Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo
- - - - -

Why No Beast Wars Re-Issues?

70 replies to this topic

#41 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Our defiance drives us straight to the edge

• Supporter
  • 47711 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

Nobody cared about Transquito when he was still on shelves.

So, y'know, last year or so.

I still have nightmares about that. How dare you.

509.jpg

#42 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 1376 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

Just double checked; people are willing to pay $50 retail for the figure on the left, but you think itd be strange for them to do so for the figure on the right?

We must come to one of two conclusions then:

1. G1 fans are getting fleeced, and theyre suckers for doing so.
2. The argument doesnt really hold much water.

You stand them next to each other for comparison as in robot mode height is the sole indicator of value. That doesn't hold water. (Tangibly, Construction of the toys is different, intangibly G1 holds more nostalgia value than BW)

G1 buyers are getting fleeced and are suckers when the pay $50 for the cab? I agree! But some did. Though many of those also went on clearance and are on ebay for less than that.

Would you pay $50 for a reissue TM Optimus Primal? You argue why this doesn't hold water but seem to avoid whether you personally would pay such prices. Want to compare that to ebay prices for the figure? Loose specimens go for less, original MISB specimens around there or a bit more. So I don't think reissues of many BW items would be worth it. A handful, like TM Megatron, yes.

But also, comparing a G1 reissue OP to a BW reissue Primal.... there is simply not as big of a market for BW collectors as there is G1 collectors. If you are in denial about this any arguments you make hold zero water. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough of a market for BW reissues, but trying to compare than on an even field is disingenious.

I hope for people that want BW reissues, they get them. And I won't be surprised if some amount of BW items are on retail shelves at some point in the next 5 years(I'd love to get some "Generations" BWs or even repaints of old molds, reissues I don't specifically care for since I have a complete BW collection).

But when the question is, why aren't there reissues existing right now, the answer is: they are not as profitable as other things Hasbro/retailers could sell.
(Again: not that they wouldn't make some profit, but there is that concept of opportunity cost.)

#43 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4964 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

Ok let's ask the real question.

Why no Beast Machines re-issues?

I'm a professed Beast Machines fan, and I'll readily say....the toys are solid on their merits (mostly, the Maximals can get iffy), but most do a poor to terrible job representing the characters on the show.  It's like G1 in that they'd basically have to remake everyone to meet fans' expectations.  We got a solid Tankor but he's undersized.  We got a solid Cheetor, but it's a rare Titanium with all the issues that entails.  Considering how long it has taken to reach things like proper Headmasters and Micromasters, we're probably still a good decade away from MAYBE seeing Hasbro touch Beast Machines.

Just double checked; people are willing to pay $50 retail for the figure on the left, but you think itd be strange for them to do so for the figure on the right?

We must come to one of two conclusions then:

1. G1 fans are getting fleeced, and theyre suckers for doing so.
2. The argument doesnt really hold much water.

giphy.gif

It legitimately shocked me that many of the reissues we've seen at Walmart are retailing for about the SAME, or pretty close, to what they were being offered 10-15 years ago.

#44 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5676 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

You stand them next to each other for comparison as in robot mode height is the sole indicator of value. That doesn't hold water. (Tangibly, Construction of the toys is different, intangibly G1 holds more nostalgia value than BW)

Probably because showing them being comparable in size demonstrates the point that I was making: People DO pay $50 for figures like that. In terms of their construction, wouldn't Primal be cheaper due to not using any diecast? As far as the nostalgia goes.....we have a way to measure that within the fandom, but not the rest of the world. It's an unknown unknown. Hence why I'm not going to address that. 

G1 buyers are getting fleeced and are suckers when the pay $50 for the cab? I agree! But some did. Though many of those also went on clearance and are on ebay for less than that.

I don't know what those official retail vs discount buying numbers. They never stayed on the shelf long enough in my city's locations to even go to clearance. 

But also, comparing a G1 reissue OP to a BW reissue Primal.... there is simply not as big of a market for BW collectors as there is G1 collectors.

Chicken or the egg. Does Beast Wars get little recognition because it's not re-tread literally every year like G1 characters are, or do we not see an alleged market because the characters aren't as well known? We'll never actually know until we get more inclusion in other media for the characters, or see more of them on shelves. There's a reason the PoP Primal was so sought after. 

Would you pay $50 for a reissue TM Optimus Primal? You argue why this doesn't hold water but seem to avoid whether you personally would pay such prices. Want to compare that to ebay prices for the figure? Loose specimens go for less, original MISB specimens around there or a bit more. So I don't think reissues of many BW items would be worth it. A handful, like TM Megatron, yes.

1. I assumed the "you" you were referencing was the fandom "you"; hence why I made the comparison in price to the Prime cab. This isn't me avoiding your question; this is me answering it broadly and you missing that. If you want a direct answer from me personally, the answer is yes provided the material will last. 

2. If you want to be specifically picky on which figures we should compare, we can do the same for Astrotrain. You can pick the original up on ebay for often less than the reissue. 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to re-issue some of them, which is what I'm getting at. I'm talking show characters or even others like Magnaboss. this could also get beefed up via Japanese Beast figure reissues Stateside. It's doable, it would just take some tinkering. 

Heck, they could start with Re-issuing the show accurate Primal and Megatron, then go down similar lines to the 10th anniversary sets; updating paint decos to be more show accurate and all that. 

If you are in denial about this any arguments you make hold zero water. Acknowledging that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough of a market for BW reissues, but trying to compare than on an even field is disingenious.

Being skeptical of a claim is neither denial nor disingenuous. If you actually think I'm either, you're welcome to participate in other threads instead. :)

I hope for people that want BW reissues, they get them. And I won't be surprised if some amount of BW items are on retail shelves at some point in the next 5 years(I'd love to get some "Generations" BWs or even repaints of old molds, reissues I don't specifically care for since I have a complete BW collection).

I'd love more modern Beast figures too! But it seems they're dead set on just doing G1 until the end of time. 

But when the question is, why aren't there reissues existing right now, the answer is: they are not as profitable as other things Hasbro/retailers could sell.

You really can't speak for whether or not it'll generate adequate or comparable profit. It may just because they don't think anyone is interested. 

Edited by LioConvoy, 17 June 2020 - 10:12 PM.

#45 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5327 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

Optimal Optimus did win the fan vote a few years back, thus not only his inclusion in the POTP line (a figure I rarely saw on store shelves for very long), but him being one of the highly sought after SDCC exclusives for that year as well.

I think one of the hurdles a BW reissue line also faces is that it was originally around at the beginning of the modern collector culture, so many collectors, like myself, still have all their BW figures that they bought when they were brand new on the store shelves.

Like literally 99% of my Beast Wars figures, not counting BW2 & BWN, were bought during the 90's, and are still in perfect condition. The only ones I bought from the previous reissue line were Tarantulus, Rhinox, and Dinobot, because I never got them when they first came out. And the reissues of Megatron and Primal never even came out here in Canada, nor did the updated versions, except for the Cybertron recolours.

I think the target audience would be those 90's kids, who had the toys and have lost them to time, as most kids do. But as previously pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any 90's nostalgia push. I don't see many people seeking out BW, or Mighty Max, or G.I.Joe Extreme.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#46 Hardbot

Hardbot

I'm gettin' too old for this $#!%

• Citizen
  • 1202 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

The fact that Beast Wars brought the franchise back from the brink should count for something.

#47 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 661 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

The fact that Beast Wars brought the franchise back from the brink should count for something.

it should, but the geewhiners will always crow "bUt GEEwuN CaaME fiRsT"

#48 ssg4life

ssg4life
  • Supporter
  • 2387 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

ok, truth time. if we ever get anything beast wars again, i just want leader class torca

#49 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 2370 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

Bad news, in modern times that means Torca will be a small voyager the size of the old deluxe Cybershark, with extra parts to turn him into a humpback whale.

#50 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3146 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

If Torca gets gimmicky extra parts, it should make him into Orcanoch.

#51 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 47711 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

The downside is that a new Torca might actually look like an elephant/whale fusion rather than a Deep One or whatever the hell he is.

#52 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 2370 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

Oops, it was Orcanoch I was thinking of. Though now that I have the character right, it DOES look Shaggothy in a twisted half formed way.

Great...Now I want one...

#53 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30631 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

Orcanoch + Ironhide = Torca combiner?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#54 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15557 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

Titan Axalon via Haslab.

Edited by Zodberg, 18 June 2020 - 10:26 PM.

Woooo!

#55 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 47711 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:13 AM

This sounds like a really weird slash fic.

#56 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30631 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

This sounds like a really weird slash fic.

Then again, the Fuzors concept always sounded like that.

Edited by Sabrblade, 19 June 2020 - 08:41 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#57 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15557 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

The real question is

Why no Machine Wars reissue?
Woooo!

#58 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 661 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:10 PM

The real question is

Why no Machine Wars reissue?

we got a whole ass Botcon set dedicated to Machine Wars.

.....that didnt have Optimus Prime.

or Soundwave.

or Megatron.

or Prowl.

or Hubcap.

kind of a big hole there. i mean, Botcon sets back in the funpub days were typically 14 toys between the boxset and souvenirs. Machine Wars only had 12 toys in the line. so half the lineup going missing for what? Rainmakers and Strika/Obsidian?

coulddnt even find places in the Figure Subscriptuon service for the MIA Machine Warriors?

#59 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67480 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:39 PM

IIRC they were going to do more later but the BotCon set didn't do as well as expected and therefore they moved on to other things.

ACItEK8.png

#60 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29226 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:29 AM

Threads like these just further my long standing opinion Beast Wars fans overestimate its popularity.

I mean I'm not surprised to hear the Thrilling 30 figures didn't sell. I bought the Legends figure of Rattrap but who is he to kids today? We had Rattletrap as a one scene wonder in Animated and then basically the same character as Starscream's minion in IDW. The actual BW incarnation that made fans actually want an updated toy has no such depiction giving him modern relevance.

And yes, I'm aware some of these characters pop up in other works or parents might show their kids the original show. But beyond the nostalgia market there isn't anything to give these characters relevance. I've long held that giving every toy a bio was one of the smartest choices of Hasbro. But a bio on packaging can only go so far and faced with cool robots who turn into cool cars, military and sci-fi vehicles, how many kids will choose the guy who turns into a rat or a rhino whom they know nothing about?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users