Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo
- - - - -

Why No Beast Wars Re-Issues?

70 replies to this topic

#1 LioConvoy

LioConvoy

FEEL THE RAGE

• Supporter
  • 5676 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:07 AM

With Hasbro regularly re-issuing various G1 stuff, I have to ask; why not Beast Wars?

Next year will be its 25th anniversary, and there are some figures (like TM Megatron) that could stand to be released again due to how theyre deteriorated over the years.

Also, it would be neat, and Id like that.

#2 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30631 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:28 AM

We did get reissues back in 2006. But of course, that was under a different Hasbro team than the current one.

Though, we did get those unexpected redecos of the Terrorsaur and Guiledart molds in the AOE toyline.

And Takara reissued the Ultra class Optimus Primal mold (complete with its Beast Wars Reborn retoolings) back at the beginning of the Legends line, as well as reissuing the Big Convoy mold three times between Encore and Legends.

It also doesn't help that Beast Wars happens to share its anniversary years with those of TFTM, since Beast Wars itself first came out during the tenth anniversary of that movie. So, a lot more attention is given to celebrating that movie's anniversaries than Beast Wars's anniversaries due to a seeming consistent preference of honoring G1 above all else by the current Hasbro team. At least IDW's got its new Beast Wars comics coming next year.

Edited by Sabrblade, 16 June 2020 - 09:39 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#3 Adam16bit

Adam16bit

I Like Toys

• Citizen
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:29 AM

It's a remarkably consistent pattern in nostalgia lines, most likely thanks to the first generation being around longer, being more recognizable, and being the source for most demand.

Star Trek's original series gets more love than the arguably more popular The Next Generation, while the newest shows have practically no merchandise.   Star Wars' original trilogy tends to take over whenever the "new content" runs its course, leaving the prequels, TV projects, and sequels in the lurch.   Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers always seems to take the forefront on new preschool lines, too.  I guess it's because a lot of the toys go to the kids, but toy companies know mom and/or dad buy the things.   G.I. Joe may be one of the few exceptions, because the 1982 generation really did make such a big, long impact that we're still feeling its effects with yet another nostalgia line based on it while the 12-inch dudes have largely been relegated to the dust bins of history.

I'd nudge you - or indeed anyone, for any toy line - to make a fuss over it.  We're only just now seeing Kenner-style Real Ghostbusters reissues, Hasbro US has been slow on the G1 reissues and Star Wars Kenner remakes, Mattel did some MOTU reissues a long while  back, and I can tell you that Hasbro does indeed listen when fans get together and demand things - especially specific things.   If they see a sudden petition for a reissue of an older toy or a new version of it, they have been pretty good about discussing it and in some cases, finding a way to make it happen.   I  know I'd love to see an improved Transmetals Megatron or an all-new toy based on the original design with hopefully non-crumbly bits and non-flaky paint, but going back to that law of franchises, I doubt that'd be where Hasbro starts if and when Beast Wars gets back in their good graces.   Unless, of course, fan outcry kicks in.

#4 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 44248 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:46 AM

I did like those Telemocha Beast Wars repaints. Takara should reissue them and some more that they hadn't done originally. Original 1996 Hasbro colors? Not worth reissuing. 

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#5 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Our defiance drives us straight to the edge

• Supporter
  • 47711 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:03 AM

Some of the original molds are probably worn out beyond use by now, or just lost or buried in a warehouse. And frankly, a lot of them aren't really worth the premium they'd cost for a reissue when the originals aren't hard to find at a reasonable price.

#6 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3660 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:12 AM

There isn't the same level of nostalgia for them. As much as we like it, it never reached the same level of pop culture impact that would justify premium rereleases of molds that don't hold up well. G1 molds don't hold up well either, but thanks to nostalgia goggles, more people will buy them than a $30 deinonychus in non show accurate colours, who's as wide as he is tall.

#7 SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster
  • Citizen
  • 661 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

the trend of 80s nostalgia is gonna be locked in for a while. 

the cartoons of the 80s were aggressive marketing incarnate. stories and characters designed to sell cheap plastic toys.

nowadays that marketing push is aimed at selling Fortnight Lootboxes.

have you seen toy aisles these days? no where near the brand/franchise diversity of the 80s and 90s.

the 80s kids are in their 40s and 50s now. they've established themselves in the workforce, and they have a significant disposable income.

the 90s kids and their juniors haven't been so lucky. a job market crowded with previous generations who refuse to retire means lucrative careers are harder to find than a non-broken G2 Electro. and they've had to deal with 3 market crashes and more on the way.

so yeah, i just dont see the 90s nostalgia market ever overtaking the 80s nostalgia market.

#8 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

My completely unfounded hypothesis was that Kenner handling BW rather than Hasbro proper led to the molds being labeled as such and being placed in a different storage area or otherwise lost in the shuffle over the years.

That, or the articulation-heavy ball joint-happy designs were much harder on the steel molds than the G1 bricks of brickitude.

Edited by unluckiness, 16 June 2020 - 08:01 AM.

XgxCpmP.png

#9 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13475 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:03 AM

I'd prefer to see more Beast Wars MP projects instead.

fingers crossed for Airazor; that would be neat.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#10 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3660 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:32 AM

I'd rather they just be rolled into generations, put through the g1 filter if necessary like the headmaster era beasts. Give me jetwinged robogryphon Silverbolt, even if it's only a Wolfwire retool.

#11 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 1376 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

As mentioned: there have been re-releases (10th anniversary, tele-mocha, Big Convoy...), G1 was bigger/more nostalgia for it.

But also, there may be a handful(TM Megatron, original Rattrap), of original BW molds that are pricey on the secondary market, but not all that many. (And some molds would have to be re-created, original Rattrap was supposedly planned for 10th anniversary but the mold was lost/unuseable) It is a finite world, there are finite resources, so the concept of "opportunity costs" exists. Hasbro/TT could theoretically do BW reissues, but could they spend the same resources on something else that would be *more* profitable? Probably.

Given current costs, how much would BW reissues cost? A BW Ultra mass & parts count might be as much as or even more than a current leader class. Want to pay $50-$60 for a retail BW Ultra? How many BW Ultras go for more than that on the secondary market?

#12 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3660 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

With the retail space what it is, an important question is also 'Who would carry the line?' As the attempted Animated restart line showed, if there's no takers, it's not going to happen.

#13 TriBlurr

TriBlurr

The Purple Monkey

• Citizen
  • 6657 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

They've been hinting at plans for the BW anniversary next year in several recent interviews.

Whether that boils down to reissues or new toys in generations remains to be seen.

#14 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40313 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

Some of the original molds are probably worn out beyond use by now, or just lost or buried in a warehouse. And frankly, a lot of them aren't really worth the premium they'd cost for a reissue when the originals aren't hard to find at a reasonable price.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. A quick ebay search shows over 1000 MISB/MOSC listings for Beast wars toys and they aren't that expensive.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#15 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30631 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

the attempted Animated restart line

The what, now? :???

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#16 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9784 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

With Hasbro regularly re-issuing various G1 stuff, I have to ask; why not Beast Wars?

Because they tried that once and they didn't exactly fly off the shelves?

#17 ssg4life

ssg4life
  • Supporter
  • 2387 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

i adore beast wars. it's what got me in to the franchise (even though i had a g2 seaspray first and liked my younger brother's transformers). but i am content not getting reissues. the previous anniversary line was nice, and those upgrade primal and megatron figures with the axalon and darksyde were great. if hasbro went that way to make some of the figures a little more show accurate like tm cheetor, rattrap, and tarantulas, i'd buy em. but i'd really like a new line, do something like classic characters from the show, a few select upgrades from the rest of the line, and infuse a few new characters

#18 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12939 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

I had the same question. The only thing I could think of was the BotCon set. 

#19 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4964 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

Because they tried that once and they didn't exactly fly off the shelves?

Yeah, happened around the time G1 reissues puttered out because they weren't flying off shelves :p

#20 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3660 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

There was talk here a while ago that when Animated started being repeated, Hasbro went to retailers trying to find anyone interested in rereleases of some of the toys, but nobody bit and that was as far as it went.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users