Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Something seems to be up with Botcon

561 replies to this topic

#21 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18379 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Keep in mind that the USPTO revoking a trademark's registration in no way prevents an entity from running a convention they call Botcon and claiming it as a trademark. It just makes it harder to prevent anyone else from using it too.

Anyway, if this does end up involving FP in literally any way, I can safely go back to not caring.

#22 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26221 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

The USPTO argues that the name is "merely descriptive", meaning just "roBOT CONvention". The most viable counterargument, that it is and has always been also based on "AutoBOT DeceptiCON, is one that Fun Pub dare not make because they don't own those trademarks.
So was Hasbro just waiting for this process to end?

Non-lawyers, please stop trying to talk like lawyers with definitive authority on what the best legal thing is. At least acknowledge that this legal stuff does not always match lay intuition. I'm an actual lawyer that studied this stuff thoroughly in school. I am nowhere near an expert on this, but will do my best with that as a disclaimer.

1) Hasbro does not have trademarks "Bot" and "Con".
Also, Autobot is still derivative of robot. Not a slam dunk argument.

2) Re Hasbro waiting it out. FunPub could pay a relatively small fee and do the cheapest possible thing every few years to hold onto the trademark in perpetuity. Also, if the USPTO invalidates aspects of the Trademark (as opposed to it just expiring), that makes the Trademark weaker in the long-term, even if they manage to obtain it after FunPub theoretically let it lapse...which they likely won't for another few years, at minimum, since they just put in money for an appeal.

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#23 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1816 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Non-lawyers, please stop trying to talk like lawyers with definitive authority on what the best legal thing is.

No authority implied in my speculation and I appreciated you taking the time to elaborate.

#24 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29165 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

the guys writing the robot profiles weren't the same ones making Ching Chong jokes and posing the exclusive toys in real-world massacre sites

I'm reminded of that time just after 9/11 an American Gundam fan made a star spangled Sazabi in memorial to the tragedy.

Sazabi being a mobile suit that in its sole canon appearance was used to safeguard the hurling of large objects into civilian targets as terrorist attacks. Bravo, chief...

#25 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17103 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

real-world massacre sites

What, like, Cambodian forced labor camps?

The Syrian civil war.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6CE3F35C-ABC5-4853-A3DB-EF25AB70D511.jpeg
  • 5CC743AB-F922-479E-8636-AE6F8951ECF5.jpeg

#26 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

It's not truly BotCon unless you feel compelled to donate to UNICEF after an update.

#27 Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath
  • Citizen
  • 234 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

The Syrian civil war.
So. "Fake news alert" while at one point that was the image it was quickly rectified by the club in the proper solicitation image where the backgrounds are very different.
It was mixed with a group of unattributed "historical" images acquired by the contracted graphic designer. It was corrected as soon as the context was realized... For proof:
Capture+_2020-02-01-12-29-08~2.png
From this news posting here on Allspark:
https://www.allspark...k-squad-teaser/

Ya grasping at some straws there, bud.

#28 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

If I have to block a company's [unspecified representative] on Facebook because he keeps charging into threads with racist stuff, I don't really want that company involved with the thing I like.

[Edit: Life's too short for this]

Edited by Chip, 01 February 2020 - 02:16 PM.

#29 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52531 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

The Syrian civil war.
So. "Fake news alert" while at one point that was the image it was quickly rectified by the club in the proper solicitation image where the backgrounds are very different.
It was mixed with a group of unattributed "historical" images acquired by the contracted graphic designer. It was corrected as soon as the context was realized... For proof:
Capture+_2020-02-01-12-29-08~2.png
From this news posting here on Allspark:
https://www.allspark...k-squad-teaser/

You cant say fake news and then confirm it happened right after.

I mean you can but it doesnt help your case.

That particular instance seems like an honest mistake but stuff like horridly racist impressions were not.

Edited by MrBlud, 01 February 2020 - 01:53 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#30 Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath
  • Citizen
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

If I have to block a company's PR guy on Facebook because he keeps charging into threads with racist stuff, I don't really want that company involved with the thing I like.

Lemme be real with ya, chief. You blocked him because you disagree with his personal opinions that he shares through his personal profile. That's a lot more realistic than irresponsibly tossing that R worded title around at someone you have a disagreement with.

#31 Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath
  • Citizen
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

The Syrian civil war.
It was mixed with a group of unattributed "historical" images acquired by the contracted graphic designer. It was corrected as soon as the context was realized... For proof:Capture+_2020-02-01-12-29-08~2.png
From this news posting here on Allspark:https://www.allspark...k-squad-teaser/
You cant say fake news and then confirm it happened right after.
I mean you can but it doesnt help your case.
That particular instance seems like an honest mistake but stuff like horridly racist impressions were not.

That's why I put it in quotes.
The fake news aspect is acting like they ran with those backgrounds until final release. When they changed it with haste once they were made aware of what they were.

#32 Chip

Chip

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

"Chief", do not condescend to me on something you know nothing about.

[Edited to be less inflammatory, because that's needed.]

Edited by Chip, 01 February 2020 - 02:10 PM.

#33 Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath
  • Citizen
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

We can agree to disagree, so civility may prevail and we can all just be excited for whatever is on the horizon for the future of Botcon! :)

Edited by Primal Sabbath, 01 February 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#34 Chip

Chip

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

I miss BotCon. I just want this part of it to be over. Can this part be over?

Realistically I'm not making it to a BotCon 2020 regardless. Future years would be nice.

#35 Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath
  • Citizen
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

I just miss getting new toys in general, too lol
Only way I experienced most new molds was through Botcon sets. I'm very picky with retail offerings and Selects has been nice and convinced me it was a Club FSS replacement line... But I still miss that rush of getting to the chosen Botcon city on that Tuesday or Wednesday and the endorphin drip of picking up the pre-reg toys, getting them out, reading the comic. It was always an exciting rush!

#36 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

If I have to block a company's PR guy on Facebook because he keeps charging into threads with racist stuff, I don't really want that company involved with the thing I like.

Lemme be real with ya, chief. You blocked him because you disagree with his personal opinions that he shares through his personal profile. That's a lot more realistic than irresponsibly tossing that R worded title around at someone you have a disagreement with.

yes I disagreed with personal opinions that certain black people deserved to get shot by police and that all people of a certain faith are violent savages, sorry the R word was irresponsibly thrown around

it was also fun back when he'd say being gay or non-binary is immoral, so we can dig up more irresponsible words if you want

but this was just on his personal feed I guess so it's cool

#37 Chip

Chip

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Except even that isn't right. I don't have experience with his personal feed; this was all over posts from people we happened to know in common.

Edited by Chip, 01 February 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#38 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

I was under the impression that FunPub itself didn't exist anymore, so surely this isn't gonna just be, like, that gang picking up where they left off in 2016.

#39 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 15546 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

Ok, as I understand during the run of Fub Pub, their systems were hacked leading to all credit card numbers were leaked. Then after they apologized it happened again.

Now to complain about Botcon:

During the last year, the credit card system used for the club store was barely working so hundreds of TF nerds had to hit up the unprepared hotel ATMs.

Having the con in Chicago was cool, having it miles away from Chicago in a small town with a bad transit system was weird.

The cosplay contests weren't great, going by audience-applause to decide the winner just favors G1 over talented crafting.

The video contests, even in 2016, entries must be submitted by mailing in a video CD-ROM. Like, FunPub, you're telling me this over the internet, you know the internet is a big deal, you have a goddamn youtube channel! Consequently I was one of the 3 people who entered, and had a pretty easy victory.

Lines, so many infinite lines. This is the nature of conventions, and at least I'm in the lines in good company. Having retail-availible stuff in the club store was odd.

It was just straight-up better during movie years.

The exclusive were great, but what started as exceptional toys produced with the involvement of fans, for the fans, is now irrelevant when the mainline toys started to go nuts and give us Straxus and Jhiaxus. Now we have Fans making stuff for Fans without Hasbro involved at all! So we're left with a quirky idea stolen from Star Trek, and then even more of that. Honestly 10+ exclusives went well past reasonable function of Commemoration.

Club fiction was so caught up in itself that it's a whole 'nother teir of inaccessible. A blur of text stories
dimensional-shuffling and unfinished sagas. Retroactively giving it structure is an ongoing project from Jenny. The big exception to this is that Animated story they did.

Edited by Zodberg, 01 February 2020 - 07:02 PM.

Woooo!

#40 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 2242 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:40 PM

One thing I do credit Botcon with doing (I only went to the 2001 one) was showing me how much of a market actually existed for used Transformers that later lead to the loss of the majority of my G1 and BW stuff, but did lead me to getting out of college with no outstanding debt.  Keep in mind that was during the day when "G1" was a holy grail and everyone wanted to repaint Beast Wars toys into original characters.  Nowadays with all the reissues and character revisions and such there's no way I'd pull that off again but I still have occasionally had some success like zero-summing two TFSS subscriptions and the Seacons.  Had I not seen a dealer's room full of loose toys, I'd never had been inspired to try it on the scale I did.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users