Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 January 2021 - 06:26 PM)

It's only murder and that is all, why should I feel the way I do...

@  Rufus : (25 January 2021 - 01:37 PM)

It's only murder if it comes from the Murder region of France, otherwise it's just suspiciously deceased.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 January 2021 - 09:17 AM)

It's only murder if they find the body, otherwise it's just a missing persons case.

@  Telly : (24 January 2021 - 02:31 AM)

so light yagami is a BAD role model? but ive already got a death note...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 January 2021 - 11:43 PM)

Do you always model proper behavior after anime characters?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2021 - 06:34 PM)

Don't forget Yu-Gi-Oh and the Millennium items.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 January 2021 - 02:51 PM)

There was a five season anime with wearing relics as the premise.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 January 2021 - 01:16 PM)

You don't wear relics, you enshrine them.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2021 - 06:23 PM)

Wrong holey... and probably the wrong way to dress too.

@  Rycochet : (22 January 2021 - 06:09 PM)

If your underwear is old and holy, it is considered a relic and should be protected with your life.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2021 - 02:04 PM)

That's the argument we keep making: but I still need to wait till feb 8th minimum to replace my holey underwear.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2021 - 01:57 PM)

Personally I'm glad Ontario wasn't so misguided as to try to define what is or isn't "essential" for big box stores like Walmart to sell. If someone is stuck at home literally for weeks and unable to go out, who's to say a new TV or game console isn't essential (if only for one's sanity) if theirs breaks down?

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2021 - 01:55 PM)

Although fortunately, Ontario's daily cases and positivity rate has been on a steady decline for the past week or so; if they can get the vaccinations back on track, there is some hope.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2021 - 01:53 PM)

And as far as Canada's lockdowns go, I'm guessing none of them will end until late March, or perhaps the beginning of April. What small businesses that might be left at that point will be allowed to open for their going out of business sales.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2021 - 01:52 PM)

Unfortunately the CEO of Target Canada made more money by running the company into the ground than he ever would have had he made it a success, so there was zero incentive to succeed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Target made some serious mistakes when they came into Canada. They focused on opening like 150+ stores within a 2 year timeframe and had no online infrastructure whatsoever; their website literally only contained legal blurbs and a store locator... lacking even the ability to see what they sold in stores, or if it was in stock and, if so, where. They should have started with 1/3 the number of stores with a full online experience including online shopping and inventory checking

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2021 - 12:35 PM)

See; quebec is under a new lockdown, have been since the 26th. It's supposed to end the 8th of february, but probably won't. Stores are only supposed to sell necessities (in deference to the stores which are closed.), but the quebec government made no effort define what counts as a "necessity", only punished them for getting it wrong. So I can buy all the candy I want, but not underwear, boots, winterwear, small appliances. Hell, my brother had to explain why he wanted a FUSE when he needed to fix his stove shortly before new years.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2021 - 12:31 PM)

Targets don't exist in canada anymore. They lasted like 3 years before abandoning the market. But even if they WERE still here: they would be under the same poorly defined restrictions as walmart.

@  -LittleAutob... : (22 January 2021 - 12:10 PM)

Target's better-

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2021 - 07:51 AM)

HA! my walmarts can't even sell underwear. There's no clearances going on up here.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 January 2021 - 11:31 PM)

Check your Walmarts: Post-Christmas clearances are going on and I snagged Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered for Switch for only $5 (YMMV)

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 January 2021 - 03:15 PM)

*walks out on stage* Umm, I don't know how to tell everyone this, but Conway Twitty's been dead for nearly 30 years, now. So...*dances awkwardly as distraction*

@  tigerhawk : (21 January 2021 - 10:47 AM)

uh oh we need a distraction, ladies and gentlemen Conway Twitty.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 10:20 AM)

*screaming internally*

@  -LittleAutob... : (21 January 2021 - 09:46 AM)

Everything is f i n e

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 January 2021 - 08:30 AM)

Everything's okay until it isn't. That's life.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 08:12 AM)

Oh my god... I forgot entirely about yellowstone.

@  tigerhawk : (21 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Until the third civil war. Or yellowstone, whatever's good.

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2021 - 06:01 PM)

That's not true. An adult man is in control of the White House now.

@  repowers : (19 January 2021 - 03:18 PM)

Everything's out of control.

@  -LittleAutob... : (19 January 2021 - 09:51 AM)

*cough* w h a t?

@  Donocropolis : (19 January 2021 - 09:48 AM)

Cause your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance they ain't no friends of mine

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2021 - 08:52 AM)

You could leave your friends behind.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 January 2021 - 09:43 PM)

You could if you really wanted to.

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

Nadie puede decir algo diferente >:D

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

......... all wounds heal through God. *walks off*

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 January 2021 - 01:01 PM)

Let me know when the WEAPONs wake up.

@  tigerhawk : (18 January 2021 - 05:18 AM)

Or is the wound the Earth healing.

@  unluckiness : (18 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Healing is just destroying the wound

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 06:08 PM)

But eventually destroys everything.

@  tigerhawk : (17 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Heals many wounds

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 02:03 PM)

Time.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2021 - 07:53 AM)

I dunno, maybe. I'm not clairvoyant either...

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Covid?

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 09:50 PM)

At this point, if I'm going to die then it won't be the wait what killed me. It didn't help any, mind you, but it's not what got me.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 January 2021 - 09:37 PM)

Technically we are all literally dying to play with our next figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 05:36 PM)

I am figuratively dying to play with that cheetor.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 04:39 PM)

Still waiting for my box from BBTS to arrive.

@  tigerhawk : (16 January 2021 - 04:29 PM)

Kingdoms is fantabulous and it's only the first wave.

@  tigerhawk : (12 January 2021 - 12:10 PM)

My Super Collection Megatron always had two left legs and I just discovered my Thrilling 30 Crosscut has two right hips.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm leaving the AllSpark

42 replies to this topic

#1 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4901 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:56 PM

Im done with The Allspark. I hope you will read this and understand my reasoning in why I am leaving. I'm posting it in general despite the political connotations of my reasons for accessability.

I didnt want this to happen but the actions and tone of this place over the past year, starting with the Pete and Botcon debacle and culminating with the discussion of events happening in the US right now, I have to follow my conscience and disassociate from this place and the majority of fandom in general. This place, P&R in particular as of late, is not an anti-racist space and I can no longer take part in it without betraying my own values as well as my partners, my other black friends and their struggle.

I originally thought about leaving back after the Botcon incident. I think in hindsight, a lot of us should have. While I respect the mods who resigned in protest, some of the current staff have told me that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes issues that wont ever come to light but to trust in what theyre doing. That is a poor excuse to tell people who are going to invest money in a gathering of fans and who probably wouldnt if these issues were in the open and not just known to a select few. This is a diverse fandom: we have so many LGBTQ and POC fans. Transparency is a must for true trust to exist. However, I ignored my instinct and decided to stick around despite my discomfort with how that issue was handled and how a lot of criticism towards it was handled by some of the staff.

Coming to more recent events and the straw that broke the camels back for me. Long story short: P&R had a topic from a poster called Why I dont believe in reparations. The OP made no effort to counter arguments against his stance. Just uncreative trolling. Back in the day this topic wouldve been shut down with a big NOPE. Instead it took a couple of days and me getting into an argument with the guy to train wreck the thread and get it closed. There are other threads where people are actively calling the protesters thugs and trash. To those of you doing that I say this: You dont have the right to delegitimize the way people protest. If you dont agree with it, invest that energy you were going to waste shouting at them doing something helpful for the people that need it instead. Traditionally, we have always been a more liberally minded board than some of our counterparts (as far as I can tell, there is no hugnotheallspark.tumblr.com unlike with TFW2005). I dont think we are that space anymore and it pains me. Perhaps we never were and Ive only just opened my eyes to that.

My big point is this (if you read nothing else here, please read this):

A number of people in toy orientated fandoms like Transformers, Star Wars, MOTU, GI Joe and every single other action figure line seem to miss the point these toys teach us as children: you fight the villains, the cowards and the bullies in life and you stand up for those who need help or who needs someone to stand up alongside them. Im sure some critics will say that life isnt black and white and thats a somewhat childish view to take: that politics has no place in fandom. I vehemently disagree. It is that simple when it comes to human decency and compassion, and the lessons we learn from those properties are inherently political. If you're an adult who collects toys yet your politics and beliefs are more in line with the villains of your childhood or you choose to remain neutral and inactive, you have utterly failed as a human being.

Its not enough to be a non-racist anymore. Silence on racial issues is compliance with systemic racism and it is harmful. You have to be actively anti-racist. We dont have to agree on everything but we must agree on that.

This is a difficult decision for me. I have been a member here for 16 years and lurked for years before that. This place has meant a lot to me. I contributed money to the servers a few times over the years and I still cherish my Coffee Kup to this day. The Allspark was here for me while I was isolated after my immigration and while I didnt publicize it, it was of great comfort to me during my divorce. Am I a prolific member of this place? No. I may never have stood out to some of you and Im fine with that. Some of you may be sad at my leaving and some of you may say good riddance. I know some of you are right there with me in these feelings about our society and the spaces we occupy both in real life and online such as this one. I advise you to question your involvement here as I have done.

I will stick around for another day or two to monitor any responses this last topic of mine may get. If any of you I have become friendly with over the years wish to have a way to contact me once Ive closed out my account, just msg me.
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#2 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 20143 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:53 PM

You definitely need to do what you need to do for your own personal sanity.

Personally, I think you may be putting way too much on the shoulders of a toy forum. While we absolutely can't be silent in real life when facing the kind of crap that's going on right now, this place, or any random webforum will likely not change anyone's opinion on anything.

But take care and be safe.

Edited by Dake, 01 June 2020 - 07:53 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#3 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Citizen
  • 23120 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:51 PM

Well said Liege, and right now I think it's worth considering going from simple resignation to just up and leaving. I don't need the Allspark to keep up with my Mayhem family, and I've fostered safe fandom spaces elsewhere. I'm attached to this place by a lot of sentiment, but I dunno how much that's worth or if that's a healthy reason.

But either way, stay safe Liege.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#4 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

Blanket Burrito

• Administrator
  • 41707 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear it. Take whatever time you need. If sometime down the line you feel things are different, the door will always be open.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#5 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52767 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

I don't know if you remember but we met at one of the Botcons. I want to say the second to last one but I'm not 100%. It was me you and I think Onyx Prime in a restaurant.

You came across as a really good guy and I greatly enjoyed our conversation.

I wish you the best in your travels and as has been said you'll always be welcome back.

Edited by MrBlud, 01 June 2020 - 10:07 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#6 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:14 PM

Im done with The Allspark. I hope you will read this and understand my reasoning in why I am leaving. I'm posting it in general despite the political connotations of my reasons for accessability.

I didnt want this to happen but the actions and tone of this place over the past year, starting with the Pete and Botcon debacle and culminating with the discussion of events happening in the US right now, I have to follow my conscience and disassociate from this place and the majority of fandom in general. This place, P&R in particular as of late, is not an anti-racist space and I can no longer take part in it without betraying my own values as well as my partners, my other black friends and their struggle.

I originally thought about leaving back after the Botcon incident. I think in hindsight, a lot of us should have. While I respect the mods who resigned in protest, some of the current staff have told me that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes issues that wont ever come to light but to trust in what theyre doing. That is a poor excuse to tell people who are going to invest money in a gathering of fans and who probably wouldnt if these issues were in the open and not just known to a select few. This is a diverse fandom: we have so many LGBTQ and POC fans. Transparency is a must for true trust to exist. However, I ignored my instinct and decided to stick around despite my discomfort with how that issue was handled and how a lot of criticism towards it was handled by some of the staff.

Coming to more recent events and the straw that broke the camels back for me. Long story short: P&R had a topic from a poster called Why I dont believe in reparations. The OP made no effort to counter arguments against his stance. Just uncreative trolling. Back in the day this topic wouldve been shut down with a big NOPE. Instead it took a couple of days and me getting into an argument with the guy to train wreck the thread and get it closed. There are other threads where people are actively calling the protesters thugs and trash. To those of you doing that I say this: You dont have the right to delegitimize the way people protest. If you dont agree with it, invest that energy you were going to waste shouting at them doing something helpful for the people that need it instead. Traditionally, we have always been a more liberally minded board than some of our counterparts (as far as I can tell, there is no hugnotheallspark.tumblr.com unlike with TFW2005). I dont think we are that space anymore and it pains me. Perhaps we never were and Ive only just opened my eyes to that.

My big point is this (if you read nothing else here, please read this):

A number of people in toy orientated fandoms like Transformers, Star Wars, MOTU, GI Joe and every single other action figure line seem to miss the point these toys teach us as children: you fight the villains, the cowards and the bullies in life and you stand up for those who need help or who needs someone to stand up alongside them. Im sure some critics will say that life isnt black and white and thats a somewhat childish view to take: that politics has no place in fandom. I vehemently disagree. It is that simple when it comes to human decency and compassion, and the lessons we learn from those properties are inherently political. If you're an adult who collects toys yet your politics and beliefs are more in line with the villains of your childhood or you choose to remain neutral and inactive, you have utterly failed as a human being.

Its not enough to be a non-racist anymore. Silence on racial issues is compliance with systemic racism and it is harmful. You have to be actively anti-racist. We dont have to agree on everything but we must agree on that.

This is a difficult decision for me. I have been a member here for 16 years and lurked for years before that. This place has meant a lot to me. I contributed money to the servers a few times over the years and I still cherish my Coffee Kup to this day. The Allspark was here for me while I was isolated after my immigration and while I didnt publicize it, it was of great comfort to me during my divorce. Am I a prolific member of this place? No. I may never have stood out to some of you and Im fine with that. Some of you may be sad at my leaving and some of you may say good riddance. I know some of you are right there with me in these feelings about our society and the spaces we occupy both in real life and online such as this one. I advise you to question your involvement here as I have done.

I will stick around for another day or two to monitor any responses this last topic of mine may get. If any of you I have become friendly with over the years wish to have a way to contact me once Ive closed out my account, just msg me.

For the record, Liege, you did nothing but troll and insult me on my thread.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

"Taste the cruel bite of my ruthless weaponry."

#7 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52430 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

Thundercracker Prime, the thread was locked for a reason, and no one is asking you to start anything back up here. I hope you can understand that this thread is a bit more important to Liege than whatever grievance you have. Please show a little respect and stay out of it.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12005 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

What others have said, take care, Liege. We'll miss you.

You have to take care of yourself first, but we'll always be here if you want to drop in briefly.

#9 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60695 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:26 PM

With all that's going on right now, where people are literally dying and being murdered by police in broad daylight, everyone I know is both angry and heartbroken.

This country is in shambles right now and I sure don't know what to do about it. The Allspark is and always has been the most progressive community about toys you'll ever see. But for fuck sakes, this place is also supposed to be a refuge from the horrors of day to day life. Whether it be the pandemic that has cost us thousands lives or seeing people of color killed over and over again.

Yes it affects us all but Jesus christ.. To compare what's happening in the world with some guy's shitty opinions is absurd.

To imply that this community is racist because we're not "anti-racist" is absurd.

What exactly is it you would have this site do? I'm really asking.

But don't mistake us not leading protests as some sort of apathy. As individuals we all have a part we can play and I believe we should. If you can, protest. If you can, vote for change.

I wish I had solutions to solve problems as old as this country but I don't.

#10 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60695 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:02 PM

The fact people actually care that you're leaving should say something about this community. If you posted this in most Facebook groups you'd just get spammed with troll "well... Bye" and "This isn't the airport..." memes.

#11 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15459 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:03 PM

This is why I can't go into P&R. I peeked a little way back when. I still remember some of the threads and conversations there where I simply cannot wrap my head around how some people can think that way. I end up digging myself deeper and deeper into panicking, feeling useless, cowardly, hopeless when thinking about such things, never mind trying to argue.

In any case, I don't know you but respect your choice. Stay strong and stay safe.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49070 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:07 PM

As others have said, do what you need to do for your own personal sanity. This is a dark, terrible time and sometimes you've got to prioritize your own engagement level. You and I have never interacted much, but I will say I'll miss your insight and perspective. But again - do what you need to do for you. In time, if you want, you can poke your head back in and say hello. The door's always open.

Stay safe and be well.

#13 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4901 posts
  • Location:Providence RI (Formerly Pittsburgh PA &amp; Wales UK)

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:35 PM

With all that's going on right now, where people are literally dying and being murdered by police in broad daylight, everyone I know is both angry and heartbroken.
This country is in shambles right now and I sure don't know what to do about it. The Allspark is and always has been the most progressive community about toys you'll ever see. But for hug sakes, this place is also supposed to be a refuge from the horrors of day to day life. Whether it be the pandemic that has cost us thousands lives or seeing people of color killed over and over again.
Yes it affects us all but Jesus christ.. To compare what's happening in the world with some guy's shitty opinions is absurd.
To imply that this community is racist because we're not "anti-racist" is absurd.
What exactly is it you would have this site do? I'm really asking.
But don't mistake us not leading protests as some sort of apathy. As individuals we all have a part we can play and I believe we should. If you can, protest. If you can, vote for change.
I wish I had solutions to solve problems as old as this country but I don't.

Kal, you're not hearing me. The community is not racist and there are some good people here but it's not what it once was. Just because we're more progressive than TFw2005 and Seibertron doesn't mean we're perfect. We can do more. It's not just enough to be non-racist anymore and seeing that some people here aren't getting that has lead me to feel I can't participate here in good faith.

And in all honesty my faith in this place and by extension you was really shaken by the Pete incident. I know you need money to keep things running but something broke that day and I haven't felt right about this place since. I wish you well and I thank you for the good memories I will carry of this place.

Also TC Prime: I gave you a well argued rebuttal and your only response was to call me a racist. My original comment only said for you to educate yourself otherwise you would have to remove the thunder from your name, a fun bit of word play which triggered you and makes me feel somewhat sorry for you as it seems you've lived in an echo chamber until now, unable to deal with people criticizing your insulated viewpoints. I never flat out called you that insult until you went fully on the attack against me. I don't apologize for what I said to you and I think you have a lot of growing up to do. that said, I wish you success in that journey of growth and education.
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#14 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60695 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:48 PM

If you can somehow conflate opting to host a discord channel for a toy convention and unarmed black men and women being murdered by police I'm not sure I *can* reason with that. To be honest, I find the comparison rather distasteful.

#15 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2543 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:41 AM

1. If this is a place where you have friends that you like, respect and appreciate, then you are abandoning them for ideals. If this is a place you came to genuinely discuss giant robots and other such things, then you are abandoning what you love for ideals.
  2. I never considered this place all that progressive. I mean, like most of the polite internet, it marches to the progressive drum of course, which means I frequently run into political opinions that I don't share. But I confront those where I deem it necessary, or just give up and go about my day.
  3. Hasbro will never be as progressive as you want. They're a kids toy company first and foremost, and children aren't too concerned with such things. One day, you will find that your ideals are so far from Hasbro's that you will need to either accept it and reconcile, or give up. This is Allspark Exodus merely a preview.
  4. If you believe P&R is no longer a place where you can discuss politics the way you want, then stop going in there. However, you have to acknowledge that the only place anybody will ever find that politics is discussed in the way they want is an echo chamber.
  5. If you quit every place where people don't agree with you, and only focus on those where they do, you run the risk of one day putting yourself in a position where you say something and nobody defends you, because nobody dissents. I'm not saying this will happen, but it's a real possibility.

I genuinely currently have friends who, when they expressed certain political positions to me, I abhorred those positions. I still do. However, I still hold those friends dear, because fighting over politics is dumb.

At the end of the day, large-scale politics is just how we organize our government, and most governments can't solve it's way out of most paper bag sized problems. You have to deal with your own stuff, and holding your friends close is part of that. That is, unless they're genuinely bad people.

Again, disagreeing with you politically does not make them bad people.

As for the rest of you; I understand you wanting the best for our friend acquaintance, but don't you think encouraging or at least kindly condoning people leaving will have a terrible knock on effect for the forum going forward? I get the genuine feeling that this place is an institution. It's been here long before I knew it existed, and after the many cherished days I've spent here I'd like it to be here long after I'm gone (yes, I do indeed mean "dead"). The fact that nobody is defending it is a bit much.

Edited by fourteenwings, 02 June 2020 - 12:48 AM.

Fortune favors the bold

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#16 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52767 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:15 AM

Hasbro will never be as progressive as you want. They're a kids toy company first and foremost, and children aren't too concerned with such things. One day, you will find that your ideals are so far from Hasbro's that you will need to either accept it and reconcile, or give up. This is Allspark Exodus merely a preview.

Black children are pretty concerned with being able to grow up.

Edited by MrBlud, 02 June 2020 - 01:15 AM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#17 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

Blanket Burrito

• Administrator
  • 41707 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:26 AM

anymore

I want to zero in on that word. Anymore. There's a built in concession there that maybe this place hasn't really changed, but what we're doing isn't enough anymore. Or maybe we have changed. Or both. It could be. But I think that anymore is the real key here.

We probably have changed. Everyone and everything is changing these days. We're living in a time when many of us are realizing we have responsibilities we didn't know we had. We're learning that the roles we play have obligations we didn't know we signed up for. Certain things aren't enough anymore. Nobody's supposed to be a bystander anymore. We've all got mountains on our shoulders now, and we're all at our own stages of figuring it all out. There's going to be people who aren't as far along as you yet. You might not be as far along as you think you are.

This is also a toy board. It's supposed to be an escape from a lot of that. Sometimes we just want to forget everything and just be kids again and play with our toys. It's what brought us here in the first place.

These are not perfectly compatible pressures we're trying to juggle here. If we don't reach a decision you want, or we do reach a decision you want but don't reach it as quickly as you'd like us to, it's because we're neither checking a handy guidebook of one size fits all decisions nor throwing darts at a board. We take time because we're trying, man. We're really trying.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49070 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:33 AM

As for the rest of you; I understand you wanting the best for our friend acquaintance, but don't you think encouraging or at least kindly condoning people leaving will have a terrible knock on effect for the forum going forward? I get the genuine feeling that this place is an institution. It's been here long before I knew it existed, and after the many cherished days I've spent here I'd like it to be here long after I'm gone (yes, I do indeed mean "dead"). The fact that nobody is defending it is a bit much.

If a person doesn't feel comfortable, why try to guilt/force them into staying? Being perfectly honest here, we're a relic of a bygone era of the Internet as it is. Forums are kind of a institution, but they generally aren't the forefront of communication that they used to be and none of us are getting any younger. Obviously continuing to have traffic to the forums is a big draw to the overall health of the site as a whole, but I dare say behaving like those who post here have an obligation to continue posting is the wrong move.

I've been here for 16 years. I've seen more people leave then stay. I've also pretty much retreated to the subforum that Liege is stating is his biggest deciding factor for leaving. I'm sorry he feels the way he does about it, but especially in regards to politics and religion a person who isn't comfortable ought not be shoved down in a chair and forced to participate in an enviornment they do not feel comfortable in.

Edited by Rust, 02 June 2020 - 01:35 AM.

#19 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9705 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:22 AM

Is there somewhere else I can read about this "Botcon incident" without pulling a Venkman and derailing this thread?  It would provide some much-needed context for those of us not in the know.

Edited by Pale Rider, 02 June 2020 - 02:23 AM.

#20 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49070 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:30 AM

Here and a follow up here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users