Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Pike Enterprise streaming series coming to CBS All Access

91 replies to this topic

#21 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51430 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:56 PM

So, how long until they start moving into introducing the core TOS characters to move full bore to a remake of the The Original Series? :p

They're going to be five seasons in, having introduced everyone but Kirk and Bones, and get greenlit for another season and be like ... "Welp. Temporal anomaly time. Section 31 has neuralizers, right?"

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#22 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17723 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

I am really curious to see what they do with a Section 31 show. But maybe I shouldn't speculate considering I still haven't seen Discovery.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#23 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51430 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:00 AM

Having seen all of Discovery so far, I'm bloody terrified and have no idea what they're thinking. That version of Section 31 is just straight up the space CIA. They assassinate dictators and perform nasty secret experiments and that's their whole deal.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 May 2020 - 07:01 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#24 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17723 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:03 AM

I was kind of hoping whenever section 31 was addressed again they would make it a newer phenomenon, despite Sloan saying they've been part of the Federation since it's original charter. This way there's some wiggle room with their brutality, as opposed to, nah, we're the reason you have paradise. Suck it up nannies.

#25 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33490 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Section 31's theme tune? "Party In The C.I.A" by Weird Al Yankovic. 

Edited by CORVUS, 16 May 2020 - 02:46 PM.

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is…umm…really, really dumb and bad. " - Strong Bad

#26 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

Honestly, I'm hopeful SNW stays well and truly far away from Section 31. I know they WON'T, but I live in hope. Yet on the ironic other hand, I do hope SNW deals with that one big part of Pike's character from the original pilot that is just left hanging there and not really talked about in subsequent appearances/takes on the character. Specifically how he was mulling over the idea of quitting Starfleet to be a Orion Slave Trader.

#27 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51430 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

To be clear, I only brought up Section 31 as a joke about avoiding continuity conflicts in an immediate prequel to an existing show. I wasn't actually saying I expect them to be involved in SNW. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 16 May 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#28 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

Oh I think it's safe to say Section 31 will be involved. They've been poking their member into every series since they were conceptualized.

#29 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10816 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

I was kind of hoping whenever section 31 was addressed again they would make it a newer phenomenon, despite Sloan saying they've been part of the Federation since it's original charter. This way there's some wiggle room with their brutality, as opposed to, nah, we're the reason you have paradise. Suck it up nannies.

That'd be tough to do, as they were even featured briefly in Enterprise. They've been around since the beginning of Starfleet, not just the Federation.

#30 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

I really think the moment when you say, "Oh there's an evil version of Captain Georgiau who was cruel empress of the Mirror Universe?  I'd like to get her in for an interview" you should also stop and reassess everything.

#31 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

It really is fortunate that our crews happen upon Mirror Universe counterparts they have a passing familiarity with so they have a bit of leverage in interacting with them. Imagine what would happen if they happened upon the Mirror Universe counterpart of a vessel with a totally different crew.

I think the only time that kind of happened was the Pocketverse novel "Dark MIrror", in which the TNG crew met their Mirror counterparts and they were lacking Data and Geordi.

Edited by Rust, 16 May 2020 - 06:21 PM.

#32 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

Among infinite universes this one is the mirror one for some reason.  There is some kind of entanglement keeping people on track.

#33 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1832 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

Considering all the tiebacks started with DS9, maybe it's something to do with the prophets/orbs/wormhole.  STO(I know) had a mission involving a mirror universe orb that made it to our side called the "Orb of Possibilities" and something like that could have done it. 

Another possibility could be the Defiant crossing over in the first place "contaminated" the other universe with the Prime to entangled them.

#34 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

All I know is I refuse to acknowledge the Enterprise two parter. I'd rather watch Nemesis again.

#35 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10816 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

I dunno, I still kinda get a kick out of seeing Zefram mow down the captain of the T'Plana-Hath.

Anyway, it may just be that they've always been entangled and fairly congruent for *insert technobabble here*, and that's precisely why it tends to be the parallel Universe of choice that people are transported to when freak accidents occur.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 16 May 2020 - 09:02 PM.

#36 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51430 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:49 PM

It just ends up being incredibly cringe IMO. A universe where all the same people are born (either the same couples must end up having sex on the same days, or all timelines in which a genetically different child is conceived are cosmically censored) and all the same ships are built, but everything is evil exactly all of the time. There's an Evil McDonalds and an Evil Starbucks there. That's why for me the Enterprise take was one of the better ones: a self-indulgent whackadoo sidetrack that just let the cast, who weren't even going to get to take the lead roles in their own finale, dork around being cartoon villains. And it had the evil intro, which is just cheesy fun whenever it's done. 

Discovery used the Mirror Universe for comic book retcon silliness, and in a better show that wasn't somehow simultaneously trying to be one of the serious ones, that might have been okay too, but this was not that show. Evil Georgiou is at least a fun character to have around, and Tilly pretending to be evil Tilly was exactly perfect. The Mirror Universe is also the device used to remove any nuance or threat from Lorca shortly before removing him from the show, though, so even as a device it causes at least as much damage as it does good. 

In general, I think it's one of the dumbest recurring devices in all of Star Trek. If you want to do the alternate wacky world that comically parallels our own sort of thing, just do an episode as a spaghetti western or a 90s sitcom. Like, probably not on the set budget of Enterprise, but Discovery put an awful lot of effort into their Mirror episodes. 

#37 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34883 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

Well on DS9, the exactly evil didn't happen.  Most of the DS9 cast is good in the Mirror Universe.

#38 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS
  • Supporter
  • 17723 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:19 AM

I don't know about that. The only one who is "good" is Smiley because alternate universe or no, O'Brien is just too genuine to be evil. Otherwise its basically bad guys versus badder guys.

#39 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9439 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

Honestly, I'm hopeful SNW stays well and truly far away from Section 31. I know they WON'T, but I live in hope. Yet on the ironic other hand, I do hope SNW deals with that one big part of Pike's character from the original pilot that is just left hanging there and not really talked about in subsequent appearances/takes on the character. Specifically how he was mulling over the idea of quitting Starfleet to be a Orion Slave Trader.

I really doubt they’ll mention the slave trader part specifically. That doesn’t fit anything. As for just leaving Starfleet, I always figured that his experience on Talos IV left him feeling renewed. 

Akiva Goldsman indicates that the format of the show is going to be exactly what I’d hoped for. 
https://trekmovie.co...ays-co-creator/

#40 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51430 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

It's like Christmas. = o

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users