Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

Photo

Some GI Joe fans are a little ticked-off...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#1 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4240 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

Message from Brian Savage

#2 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52033 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

I'm unaware if any of them expressed sympathy that OUR Con was bumped for the past two years.

Besides, it's probably only for next year.

Edited by MrBlud, 11 October 2006 - 06:40 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#3 (Deactivated) thoughtcrime

(Deactivated) thoughtcrime
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Joe fans get pissed off at the drop of a hat. I like Joes as much as the next 80s guy, but I just can't handle that fandom.

#4 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

At least it seems the Brian is trying to be fair. (He didn't promise that things would be "back to normal" next year for the Joe con, notice.) This is simply an unfortunate side-effect of trying to do two conventions for such very different fanbases.

Like I've said repeatedly, if we ever hope to see Summer BotCons again, we need to grab this opportunity to prove that it makes a difference to this fanbase. (And, perhaps just as importantly, that it makes a bigger difference to us to have it in the summer than it does to the Joe folks)

Seriously, one group is going to HAVE to be put out each year. I just hope that it isn't always us. (Barring 2007, of course)

#5 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11867 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

All things considered, the sensible thing would be to alternate. One year, have one con in the summer and the other in the fall, switch the next, wash-rince-repeat.
From the Page of Cage!

#6 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52033 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

Seriously, one group is going to HAVE to be put out each year. I just hope that it isn't always us. (Barring 2007, of course)

Couldn't FP hire enough people to put on two Cons at the same time? icon-depth.gif

card-strongarm.jpg

#7 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Oct 11 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post

Couldn't FP hire enough people to put on two Cons at the same time? icon-depth.gif

I get the feeling it's not about just that. It's more about Transformers having the limelight during the summer. If they have them at the same time, they'll have to compete with each other.

Plus, lots of people like both. They dont' want them too close, therefore causing some fans to "pick and choose", or to get frustrated with trying to go to two cons near the same time.

#8 GEN1FAN

GEN1FAN
  • Citizen
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

When I talked to Brain at Botcon, And thought some e-mail he would love to have the Both cons in the same location at the same time. The problem would be Man-power, and make sure the toy for each con were done on time. We may see in the next few years the dates for joe con , and Botcon maybe just a few weekends apart. If the can get that worked out then just maybe They will try to have both Cons in the same Location at the same place. The biggest problem work be deal space. You would want to make sure that you have a 50 / 50 split on dealer for each con, Or change the rules on what the dealer can have at their booth. It would be great if they could have 1 giant dealers room. Or have transformer dealers in 1 large room , and all the Joe dealer be in another large room.

If both con were in the same location the same year I know I would sell more of my joe parts and toys then what I did at this years Botcon. Plus I'm sure that I would drop double or triple what I did at this year's Botcon. Well hopefully I make E-6 and get paid shortly after the 1st of the year.

#9 TrnsfrmGod

TrnsfrmGod

Home

• Supporter
  • 4435 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

From the Joe board:
Personally? This pisses me off. I'm part of the G.I. Joe Fan Club. I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with Transformers. I signed up so I could be involved with all things Joe... I don't care how that relates to Transformers. That is just one more lame excuse, after getting one told to the folks at the Con.

If you reverse "Transformers" and "Joe" in that quote, it sounds remarkably like some utterances from last year icon-fire.gif

#10 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(TrnsfrmGod @ Oct 11 2006, 09:19 PM) View Post

From the Joe board:
Personally? This pisses me off. I'm part of the G.I. Joe Fan Club. I don't give a flying rat's arse what happens with Transformers. I signed up so I could be involved with all things Joe... I don't care how that relates to Transformers. That is just one more lame excuse, after getting one told to the folks at the Con.

If you reverse "Transformers" and "Joe" in that quote, it sounds remarkably like some utterances from last year icon-fire.gif

I noticed that, too. Apparently, Joe fans and TF fans aren't so different after all. icon-arcee.gif

QUOTE(GEN1FAN @ Oct 11 2006, 09:10 PM)
When I talked to Brain at Botcon, And thought some e-mail he would love to have the Both cons in the same location at the same time. The problem would be Man-power, and make sure the toy for each con were done on time. We may see in the next few years the dates for joe con , and Botcon maybe just a few weekends apart. If the can get that worked out then just maybe They will try to have both Cons in the same Location at the same place. The biggest problem work be deal space. You would want to make sure that you have a 50 / 50 split on dealer for each con, Or change the rules on what the dealer can have at their booth. It would be great if they could have 1 giant dealers room. Or have transformer dealers in 1 large room , and all the Joe dealer be in another large room.

If both con were in the same location the same year I know I would sell more of my joe parts and toys then what I did at this years Botcon. Plus I'm sure that I would drop double or triple what I did at this year's Botcon. Well hopefully I make E-6 and get paid shortly after the 1st of the year.
I've been under the impression since near the beginning that Brian would very much love to do both conventions at the same time. Perhaps I'd feel the same if I were him, but it's not an idea I personally care much for at all.

However, given the choice between a fall time that I'll likely seldom be able to make it to (I really stretched it to go this year), and a summer date that includes Joe folks.... Well, let's just say that a combined convention isn't the worst possibility.

#11 (Deactivated) Morningstar

(Deactivated) Morningstar
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Now I remember why I never signed up at any joe forums..

#12 (Deactivated) Moonscream

(Deactivated) Moonscream
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

And I find it personally funny that the guy goes by 'Smokescreen'. icon-fire.gif

Dumb question...if they 'get pissed off at the drop of a hat'...how do the fans act at cons? Do they act at least as well as TF fans do?

--Moony

#13 Chaotic Descent

Chaotic Descent

CHAOS! You got a one way ticket to CHAOS! CHAOS!

• Citizen
  • 14021 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(TrnsfrmGod @ Oct 11 2006, 09:19 PM) View Post

From the Joe board:

just because both sides make stupid arguments doesn't mean one side might be more entitled to something.
what's the reasoning behind the time of year for the Joe con? for TF fans, the argument was based around school. there are a lot more kids in the TF fandom, that can't skip school to attend. there was also something about people employed at schools being in an even less-flexible situation. (they can't skip school) although I wonder how many more school professionals there are in the TF fandom than the Joe fandom...
I have a feeling though that BotCon 2006 will be hard to compare against BotCon 2007, since we had SO MANY attendees, although perhaps a summer con will show higher PREREGISTRATIONS than walk-in registrations.

#14 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12642 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(RavageX-9 @ Oct 11 2006, 10:16 PM) View Post

I have a feeling though that BotCon 2006 will be hard to compare against BotCon 2007, since we had SO MANY attendees, although perhaps a summer con will show higher PREREGISTRATIONS than walk-in registrations.

That in itself would send a strong message. FP makes lots more money off of preregistrations than they do off of walk-ins.

#15 (Deactivated) Morningstar

• Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

Isn't that cuase Pre-registrations cost hundreds of dollers and require a membership in the fanclub?

#16 TrnsfrmGod

TrnsfrmGod

Home

• Supporter
  • 4435 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(Morningstar @ Oct 11 2006, 10:25 PM) View Post

Isn't that cuase Pre-registrations cost hundreds of dollers and require a membership in the fanclub?

To pre-reg, one doesn't necessarily need to be a club member, it just costs a little less to pre-register if you are a member (it's a difference of $40 -$50). And the price itsself depends on which pre-reg package you take.

There's one for everything (five-figure boxed set w/ a certificate of authenticity, tech specs and convention pin, the opportunity to buy a bagged set, convention name badge, convention program with comic, admittance to the sales room including the Private Sales Room Experience on Friday and Early Bird privileges on Saturday, admittance to the Awards Party, admittance to all convention panels/seminars, $50 in gaming coupons for Awards Party and Casino night and an extra exclusive figure) Cost for registration is $299 for non-members, or $249 for club members

Then there's the reduced set (convention pin, name badge, convention program with comic, admittance to the sales room including the private preview) Cost is $159 for non-members or $114 for club members

#17 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4188 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

I wager a higher amount of pre-regs will be due to the location, the "perks" (like touring the Hasbro plant) the time... and oh, the teeny itsy bitsy fact the movie is within a week or two of the con. icon-fire.gif

Note that teeny weeny itsy bitsy fact (yanno that movie thing)... you can't really base things on an "Ultra-uber-yehaw-yippee-doo-joygasm icon-silverbolt.gif icon-silverbolt.gif icon-silverbolt.gif " event, to judge which season is "best" I'm afraid.

Hell, my Dad (who doesn't even like TF's in the geek-glee manner I do) might even Pre-reg. Just because it's "special"

Edited by Waspinator's Muse, 11 October 2006 - 10:12 PM.

-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."

#18 (Deactivated) Morningstar

• Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

yup, Sticking to walk in. I just don't care enough about it to pay the same amount that my train tickets gonna cost to go to a TF con..

And the reason why its 40-50 dollers cheaper for club members is becuase... They don't have to re-up their membership.. They are allready members.. Correct?

See to me.. 9 bucks to get in is a suitable expenditure.. 159, or 299 isn't. Especially when I don't want to be a member of the fanclub. so that is the same as tossing 50 bucks down the toilet..

five-figure boxed set [w/ a certificate of authenticity, tech specs and convention pin] = Crap
the opportunity to buy a bagged set.. Why would I need an extra set?
convention name badge... Uhh.. I thought most conventions gave you a lanyard regardless of pre-reg status?
convention program with comic... 10 bucks.. So exciting.
admittance to the sales room including the Private Sales Room Experience on Friday = Crap
Early Bird privileges on Saturday = Crap
admittance to the Awards Party = Crap
admittance to all convention panels/seminars.. I need to Alert GW.. They let the free entrance people at gamesday into these.. Think of all the money they could be making..
$50 in gaming coupons for Awards Party and Casino night = Crap, just cut 50 bucks off the cost of the pre-reg.
an extra exclusive figure.. K,

Not to drastically change the subject.. But this was brought about becuase of the " More pre-regs means more money for FP" Ofcourse it does.. Cuase they jack your wallet when you pre-reg for worthless stuff.. In my opinion.

So regardless of if it makes any money for FP (Who I don't care if they make any money or not) I think that If I attend the 07 convention I will be contended with a walkin pass.

*edit* One does not simply Walk Into Botcon!

Edited by Morningstar, 11 October 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#19 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8129 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

Wow. We complained when we had to have our convention in the fall for two years straight, but I didn't see anything even approaching the level of petulant, self-absorbed dimwittery I'm seeing in that thread.

Yeah, let's move the date of this multi-million dollar movie so you don't have to bring a sweater to your convention. You didn't see this coming? When BotCon was shoved aside into late fall just so the Joe fans could keep summer, you never even considered that it might be nice to trade off every now and then? If that's the case, I have no sympathy for the Joe fandom whatsoever.

Edited by Chip, 11 October 2006 - 10:32 PM.

#20 The Jawa

The Jawa

Utinni!

• Citizen
  • 4188 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

five-figure boxed set [w/ a certificate of authenticity, tech specs and convention pin] = Crap
the opportunity to buy a bagged set.. Why would I need an extra set?
convention name badge... Uhh.. I thought most conventions gave you a lanyard regardless of pre-reg status?
convention program with comic... 10 bucks.. So exciting.
admittance to the sales room including the Private Sales Room Experience on Friday = Crap
Early Bird privileges on Saturday = Crap
admittance to the Awards Party = Crap
admittance to all convention panels/seminars.. I need to Alert GW.. They let the free entrance people at gamesday into these.. Think of all the money they could be making..
$50 in gaming coupons for Awards Party and Casino night = Crap, just cut 50 bucks off the cost of the pre-reg.
an extra exclusive figure.. K,

1.) Collectable. (Or resellable for a fair bit of a price hike -- see Ebay)
2.) I agree with you there. I had no desire to buy a second set.
3.) *shrugs* was a cool thing to have the VA's sign - and no you got a hand stamp as a walk in.
4.) Again a Collectable.
5.) Was fun and less crowded.
6.) Again less crowded.
7.) Didn't care much for it. But it was a free meal. And a fairly good one I'm told.
8.) Well worth it. AND enjoyable.
9.) The coupons, that wasn't 50$ that was 200$ in gaming tokens to just futz with. (and or win toys)
10.) Collectable. (And resellable for a fair bit of a price hike)

And you forgot that admission also includes free Autographs. And admission to TF:TM, revamped before it is released on DVD. Being as one who has and had to scrape and save and whine and beg and do parlour tricks to go. (And is NOT a club member) The 300$ price tag ... was really worth it (imo, and I am far from rich). Sure there were some things I personally don't like. Never are going to like 100% of things in a "package deal"

The awards party was too crowded. And I don't gamble or drink. But still, it was worth it. I have absolutely no regrets what so ever. Matter of fact, my husband went as a walk-in. And on the way home... decided in 07' to go as a mini-con. (He is someone who is not really a fan of TF, but likes the atmosphere and people quite a bit)

To me however the membership to the club is not worth it. As I'd only use it to get the discount off the Botcon price. But it'd end up being the same price so... meh no huge loss there.

Never the less if the toys and what not don't interest you. Many people sell them off and end up at the very least paying for thier own admission fee, or most of thier trip.

... to each thier own.

As for the original topic. I find it rather petulent of the Joe people to whine. (Though some were quite maturely handling it) It's a "special" event. Period. How it's done this year does not dictate how it's done in the future.

Edited by Waspinator's Muse, 11 October 2006 - 10:45 PM.

-~- The Jawa -~-

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they eat rainbows and poop butterflies..."