Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:31 PM)

Wonderful audio separation and balance.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:29 PM)

For Transformers The Movie 86

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 November 2020 - 09:28 PM)

I will say, the blu ray remaster, especially the audio is pretty spot on. Watching it on Apple TV has been enlightening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 09:00 PM)

Vode An!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:59 PM)

I do not overly care for the Bad Batch, but it will be interesting to see what the animated series will bring to the table.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:59 PM)

Alpha, Delta Squad, Omega Squad, and the Muunilinst 10 are quite the contrast to what we have at present in Disney canon.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (30 November 2020 - 08:57 PM)

Who else here read the pre-2008 Clone Commandos and ARC Troopers back in the day?

@  tigerhawk : (30 November 2020 - 05:04 PM)

Monoliths in Utah and Romania.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:11 PM)

Also, the face of the black redeco is painted gray.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:09 PM)

To be a little fair, the original was also lacking in more detailed color. The Telemocha Series figure fixed that.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 November 2020 - 05:05 PM)

The unpainted face and all the greys make that look like a knockoff.

@  Sabrblade : (29 November 2020 - 05:01 PM)

One could headcanon this one as such.

@  Otaku : (29 November 2020 - 01:06 PM)

@Bass X0 Weird how they come close, with the likes of Onyx Primal and Nemesis Prime (Universe 2003), but no actual evil gorilla...

@  wonko the sane? : (28 November 2020 - 03:00 PM)

Oh my god! WFC ravage is adorable! Who's a pudgy kitty? Yes you are!

@  tigerhawk : (28 November 2020 - 09:50 AM)

The 86 line prevented made me reconsider a new years resolution.

@  unluckiness : (28 November 2020 - 04:33 AM)

And Devastator because I'm a sucker for combiners

@  unluckiness : (28 November 2020 - 04:32 AM)

Decided to stick with the main cast from 2007 and a few assorted ones here and there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 November 2020 - 02:02 PM)

I said I wouldn't buy a lot, now I have seven. And at least three might be on the culling pile.

@  tigerhawk : (27 November 2020 - 11:44 AM)

"I'll just get one" I said now I have almost twenty Studio Series figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 November 2020 - 11:19 AM)

The geese are fleeing... death comes soon...

@  unluckiness : (25 November 2020 - 07:20 PM)

Not even head, just a faceeven

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 November 2020 - 12:58 PM)

Just stick a Megatron head on Optimal Optimus.

@  Sabrblade : (25 November 2020 - 12:46 PM)

There was also an evil-looking black and gray redeco of the RobotMasters toy

@  Arazyr : (25 November 2020 - 11:54 AM)

That's KIND-OF what I consider the Throne of the Primes Primal to be...

@  wonko the sane? : (25 November 2020 - 11:16 AM)

I would buy the hell out a nemesis primal...

@  Bass X0 : (25 November 2020 - 11:15 AM)

I'm surprised there's not been a Nemesis Primal given all the Nemesis Primes.

@  unluckiness : (23 November 2020 - 03:17 AM)

The real Drifts were the Windblades we made along the way

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 November 2020 - 02:25 AM)

Drift-kun 2 Electric Boobylube

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 November 2020 - 11:36 PM)

I'm pretty sure Drift 2 was Empire of Stone.

@  Sabrblade : (22 November 2020 - 10:06 PM)

I thought people said Prime Wheeljack was Drift 2.

@  tigerhawk : (22 November 2020 - 03:51 PM)

Windblade was Drift.2.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 02:44 PM)

Drift with boobs.

@  Rycochet : (22 November 2020 - 11:50 AM)

I can't imagine a live action movie version of Windblade being all that different from Drift. Not my thing, but not the worst thing I've ever seen.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 09:54 AM)

The thought of Movie aesthetic Windblade makes me feel sick.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:47 AM)

Though, the fact that Japanese people would pay for Windblade toys in the $30-40 range doesn't mean they'd pay however much MPs are going for now.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:44 AM)

Back when I made a habit of checking Mandarake for pre-owned TFs, Windblade's toys went for surprisingly high prices. By which I mean not lower than the original price.

@  tigerhawk : (22 November 2020 - 08:15 AM)

If she's in the next movie you might get her.

@  unluckiness : (22 November 2020 - 07:58 AM)

Japan didn't get most of the IDW comics and are the target market for MP. They basically know windblade from a few crappy pack-in comics and a show that wasn't particularly popular there. Unless they start cranking out Cyberverse MPs, it's not very likely.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 04:24 AM)

Again, depends if she's popular enough in Japan to warrant it. Our view of which characters are popular is not the same as Takara's.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 01:53 AM)

So characters like Windblade then.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 07:19 PM)

They're complicated and expensive to design. By necessity, they're gonna be restricted to well-known characters who are more likely to sell.

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 07:05 PM)

I don’t think Masterpiece toys should be restricted to only show characters.

@  Rycochet : (21 November 2020 - 03:09 PM)

If she wasn't in the Sunbow cartoon, Live Action movie or Beast Wars and can't be repainted from someone else, she's not getting an MP.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 November 2020 - 12:44 PM)

They'll make their money back if they include the metal thong...

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 12:29 PM)

Is she popular enough in Japan that Takara would even try?

@  Paladin : (21 November 2020 - 11:23 AM)

depends. will that one also have a giant metal thong?

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 11:10 AM)

Should there be a Masterpiece Windblade?

@  -LittleAutob... : (20 November 2020 - 12:46 PM)

EIGHT WORDS! THATS A RECORD! XD

@  wonko the sane? : (20 November 2020 - 09:08 AM)

So you were hired by a middle easterner! AHA!

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 November 2020 - 11:45 PM)

that's eight words

Photo
- - - - -

Ask me history questions!

Q&A History

Best Answer Sharkshadow, 25 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

Ok here’s Sharky’s quick and dirty histography of the invasions of the British Isles. First up is Julius Cesar in 55 BCE.   Well his first invasion was in 55, after being initially repulsed by the natives he tried again in 54 BCE with five legions instead of the two he had brought initially. Things seemed to be going well for him but rebellion by some of the gallic tribes he had  conquered under Vercingetorix forced him to make a peaceable arrangement with the locals where they would provide Rome tribute in exchange for them forgetting Britain existed.   

11 years later the legions of Emperor Claudius conquered the area around  what eventually would become London and gradually spread out across the island eventually stopping at a place called the Stanegate.  This conquest of the island took till 87 BCE and stopped in the area where Scotland and Britain butt up against one another. I won’t go into Hadrian’s wall here much, but I will say its not accurate to say it was built to keep the Picts out.  Historians and Archeologists don’t know the exact reasons why the wall was built, with the keep out the Picts theory being just one of several.

Next up is the Carausian Rebellion in 286 CE, where Romans invaded Roman territory, so I guess it counts?  A Roman naval officer named Carausius who had been charged with keeping the English Channel clear of pirates ,decided he liked the sound of Emperor before his name and with the support of the two British legions, the pirates he had been charged to defeat and three gaulic regions rebelled against Rome.  This of course sat poorly with the current Emperors of Rome ( don’t ask it’s a long story) so they spent 7 years building up a fleet and steam rolled over Carausius’s allies who had assassinated the man before and were making a general nuisance of themselves to the British populace.

Now we get closer to better documented times, the Saxon Migrations into Britain. By this time, the western roman empire was on the verge of collapse. The outer provinces of the empire were abandoned to their own fates during this time period with the legions guarding them being recalled for Italy’s protection.  Into this convenient power vacuum came the Saxons. There were several waves to the migrations of the Saxons over a period of centuries, so it is a bit of an exhaustive topic. The main point ot get is this is what slid Britain from a Romanesque culture into a Germanic one and began the English language’s descent into madness.  

im just going to copy a list form Wikipedia now as were getting close to the area of time I don’t know that much about.  Hope this has answered some questions, and if not hug it I  got to use me degree for the first itme in years.

The eighth to eleventh century invasions of the British isles by the Vikings.

Invasion and partial conquest by the Great Heathen Army in 865

Danish invasion of England, ending successfully at the Battle of Assandun in 1016.

The 1066 Norman conquest of England under William the Conqueror.

The 1136-1138 invasions of northern England by David I of Scotland and subsequent occupation until 1157.

The 1139 invasion of England by Matilda during The Anarchy

The 1149 and 1153 invasions by the future Henry II during The Anarchy

The 1216 invasion of England by Louis VIII of France and Alexander II of Scotland, during the First Barons' War.

Various invasions by the Scots from 1314-1513 during the Wars of Scottish Independence, the Hundred Years' War, and further Anglo-Scottish Wars.

The 1326 invasion of England by Isabella of France and Roger Mortimer, leading to Isabella's regency until the ascendancy of her son, Edward III.

The 1386 invasion by France was organised but never executed during the Hundred Years' War.

The 1470 invasion in support of the Readeption of Henry VI

The 1471 invasion of Edward IV leading to the final deposing of Henry VI of England

The 1485 invasion via Wales by Henry Tudor leading to the Battle of Bosworth Field

The 1487 invasion from Ireland of the pretender Lambert Simnel, who claimed to be Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick, the rightful king.

The 1495 landing with troops at Deal by Perkin Warbeck, who claimed to be Richard of Shrewsbury, the rightful King.

The 1513 invasion of England by the Scots under James IV, which culminated in the Battle of Flodden

The 1545 French invasion of the Isle of Wight during the Italian Wars.

The 1588 Spanish Armada was a failed invasion of England after it was heavily defeated by storms and the English fleet.

The 1596 2nd Spanish Armada shattered by storms off Cape Finisterre

The 1597 3rd Spanish Armada dispersed by storms off the Lizard; landfall by small number of Spanish troops in Cornwall and Wales.

The 1640 Scottish Covenanter invasion of England as part of the Second Bishops' War, culminates at the Battle of Newburn.

The 1644 Scottish Covenanter invasion (led by the Earl of Leven) of Northumberland as part of the First English Civil War.

The 1648 invasion of England by a Scottish army in support of Charles I (King of Scots) against the English Parliament, launching the Second English Civil War; defeated at Preston.

The 1667 Dutch Raid on the Medway and Felixstowe Landguard during the Second Anglo-Dutch War.[1]

The 1685 landing in England by the Duke of Monmouth and his supporters during the Monmouth Rebellion

The 1688 landing in England by William III of Orange, known in historiography as the Glorious Revolution.

The 1690 attack by the French on Teignmouth, Devon.
and the nazi invasion of the channel islands.

Go to the full post

79 replies to this topic

#61 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

There's literally no reason to assume that there's a risk of that. That's just a sci-fi plot device. It's fiction. You're talking about fiction.

In real life, people make decisions based on what's most likely to have a positive outcome. The reason you can't do that in a time travel story is because time travel is a plot device that breaks everything if you think about it for more than ten seconds at a time.

Are you referring to what I said?

Yes, I am (I thought rather unambiguously) referring to the factually incorrect and easily debunked claim you made. 

As an ex-Whovian, I appreciate your logic, but I still have my principles.

Your principle is a science fiction plot device. It's not a real thing. It was made up for a sci-fi show. That's what we're telling you.

I'm sorry, but which claim did I make?

Decepticons, FOREVER!

"Taste the cruel bite of my ruthless weaponry."

#62 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:18 PM

Oh, right, the risk of causing something worse than the Holocaust.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#63 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

How will you face your final dawn?

• Supporter
  • 48825 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

The problem with time travel is that it more or less runs on bullshit.

#64 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18930 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:46 PM

Hence why the TARDIS will never run out of power, I can bullshit in godly proportions.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 25 May 2020 - 05:46 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#65 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52182 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:45 PM

I like that you missed something bigger than the Holocaust. 

But yes, this whole logic that if you could change something, it'd risk making something worse happen in principle, this is fundamentally bad philosophy.

Your responsibility would be to act in a manner that most probably benefits the world, as it always is. Nothing about fairy stories involving time travel changes that. If you're transported into the past, it is now your present, and you are responsible for the choices you make there as you are in any other context.

But I guess if you can't distinguish sci-fi from reality, I'd honestly rather you step aside and let other people make the decisions too

Edit: Like I mean, your actions right now in the present have an equal chance of contributing to the rise of the next SuperHitler. You get that, right? Do you get that? I want you to at least get that.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 25 May 2020 - 11:03 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#66 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 48825 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:12 AM

Besides, going back to kill Hitler never works anyway.

#67 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14872 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:30 AM

Im opposed to the idea because you don't know what little change you do , might make a major event turn out differently. when i was little there was a show on TLC called Connections that illustrated this. 

#68 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15257 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

#69 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52182 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

Im opposed to the idea because you don't know what little change you do , might make a major event turn out differently. when i was little there was a show on TLC called Connections that illustrated this. 

It's a BBC show, which makes it slightly less surprising that it's good, but that's also very much not the point. A better illustration that isn't sullying a classic piece of documentary TV is how Obama wouldn't have become president if Star Trek: Voyager was never created. 

Change isn't and can't be inherently bad, though. I don't know how many times I have to repeat it before someone stops and actually thinks it through, but this is exactly equally true of your actions now in the present, you just know one possible outcome fewer. You always "might make a major event turn out differently" and the only difference of any kind in the time travel hypothetical is that the event might be within the time that used to be your past.

What you would need to propose that changing the past in this hypothetical implies some kind of danger is to find a difference between the effects of actions you take in your "present" and actions you could take in your "past" in this hypothetical. You can't, of course - there strictly is no difference.  

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

I have to point out here that the premise of the time travel hypothetical is that you do, indeed, have said hindsight of exactly one outcome of events. Your aphorism is otherwise exactly as true or false in this scenario as it is in any other, but it's a bit off the mark considering.

Perhaps what you both mean is that you wouldn't personally want to be responsible for the outcome of rerolling all the dice. That's obviously entirely up to you. But what you can't say is that it would be unwise, because that's logically indefensible. If you feel the need to fall back on handwaving to defend it, it really is probably the first reason, even if you feel like it ought to be the second. Which is, again, fine - just don't confuse them.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#70 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

I like that you missed something bigger than the Holocaust. 

But yes, this whole logic that if you could change something, it'd risk making something worse happen in principle, this is fundamentally bad philosophy.

Your responsibility would be to act in a manner that most probably benefits the world, as it always is. Nothing about fairy stories involving time travel changes that. If you're transported into the past, it is now your present, and you are responsible for the choices you make there as you are in any other context.

But I guess if you can't distinguish sci-fi from reality, I'd honestly rather you step aside and let other people make the decisions too

Edit: Like I mean, your actions right now in the present have an equal chance of contributing to the rise of the next SuperHitler. You get that, right? Do you get that? I want you to at least get that.

I was going through several different threads yesterday, and this one was on the bottom of my priority list.  Also, by your logic, say I went back in time to before Hitler rose to power.  Is he guilty of crimes he has yet to commit?  Also, my belief that going back in time and killing Hitler might cause something worse to happen is based on the fact that he actually sabotaged his own war effort by focusing on killing Jews, Slavs, and other "undesirables" instead of properly allocating resources to fight the Allies and the Soviets.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#71 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52182 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

No, it's not, because that's not what you said. 

#72 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18930 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

All this talk of murdering Hitler... Couldn't we just, like, give him some post-War counseling and some Xanax?

The Great War can't have been good his mental health and maybe he just needed a little grief counseling.

nzo8WYb.png

#73 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52182 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

I dunno, seems like appeasement to me, something something platforming something something punching X ]

#74 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

• Supporter
  • 48825 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:38 PM

Just go buy him a better paint set, maybe a couple of hookers, it'll sort itself out.

#75 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14872 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

Eh it probably goes back to my university training. all my professors hated speculative history and it must of rubbed off on me.   You can't change what has happen'd just how the past is interpreted. 

#76 Logicron

Logicron

BIG LOO-GICRON

• Citizen
  • 36103 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:59 PM

Since there's no records of time travellers popping up in our era or earlier, it's possible the future doesn't exist yet because our present is actually at the front of the timeline, which means we can go back and change the past because there's no predetermined future to guide our actions.

#77 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52182 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

I tend to think that time travel is almost certainly impossible in physics. 

Eh it probably goes back to my university training. all my professors hated speculative history and it must of rubbed off on me.   You can't change what has happen'd just how the past is interpreted. 

And to be clear, I'm not saying you could determine any outcome in advance, in the same sense that we can't predict the future in, like, reality. When people say if Y had happened instead, X would have happened, as if they think it's some kind of math problem, I think that kind of claim is on very shaky ground. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 26 May 2020 - 05:09 PM.

#78 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18930 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

History is such a complex thing, it's hard to pin anything down to a single event.

Hitler was the figure head of the National Socialist party, but he didn't invent it or the ideology, a lot of what laid the groundwork for WWII was the result of the previous war and the heavy sanctions put on Germany and the holocaust was more a consequence of out of control eugenics than a specific plan to create murder factories.

And even that's grossly simplified.

But yeah, it's all moot anyway, since time travel is almost certainly not possible without a massive change in how we view physics.

Which is why it's fun to speculate on possible alternative time lines and use the concept as a vehicle for story telling. It's one of the Sci Fi concepts that will always be fiction XD

nzo8WYb.png

#79 Hassan Patterson

Hassan Patterson
  • Protoform
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:18 AM

History is such a complex thing, it's hard to pin anything down to a single event.

Hitler was the figure head of the National Socialist party, but he didn't invent it or the ideology, a lot of what laid the groundwork for WWII was the result of the previous war and the heavy sanctions put on Germany and the holocaust was more a consequence of out of control eugenics than a specific plan to create murder factories.

And even that's grossly simplified.

But yeah, it's all moot anyway, since time travel is almost certainly not possible without a massive change in how we view physics.

Which is why it's fun to speculate on possible alternative time lines and use the concept as a vehicle for story telling. It's one of the Sci Fi concepts that will always be fiction XD

and the foundations of the First World War were laid back in the 19th century - early 20th century, including as a result of the unification of Germany. It seems to me that in history a huge role is played by individuals, historical characters who, by their decisions, influence the entire course of history. click to find more information about this phenomenon, which makes it clear that personalities such as Julius Caesar, for example, played a huge role in the development of the Roman state. At the same time, we must say that it is external circumstances that shape a person, which in turn affects his decisions. What do you think about this?

Edited by Hassan Patterson, 22 November 2020 - 07:35 AM.

#80 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 30749 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:11 AM

germany delenda est

no i will not delenda est this

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users