Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

Photo
- - - - -

Hypothetical Transformers Energon Rewrite

Transformers Energon Rewrite Fan Fiction

34 replies to this topic

#21 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:27 AM

Here's a suggestion. Keep the toys the same as they are, physically. But, maybe change some of the character identities that they represent.

For example, instead of the big blue Autobot SUV being an all new character named Ironhide, make it instead be Armada Side Swipe in a new upgraded body form. That way, the toy could still represent the "young blue Autobot doofus who admires Hot Shot" without needing to replace an existing character with a completely new one.

I can work with that, but I'm still interested in the idea of Snowstorm (Renamed from Snow Cat) and Long Haul (Demolisher's dump truck form as a separate character) being able to Powerlinx.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

"Taste the cruel bite of my ruthless weaponry."

#22 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7799 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:24 AM

Im starting my 10th (or more) time of rewatching Armada start to finish (My fave TF series) then I am sure I will move onto Energon and skip Cybertron, so I can give more info soon. 

But....for now, here is a list:

Keep Optimus skinny 

Keep Jetfire the sameish robot mode and still able to combine with Optimus and Overload. (not sure why that combo would go away)

Give us Energon Ultra Magnus

Keep Hot Shot (I like the more grown up version)

Get rid of Kicker and just let us keep the grown up Armada kids. Give them one of Kickers power from exposure from a energon experiment gone wrong or something like that. 

Let Demolisher, Cyclonus and Tidal Wave stay on the Autobots a bit longer.  Would make their eventual return to the decepticons mean a bit more, even if we know its going to happen. 

Let Starscream be Starscream.  Give us Skywarp and let him be the teleporter. 

Make Alpha whatever be more forthcoming with whats going on with him and his uses for Unicron and Scorpy. (I feel like it took forever for the truth to come out. Maybe Im remembering it wrong.). 

Im sure there is more. 

#23 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

Im starting my 10th (or more) time of rewatching Armada start to finish (My fave TF series) then I am sure I will move onto Energon and skip Cybertron, so I can give more info soon. 

But....for now, here is a list:

Keep Optimus skinny 

Keep Jetfire the sameish robot mode and still able to combine with Optimus and Overload. (not sure why that combo would go away)

Give us Energon Ultra Magnus

Keep Hot Shot (I like the more grown up version)

Get rid of Kicker and just let us keep the grown up Armada kids. Give them one of Kickers power from exposure from a energon experiment gone wrong or something like that. 

Let Demolisher, Cyclonus and Tidal Wave stay on the Autobots a bit longer.  Would make their eventual return to the decepticons mean a bit more, even if we know its going to happen. 

Let Starscream be Starscream.  Give us Skywarp and let him be the teleporter. 

Make Alpha whatever be more forthcoming with whats going on with him and his uses for Unicron and Scorpy. (I feel like it took forever for the truth to come out. Maybe Im remembering it wrong.). 

Im sure there is more. 

I agree with some of your ideas, particularly in regards to Starscream and Alpha Q, though I actually think it's in character for Cyclonus and Tidal Wave to quickly rejoin the Decepticons, and I consider keeping Kicker around so he can be a better-written character to be a self-imposed challenge, that being said, the three kids from Armada, especially Alexis, will get more screentime.  Also, to give the Decepticons more of an edge against the Autobots, what if, in addition to whatever else an Energon Star does, when a Decepticon Powerlinx with one, it supercharges their Hyper Mode?

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#24 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1099 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

I always thought there would be a fan edit of this show, where most of the repeating transformation sequences would be cut out, as well as all the footage of them standing around talking about what had just happened. Then the whole series would probably be just an hour long. Your version sounds much better though.
WWOPD?

#25 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7799 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:03 AM

oh.  And the Combiners each individual bots, not just drones and 1 main controlling bot. But keep the scramble city interchangeablitiy between them, that is cool to see. 

#26 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:01 PM

oh.  And the Combiners each individual bots, not just drones and 1 main controlling bot. But keep the scramble city interchangeablitiy between them, that is cool to see. 

(Cracks knuckles) Any suggestions for specific personalities?

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#27 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2796 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

So... I'm not very knowledgeable about the Unicron Trilogy animation.  I had a decent amount of the toys.  I read some of the comics that released under Dreamwave.  I really enjoyed the TFCC fiction from this setting.  I'll read Thundercracker Prime's stuff when I have time, but I already was interrupted multiple times while writing this comment, so that probably won't happen until the evening. XD

I'd like to think I offer a useful perspective, but maybe I don't.  One thing I know is the more you stray from the source material - both toyline and fiction - the more it stretches suspension of disbelief.  That's just how it works with what is essentially a "What If?" scenario.  I am phrasing it that way because sometimes, changes to the fiction are less believable than changes to the toyline.  Not that I can justify my own preferred change (basically turning Energon into a prototype of Combiner Wars).

To give you an idea, though... I kinda like chunky Optimus Prime.  Maybe its because I'm a fatguy IRL.  Maybe because I know the idea is that he's supposed to have typical, heroic proportions when combined, and I like the fact this means Optimus alone does not look right.  Kind of symbolic.

I also like Energon Starscream... well, what I know of him.  The thing is, I never got to see Armada Starscream's heel-face turn.  Read about it, but didn't witness it myself.  When you do look at the character arc laid out for Starscream in the Unicron Trilogy, its actually really good.  The specifics may be awful at times, and a key aspect is being uncertain whether or not Energon Starscream really is Armada Starscream.  Maybe that ambiguity was not intentional, and is a misunderstanding on my part, but if so... how's that for a rewrite?  Megatron's ego means, rather than accept his subordinate's (friend's?) demise, he creates an imitation of him.  A recreation that eventually turns on Megatron, a darker echo of what happened with the original.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts.  XP

The Allspark, where most of my commenting "hang-ups" were born!

#28 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3947 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

With Energon, at times I honestly think a good chunk of the show could be broken down into a couple of movies without loosing the plot, but then the show suffered from poor planning and a large ep count so it kept running out of story to tell. For the most part, I tend not to think about Energon that much, I liked the few toys I have from the line but the show is easy to forget as that was pretty much the darkest time for Transformers in terms of comics, when Dreamwave went bust leaving its G1 stories and Energon story unfinished. As I said, I think the best way to improve the show is to transform it into some movies but it will not make a big difference but at least improve it story and deal with the pacing issues.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#29 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12528 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

Energon does some quite interesting things for the first 13 episodes, but literally dumps all of them in that 13th episode. That has to have happened for a reason - either they were massively overbudget, or someone senior made terrible editorial changes. Quite probably both.

The best way to improve it would have been for that not to happen.

#30 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

So... I'm not very knowledgeable about the Unicron Trilogy animation.  I had a decent amount of the toys.  I read some of the comics that released under Dreamwave.  I really enjoyed the TFCC fiction from this setting.  I'll read Thundercracker Prime's stuff when I have time, but I already was interrupted multiple times while writing this comment, so that probably won't happen until the evening. XD

I'd like to think I offer a useful perspective, but maybe I don't.  One thing I know is the more you stray from the source material - both toyline and fiction - the more it stretches suspension of disbelief.  That's just how it works with what is essentially a "What If?" scenario.  I am phrasing it that way because sometimes, changes to the fiction are less believable than changes to the toyline.  Not that I can justify my own preferred change (basically turning Energon into a prototype of Combiner Wars).

To give you an idea, though... I kinda like chunky Optimus Prime.  Maybe its because I'm a fatguy IRL.  Maybe because I know the idea is that he's supposed to have typical, heroic proportions when combined, and I like the fact this means Optimus alone does not look right.  Kind of symbolic.

I also like Energon Starscream... well, what I know of him.  The thing is, I never got to see Armada Starscream's heel-face turn.  Read about it, but didn't witness it myself.  When you do look at the character arc laid out for Starscream in the Unicron Trilogy, its actually really good.  The specifics may be awful at times, and a key aspect is being uncertain whether or not Energon Starscream really is Armada Starscream.  Maybe that ambiguity was not intentional, and is a misunderstanding on my part, but if so... how's that for a rewrite?  Megatron's ego means, rather than accept his subordinate's (friend's?) demise, he creates an imitation of him.  A recreation that eventually turns on Megatron, a darker echo of what happened with the original.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts.  XP

I view Cybertron as being in a separate continuity from Armada and Energon, so while I like your idea with Starscream, I'd rather just give Armada/Energon Starscream the Transmetal 2 Dinobot treatment.  Also, I've come to accept that I will be unable to solve all of Energon's flaws, I just want to make something that's watchable on paper.

Edited by Thundercracker Prime, 20 May 2020 - 05:22 PM.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

#31 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2796 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

I view Cybertron as being in a separate continuity from Armada and Energon, so while I like your idea with Starscream, I'd rather just give Armada/Energon Starscream the Transmetal 2 Dinobot treatment.  Also, I've come to accept that I will be unable to solve all of Energon's flaws, I just want to make something that's watchable on paper.

As you wish but... I thought I just described the TM2 Dinobot treatment? :wtf

Well, I guess not technically.  If you're not going to go for the original planned, then scrapped, then retconned back in Unicron Trilogy out of these three series, and just cut Transformers: Cybertron, I can respect your decision.  The thing is... all that means is you have your Starscream revenant/cursed clone die a hero, rebelling one last time against Galvatron.

Oh, and re-reading my last post, if it wasn't clear, I saw very little of the animation for these series.  Not even a full episode of Energon, maybe two to three of Armada, and 20 or so of Cybertron.  I read episode synopsis, and even an interesting thread reviewing and discussing the entire series titled "Revisting Energon" (or maybe "Revisiting Transformers: Energon" or something like that) by Mako Crab.

Anyway, last night was a wash but I've got a tiny bit of time to read some of your stuff now so... I'll go do that. :D

Addendum: Since it came up in that TFW2005 thread, I thought I'd mention that, while I completely understand the idea of trying to divorce Cybertron so that the Unicron Trilogy isn't actually a trilogy, I think the better but much more challenging thing is to embrace Unicron's double destruction warping space and time.  Simply put, Transformers messed with such things often enough that it isn't a foreign concept to fans and there are some fascinating story options it enables.

Of course, I'm biased because of that Velocitronian Stunticon fic I never finished. :doh The idea was to expand upon the Cybteron setting, and in doing so, encounter more areas (and people and Cybertronians) facing dire consequences from the space/time distortion.  Like having some humans - via Autobot technology - colonizing an alien world during the events of Energon (assuming that even worked out with Energon canon) but suddenly finding themselves cut off from Earth and Cybertron because their personal histories suddenly never happened.

Edited by Otaku, 20 May 2020 - 07:58 PM.

#32 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3947 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:10 PM

Armada Unicron arc is worth a watch at least for the final battle between Optimus and Galvatron, Energon, don't waste your time, its stands as one of the poorest Transformers series. Cybertron, I recomend watching it as Galaxy Force with original language and subtitles, its pretty obvious the people at the animation studio took a look at what been done before in terms of story and said "Sod it!" They opted to go the route of a full on reboot with just the vauge premise of Black hole threatening universe, no need for Unicron, no need for Kicker or the other humans from the previous series and honestly, I think that was a good move on their part, thou the show is far from prefect but its superior to Energon by miles, besides, the toy line was pretty cool, I loved the leader Optimus prime toy, stands as one of my favourte OP figures, sure the show treats him as a Firetruck but he still a badass looking bot with the best Super mode (thou that is debatable) in the four Japanese animes that got offical dubs.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#33 Otaku

Otaku

The Repentant Fool

• Citizen
  • 2796 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:18 PM

Someday I'll watch them all, Superomegaprime... but I liked the connection Cybertron had, even though it was completely added for the western release.  Given how much I can enjoy fairly generic anime, I'll probably will enjoy Galaxy Force as well (when I get around to it).

#34 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30330 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

And let's not kid ourselves here. It is immensely obvious that the likes of Exillion, Dreadrock, Guardshell, First Aid, etc. were designed with the blatant intention of being the same characters as Hot Shot, Jetfire, Landmine, Red Alert, etc., as evidenced by the consistent designs of their headsculpts.

The only Galaxy Force character who felt completely shoehorned into being a preexisting character in a way that was jarring was Sonic Bomber, who was most obviously meant to be an all new character and shared absolutely nothing in common with Wing Saber in terms of personality or visual design. The fact that both of them were winged-altmoded combination partners with Optimus is the only reason they were forced into being the same guy, but that's nothing special since Optimus was combining with multiple different partners across the trilogy: Jetfire, Overload, Omega Supreme, and Leobreaker. What would one more have hurt?

Granted, Cybertron Wing Saber turned out to be a much better character (and toy) than Energon Wing Saber, and his having his sword blades store in his wings in altmode did make the name all too appropriate, but still.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#35 Thundercracker Prime

Thundercracker Prime

Here in Defiance of All

• Citizen
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:38 AM

As you wish but... I thought I just described the TM2 Dinobot treatment? :wtf

Well, I guess not technically.  If you're not going to go for the original planned, then scrapped, then retconned back in Unicron Trilogy out of these three series, and just cut Transformers: Cybertron, I can respect your decision.  The thing is... all that means is you have your Starscream revenant/cursed clone die a hero, rebelling one last time against Galvatron.

Oh, and re-reading my last post, if it wasn't clear, I saw very little of the animation for these series.  Not even a full episode of Energon, maybe two to three of Armada, and 20 or so of Cybertron.  I read episode synopsis, and even an interesting thread reviewing and discussing the entire series titled "Revisting Energon" (or maybe "Revisiting Transformers: Energon" or something like that) by Mako Crab.

Anyway, last night was a wash but I've got a tiny bit of time to read some of your stuff now so... I'll go do that. :D

Addendum: Since it came up in that TFW2005 thread, I thought I'd mention that, while I completely understand the idea of trying to divorce Cybertron so that the Unicron Trilogy isn't actually a trilogy, I think the better but much more challenging thing is to embrace Unicron's double destruction warping space and time.  Simply put, Transformers messed with such things often enough that it isn't a foreign concept to fans and there are some fascinating story options it enables.

Of course, I'm biased because of that Velocitronian Stunticon fic I never finished. :doh The idea was to expand upon the Cybteron setting, and in doing so, encounter more areas (and people and Cybertronians) facing dire consequences from the space/time distortion.  Like having some humans - via Autobot technology - colonizing an alien world during the events of Energon (assuming that even worked out with Energon canon) but suddenly finding themselves cut off from Earth and Cybertron because their personal histories suddenly never happened.

I understand your argument, but my disinterest in rewriting Cybertron is ultimately a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  It works well enough as a standalone series, so I see no point in trying to rewrite it into being something it was never intended to be.

Decepticons, FOREVER!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users