Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 06:16 PM)

While I agree with you in principal: the problem here isn't the internet service providers. Though the onus of fixing it as a systemic problem is probably on them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 April 2021 - 03:16 PM)

then how would honest Canadian companies like Rogers or Bell be able to overcharge you for content, or not even make the content available in your region for varied and unknowable reasons?

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM)

It's on the internet, but the internet is being treated like it's regional. It doesn't matter that I'm in canada, It's the internet. Stop enforcing outdated and completely arbitrary broadcast restrictions on the global telecommunication network.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 02:32 PM)

Nope, security is not my concern at all.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 April 2021 - 01:56 PM)

I mean, if you're not worried about security and just using it to access geolocked content, there are free vpns.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 April 2021 - 11:43 AM)

To watch cartoons on a free streaming program? Might as well write my representative if I have to fix problems other people caused.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 April 2021 - 04:47 PM)

Sounds like time for a vpn.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2021 - 10:32 AM)

Aaannndddd no earthworm jim in canada. Thanks outdated broadcast standards.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 April 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Truly the crossover I never knew I needed in my life.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 April 2021 - 08:39 PM)

Dude! Tubi Tv has the Earthworm Jim cartoon! And Chuck Norris and Denver!

@  Donocropolis : (18 April 2021 - 05:51 PM)

Bianary Breakdown

@  Sabrblade : (18 April 2021 - 04:55 PM)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 April 2021 - 02:10 PM)

@  Telly : (18 April 2021 - 02:00 PM)

@  tigerhawk : (17 April 2021 - 03:52 PM)

0118999881999119725 3

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 06:55 AM)

No, he's just old.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 April 2021 - 06:49 AM)

I think he might have had a stroke...

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 April 2021 - 04:55 AM)

Phrasing!

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM)

NEED

@  LioConvoy : (16 April 2021 - 11:04 PM)

BEAST GENERAL

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 07:04 PM)

I dunno if to call them the worst salesperson ever or the best.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2021 - 01:33 PM)

They must not have really wanted to sell you anything.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:19 AM)

This just happened to be the first time one ever gave up and walked away immediately after ringing the bell. Like, no patience at all or something.

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2021 - 09:17 AM)

Covid didn't stop salespeople from coming to my neighborhood. They are still a consistent annoyance.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 April 2021 - 08:16 AM)

Random like "Why does god allow terrible things?" or random like "You can see them too?!?"?

@  Echowarrior : (16 April 2021 - 07:36 AM)

And yet, I still have to deal with random idiots on the street asking me random questions.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2021 - 04:04 PM)

door to door salesmen (or those offering religion) certainly are one of the things lost to COVID that I've missed the least

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:07 AM)

They rang the bell and were walking away before I even got to the door mere seconds later.

@  Sabrblade : (15 April 2021 - 10:06 AM)

I just got ding-dong-ditched by a salesperson.

@  tigerhawk : (14 April 2021 - 01:20 AM)

Sure he's a peeping tom but every single Scottish person does it!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 April 2021 - 08:09 PM)

Groundskeeper Wheelie say you're going to taste my rake today!

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 April 2021 - 06:57 PM)

"If elected mayor, me first act will be ta KILL THA WHOLE LOT 'A YA, AND.......I know it's on!"

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 April 2021 - 01:57 PM)

Campaign slogan? "Its Willie time!"

@  tigerhawk : (13 April 2021 - 10:15 AM)

I'd vote for Groundskeeper Wullie.

@  Donocropolis : (13 April 2021 - 07:25 AM)

A comic, yes, but we need a figure!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM)

No.. It's Tiberious Maximus... And there is a comic with such already. :D

@  Donocropolis : (12 April 2021 - 11:15 AM)

Yes. Color it like the Energon version of Unicron. Also, give us Fortress Tiberious.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 April 2021 - 09:49 AM)

Great. Now I want a borg cube unicron...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 April 2021 - 09:00 AM)

We still need Transformers x Star Trek toy.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 April 2021 - 05:39 AM)

I saw most of them at retail at TRU, but that's not an option in the US anymore.

@  tigerhawk : (12 April 2021 - 04:21 AM)

Dibs on naming the Ark robot Arkonus.

@  Kalidor : (11 April 2021 - 09:48 PM)

The only Titan figure I ever saw at retail was Trypticon at Ollie's

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 April 2021 - 09:12 PM)

Robosen Prime has market crossover with not just the toy collectors, but robotics enthusiasts quite willing to pay that price for a product like this.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 April 2021 - 08:33 PM)

One of my two local TRUs will stock exactly ONE titan at a time. It usually ends up "clearanced" for about 20 bucks off cause no one is willing to pay for at full price OR discounted.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Most stores don't seem to want to stock Commanders or Titans, never mind Unicron.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 April 2021 - 07:55 PM)

I wonder if Unicron going to crowdfuning wasn't just a price issue but also stores not wanting to stock and transport something so huge.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:47 PM)

It is, although this thing could also be considered a STEM educational tool

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 07:33 PM)

Doesn't change the fact that, for most people, $700 is a pretty hefty investment for a toy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 April 2021 - 07:17 PM)

I dunno, $700 doesn't seem that bad for what it does. Some of those Masterpiece figures seem to go for at least half that price, and they don't have any actual robots or even electronics.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 April 2021 - 05:35 PM)

Not to mention wallet-shattering.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you accept outdated names and titles that appear on toy packaging as "canon"?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13923 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

Here's the thing: Sometimes Hasbro plans for toys or entire toylines or sublines to be named one thing, but then their marketing department decides at the eleventh hour to change the name... but not until after at least some quantities of the toys' packaging have already been produced.

Some examples:

The first three 1989 Micromaster Patrols (the Air Strike Patrol, the Off Road Patrol and the Race Car Patrol) came in packaging that was still based heavily on the packaging design from previous years, featuring the unique branding "Micro Transformers".
Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-US. Micro-Transformers-Off-Road-Patrol-US.jp Micro-Transformers-Race-Car-Patrol-US.jp

But then all the other 1989 Micromasters were released in completely redesigned packaging, featuring an all-new "Transformers" logo and no "Micro Transformers" branding anywhere to be found.
Micromaster-Battle-Patrol-US.jpg Micromaster-Rescue-Patrol-US.jpg Micromaster-Sports-Car-Patrol-US.jpg

Internationally, it gets even more confusing: Canada and Italy both also got those three early patrols in the same unique "early" packaging design, whereas the United Kingdom got them in the later packaging design, and France and the Netherlands got both versions!
Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-CA- Micro-Transformers-Off-Road-Patrol-IT.jp Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Off-Road-R Micromaster-Air-Strike-Patrol-UK-1.jpg Micromaster-Off-Road-Patrol-UK-1.jpg Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-F-N Micro-Transformers-Race-Car-Patrol-FR-NL Micromaster-Race-Car-Patrol-FR-NL-1.jpg

The Beast Wars hyena was released under the name "Jawbreaker" in the United States, Canada and Latin America.
Beast-Wars-Jawbreaker-US-CA.jpg

However, an early working name for the figure had been "Cackle", and in Europe, where the figure was available in two different packaging variants, each of them featuring three different languages, both versions retained the name "Cackle".
Beast-Wars-Cackle-EU.jpg
aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#2 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3972 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

When I first started collecting MISB Micromasters I initially thought Micro Transformers were knockoffs.

#3 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13923 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

Apparently, the red Scout Class Decepticon car from the "Revenge of the Fallen" line was originally intended to be named "Detour", but ultimately, Hasbro released him under the name "Dead End" in the United States.
ROTF-Scout-Dead-End-US-1.jpg ROTF-Scout-Dead-End-US-2.jpg

However, the official packaging stock photo for the figure, which depicts European packaging, still features the earlier name "Detour".
ROTF-Scout-Detour-EU-stock.jpg

And indeed, in Europe, he was initially released under the name "Detour". Or rather, the packaging featured a name insert with the name "Detour" on it. Meanwhile, both the back of the packaging and the instruction sheet invariably called him "Dead End".
ROTF-Scout-Detour-EU-1.jpg ROTF-Scout-Detour-EU-2.jpg

Eventually, Hasbro released a running change variant in Europe, featuring a corrected "Dead End" name insert.
ROTF-Scout-Dead-End-EU-1.jpg ROTF-Scout-Dead-End-EU-2.jpg

In 2009, Hasbro had intended to release redecos of the Energon Superion Maximus (now named simply "Superion") and Bruticus Maximus combiners as Target exclusives under the Universe line. In Singapore and Australia, they were indeed released in Universe packaging.
Universe-Superion.jpg Universe-Bruticus-Maximus.jpg

However, it appears Target had demanded they be marketed under the then-upcoming movie line instead, which is why in the United States and Canada (were they were exclusively available at Zellers), both sets were sold in completely different "Revenge of the Fallen" packaging.
ROTF-Superion.jpg ROTF-Bruticus-Maximus.jpg

Right now, it appears Hasbro has decided to change the subline branding for the 2020 continuation of the "Cyberverse" line at the last moment. This results in a situation where toys within the same wave from the same assortment are alternatively branded "Cyberverse: Battle for Cybertron" or "Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures". Which one is the outdated earlier name and which one will be the final version remains to be seen.
Cyberverse-1-Step-Whirl.jpg Cyberverse-1-Step-Bludgeon.jpg Cyberverse-Scout-Dead-End.jpg Cyberverse-Scout-Grimlock.jpg Cyberverse-Scout-Ramjet.jpg Cyberverse-Scout-Optimus-Prime.jpg Cyberverse-Warrior-Soundwave.jpg Cyberverse-Warrior-Bumblebee.jpg Cyberverse-Warrior-Stealth-Force-Hot-Rod Cyberverse-Warrior-Megatron.jpg

Now here's my question: Do those outdated names and brandings "exist" as far as you're concerned? I mean, the packaging clearly has been produced and sold in stores. So is "Micro Transformers" really an alternate name for the Micromasters? Are Beast Wars Jawbreaker and Revenge of the Fallen Dead End "really" named "Cackle" and "Detour" in Europe? Are there Universe counterparts of ROTF Superion and Bruticus Maximus? Or are these really just outdated names which weren't caught in time before the toys were shipped to stores, to be considered no less of an "error" than the Cybertron Street Speed Mini-Con Team swapping Backtrack and Oval's names (compared to their Armada predecessors) on both the packaging and in the instructions, or the Target exclusive Beast Hunters: Predacons Rising Abominus giftset swapping around the names of all components except for Blight?
aR2oX8u.jpg

#4 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1895 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

Of course they exist, they exist.

Some of those names are also good, like Cackle and Detour.

Just because they're region specific doesn't mean they shouldn't count.

#5 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 13923 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

Of course they exist, they exist.
Some of those names are also good, like Cackle and Detour.
Just because they're region specific doesn't mean they shouldn't count.

Detour is "region-specific" insofar as it appears only in one specific region of the packaging, though! And was later corrected within the same market region.
aR2oX8u.jpg

#6 Jackpot

Jackpot

Neo-maxi zoom dweebie

• Citizen
  • 1045 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

I don't understand the question. On the face of it, it seems like an obvious "yes", since there's never been a Lucas-style authority declaring which TF content is "real", so we're left with the Hasbro trademark being the only indicator. If it went out under the Hasbro brand, it's canon.

But it sounds like maybe you're asking a more complicated question about... relevance? Like, what significance do these "alternate" names have? You also phrased it in a personal way, so my personal answer is that for anything fiction-related, I like to think that somewhere in the multiverse there's a place for every variant to exist. There's a universe where Dead End is called "Detour", or it's a secondary name he has in a universe we've already seen, or whatever. For purely branding-related stuff that doesn't have any connection to fiction, like the "Micro Transformers" mark, I... don't care, honestly. Maybe that's why I don't understand the question? You're really into branding details, so maybe "canonicity" means something to you in that realm that I don't grok?

buy art: MattDrawsRobots.com

follow: Facebook  Tumblr • Instagram • DeviantArt

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32302 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

Is this why Japan always called them "Micro Transformers" in 1989-1991?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#8 Destron D-69

Destron D-69
  • Supporter
  • 63732 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

I'm with Jackpot on this one, the answer is either "yes" or "I'm not sure if I understand the minutia of your question enough to say more than maybe"  with a bit of a shrug to indicate that beyond imaginary continuities where these things may exist in a multiverse of fictional omniverses that only the wiki could really put names too... I too don't really care that much.

it's a quirk of marketing - and in the long run doesn't make a lot of difference when most of the offending material ends up in the garbage.  

#9 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

X-Wing: Mercy Kill

• Retired Staff
  • 10175 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

I feel like the title should ask "Do you accept alternate packaging names with equal perceptual weight?"

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force.

-the Jedi Code

#10 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 68846 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:53 PM

Sideburn will always be Speedbreaker to me. Not only because it's a better name, but because it showed up on the Hasbro instructions or packaging (I believe it was the instructions).

ACItEK8.png

#11 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 12075 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

I find them useful ideas when I have to rename or repurpose a figure.

#12 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6466 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

The only non-Japanese packaging that says "Micro Transformers" says "Micromaster" too, so (outside of Japan) it's not even an alternate term for the same thing; it's essentially a subline imprint. So what does it even mean for it to be "canon" or not?

I guess Jawbreaker/Cackle just has different names in different countries.

Detour/Dead End is an interesting case because there's another Dead End in the same line, so I think this one should have been Detour so they'd be clearly not the same character.

Edited by NovaSaber, 14 December 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#13 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 4199 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:56 PM

I just use the name I saw when I first encountered the character, it doesn't matter a whole bunch if it's right as I'm not creating official canon. Deathsaurus will always be Deszaras to me, and that's alright.

#14 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32302 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Sideburn will always be Speedbreaker to me. Not only because it's a better name, but because it showed up on the Hasbro instructions or packaging (I believe it was the instructions).

Toy bio.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#15 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 2131 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

In IDW, Octane is still Octane to me, not Tankor (tall or otherwise).

Is that relevant to this thread? I'm not sure.

#16 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1895 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

The only non-Japanese packaging that says "Micro Transformers" says "Micromaster" too, so (outside of Japan) it's not even an alternate term for the same thing; it's essentially a subline imprint. So what does it even mean for it to be "canon" or not?

I guess Jawbreaker/Cackle just has different names in different countries.

Detour/Dead End is an interesting case because there's another Dead End in the same line, so I think this would should have been Detour so they'd be clearly not the same character.

I dunno, given the bios for both those Dead Ends are creepy bots that rarely talk and drain the fuel from their companions while they sleep, even with the name Detour they still sound like the same guy. The titanium one doesn't mention draining fuel, but still sounds like the same guy as well.

#17 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Citizen
  • 1102 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

Canon to what?

While the TFWiki may be organized by continuity, the vast majority of people do not try to fit every little thing into some fictional timeline.

Sometimes they are just toys of the characters in your comic book or tv show.
jBU1ixT.jpg

#18 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:06 PM

look I don't even accept "skyfire"

#19 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

Here's the thing: Sometimes Hasbro plans for toys or entire toylines or sublines to be named one thing, but then their marketing department decides at the eleventh hour to change the name... but not until after at least some quantities of the toys' packaging have already been produced.

Some examples:

The first three 1989 Micromaster Patrols (the Air Strike Patrol, the Off Road Patrol and the Race Car Patrol) came in packaging that was still based heavily on the packaging design from previous years, featuring the unique branding "Micro Transformers".
Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-US. Micro-Transformers-Off-Road-Patrol-US.jp Micro-Transformers-Race-Car-Patrol-US.jp

But then all the other 1989 Micromasters were released in completely redesigned packaging, featuring an all-new "Transformers" logo and no "Micro Transformers" branding anywhere to be found.
Micromaster-Battle-Patrol-US.jpg Micromaster-Rescue-Patrol-US.jpg Micromaster-Sports-Car-Patrol-US.jpg

Internationally, it gets even more confusing: Canada and Italy both also got those three early patrols in the same unique "early" packaging design, whereas the United Kingdom got them in the later packaging design, and France and the Netherlands got both versions!
Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-CA- Micro-Transformers-Off-Road-Patrol-IT.jp Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Off-Road-R Micromaster-Air-Strike-Patrol-UK-1.jpg Micromaster-Off-Road-Patrol-UK-1.jpg Micro-Transformers-Air-Strike-Patrol-F-N Micro-Transformers-Race-Car-Patrol-FR-NL Micromaster-Race-Car-Patrol-FR-NL-1.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what "canon" means in this context. I mean, even the "Micro Transformers" are listed on the packages themselves as "Micromasters," so that remains the canonical name for those figures. "Micro Transformers" is just a somewhat more descriptive than usual line name, used instead of merely "Transformers."

#20 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 20334 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

It's a slippery slope isn't it? It's how we have the RIBFIR/FIBRIR thing today, as the packaging said one thing while other sources said the opposite.

Do you look at "intent" there? What about Alternators Windcharger which was supposed to be Overdrive?

I think I like IDW's approach that basically ALL the names were correct for different versions of the character. Which makes sense really - there is obviously more than on "Brian" in the world. How weird would it be if everyone with the same name had to look more or less alike?

8ZSy6aw.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users