Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo
- - - - -

Community Questions for Forums

forums server upgrade

46 replies to this topic

#21 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:10 AM

The only other forum I frequent, the Perpetual Motion music boards (pmrising.com/pm) uses the same software used here. Just a more up to date version, I think. I think what we have here is fine, overall. Making the mobile site more useful would help though. 

Looks like that one is built on phpBB, while the Allspark uses Invision Powerboard. No relation.

#22 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:15 AM

just keep the comic theme, and the thing that shows ive posted in a forum. and the go to the first new post thing

Any software update (including just upgrading the version of Invision) would probably require rebuilding any existing custom themes from scratch. That said, most newer boards would probably be easier to customize than the one we're on now, so it might not be as difficult to remake a couple of them as it was to make them in the first place.

#23 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12565 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:34 AM

Just as long as it doesn't lead to a huge increase in empty white space and loss of information density like every other forum "upgrade" seems to nowadays.

#24 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27365 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

A lot of recent web design, especially for forums, seems to be based entirely around phone and tablet usage, to the detriment of the desktop/laptop experience (the minimalist whitespace-heavy redesigns Phazer mentions seems to be a symptom of this). Following this trend would be a good way to get me to go away forever.

#25 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19740 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

What's this whole "no apostrophes" on the mobile site thing people are mentioning? Is that a real thing? Must be an Apple "feature", because I can type normally on Android Chrome.

Anyway, I honestly can't think of any real complaints about the desktop site as it currently functions. I suppose being able to upload stuff into the mobile site easier might be handy, but on those occasions today I just switch to the full site and then switch back. Looks like the handful of other forums I still visit mostly use VBulletin of some kind. Rebelscum recently switched to XenForo, but I don't know that it offers a whole lot different than what we have here.

As long as whatever we get still offers the Classic Purple theme, I'm good (if THAT could be offered on the mobile site, that'd be cool).

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#26 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18539 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

It is an Apple thing, and it's an issue with a ton of platforms. I assume it's because iPhones use inverted commas instead of typewriter apostrophes, but since it doesn't affect me I've never really looked into it.

#27 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

I'm glad you brought this up because the idea of the 'current modern' layout is something I've been back and forth on. One of the more popular forums/community software is Discourse, which a lot of big name companies use but it almost streams like Twitter. 

By default, that platform seems to be what you're describing as undesirable. 

https://meta.discourse.org/

But on the same token, there are obvious was to spice it up a bit - just requires more legwork. Which I'm totally fine with. 

https://forums.funco.../conan-exiles/5

https://forum.ludia.com/

https://forums.republicwireless.com/

You'll note that each of the above examples use the same Discourse product but look very different from each other. There are a few similar products available out there that do pretty much the same thing. A lot of reason that we're moving away from this at all is mostly due to the fact that it's no longer a supported product and as time moves forward, functions that used to work don't work anymore like the social media logins, the sharing stuff and even basic site features.

I suspect to migrate this entire database over with all the topics and user accounts will have to be something I purchase a service to do because the more time that goes by the less compatible this database will be with newer software applications. I even considered archiving the posts and only moving user accounts to the new platform but I'm not sure I even like that idea. 

#28 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12565 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Ick, no, that looks terrible.

#29 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9599 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

That's a shame, this was definitely my favorite forum software for god knows how long, but if they're not willing to keep it supported, it's better to set up a new board before the service shuts down

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#30 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19740 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for those examples. I have to agree with Phazer in that aesthetically, I don't find any of them particularly appealing to look at. The best of the bunch for me is the Conan one which is different but interesting. Their use of a contrasting thread window pane against the backdrop makes it "prettier", even if it's still a lot of unused space. I do prefer how the 'Spark or the TFW forums fill my entire screen. I also kind of dig their forum boxes for specific subjects, and then what I assume is an updating scroll of all recent posts down below. I also assume all the standard functionality is there, some sort of highlight for going to the first unread post and so on?

I'm not sure if the same software that Rebelscum uses is worth pursuing, but it seems to offer something in between our older forum style and that newer Discourse. Viewing it on mobile (again, Android/Chrome) also appears to have full functionality, while fitting on the small screen.

Edited by Dake, 19 February 2020 - 04:23 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#31 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

That is Xenforo which a few other places mentioned previously also use.

#32 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

One of the primary reasons this is an issue is it's pretty consistent that the average amount of desktop users is around 40% at any given time and as many have said, this isn't very accommodating to it right now so there has to be some middle ground.

#33 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19740 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

I was going to add that if we need to start fresh, that's ok too as long as we can archive this board and still search it and so on. We've gotten spoiled by being able to keep this one running as long as we have. Remember when we had to close down threads at 200 pages or risk crashing? The fact that the picture thread is over 2000 pages deep is pretty amazing to me. So while a full migration would be nice, I don't think the lack of it should stand in the way of getting what we want otherwise. Doubly so if it's going to cost thousands of dollars to pay an outside company to bring it over.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#34 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

Yup. That's going to need a poll along with our feasible options when we get to that point. 

#35 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Meow and some such

• Supporter
  • 4789 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

What software does the DC Universe Online Forums use? I looks fairly nice. 
https://forums.daybr.../dcuo/index.php

Can the Allspark help me finalize my moms final expenses and help me restart my life? https://www.gofundme...3b9342a8b25bbfd

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345 Actual friends: um....

#36 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

What software does the DC Universe Online Forums use? I looks fairly nice. 
https://forums.daybr.../dcuo/index.php

Checked the page source, looks like it's another one using Xenforo (see Kalidor's post above).

#37 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

That definitely seems to be one of the more "half modern half olden days" forum software. 

#38 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19740 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:57 PM

More and more I'm liking Xenforo. :D

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#39 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Yeah. I personally like the modern approach of Discourse but Xenforo seems neat. I've also been looking at Flarum, which is kind of like Discourse but is too new to consider at this point. Discourse seems to be the leader in most of the current lists I've looked at due to the forward looking tech. 

I wish there was a list of "most populated forums" so I could see what people are really using. 

#40 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60179 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

So right now it's looking like Xenforo is the front runner for the next forums here. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users