Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

Photo
- - - - -

Ask me history questions!

Q&A History

Best Answer Sharkshadow, 25 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

Ok here’s Sharky’s quick and dirty histography of the invasions of the British Isles. First up is Julius Cesar in 55 BCE.   Well his first invasion was in 55, after being initially repulsed by the natives he tried again in 54 BCE with five legions instead of the two he had brought initially. Things seemed to be going well for him but rebellion by some of the gallic tribes he had  conquered under Vercingetorix forced him to make a peaceable arrangement with the locals where they would provide Rome tribute in exchange for them forgetting Britain existed.   

11 years later the legions of Emperor Claudius conquered the area around  what eventually would become London and gradually spread out across the island eventually stopping at a place called the Stanegate.  This conquest of the island took till 87 BCE and stopped in the area where Scotland and Britain butt up against one another. I won’t go into Hadrian’s wall here much, but I will say its not accurate to say it was built to keep the Picts out.  Historians and Archeologists don’t know the exact reasons why the wall was built, with the keep out the Picts theory being just one of several.

Next up is the Carausian Rebellion in 286 CE, where Romans invaded Roman territory, so I guess it counts?  A Roman naval officer named Carausius who had been charged with keeping the English Channel clear of pirates ,decided he liked the sound of Emperor before his name and with the support of the two British legions, the pirates he had been charged to defeat and three gaulic regions rebelled against Rome.  This of course sat poorly with the current Emperors of Rome ( don’t ask it’s a long story) so they spent 7 years building up a fleet and steam rolled over Carausius’s allies who had assassinated the man before and were making a general nuisance of themselves to the British populace.

Now we get closer to better documented times, the Saxon Migrations into Britain. By this time, the western roman empire was on the verge of collapse. The outer provinces of the empire were abandoned to their own fates during this time period with the legions guarding them being recalled for Italy’s protection.  Into this convenient power vacuum came the Saxons. There were several waves to the migrations of the Saxons over a period of centuries, so it is a bit of an exhaustive topic. The main point ot get is this is what slid Britain from a Romanesque culture into a Germanic one and began the English language’s descent into madness.  

im just going to copy a list form Wikipedia now as were getting close to the area of time I don’t know that much about.  Hope this has answered some questions, and if not hug it I  got to use me degree for the first itme in years.

The eighth to eleventh century invasions of the British isles by the Vikings.

Invasion and partial conquest by the Great Heathen Army in 865

Danish invasion of England, ending successfully at the Battle of Assandun in 1016.

The 1066 Norman conquest of England under William the Conqueror.

The 1136-1138 invasions of northern England by David I of Scotland and subsequent occupation until 1157.

The 1139 invasion of England by Matilda during The Anarchy

The 1149 and 1153 invasions by the future Henry II during The Anarchy

The 1216 invasion of England by Louis VIII of France and Alexander II of Scotland, during the First Barons' War.

Various invasions by the Scots from 1314-1513 during the Wars of Scottish Independence, the Hundred Years' War, and further Anglo-Scottish Wars.

The 1326 invasion of England by Isabella of France and Roger Mortimer, leading to Isabella's regency until the ascendancy of her son, Edward III.

The 1386 invasion by France was organised but never executed during the Hundred Years' War.

The 1470 invasion in support of the Readeption of Henry VI

The 1471 invasion of Edward IV leading to the final deposing of Henry VI of England

The 1485 invasion via Wales by Henry Tudor leading to the Battle of Bosworth Field

The 1487 invasion from Ireland of the pretender Lambert Simnel, who claimed to be Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick, the rightful king.

The 1495 landing with troops at Deal by Perkin Warbeck, who claimed to be Richard of Shrewsbury, the rightful King.

The 1513 invasion of England by the Scots under James IV, which culminated in the Battle of Flodden

The 1545 French invasion of the Isle of Wight during the Italian Wars.

The 1588 Spanish Armada was a failed invasion of England after it was heavily defeated by storms and the English fleet.

The 1596 2nd Spanish Armada shattered by storms off Cape Finisterre

The 1597 3rd Spanish Armada dispersed by storms off the Lizard; landfall by small number of Spanish troops in Cornwall and Wales.

The 1640 Scottish Covenanter invasion of England as part of the Second Bishops' War, culminates at the Battle of Newburn.

The 1644 Scottish Covenanter invasion (led by the Earl of Leven) of Northumberland as part of the First English Civil War.

The 1648 invasion of England by a Scottish army in support of Charles I (King of Scots) against the English Parliament, launching the Second English Civil War; defeated at Preston.

The 1667 Dutch Raid on the Medway and Felixstowe Landguard during the Second Anglo-Dutch War.[1]

The 1685 landing in England by the Duke of Monmouth and his supporters during the Monmouth Rebellion

The 1688 landing in England by William III of Orange, known in historiography as the Glorious Revolution.

The 1690 attack by the French on Teignmouth, Devon.
and the nazi invasion of the channel islands.

Go to the full post

77 replies to this topic

#21 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:05 AM

your wrong on the deaths for Canadian independence question. there were several  armed rebellions that failed against British rule. As punishment for the next week you must cite everything Destron says in Chicago style. 

Did any of those rebellions actually contribute to independence, though? I guess they would still be said to die for it, but it does seem like there's the possibility of quibbling on phrasing for more than one possible right answer. X ]

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#22 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

Do you have an opinion on "is this a battlecruiser" arguments?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 23 April 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#23 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18692 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:26 PM

Got another one: Who was Georges Méliès and why was he important in film history?

nzo8WYb.png

#24 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14359 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

your wrong on the deaths for Canadian independence question. there were several  armed rebellions that failed against British rule. As punishment for the next week you must cite everything Destron says in Chicago style. 

Did any of those rebellions actually contribute to independence, though? I guess they would still be said to die for it, but it does seem like there's the possibility of quibbling on phrasing for more than one possible right answer. X ]

well they were still quoting the slogans from them during the transition to a commonwealth state, so probably. disclaimer: all my info on Canadian Independence is from wikipedia and one text book i kept on world history from college.  i am NOT a reliable source on canada land history. 

Edited by Sharkshadow, 23 April 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#25 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:05 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Edited by Thundercracker Prime, 23 April 2020 - 06:09 PM.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

"Taste the cruel bite of my ruthless weaponry."

#26 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

Got another one: Who was Georges Méliès and why was he important in film history?

He was a French filmmaker and stage magician who is generally considered the first person to recognize the potential of narrative films.  Over the course of 16 years, he produced over five hundred films covering a variety of genres, including eroticism, though he did not produce the first sex scene in film.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Méliès_filmography

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Sex_in_film

https://en.wikipedia...iss_(1896_film)

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#27 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23763 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:07 PM

There are arguments about whether X historical ship really counts as a battlecruiser. I think these tend to be focused on the 1918 HMS Hood and the 1940s Alaska-class.

I guess the question can be rephrased as like "do you find these arguments amusing or annoying?". (with however many more options)

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 23 April 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#28 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

There are arguments about whether X historical ship really counts as a battlecruiser. I think these tend to be focused on the 1918 HMS Hood and the 1940s Alaska-class.

I guess the question can be rephrased as like "do you find these arguments amusing or annoying?". (with however many more options)

I don't care.  "Battlecruiser" and "dreadnaught" are so interchangeable in my opinion that it doesn't matter.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#29 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14359 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

annoying.  its the historical equivalent of that rumble is red frenzy is blue crap. 

#30 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14427 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

What is the Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything?

How many times havethe british isles been conquered?

fslookup.jpg

#31 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:29 PM

annoying.  its the historical equivalent of that rumble is red frenzy is blue crap. 

But Rumble is blue and Frenzy is red.

What is the Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything?

How many times havethe british isles been conquered?

42, and do you mean the entire British Isles, or just parts of it?

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#32 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14427 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:09 AM

Ah, so you've met Deep Thought then. :)

Hmm. Lets go with the whole of the isles.

also, do you know where your towel is?

fslookup.jpg

#33 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51466 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:15 AM

That'd rule out most of them, right? Because I was thinking that the Anglo-Saxon "invasion" slowly replaced everything but didn't have a central political power to it so it's iffy, the Roman conquest included building a big old wall and declaring everything on the other side Scotland and not worth messing with, and I don't remember the Norman Conquest involving Ireland...?

I know the groups inhabiting the islands weren't the first even before the AS showed up, but I thought your Picts and Jutes or whatnot were similarly just small unconnected groups and not actually a single invasion force.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 25 April 2020 - 05:17 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#34 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18692 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:16 AM

Not so much conquered as frequently knocked over for lunch money.

nzo8WYb.png

#35 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14359 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

That'd rule out most of them, right? Because I was thinking that the Anglo-Saxon "invasion" slowly replaced everything but didn't have a central political power to it so it's iffy, the Roman conquest included building a big old wall and declaring everything on the other side Scotland and not worth messing with, and I don't remember the Norman Conquest involving Ireland...?

I know the groups inhabiting the islands weren't the first even before the AS showed up, but I thought your Picts and Jutes or whatnot were similarly just small unconnected groups and not actually a single invasion force.

You left out the vikings copper.  this is gonna take me a second to grab some sources cause this is an area i actually know something about i just have to re familiarize myself with some things cause its been ten years. ....gods its been ten years..

#36 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14359 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:15 AM   Best Answer

Ok here’s Sharky’s quick and dirty histography of the invasions of the British Isles. First up is Julius Cesar in 55 BCE.   Well his first invasion was in 55, after being initially repulsed by the natives he tried again in 54 BCE with five legions instead of the two he had brought initially. Things seemed to be going well for him but rebellion by some of the gallic tribes he had  conquered under Vercingetorix forced him to make a peaceable arrangement with the locals where they would provide Rome tribute in exchange for them forgetting Britain existed.   

11 years later the legions of Emperor Claudius conquered the area around  what eventually would become London and gradually spread out across the island eventually stopping at a place called the Stanegate.  This conquest of the island took till 87 BCE and stopped in the area where Scotland and Britain butt up against one another. I won’t go into Hadrian’s wall here much, but I will say its not accurate to say it was built to keep the Picts out.  Historians and Archeologists don’t know the exact reasons why the wall was built, with the keep out the Picts theory being just one of several.

Next up is the Carausian Rebellion in 286 CE, where Romans invaded Roman territory, so I guess it counts?  A Roman naval officer named Carausius who had been charged with keeping the English Channel clear of pirates ,decided he liked the sound of Emperor before his name and with the support of the two British legions, the pirates he had been charged to defeat and three gaulic regions rebelled against Rome.  This of course sat poorly with the current Emperors of Rome ( don’t ask it’s a long story) so they spent 7 years building up a fleet and steam rolled over Carausius’s allies who had assassinated the man before and were making a general nuisance of themselves to the British populace.

Now we get closer to better documented times, the Saxon Migrations into Britain. By this time, the western roman empire was on the verge of collapse. The outer provinces of the empire were abandoned to their own fates during this time period with the legions guarding them being recalled for Italy’s protection.  Into this convenient power vacuum came the Saxons. There were several waves to the migrations of the Saxons over a period of centuries, so it is a bit of an exhaustive topic. The main point ot get is this is what slid Britain from a Romanesque culture into a Germanic one and began the English language’s descent into madness.  

im just going to copy a list form Wikipedia now as were getting close to the area of time I don’t know that much about.  Hope this has answered some questions, and if not hug it I  got to use me degree for the first itme in years.

The eighth to eleventh century invasions of the British isles by the Vikings.

Invasion and partial conquest by the Great Heathen Army in 865

Danish invasion of England, ending successfully at the Battle of Assandun in 1016.

The 1066 Norman conquest of England under William the Conqueror.

The 1136-1138 invasions of northern England by David I of Scotland and subsequent occupation until 1157.

The 1139 invasion of England by Matilda during The Anarchy

The 1149 and 1153 invasions by the future Henry II during The Anarchy

The 1216 invasion of England by Louis VIII of France and Alexander II of Scotland, during the First Barons' War.

Various invasions by the Scots from 1314-1513 during the Wars of Scottish Independence, the Hundred Years' War, and further Anglo-Scottish Wars.

The 1326 invasion of England by Isabella of France and Roger Mortimer, leading to Isabella's regency until the ascendancy of her son, Edward III.

The 1386 invasion by France was organised but never executed during the Hundred Years' War.

The 1470 invasion in support of the Readeption of Henry VI

The 1471 invasion of Edward IV leading to the final deposing of Henry VI of England

The 1485 invasion via Wales by Henry Tudor leading to the Battle of Bosworth Field

The 1487 invasion from Ireland of the pretender Lambert Simnel, who claimed to be Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick, the rightful king.

The 1495 landing with troops at Deal by Perkin Warbeck, who claimed to be Richard of Shrewsbury, the rightful King.

The 1513 invasion of England by the Scots under James IV, which culminated in the Battle of Flodden

The 1545 French invasion of the Isle of Wight during the Italian Wars.

The 1588 Spanish Armada was a failed invasion of England after it was heavily defeated by storms and the English fleet.

The 1596 2nd Spanish Armada shattered by storms off Cape Finisterre

The 1597 3rd Spanish Armada dispersed by storms off the Lizard; landfall by small number of Spanish troops in Cornwall and Wales.

The 1640 Scottish Covenanter invasion of England as part of the Second Bishops' War, culminates at the Battle of Newburn.

The 1644 Scottish Covenanter invasion (led by the Earl of Leven) of Northumberland as part of the First English Civil War.

The 1648 invasion of England by a Scottish army in support of Charles I (King of Scots) against the English Parliament, launching the Second English Civil War; defeated at Preston.

The 1667 Dutch Raid on the Medway and Felixstowe Landguard during the Second Anglo-Dutch War.[1]

The 1685 landing in England by the Duke of Monmouth and his supporters during the Monmouth Rebellion

The 1688 landing in England by William III of Orange, known in historiography as the Glorious Revolution.

The 1690 attack by the French on Teignmouth, Devon.
and the nazi invasion of the channel islands.

Edited by Sharkshadow, 25 April 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#37 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14679 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:42 PM

It's about that time for some... Ancient Memes. https://imgur.com/gallery/16KcKMf

#38 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14359 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

94600930_541650726550075_162797858585785

#39 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Our defiance drives us straight to the edge

• Supporter
  • 47373 posts