Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass X÷ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2021 - 02:57 PM)

Bass XO has no known weaknesses.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Base XO is definitely unstoppable.

@  Donocropolis : (07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM)

What about magnets? No one knows how they work or what they can do.

@  Bass X0 : (07 June 2021 - 02:22 PM)

Yes Cybershark, and now no force in the universe can stop us.

@  Cybersnark : (07 June 2021 - 10:03 AM)

Aaaan we're back!

@  Telly : (06 June 2021 - 09:07 PM)

its alive! AAAALIIIIIIVEEEEEE! *maniacal laugh*

@  repowers : (06 June 2021 - 02:18 PM)

WHAT!!! ALLSPARK!!! you IN LIVE!!!!!!

@  Donocropolis : (06 June 2021 - 01:53 PM)

Indeed. I was missing it.

@  Shockwave 75 : (06 June 2021 - 11:35 AM)

So glad the boards are back!

@  Echowarrior : (06 June 2021 - 07:45 AM)

It's alive! Alive!

@  wonko the sane? : (05 June 2021 - 08:32 PM)

Aw man, I missed this place...

@  Sabrblade : (05 June 2021 - 08:31 PM)

Now here in Manhattan, the spell is broken! And we live again!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 June 2021 - 08:16 PM)

Groovy.

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 07:23 PM)

How is everyone

@  Kaon : (05 June 2021 - 06:42 PM)

test

@  tigerhawk : (24 May 2021 - 07:42 AM)

I'm making progress with tweezers. It's no great loss given Dai Atlas minor roles anyway, I really do prefer this mold for Titans Overlord and Sky Shadow,

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 09:57 PM)

Had that happen once. Drilled a 1 mmhole in the peg and superglued a rivet into it for something to pull on.

@  tigerhawk : (22 May 2021 - 09:44 PM)

pliers, superglue, heat, nothing has worked so far but I had to take yesterday off due to pfizer side effects.

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2021 - 07:04 AM)

is there enough plastic sticking out to yank it out with pliers?

@  tigerhawk : (21 May 2021 - 01:05 PM)

Oh great my Legends Dai Atlas fell and the gun snapped in two, the handle is stuck in the port on top of the vehicle mode.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:14 AM)

Also, our compound terms are legendary among foreigners, because we throw them together as a single word, with no spaces and usually without hyphens too.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:12 AM)

You can have straightforward sentences that are a literal word-replace translation of stuff like "I go to school", but once you throw in perfect tense and prepositions, you end up with insane constructions where the main verb is at the very end of a very long sentence, so you have to listen to the whole sentence until you have any clue what is going on.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

And I stand by that. German sentence structure can be utterly insane.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2021 - 04:10 AM)

Fun fact: When I was teaching German kids English, I kept telling them that English grammar and especially sentence structure is more logical than German.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

e.g. Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den was by a Chinese guy pointing out the weirdness in his own language, rather than the frustrations of somebody learning Chinese as their second. So English isn't the only case where native speakers might enocunter funky issues.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:17 AM)

Then I shall concede, and retire.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:14 AM)

I'm not sure if that's even all that unique to English.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:07 AM)

Which is why I specified those comparing learning it to learning other languages as a second language.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:04 AM)

And I don't think "ancedotal frustration" means much, considering that every language has complaints from people trying to learn it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 01:03 AM)

The fact that these stand out certainly makes Japanese "not a smoothie". And it's only consistent within more recent loanwords. Older ones stick out in a different way.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 01:00 AM)

Even writing them generally in katakana is a consistent treatment, and gives someone learning the language a general expected approach. I'd say the anecdotal frustration with English by those learning it compared to learning other languages as a second language is a demonstration that this sort of consistency and organization was not a valued thing in the past few centuries of the language's development.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

Frankly, it just sounds like you think other languages seem a certain way because you don't look into them all that much.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2021 - 12:28 AM)

It's pretty pervasive in Japanese as well, with how these feature into everyday speech.. And I don't know what you even mean by "deep", since writing them in a particular character set basically calls attention to not just their derivative nature, but their relative recency as well.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 May 2021 - 12:25 AM)

Indeed, every language has those artifacts if you examine deeply enough, but in English they're not deep, and they're pervasive.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:56 PM)

like Japanese using three different script types together, and more recent word borrowings tend to be in katakana.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 May 2021 - 11:51 PM)

I don't know what you mean by "cohesively". Borrowings are probably obvious if you know what to look for.

Photo

Spider-Man: No Way Home

79 replies to this topic

#61 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49637 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:54 AM

At the same time, I wouldn't blame Holland for jumping off the MCU when his contract was up. Because otherwise he's going to end up being Spider-Man for his entire career.

#62 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32536 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:10 AM

With Iron Man now out, would Marvel really be okay with letting their biggest superhero icon (who they only added to the MCU relatively recently) be taken out of the MCU entirely?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#63 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6829 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:09 PM

Its not entirely up to Tom. The Sony contract also has to be renegotiated. MCU technically has a Miles shaped escape hatch, but the success of Spiderverse surely complicates that option now.

They could also switch to a non-Gwen spider woman. Jessica Drew (I think the Ultimate Comics version was a Peter clone), Silk, that other one with the black and white costume.

#64 HellCat

HellCat
  • Citizen
  • 29756 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:05 AM

All I want is a movie about Peter Parker. Not "We used all his iconography in 2 failed adaptations, make him whitewashed Miles" or "MCU is popular, so everything about him must relate to Stark."

Because of my rough formative years Batman and Spidey have always been my favourite heroes. With Webhead in particular, I've always admired Peter's code that you always do the right thing. Even if it burns you, if you can save people you always should. I'm tired of the MCU making his entire character be an unprepared kid living in Tony's shadow. For all his faults, Peter was fiercely independent. He'd be Spider-Man even if there was no other costumed heroes.

#65 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52943 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:16 AM

It is WILD we've gotten three?!? Spider-man movies without Norman Osborn.

card-strongarm.jpg

#66 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19229 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:33 AM

After the other two series, I don't mind them trying something different here.

If the first Spider-Man movies or maybe the second (for what they're worth) Spider-Man movies decided to lean this way, I'd probably feel similarly, but if they can't try something different on the third go-round, then when? Or should they all echo each other in repetition?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#67 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49637 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

Spidey has such a diverse rogue gallery that skipping the Goblins is perfectly fine in my eyes. MCU gave me a Mysterio movie, and for that I am content.

#68 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 37409 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:24 AM

Spidey has such a diverse rogue gallery that skipping the Goblins is perfectly fine in my eyes. MCU gave me a Mysterio movie, and for that I am content.

I like that each Spidey movie has largely focused on different ones. Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin 2, Lizard, Electro, Rhino, Vulture, Shocker, Mysterio.

One Character I'd like to see is Black Cat, or Maybe since the home movies reference Miles's stuff; MCU could do their own version of Starling with Liz.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#69 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 11213 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:11 PM

I'd welcome Black Cat featuring in a future Spidey film, but the one concern I have is that people will complain that she's a Catwoman ripoff.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#70 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11464 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

I was kind of hoping that after the prison scene in the first one, we'd get Scorpion as a villain

#71 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 11213 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 10:33 PM

Scorpion appearing in a future film seems like an inevitability, though whether he appears in the MCU or in Sony's own little sub-continuity...or heaven forbid, yet another reboot...is still a matter of debate.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#72 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9937 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:48 AM

Scorpion was in Spiderverse, that robo legged version.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#73 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

X-Wing: Mercy Kill

• Retired Staff
  • 10201 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:26 PM

https://twitter.com/...574589999718403

In an interview, Andrew Garfield denies receiving a call for Spider-Man: No Way Home. I am not sure whether to take this as a simple truth or rather a cover-up of an NDA for business.

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#74 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 9542 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

i dont believe anything anyone says about any movie until the end credits roll and i see for myself

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#75 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 34409 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:39 AM

Disney is gonna have MIB agents wipe our memories as we file out of the theaters.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#76 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1511 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:43 AM

I've already seen it 3 times

I think

I don't remember

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#77 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32536 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:24 AM

Disney is gonna have MIB agents wipe our memories as we file out of the theaters.

Oh great. So now Disney owns MIB, too, huh?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#78 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

• Supporter
  • 6829 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:15 AM

Oh great. So now Disney owns MIB, too, huh?
Well it is technically a Marvel Property now

#79 Daith

Daith

Is this the Way?...

• Supporter
  • 10062 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:13 PM

Wasnt it always, or has been since before the 2nd film.

Edit. Marvel bought Malibu in 94 three years before the 1st movie. So pretty much a Marvel adjacent property shepherded by Sony.

Edited by Daith, 05 May 2021 - 02:17 PM.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#80 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

• Supporter
  • 6829 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:12 PM

I knew it was something along those lines. Didnt realize it was that long ago though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users