might as well have died in the first act. (And yes, I know that's so Ben gets to be the actual Main Character in subversion to then-modern film billings. It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul in the commentary department)

But I digress, as I've said elsewhere, 2020 has me wanting to write a formal apology to Romero's estate for shitting over the more "unbelievable" aspects of his "of the Dead" series.

Edited by Rust, 31 July 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#37 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6861 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

Eeeh. Night continues to have damningly relevant social commentary, but OG Night's Barbara might as well have died in the first act. (And yes, I know that's so Ben gets to be the actual Main Character in subversion to then-modern film billings. It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul in the commentary department)

But I digress, as I've said elsewhere, 2020 has me wanting to write a formal apology to Romero's estate for shitting over the more "unbelievable" aspects of his "of the Dead" series.

I enjoy both, but catatonic, despondent Barbara is much more believable than "Ripley" Barbara. I feel og Night is probably the most realistic portrayal of people, and there various reactions in this kind of scenario.

#38 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

Setting aside the reality of stereotypes, there are a lot of reasons that can explain why original Barbara was so near-useless. She could have been a person to whom nothing bad had ever really happened, and she just couldn't cope with being assaulted, watching Johnny die, having to flee for her life, and then finding a mutilated corpse, only to be "rescued" by a complete stranger, who she later slaps while hysterical, only to get a right-cross for her trouble. It bears mentioning that its after getting punched and fainting, she becomes near-catatonic upon awakening, although she was close to that state when Ben happened upon the farmhouse anyway. 

Its also possible that hers were the reactions of a woman who is mentally-ill, and may have a history of emotional abuse. Who knows? This is just me trying to assign characteristics to her character that simply are not explored at all within the story.

I can tell you right now, my mother would have been nearly paralyzed with hysteria, although she wouldn't have been trapped in a loop of ranting in a corner and loud prayer. So, Barbara's reactions aren't wholly unrealistic, but rather unsatisfying to a great many people from a standpoint of narrative fiction. 

Okay, so, guess I'm watching the original NOTLD tonight. I'm in the mood. :D

Edited by CORVUS, 31 July 2020 - 09:59 PM.

#39 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48075 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:31 AM

Don't get me wrong, her reaction is far from unrealistic. It's just how I'm wired, I suppose. If I'm introduced to someone at the opening of a film or book, I assume that character is a principle one assuming we're not in a Prologue. It's not just NotLD that I have issues with this sort of thing with.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users