Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

Photo
- - - - -

Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045

10 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

Everyone needs a spaceship bunny

• Supporter
  • 31775 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Hell ya more Ghost in the Shell looks great even the Tachikomas are here

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

We the North

• Supporter
  • 62657 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

I am so ready for this. 

• tec likes this

#3 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 31775 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

the video is getting hammered by morons on YT who know jack all about GitS

Some are gripping about the character designs that are done by the awesome Ilya Kuvshinov

Some are criticizing the war torn look not knowing that a bulk of Japan was spared a horrible war in the series lore

And some are bitching about the not being 2D when other Shrow works have had the 3D treatment to and have been great Appleseed anyone?

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#4 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4704 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

I at least get the 2D remark.  SO MANY of Netflix's "original anime" projects are in the same sort of stylized 3D CGI, they tend to blend together for me.  It's especially disappointing considering the excellent 2D work Studio IG did with the original series and OVA.

I'm game for more GitS, especially after the crap show that was made with the live action film.  But, I also wish we could have gotten a nice 2D animated series instead of yet another 3D CGI production.

#5 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25289 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

GitS is in a strange place for me. The original anime movie is what got me into anime. I love cyber punk like GitS, Appleseed and Alita.

But the following comics and series was so confusing, especially when it got to "political faction only mentioned once probably did techno babble for this reason unless someone else is trying to just lead us in that direction. I just have a hard time following it, so I kinda started watching more straight forward cyber-punk.

Still, GitS is what got me into anime and will always have a place in my heart. Since I have Netflix anyway, I'll probably give it a chance.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#6 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 31775 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Yeah you have to know some of Japan's political system as well but after Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor I kinda got the gist of it some of it is explained to a degree as well

The games however can throw you into the deep end sometimes it took a few play thoughts of the PS2 game to get everything

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#7 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8378 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:18 AM

i have a tpb of the original manga dark horse put out (circa '91 i think). it has a BUNCH of notes from shirow in the back that helps explain some of the more confusing parts of the story

• tec likes this
When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#8 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Another Year, Another Evolution of the Dark Knight!

• Staff
  • 13963 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

i'm hyped. I have enjoyed the GitS SAC tv series quite a bit, so more of that (i mean i think this is a continuation?) is great in my book. Although i do have me own fair share of nitpicks and criticism of SAC seasons 1 and 2.

To be brutally honest, i actually never really liked the original movie. Although that's mostly to do with Puppetmaster getting what he wants and forcing a merger with the Major. Meaning the ending is just not good for me.

fslookup.jpg

#9 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6918 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:56 AM

But that's the whole point of the Tree of Life and evolution imagery in the movie, that they take that step and become that new lifeform. It's the one change in the live action movie I can absolutely not forgive, that they use all that imagery that foreshadows the decision, they bring it all the way there and then at the crucial moment they show that they don't understand a single bit of all this imagery. They're just using it because it's pretty.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#10 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50765 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:21 AM

I'm still not quite sure what I'm looking at after watching the trailer. Arise and the weirdly titled other movie was a SAC-like show that seemed mostly compatible with SAC, while this is a reboot in a more cartoonish style but comes with the SAC name, rough designs, and Tachikoma instead of Fuchikoma. The "SAC" tag itself was a title just hanging on from the first series that identifies the continuity, and nothing in 2nd Gig or Solid State Society has anything to do with the actual, like, Complex. When I saw the title, I was ready to completely ignore it because SAC is done and dusted and actually outstayed its welcome, but now I'm not even sure if it means anything. Just what is this series? Is it in that continuity, or is it another separate reboot like Arise that's somehow even more specifically a reboot of SAC?

I love the original manga, the original movie, and Innocence. SAC is decent for its time, budget, and general level of ambition and I enjoyed it a lot, but they chickened out of ending the series the way they would have ended an episode with the same setup - when Batou shows up to stop Togusa from becoming the latest copycat victim and shows him that everything's okay and all those characters you like are alive and they're going to go solve more crimes now, the series is taking a swan dive into the streets from the penthouse window of potential.

2nd Gig might seem confusing, but around the second time the Tachikoma sacrifice themselves to save Section 9, you can begin to intuit that it's actually sentimental repetitive trash without anything to say instead. It's also the series that gives us baby Motoko who looks exactly like Motoko (so you might as well forget about that watch being her one sentimental attachment) and a villain that should be philosophizing at Treize Khushrenada instead. 

It's the one change in the live action movie I can absolutely not forgive, that they use all that imagery that foreshadows the decision, they bring it all the way there and then at the crucial moment they show that they don't understand a single bit of all this imagery. They're just using it because it's pretty.

The live action movie is entirely cut together from scenes voided of their original context and trailing their irrelevant imagery. Like, it bothered me when the first Arise movie had to make these hammy visual references to the movie like the guy with the power claw hand picking up the Major by her face and breaking her face plate dealio. But the live action movie just couldn't stop using scenes directly from the 1995 movie and copying every detail even when the details made no sense in the context of the movie they were making. As a result, they managed to fail at basic filmmaking because their scenes would sometimes be trying to fill a different emotional or pacing role than the original use and they'd end up playing them out like the originals.

Basically, I have no confidence in any new GitS content to be anything like as smart as the original manga or film, or even enough to understand the original enough to ape it correctly.

If you don't like the thematic aspect here, it's also worth saying that SAC makes the same change, even if it does so deliberately. The manga presented a hugged up world and protagonists with a grey-moral relationship to it. The movie made the police including Section 9 brutal af (something that characters comment on) and emphasized how much our heroes were state-owned property. Both versions of the Major (Shirow's tough but fair boss and Oshii's angsty teenager) sidestep all of that when they step out of society entirely to merge with the Puppet Master. Innocence has Batou following the Major's character track without making that choice to leave, and once in a while, when he stops moving long enough, you kinda start to notice he's a bit of an empty doll.

The first thing SAC wants us to know about the future police is that the Major shoots to maim and believes strongly in conformity to society, and when she's given the option two thirds of a season later (given the memories of someone who did indeed make the choice to step out of society and become something else) she doesn't step off that track. (And I know this version of the character still does so in Solid State Society or whatever but it's trash so) The SAC Major is a driven, disciplined true believer and the last person you'd describe as willing to give up her identity for the chance to grow. 

(Which, you know, is all fine, SAC was adapting the half of the manga the movie didn't and didn't need to try to do both. There's a lot of directions to go from the material the manga includes. That doesn't make SAC garbage, the ending does.)

And some are bitching about the not being 2D when other Shrow works have had the 3D treatment to and have been great Appleseed anyone?

Unless you mean Appleseed Alpha, that is in no way an endorsement.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 02 February 2020 - 05:23 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#11 tec

tec

• Supporter
  • 31775 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:12 AM

Ending theme now up

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users