Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

Photo

Some GI Joe fans are a little ticked-off...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#41 TrentTroop

TrentTroop

He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is.

• Citizen
  • 4267 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Waspinator's Muse @ Oct 12 2006, 03:44 AM) View Post
To me however the membership to the club is not worth it. As I'd only use it to get the discount off the Botcon price. But it'd end up being the same price so... meh no huge loss there.

But it isn't the same price. You save a total of $10, get the newsletters and you get the exclsuive basic.

As for the Joe fan response: What's good for the goose is good for the gander, fellows. The interaction of the two cons needs to be determined in what's fair and what's pheasible. I would fully expect a lesser treatment of Botcon on the eve of a Joe feature film. Perhaps we can finally move to alternating scheduling.

-Trent

Edited by TrentTroop, 13 October 2006 - 03:32 PM.

#42 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ Oct 13 2006, 02:29 PM) View Post

The more I hear "combine the conventions", frankly, the worse the idea sounds. I can't imagine what kind of panel-schedule nightmare that would be.

Plus, TF fandom is a bit more on the guest/panel-heavy side anyway (as in, we HAVE them). A combo con would likely end up being primarily a TF convention ANYWAY, further pissing off the Joe fan base.

I can't see combining them being a good idea.

M "For The CUSTOMERS, At Least" Sipher

I don't think it would be so easy for them either. having twice as much work to do... not to mention the coliding of two huge crowds of people. if you thought getting around the dealer room was bad, try twice that many people. and the hotel... I have a feeling those elevators will be packed all the time. it was bad enough when the fast-food places in the food court ran out of supplies. it's just totally going to be a [email protected]#$%.

QUOTE(S_Christopher @ Oct 13 2006, 04:05 PM) View Post

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Oct 13 2006, 02:08 PM) View Post

I'd be shocked if 2007 doesn't post at least twice the attendance figures '06 had.

You never know it is only 8 months months away so it's hard to say, if anything it might be JUST the same as this year's BotCon

But there are too many variables to say either way

I mentioned already in this thread I suspect they might notice a difference in pre-registration numbers VS walk-ins. attendance was boosted a lot by the walk-ins this year. anyone see that line? anyone get an idea of how many were in both lines? maybe we should ask FP if they'll disclose some numbers, even rough ones like 1/3rd to 1/4th being walk-ins. I noticed FP doesn't put the number showing how many people pre-registered before you, like 3H did. my OTFCC badges show 1206 (last minute) and 501 (early).

oh, speaking of your place in line pre-registering... what did the first 100 pre-registrants get? ah, here we go. "a special golden disk cloisonn? lapel pin". anyone get a look at those? are those just the things that came in the boxed set of exclusives?

QUOTE(TrentTroop @ Oct 13 2006, 04:14 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Waspinator's Muse @ Oct 12 2006, 03:44 AM) View Post
To me however the membership to the club is not worth it. As I'd only use it to get the discount off the Botcon price. But it'd end up being the same price so... meh no huge loss there.

But it isn't the same price. You save a total of $10, get the newsletters and you get the exclsuive basic.

As for the Joe fan response: What's good for the goose is good for the gander, fellows. The interaction of the two cons needs to be determined in what's fair and what's pheasible. I would fully expect a lesser treatment of Botcon on the eve of a Joe feature film. Perhaps we can finally move to alternating scheduling.

-Trent

yeah... if anything, you get 6 club magazines (what is that, 36 pages of comics?) and a free basic... thrown in for nothing. sort of as an incentive for attending the convention. of course... if you don't attend, it's totally NOT a free incentive. :> the club membership, convention, and exclusive set is NOT meant to be broken up. then again, look on eBay and you'll see it's not so bad. sell your exclusive set and what did it all cost you?

#43 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(RavageX-9 @ Oct 13 2006, 05:26 PM) View Post
I don't think it would be so easy for them either. having twice as much work to do... not to mention the coliding of two huge crowds of people. if you thought getting around the dealer room was bad, try twice that many people. and the hotel... I have a feeling those elevators will be packed all the time. it was bad enough when the fast-food places in the food court ran out of supplies. it's just totally going to be a [email protected]#$%.
While your points about the hotel and food places are no doubt valid, Savage is quite explicit that any "combined" dealer room would be twice as large, so I wouldn't worry too much about crowds there. Twice as many people (maybe), but twice as much space, equals same crowd density! Not to mention that, although FP might have a lot more work to do for the time they're doing it, they get more time off later in the year, too!

I mentioned already in this thread I suspect they might notice a difference in pre-registration numbers VS walk-ins. attendance was boosted a lot by the walk-ins this year. anyone see that line? anyone get an idea of how many were in both lines? maybe we should ask FP if they'll disclose some numbers, even rough ones like 1/3rd to 1/4th being walk-ins. I noticed FP doesn't put the number showing how many people pre-registered before you, like 3H did. my OTFCC badges show 1206 (last minute) and 501 (early).
This is a tree we've barked up before. FP is very firm on this. They don't release numbers. Never have, and never will. They think it's bad for business. (Afraid of competition or something. I don't understand it either. The point is, they're not gonna budge on that one.)

oh, speaking of your place in line pre-registering... what did the first 100 pre-registrants get? ah, here we go. "a special golden disk cloisonn? lapel pin". anyone get a look at those? are those just the things that came in the boxed set of exclusives?
I haven't seen the "first 100" pin, myself, but am absolutely sure that it's a distinct item from the pin that's in the boxed set.

yeah... if anything, you get 6 club magazines (what is that, 36 pages of comics?) and a free basic... thrown in for nothing. sort of as an incentive for attending the convention. of course... if you don't attend, it's totally NOT a free incentive. :> the club membership, convention, and exclusive set is NOT meant to be broken up. then again, look on eBay and you'll see it's not so bad. sell your exclusive set and what did it all cost you?
Surprisingly, other than the "attendee exclusive" Tigatron, I've not gotten my "investment" back on eBaying BotCon exclusives this year. I sold Buzzsaw for exactly what it cost me (which means a net loss after accounting for eBay fees), and didn't even make as much as Dinobot cost (when taken as a proportion of the box set cost). As I see what the other individual exclusives are going for (roughly in the $20-30 range for most of the smaller ones), I wouldn't be breaking even, even if I sold off all of them from the box set. (Well, I would after factoring in Tigatron, but if that's a "freebie," that really should count separately, anyway.)

I might do a bit better if I sold off Megatron and/or Waspinator, but I'd really like to keep those....

My two cents,
G.B. Blackrock

#44 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Oct 13 2006, 06:08 PM) View Post

Surprisingly, other than the "attendee exclusive" Tigatron, I've not gotten my "investment" back on eBaying BotCon exclusives this year. I sold Buzzsaw for exactly what it cost me (which means a net loss after accounting for eBay fees), and didn't even make as much as Dinobot cost (when taken as a proportion of the box set cost). As I see what the other individual exclusives are going for (roughly in the $20-30 range for most of the smaller ones), I wouldn't be breaking even, even if I sold off all of them from the box set. (Well, I would after factoring in Tigatron, but if that's a "freebie," that really should count separately, anyway.)

I might do a bit better if I sold off Megatron and/or Waspinator, but I'd really like to keep those....

My two cents,
G.B. Blackrock

eh... you probably get less if you sell figures individually, and loose. although it could be the regular exclusives aren't selling very well. I think the focus was on the cost of the club though...

#45 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(RavageX-9 @ Oct 13 2006, 07:06 PM) View Post

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Oct 13 2006, 06:08 PM) View Post

My two cents,
G.B. Blackrock

eh... you probably get less if you sell figures individually, and loose. although it could be the regular exclusives aren't selling very well. I think the focus was on the cost of the club though...
I've been following too many threads. This didn't seem as off-topic when I posted it as it does now. However, the original point (that there's really no reason not to join the club if you go to the convention, as it actually costs you $10 LESS total to do so, PLUS you get the club figure and 6-issues of the magazine) certainly remains.

Any money made off of selling the figures only makes that total even lower, even if not enough to compensate for the cost of attending the convention itself. At that point, it's a matter of asking, how much are you willing to pay to go to a convention? (The club being a separate issue)

#46 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16910 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

We've been rather frankly told that BC07 is in the summer because of the movie coming out. So I personally expect that we will again get summer conventions in the years when the other films in the live-action trilogy are released; I believe Don or Michael already said the first sequel was due in 2009, and let's assume the pattern holds and the final chapter is in 2012. So those summers we'd have Botcons--and in the intervening years it's back to October for us.

I could get used to having Botcon in the fall, especially if, as was shown this year, local turnout can boost attendance back to or even greater than past levels. Honestly I could live with that.

And I do sympathize with the GIJ fans. Haven't they had their convention for a whole lot longer than we've had ours, and thus been more accustomed to it? Plus they already knew Brian since back in the day, whereas we knew that he was new to us and so the fact of change in and of itself is a given.

As for who gets their show when: I really DON'T like the idea of having the shows alternate seasons every year, nor am I fond of a proposed merging of the two. Fun Publications made tremendous improvements in the 2006 show and I think they could very well have hit a good stride. Why mess with that now, and have a whole even-newer team trying to learn the show, and having their own messup and miscommunication years before they, too, get used to it?

#47 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Oct 13 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

We've been rather frankly told that BC07 is in the summer because of the movie coming out. So I personally expect that we will again get summer conventions in the years when the other films in the live-action trilogy are released; I believe Don or Michael already said the first sequel was due in 2009, and let's assume the pattern holds and the final chapter is in 2012. So those summers we'd have Botcons--and in the intervening years it's back to October for us.
Well, it should obvious to all that those other movies in the "trilogy" are entirely dependent on this movie doing well. I wouldn't make any bets yet.

#48 Quicky

Quicky
  • Supporter
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Oct 13 2006, 11:50 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Thylacine2000 @ Oct 13 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

Well, it should obvious to all that those other movies in the "trilogy" are entirely dependent on this movie doing well. I wouldn't make any bets yet.

That's my concern, especially with the re-invisioning of the bots and cons. Will I be able to take my kids to this movie? My recently turned 13 year old son will probably love it, but my 9 year old daughter might be a little freaked out.

It seems the movie is geared to the more adult crowd....time will tell.

#49 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8249 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

transformers vs gi joe: not just for comics anymore lol
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#50 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The devil tips his hat to me

• Supporter
  • 45611 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:09 AM

I'm getting a strong sense of disaster from a combined con. If the fandoms snipe back and forth at each other as much as this thread is implying, putting that many people in one dealer room sounds like a bomb waiting to blow. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Of course, that might also affect the price (if they have to rent twice as much dealer space and such, they'd have to charge more to make up for it; I doubt there'd be double the turnout, since there's bound to be overlap between the fandoms).

Really, my concern isn't time of year so much as location (I hate driving and don't really have anyone around me who'd be interested enough to go) and cost.

#51 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(TheMightyMollusk @ Oct 24 2006, 06:09 AM) View Post

I'm getting a strong sense of disaster from a combined con. If the fandoms snipe back and forth at each other as much as this thread is implying, putting that many people in one dealer room sounds like a bomb waiting to blow. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

I don't think that's so much the issue as much as "which franchise will take up the lion's share of attention at a combined con?"

I mean, as I understand it, this year was an abberation in that they had a special guest who wasn't Larry Hama. Now I grant you, having Sargeant Slaughter at your convention is f***ing AWESOME, and a bigger name than... well, pretty much all the guests at BC ever (sorry, but let's face it, more random people can doubtlessly recognize Sarge than they can pretty much any TF voice actor, especially since he's still wrestling). But it's still apparently something the Joe conventions just don't really DO often.

So not only are we talking TFs eating up a sizable bunch of the guest-budget, but then there's panel times. Running two panels at once is certainly not a good idea. I don't know what other panels go on... I assume there's a Joe comic preview, and a new product overview. But then there's the fan club stuff for TFs, the various toy-based panels. (And MSTF.)

And then, would Hasbro really want TWO of their toy-teams gone for a week-ish?

It just sounds like a bad idea, a giant organizational nightmare, and basically asking for trouble.

M "So Yeah, Let's Keep 'Em Separate" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#52 (Deactivated) Crossbonez

(Deactivated) Crossbonez
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

Personally? This pisses me off. I'm part of the G.I. Joe Fan Club. I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with Transformers. I signed up so I could be involved with all things Joe... I don't care how that relates to Transformers. That is just one more lame excuse, after getting one told to the folks at the Con.

Personally? I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with G.I. Joe. However, if things were flipped, I would understand and be happy for them.
All I have to say is:
DEAL.

We've had two fall shows, now it's your turn. Plus, you don't have a summer movie.
Peace.

#53 Draven

Draven

Caffeine Incarnate

• Citizen
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE(Crossbonez @ Oct 26 2006, 11:00 PM) View Post

Personally? This pisses me off. I'm part of the G.I. Joe Fan Club. I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with Transformers. I signed up so I could be involved with all things Joe... I don't care how that relates to Transformers. That is just one more lame excuse, after getting one told to the folks at the Con.

Personally? I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with G.I. Joe. However, if things were flipped, I would understand and be happy for them.
All I have to say is:
DEAL.
We've had two fall shows, now it's your turn. Plus, you don't have a summer movie.
Peace.

Amen.
The only GI Joe stuff I am interested in collecting now is:
-A MISB CObra Rattler
-The old European Action Force stuff from about 1982.
If I went to a joint convention I'd look at half the stuff there. And after reading the crap in the thread, I have little to no interest in interacting with GI Joe collectors.

#54 (Deactivated) Moonscream

(Deactivated) Moonscream
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(Draven @ Oct 27 2006, 02:16 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Crossbonez @ Oct 26 2006, 11:00 PM) View Post

All I have to say is:
DEAL.
Peace.

Amen.
The only GI Joe stuff I am interested in collecting now is:
-A MISB CObra Rattler
-The old European Action Force stuff from about 1982.
If I went to a joint convention I'd look at half the stuff there. And after reading the crap in the thread, I have little to no interest in interacting with GI Joe collectors.

I'm sure most of the fans are reasonable...but the ragingly jealous ones might just might spoil the batch like the aforementioned bombs waiting to explode. I wouldn't have minded seeing if I could get my brother something Joe at a combined con, but after reading that thread I'd be afraid to be near any Joe dealer tables while wearing anything TF. icon-waspy.gif

--Moony

#55 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12684 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(Moonscream @ Oct 27 2006, 08:59 AM) View Post

I'm sure most of the fans are reasonable...but the ragingly jealous ones might just might spoil the batch like the aforementioned bombs waiting to explode. I wouldn't have minded seeing if I could get my brother something Joe at a combined con, but after reading that thread I'd be afraid to be near any Joe dealer tables while wearing anything TF. icon-waspy.gif

--Moony

It probably bears repeating that the fans over at that one board may not be representative of even most online Joe fans, let alone representative of Joe fans in general.

#56 (Deactivated) Moonscream

(Deactivated) Moonscream
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Oct 27 2006, 06:41 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Moonscream @ Oct 27 2006, 08:59 AM) View Post

--Moony

It probably bears repeating that the fans over at that one board may not be representative of even most online Joe fans, let alone representative of Joe fans in general.

Oh, I know...its just I'd be wary in case one of the other customers at said table(s) was one of the bombs. icon-wildride.gif

--Moony

#57 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

Joe fans and TF fans are two sides of the same coin.

TFs are getting a chance to elevate this summer though. I suspect the Joe fans are more jealous than anything. TFs could end up on the same level as Aliens or Star Wars or something this year. (And Star Wars only because the last few movies really drug it down...but still.)

GI Joe will never get that big, even if they did have a movie all their own. They'd hit *maybe* Fantastic Four levels of popularity. They'd be the goofy version of Platoon, at best.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#58 (Deactivated) Bermuda Mohawk

(Deactivated) Bermuda Mohawk
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Oct 27 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

Joe fans and TF fans are two sides of the same coin.

TFs are getting a chance to elevate this summer though. I suspect the Joe fans are more jealous than anything. TFs could end up on the same level as Aliens or Star Wars or something this year. (And Star Wars only because the last few movies really drug it down...but still.)

GI Joe will never get that big, even if they did have a movie all their own. They'd hit *maybe* Fantastic Four levels of popularity. They'd be the goofy version of Platoon, at best.

At this point, the Transformers movie could very well be the goofy alien sentient version of Robot Jox. Point is, it could suck balls. Without an actual G.I.Joe movie to see which would be better, we really need not compare them right now.

I for one would love a Joe movie based off this season of Sigma 6. So far it blows last season away.

#59 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33612 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

Yes, the TF movie could suck. But it could become a great in the genre of Sci-Fi action movies. Point is, it's getting the chance.

GI Joe will never have that kind of a chance. If ever it could elevate itself, it would have to be a straight rip of Apocalypse Now, Platoon, or any other number of great war/army movies. There's no where to go in that genre for GI Joe based on what is unique about that property.

So while TFs get a shot at the big time, to go out there and see if they can do it, GI Joe will never even get that chance - they'd be to Platoon what Josie and the Pussycats was to Almost Famous. TFs make their own destiny at this point based on giving it their all, while GI Joe is forever relegated to where they are with no chance to move up.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#60 (Deactivated) Morningstar

(Deactivated) Morningstar
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

a more correct comparison for what a GIJOE movie would be would be Mission Impossible or '24' with a Bit of of MIB thrown in for good measure.

I think comparing the franchise to something its not and was never meant to be is a bit unfair..