Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (06 May 2021 - 10:18 AM)

Best of luck man.

@  electricidad : (05 May 2021 - 03:22 PM)

GOOD LUCK, NEVERMORE!

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:14 PM)

The election committee whose chairman I am has been preparing this election since February. There's no real gain for me either way, so I don't care that much for the outcome, but it's going to be a stressful day for me either way.

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:13 PM)

Wish me luck. Tomorrow is this year's supervisory board election at my workplace, and I'm the guy in charge of organizing the election.

@  tigerhawk : (05 May 2021 - 01:30 PM)

I have two Overlords one was faulty with a melted foot and they never took it back but replaced it, I just checked the guns, both the handles seem to be turning white.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 May 2021 - 07:38 PM)

REVELATION! Towering war machines more durable than nerd!

@  Telly : (04 May 2021 - 07:18 PM)

pansy. my trypticon AND scorponok took a header from 4 feet up and only had parts pop off that were easily reattached. guess 'cons are tougher...

@  tigerhawk : (04 May 2021 - 04:03 PM)

My TR Perceptor fell and the titan master peg in the leg snapped off. Fortunately I have the Legends one.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 May 2021 - 08:50 PM)

It's a fairly well known fact that "it's a wonderful life" only became popular after it dropped into the public domain. So, yeah, they probably did.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (02 May 2021 - 08:29 PM)

I read an interesting observation on Twitter. If it is the natural course of a human to grow into Grandpa Abe yelling at a cloud, but nostalgia also yields rose-tinted glasses for the likes of one's youth, then did Greatest Generation adults bemoan how Baby Boomer children loved box office flops such as The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life?

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 May 2021 - 09:54 AM)

You’re traveling down a rabbit hole I dare not follow

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:26 AM)

At the same time, with my almost non-existent knowledge of Japanese and how oddly some things translate, seeing "Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges" made me wonder if that would make it "JoJoJo"... which now has my brain terrified of a weird Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Crossover. @[email protected]

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:24 AM)

It is always weird when things align.  This talk of Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges in the SquawkBox reminded me of King Gorgeous Gorge on the FoxBox.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 May 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Nice

@  Nevermore : (01 May 2021 - 09:03 AM)

I got one even better: After that character by the name of Gorgeous Giorgios dies in a gorge, they name that whole area after him: The Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges.

@  tigerhawk : (30 April 2021 - 01:56 AM)

Paint apps did slide notably during TR, wave one's Titan Masters had detail but wave 2 onwards was absent of them. Wave 5's Ramhorn, Dreadnaut, Scorchfire and Aimless had detail but Murk and Hazard didn't, can't speak for Flameout as I got Legends Twintwist and Slugslinger.

@  kizudarake : (29 April 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Anyone here got any g1 jet fire parts for sale?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Other than a few overly tight joints, the paints apps are my single complaint about the generations line.

@  tigerhawk : (29 April 2021 - 02:25 PM)

I just saw Legends Leo Prime now I wish Titans Return Alpha Trion had a few more paint apps for ship mode.

@  walruslaw : (28 April 2021 - 09:33 PM)

dagrimbo

@  CORVUS : (27 April 2021 - 08:11 PM)

Indeed.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 April 2021 - 04:59 PM)

CORVUS: considering that reply, I'm pretty sure this was just another instance of Bass posting poorly-defined drivel as if it were profound.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 April 2021 - 04:24 PM)

Given the last year and a half or so, is it any surprise?

@  Bass X0 : (27 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

People are snapping already it seems.

@  Kaon : (27 April 2021 - 12:15 PM)

I like the Shattered Glass Megatron's alt mode

@  CORVUS : (26 April 2021 - 07:30 PM)

I'd like to know what society he's talking about, and what qualifies as "nothing", TBH.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 05:09 PM)

I don't see the point in such a poorly defined "everyone is terrible" statement. He's not complaining about any specific people or specific problems.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 April 2021 - 05:06 PM)

I do not see anything about Bass's comment that felt a need for you to attack him.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 04:35 PM)

Bass: does that "everyone" include yourself or are you just trying to act like you're better than everybody without actually proving anything?

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2021 - 04:10 PM)

Mostly it's "oh, don't say that right now" and "better learn when to duck".

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2021 - 04:05 PM)

There's something to be said about society when everyones just an inch away from snapping over nothing.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 April 2021 - 02:17 PM)

WalMart is a cruel mistress. Today she runneth over...tommorrow, she'll be barren as a desert.

@  -LittleAutob... : (26 April 2021 - 12:21 PM)

I love Wal-mart now- They have way more Transformers figures than Target- last night I came home with a WFC Authentic Wheeljack even though I was torn between wanting TFP Arcee and TF: The Movie Blurr, two figures I have never ever seen before-

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Spelling intended lol

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Curious Geogore

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio"

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

New JoJo villain, GoGio

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 April 2021 - 07:52 AM)

Is this a Jojo?

@  Nevermore : (25 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

Now I suddenly have a character with the name "Gorgeous Georgios" in mind.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 April 2021 - 04:00 PM)

H A -

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2021 - 01:58 PM)

Saint Georgios Day?

@  Donocropolis : (23 April 2021 - 06:59 AM)

more like Saint GORGEOUS Day.

@  tigerhawk : (23 April 2021 - 04:59 AM)

Saint Georges Day.

@  Sabrblade : (21 April 2021 - 11:55 PM)

Glenn Morshower would agree. He goes to auditions with his shoes full of syrup.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 04:28 PM)

Please, maple syrup can only improve alot of content.

@  Donocropolis : (21 April 2021 - 03:33 PM)

Well, not release it into Canada, no. You'd just get maple syrup all over it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2021 - 03:21 PM)

what bothers me most about Canadian rights is that, oftentimes, the rights holders for certain content don't even seem to have any interest in releasing it

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 10:46 AM)

It'd be mostly the same even in a world with global copyright law, since even the shortest terms are very long.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2021 - 10:39 AM)

You got me, I just want to watch cartoons without having to pirate them for once.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 April 2021 - 08:41 AM)

Also, how would copyright law standardization be enforced? I doubt any country's governments would be eager to start trade sanctions over it.

Photo
- - - - -

Why No Beast Wars Re-Issues?

70 replies to this topic

#41 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Take your life and live it your way

• Supporter
  • 50470 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

Nobody cared about Transquito when he was still on shelves.

So, y'know, last year or so.

I still have nightmares about that. How dare you.

509.jpg

#42 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 1476 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

Just double checked; people are willing to pay $50 retail for the figure on the left, but you think itd be strange for them to do so for the figure on the right?

We must come to one of two conclusions then:

1. G1 fans are getting fleeced, and theyre suckers for doing so.
2. The argument doesnt really hold much water.

You stand them next to each other for comparison as in robot mode height is the sole indicator of value. That doesn't hold water. (Tangibly, Construction of the toys is different, intangibly G1 holds more nostalgia value than BW)

G1 buyers are getting fleeced and are suckers when the pay $50 for the cab? I agree! But some did. Though many of those also went on clearance and are on ebay for less than that.

Would you pay $50 for a reissue TM Optimus Primal? You argue why this doesn't hold water but seem to avoid whether you personally would pay such prices. Want to compare that to ebay prices for the figure? Loose specimens go for less, original MISB specimens around there or a bit more. So I don't think reissues of many BW items would be worth it. A handful, like TM Megatron, yes.

But also, comparing a G1 reissue OP to a BW reissue Primal.... there is simply not as big of a market for BW collectors as there is G1 collectors. If you are in denial about this any arguments you make hold zero water. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough of a market for BW reissues, but trying to compare than on an even field is disingenious.

I hope for people that want BW reissues, they get them. And I won't be surprised if some amount of BW items are on retail shelves at some point in the next 5 years(I'd love to get some "Generations" BWs or even repaints of old molds, reissues I don't specifically care for since I have a complete BW collection).

But when the question is, why aren't there reissues existing right now, the answer is: they are not as profitable as other things Hasbro/retailers could sell.
(Again: not that they wouldn't make some profit, but there is that concept of opportunity cost.)

#43 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5435 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Ok let's ask the real question.

Why no Beast Machines re-issues?

I'm a professed Beast Machines fan, and I'll readily say....the toys are solid on their merits (mostly, the Maximals can get iffy), but most do a poor to terrible job representing the characters on the show.  It's like G1 in that they'd basically have to remake everyone to meet fans' expectations.  We got a solid Tankor but he's undersized.  We got a solid Cheetor, but it's a rare Titanium with all the issues that entails.  Considering how long it has taken to reach things like proper Headmasters and Micromasters, we're probably still a good decade away from MAYBE seeing Hasbro touch Beast Machines.

Just double checked; people are willing to pay $50 retail for the figure on the left, but you think itd be strange for them to do so for the figure on the right?

We must come to one of two conclusions then:

1. G1 fans are getting fleeced, and theyre suckers for doing so.
2. The argument doesnt really hold much water.

giphy.gif

It legitimately shocked me that many of the reissues we've seen at Walmart are retailing for about the SAME, or pretty close, to what they were being offered 10-15 years ago.

#44 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5704 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

You stand them next to each other for comparison as in robot mode height is the sole indicator of value. That doesn't hold water. (Tangibly, Construction of the toys is different, intangibly G1 holds more nostalgia value than BW)

Probably because showing them being comparable in size demonstrates the point that I was making: People DO pay $50 for figures like that. In terms of their construction, wouldn't Primal be cheaper due to not using any diecast? As far as the nostalgia goes.....we have a way to measure that within the fandom, but not the rest of the world. It's an unknown unknown. Hence why I'm not going to address that. 

G1 buyers are getting fleeced and are suckers when the pay $50 for the cab? I agree! But some did. Though many of those also went on clearance and are on ebay for less than that.

I don't know what those official retail vs discount buying numbers. They never stayed on the shelf long enough in my city's locations to even go to clearance. 

But also, comparing a G1 reissue OP to a BW reissue Primal.... there is simply not as big of a market for BW collectors as there is G1 collectors.

Chicken or the egg. Does Beast Wars get little recognition because it's not re-tread literally every year like G1 characters are, or do we not see an alleged market because the characters aren't as well known? We'll never actually know until we get more inclusion in other media for the characters, or see more of them on shelves. There's a reason the PoP Primal was so sought after. 

Would you pay $50 for a reissue TM Optimus Primal? You argue why this doesn't hold water but seem to avoid whether you personally would pay such prices. Want to compare that to ebay prices for the figure? Loose specimens go for less, original MISB specimens around there or a bit more. So I don't think reissues of many BW items would be worth it. A handful, like TM Megatron, yes.

1. I assumed the "you" you were referencing was the fandom "you"; hence why I made the comparison in price to the Prime cab. This isn't me avoiding your question; this is me answering it broadly and you missing that. If you want a direct answer from me personally, the answer is yes provided the material will last. 

2. If you want to be specifically picky on which figures we should compare, we can do the same for Astrotrain. You can pick the original up on ebay for often less than the reissue. 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to re-issue some of them, which is what I'm getting at. I'm talking show characters or even others like Magnaboss. this could also get beefed up via Japanese Beast figure reissues Stateside. It's doable, it would just take some tinkering. 

Heck, they could start with Re-issuing the show accurate Primal and Megatron, then go down similar lines to the 10th anniversary sets; updating paint decos to be more show accurate and all that. 

If you are in denial about this any arguments you make hold zero water. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough of a market for BW reissues, but trying to compare than on an even field is disingenious.

Being skeptical of a claim is neither denial nor disingenuous. If you actually think I'm either, you're welcome to participate in other threads instead. :)

I hope for people that want BW reissues, they get them. And I won't be surprised if some amount of BW items are on retail shelves at some point in the next 5 years(I'd love to get some "Generations" BWs or even repaints of old molds, reissues I don't specifically care for since I have a complete BW collection).

I'd love more modern Beast figures too! But it seems they're dead set on just doing G1 until the end of time. 

But when the question is, why aren't there reissues existing right now, the answer is: they are not as profitable as other things Hasbro/retailers could sell.

You really can't speak for whether or not it'll generate adequate or comparable profit. It may just because they don't think anyone is interested. 

Edited by LioConvoy, 17 June 2020 - 10:12 PM.

#45 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5395 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

Optimal Optimus did win the fan vote a few years back, thus not only his inclusion in the POTP line (a figure I rarely saw on store shelves for very long), but him being one of the highly sought after SDCC exclusives for that year as well.

I think one of the hurdles a BW reissue line also faces is that it was originally around at the beginning of the modern collector culture, so many collectors, like myself, still have all their BW figures that they bought when they were brand new on the store shelves.

Like literally 99% of my Beast Wars figures, not counting BW2 & BWN, were bought during the 90's, and are still in perfect condition. The only ones I bought from the previous reissue line were Tarantulus, Rhinox, and Dinobot, because I never got them when they first came out. And the reissues of Megatron and Primal never even came out here in Canada, nor did the updated versions, except for the Cybertron recolours.

I think the target audience would be those 90's kids, who had the toys and have lost them to time, as most kids do. But as previously pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any 90's nostalgia push. I don't see many people seeking out BW, or Mighty Max, or G.I.Joe Extreme.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#46 Hardbot

Hardbot

I'm gettin' too old for this $#!%

• Citizen
  • 1260 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

The fact that Beast Wars brought the franchise back from the brink should count for something.

#47 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 762 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

The fact that Beast Wars brought the franchise back from the brink should count for something.

it should, but the geewhiners will always crow "bUt GEEwuN CaaME fiRsT"

#48 ssg4life

ssg4life
  • Supporter
  • 2426 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

ok, truth time. if we ever get anything beast wars again, i just want leader class torca

#49 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 3103 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

Bad news, in modern times that means Torca will be a small voyager the size of the old deluxe Cybershark, with extra parts to turn him into a humpback whale.

#50 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3586 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

If Torca gets gimmicky extra parts, it should make him into Orcanoch.

#51 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 50470 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

The downside is that a new Torca might actually look like an elephant/whale fusion rather than a Deep One or whatever the hell he is.

#52 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 3103 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

Oops, it was Orcanoch I was thinking of. Though now that I have the character right, it DOES look Shaggothy in a twisted half formed way.

Great...Now I want one...

#53 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32402 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

Orcanoch + Ironhide = Torca combiner?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#54 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15564 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

Titan Axalon via Haslab.

Edited by Zodberg, 18 June 2020 - 10:26 PM.

Woooo!

#55 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 50470 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:13 AM

This sounds like a really weird slash fic.

#56 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32402 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

This sounds like a really weird slash fic.

Then again, the Fuzors concept always sounded like that.

Edited by Sabrblade, 19 June 2020 - 08:41 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#57 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15564 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

The real question is

Why no Machine Wars reissue?
Woooo!

#58 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 762 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:10 PM

The real question is

Why no Machine Wars reissue?

we got a whole ass Botcon set dedicated to Machine Wars.

.....that didnt have Optimus Prime.

or Soundwave.

or Megatron.

or Prowl.

or Hubcap.

kind of a big hole there. i mean, Botcon sets back in the funpub days were typically 14 toys between the boxset and souvenirs. Machine Wars only had 12 toys in the line. so half the lineup going missing for what? Rainmakers and Strika/Obsidian?

coulddnt even find places in the Figure Subscriptuon service for the MIA Machine Warriors?

#59 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 68896 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:39 PM

IIRC they were going to do more later but the BotCon set didn't do as well as expected and therefore they moved on to other things.

ACItEK8.png

#60 HellCat

HellCat
  • Citizen
  • 29756 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:29 AM

Threads like these just further my long standing opinion Beast Wars fans overestimate its popularity.

I mean I'm not surprised to hear the Thrilling 30 figures didn't sell. I bought the Legends figure of Rattrap but who is he to kids today? We had Rattletrap as a one scene wonder in Animated and then basically the same character as Starscream's minion in IDW. The actual BW incarnation that made fans actually want an updated toy has no such depiction giving him modern relevance.

And yes, I'm aware some of these characters pop up in other works or parents might show their kids the original show. But beyond the nostalgia market there isn't anything to give these characters relevance. I've long held that giving every toy a bio was one of the smartest choices of Hasbro. But a bio on packaging can only go so far and faced with cool robots who turn into cool cars, military and sci-fi vehicles, how many kids will choose the guy who turns into a rat or a rhino whom they know nothing about?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users