Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
- - - - -

CORVUS' Horror-Marathon, 2020 edition

38 replies to this topic

#1 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:10 AM

HWeen-M20200final.png

So, doing something different this year with my annual Horror-Marathon, and that's covering it here. I'll be starting my marathon with a week-long pre-show on August the 25th. 

This is the fifth year that I've done this, and generally I just post about it on Facebook. I'll be doing that this year too, although I'm paring back the FB coverage this time out because, well, screw Facebook. While I'll post notifications about what and when I'm watching on FB, my reviews will no longer be posted there. Instead, the reviews will be posted on my blog, and right here. 

In the lead-up to this year's marathon, I'll go ahead and start sharing some of my review-comments from the past couple of years. If this thread goes over well, I'll keep splitting coverage. Tomorrow (HAH! Later today) I'll go ahead and list the films that are on the pre-show lineup.

Basically, watch this space. ;)

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#2 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:23 AM

Do Ghost Tunnel! The movie is unintentionally hilarious.

"THE WHEELS!" ~ Rust and Friends while watching the film

#3 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:45 AM

*checks*

Looks like that film is called "Ghost Train", but "Ghost Tunnel" is an alternate title. Unintentionally hilarious eh? Alrighty, I've added to to the alternates list!

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

Gah! Been a few years. Not Ghost at all. Death Tunnel is what I meant.

Death.

Ghost.

Same thing, right?

And yes, they put "THE WHEELS!" on the damn promotional picture.

Edited by Rust, 30 July 2020 - 04:54 AM.

#5 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10758 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

Anna and The Apocalypse is horror musical that I really enjoyed about Zombies!

#6 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14833 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

A horror musical...? Oh, I have to check that out.

#7 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

I watched "Anna and The Apocalypse" during last-year's marathon. I didn't love it (I think my expectations were too high, perhaps?), but it is definitely worth a watch. In fact, I may re-watch it somewhere down the road.

#8 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

How appropriate, since 2020 is already its own horror marathon. You can't spell CORONAVIRUS without CORVUS!

#9 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

So, for this year's pre-show, I have 10 films lined up. The theme is pandemics (naturally):

* Children Of Men (2006)

* 12 Monkeys (1995)

* Blindness (2008)

* Maggie (2015)

* REC (2007)

* Contagion (2011)

* The Seventh Seal (1957)

* Right At Your Door (2006)

* Zombieland - Double-Tap (2019)

* Pontypool (2008)

Out of these, I've seen Pontypool and 12 Monkeys. I saw the former about 9 years ago, and the latter I probably saw shortly after it hit the video-store shelves, and it didn't truly grab me at the time. As such, its long overdue for a re-watch. Contagion isn't strictly a horror-film in the traditional sense, but its friggin' 2020, and its definitely close-enough to count. And, while I've seen the English-language remake of REC (called Quarantine), I've never seen the original.

For the curious, I started last-year's pre-show on August the 16th, and the 17 films I watched are listed right here

How appropriate, since 2020 is already its own horror marathon. You can't spell CORONAVIRUS without CORVUS!

20768132-1788665457813576-57245848386279

Edited by CORVUS, 30 July 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#10 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

Oh, Children of Men is excellent!

Zombieland 2 is utterly superfluous and unmemorable. It wasn't the worst movie I watched on a plane this year (that'd be Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) but I remember the least about what happens in it. 

#11 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

I can't imagine someone voluntarily watching Contagion now.  

#12 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6861 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:29 PM

Oh, Children of Men is excellent!

Zombieland 2 is utterly superfluous and unmemorable. It wasn't the worst movie I watched on a plane this year (that'd be Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) but I remember the least about what happens in it. 

I agree with all of this.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#13 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

I can't imagine someone voluntarily watching Contagion now.  

When my Nuclear fears peak, I'm known to re-watch "Threads" and "The Day After". Its my way of inoculating myself against the anxiety, and the current situation with COVID-19 should lend a little piquancy to "Contagion" it might otherwise lack, at least from where I'm sitting. 

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:08 PM

I'll pay someone to kick me in the genitals with steel toed boots before I ever watch "Threads" again.

I didn't sleep well for a month.

EDIT: To kind of tie that into the Horror theme of the thread, "Threads" did what it was meant to do, but it's kind of like the novel "The Deep" by Nick Cutter. It's a pretty cut and dry horror novel really - the tropes are loud and you're never really surprised by what happens within the book itself...but the imagry the book evokes stays with me to this day. It's disturbing and I don't like dwelling on it over-much, because I start recalling more and more details I'd aggressively repressed.

Put bluntly, it does what it's supposed to do. And it made me uncomfortable enough that while I don't bemoan the experience, I have no desire to relive it. Sort of like the "Joker" movie, really.

Edited by Rust, 30 July 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#15 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

I cannot blame anyone for never re-watching "Threads", and I know I'm in some sort of odd minority for doing so, multiple times. 

That said, I will never re-watch "The Road", ever. And I'm not likely to ever re-watch "Where The Wind Blows", or "Testament" either. 

#16 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

I still can't bring myself to watch the Road based on plot synopsis alone.

#17 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

Its an extremely well-done film, but it digs at your heart with a rusty spoon.

Anywhoozle, to keep content rolling between now and the start of this-year's marathon, I'm going to post some reviews for a handful of the horror films I've watched over the course of 2020, starting with...

RABID GRANNIES (1988)

This movie is batshit insane.

RABID GRANNIES is a film I've ducked for years. Why? Because the original, cheesy VHS cover-photo did nothing to endear me to the idea, nor did the ridiculous movie-title. And then there's the fact that TROMA released it here in the states, and I have something of a love-hate relationship with the studio, because I find them incredibly hit-and-miss. To be fair, they didn't make it, they just distributed it, and that's a fact that eluded me until recently.

Now, ducking out on this 1988 Belgian horror-comedy may or may not have been a mistake. I lean towards being wise to do so, because for years now, most of the releases boast big cuts to the gore-quotient, which makes no goddamn sense for a Troma release. However, some kind soul decided to take various releases and use them to cobble-together what may be the most complete version of the film to date, and then opted to put that on YouTube for free. This person is a God among mortals, and this is the version that I finally watched.

This flick is nothing less than the wicked, bastard-child of DEMONS, DEAD-ALIVE, and any movie you have ever seen that involves a bunch of familial parasites waiting for their aged "loved one" to kick-it so they can rake in their chunk of change. In this case, we have a pair of elderly ladies, the "grannies" of the title, that are actually referred to as Aunts, not grandmothers. They're celebrating their birthdays with a party that is evidently an annual affair. Attending are all their "loving" relatives, all of which are distasteful leeches in one way or other.

We have the asshole cousin who manufactures weapons, the asshole cousin who drives fast and womanizes faster, the asshole cousin who is a successful lesbian stereotype and has brought her current employee squeeze, the slightly-less-assholish cousin who has brought her coward of a husband and their two kids, the slightly-less-assholish spinster, the asshole cousin who is a cowardly, hypocritical priest, and the asshole cousin who is an obese, cockney factory-owner (that evidently manufactures condoms) that has brought-along his new trophy-wife who happens to be a nightclub singer. We've also got a long-suffering Butler, a bossy Cook, and the hapless maid. There's lots of food, lots of gossip and sycophantic sniping, and lots of thick, Belgian accents.

But, we also have the ESTRANGED ASSHOLE COUSIN, who isn't in attendance, but has sent along a present anyway. And why is this cousin estranged, pray-tell? Why, because he worships Satan and once held a black mass, of course! And you know what that means, right kids? Its means that these Auntie-Grannies aren't going to end up rabid at all, but rather they end up being Demon-Possessed!

So, I guess a better title would have been DEMON AUNTIES, but that doesn't have the same absurd ring to it.

Anyway, the film meanders its way through introducing us to this cast of boring stereotypes, and hits us with all sorts of silly, poorly-delivered dialogue. Its a bit of a slog, but as the party starts to wind down, the cake is brought out, and the final present from the Devil-Worshiping cousin is opened, the film takes off, and the shit hits the fan.

Now possessed, the Aunties decide that their nieces and nephews are surplus to requirements, and decide to trim the fat. And boy, in the gore-soaked case of the obese condom-factory cousin, do they ever trim the fat. The film still manages to bog itself down between gory death-scenes, thanks to the assorted family-members scattering and hiding together in various rooms as they are stalked here and there by their evil Aunties, but its still good fun. My favorite bit is the scene where arms-dealer nephew decides he's had enough of all the carnage and manages to retrieve a tactical-shotgun and then confronts his possessed Aunts is a glorious, gory standout, that deserves special recognition for its mean-spirited, blood-soaked hilarity.

The finale is a little bit of a letdown, but it works well-enough, and the aftermath is morbidly amusing as well. If you're looking for some goofy, European horror with a high body-count and lots of goop and grue, then RABID GRANNIES may just be what you're looking for. And with the best edit available for free right now on YouTube, the only thing you risk at all is your time. I say give it a shot!

THREE STARS!

Edited by CORVUS, 30 July 2020 - 05:06 PM.

#18 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

I still can't bring myself to watch the Road based on plot synopsis alone.

After reading the book I knew I couldn't watch the movie.

During lockdown I rewatched both old and new Dawn of the Dead. Old Dawn in lockdown is a hundred times more brutal black-hearted satire than ever before. New Dawn in lockdown was actively alarming to watch and I had to "zone out" and not pay attention by the end.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 30 July 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#19 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33649 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

I can't even fathom reading that book. 

I think the new "Dawn" succeeds as a remake because it strips down the original to 1) Zombie apocalypse. 2) Survivors gather in a Mall. From there it just does its own things, for the most part, and its got its own very harrowing, brutal story to tell, and it does a pretty good job of telling it. While not the masterpiece the original is, its definitely a worthwhile retelling. 

And speaking of, they are both on my list, because September's theme is Original vs Remake Month

#20 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14833 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

*looks up synopsis of The Road movie* so... like Walking Dead, but without the zombies?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users