Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

Photo
- - - - -

The Simpsons might be ending.

32 replies to this topic

#1 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

ABOUT TIME!

http://www.fortresso...aI69znKYDm97CNc

This show should had ended in 2000 with Behind the Laughter.

I've been a fan of the Simpsons since i saw them on Tracy Ullman in 87 and 88 when i was 5 and 6 years old and loved those shorts and i taped every episode of the show from 1989 to 2000 and the show should had DIED with Behind the Laughter! It was a biting satrical show with intelligence, heart (mother Simpson for example), humanity, soul, anti-authority/anti-hollywood social satire and excellence with a proper use of celebrity guest voices. Even quality writing with wit/snark/sarcasm and intelligence especially by Conan O'Brien and relatable characters.

I mean Lisa was a voice of reason, Marge was a lovable sexy mother, Homer was a dumb but likable father who had heart, Bart was a brat with heart and all that. I mean you had the brilliant touching episode of Mother Simpson which was the most moving animated thing i saw at the age of 13 along with Barefoot Gen, i mean Alf's score to that episode was very moving and memorable. You also had classics like Old Money which is one of my favorite episodes as that had heart, realism, sincerity and a good use of humor as i felt bad for Grandpa for losing his love interest yet had a uplifting ending on how Grandpa properly spend that money. There was Lisa on Ice which had a touching climax that had heart and sincerity to it as did Lisa's Substitute which is one of my fave episodes as that episode moved me as a kid even with "You are Lisa Simpson" note on it. On the "Bart sells his soul" episode, it had some excellent sarcastic smart well timed humor like the cleaner machine sequence.

I also remembered such quality episodes like my personal favorite episode being Krusty gets Kancelled which was an ingenious satirical episode that mocks celebrity life and had a proper use of celebrities than worship that culture as it was done the right way. That song "Send in the clowns" moved me when i heard that song sung from Krusty which was more from the heart than just for laughs like how when he sang badly during that "sending our love down the well" song. I also remembered when i was 10 when Itchy And Scratchy The Movie episode came out as that is one of my favorite episodes i loved, such a well written episode about Bart learning a big lesson and Kamp Krusty which is my third favorite episode of the show was a ton of fun. Then after Behind the Laughter, something was happening with the show as the characters were not the same ones i knew from my childhood/teenhood and i kept watching in 2000/2001 yet noticing more changes and all even in 2002.

I gave up on this show in 2004 and i moved on to other adult animation as the show was getting soured/stale since 2000 as i feel anything past season 10 is NOT The Simpsons but Zombie Simpsons! I feel The Simpsons is a product of the late 80s and 90s that belongs in it's own time and has no place in today's world.

Fox aka 20th century Sucks ( a formerly great studio ran by people who care before they went for greed/caring about money more than quality just like Sony as they are so incompetent). I bet some fans of the show who grew up in the late 80s and 90s like me who gave up after 2002 or 2003 or 2004 knew it was an abomination because gone was the intelligent satire, writing/soul/emotion/heart/intelligence is replaced by a living dead corpse of a show puppeted by the greedy Fox who only cares for money than quality as Simpsons is now just another Sitcom than a meaningful intelligent show with emotion/heart/intellgence/soul as Zombie Simpsons feel irrelevant nowadays compared to the 90s Simpsons and of course other adult animation nowadays.

I tried to watch an episode of Zombie Simpsons in 2014 where Krusty's dad died and man oh man i felt my brain was melting and wanted to punch the TV. Even seeing the Lady Gaga episode in clips nearly gave me cancer.

Yet if the show ends next year, it's better to kill something than let it suffer for it's losing more viewers and merchandise sales are going down the drain. This show has became a wounded fatally dying soldier that was shot a bunch of times in a war field and seeping behind a building with other soldiers and is asking "please kill me! please kill me so i won't suffer anymore" or being like Weekend at Bernies. The Simpsons had their time in the sun but since 2000 enough is enough, time to give up Fox and end this show next year! time to rest in peace, move on and done more than enough and more than enough episodes and more than enough episodes as it's becoming a joke of itself and Fox is hurting it's legacy, i feel like it's damaging things and i'm tired of it. I feel like Tom Atkins at the end of Halloween III with "Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!!!!". Plus had a good run in the 90s.

It's not only beating a dead horse, it's also beating a dead childhood/teenhood friend friend who needs to be buried. It's now a shambling soulless unfunny poorly written husk of a show.

I also feel with Conan and some of the other writers left even Phil Hartman's death, the show went downhill. The first 10 seasons even Behind the Laughter had life and since 2000 it's been on life support. But you know what, as i'm a futurama, My Little Pony FIM, Gravity Fall, Regular Show and King of the Hill etc fan, i'm very happy and glad they ended on good notes and didn't become shambling zombie corpses as it's better to let them rest in peace and move on to make new fresh adult animation.

I'm glad i stopped watching the show 15 years ago and moved on to other adult animation. I even saw the awful Simpsons movie in theaters which i had been waiting years to see after hearing in magazines since 1991 about it and it should had been made in the 90s and released around there or in 2000, now that would had been one hell of a thing instead of waiting too long as it's just Zombie Simpsons The Movie. 15 years ago, i finally did said "so long childhood partner, i will miss you" as i knew the show is dead and i moved on to cherish this show on DVD on Simpsons 1 to 10 to Behind the Laughter.

Someone once said that being a Simpsons fan is like having a Simpsons" is like an aging family pet. We all grew up with it, love and cherish all the memories, but sadly, the time has come to put it down.

Edited by Egon1982, 26 November 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#2 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13491 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

i'm sure Disney will keep it going with more movies or theatrical shorts.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#3 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1408 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

Complaining about beating a dead horse while posting the same stupid copy/paste bullshit keyboard diarrhea rant for the 100th time between here and TFW.

674960.jpg?b64lines=VEhFIElST05JTkcgSVMK

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#4 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17149 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

I'm not even clicking on a link from Zambia or wherever that's from.

Hey look, conveying an idea briefly.

#5 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52602 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

Even after 30+ years, there are certainly worse shows on TV.

card-strongarm.jpg

#6 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

297.png

#7 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4974 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

I'll believe it when another source confirms.  Danny Elfman hasn't worked on the day to day Simpson episodes in decades, with Alf Clausen being the dominant composer for the series until recently.

#8 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48114 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

The Simpsons is a perpetual motion property, at this point. We're talking full on undead nightmare, but undead in the vein of "Return of the Living Dead" where even pegging them in the head had no effect.

The only thing that will inevitably see the end of the Simpsons is when the primary cast start dying off.

#9 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5611 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:29 PM

Even then it may continue. Not like Kermit is still voiced by Jim Henson anymore, after all.

#10 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48114 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

Eh, Simpsons hasn't really been big on recasting voice actors. Otherwise we'd still have a plethora of supporting characters still around.

#11 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

The Simpsons is still proftibale, so no.

But hey Supernatural has finally been granted the sweet merciful release of death, so who knows what the future holds.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#12 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43610 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

I'd be entirely cool with it if they ended the series proper: but kept doing a 45 minute to an hour long halloween special every year. It's the only part of the simpsons I still bother to watch.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#13 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22355 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:04 AM

So that's it, after 30 years, so long and good luck?

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#14 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3669 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:18 AM

They should have ended it decades ago, rather than letting it get to the point they started writing episodes around whatever celebrity they could get on board. That Lady Gaga episode was the kind of indulgent crap they would have mocked back in the day.

#15 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10839 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

They should have ended it decades ago, rather than letting it get to the point they started writing episodes around whatever celebrity they could get on board. That Lady Gaga episode was the kind of indulgent crap they would have mocked back in the day.

Indeed. I can remember when they got a whole slew of celebrities in one episode, and the show wasn't about them.

Kinda sad that so many of those celebrities are dead now, but there you are.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 43610 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#17 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8755 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:38 PM

How about a "Everyone is 30 years older" last episode, and then ending it with something outrageously silly, like the power plant being shut down, so now Springfield has no industry, so everyone must swallow their pride and move to Shelbyville? Or did they do that story already? I'm about 10 years behind.

The Simpsons, like most TV, is like dogfood. If people keep watching it, they'll keep making it.

end it the same way they ended little house on the prairie, by blowing the town up

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#18 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9556 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

They already tried that plot in the movie though, but I guess they could succeed this time. :D

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#19 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

Having pointless celebrity guests is exactly what they did "back in the day."  It's nothing new, although I would say the period they started doing that (late 90s) was when the show really fell in quality.  

#20 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3669 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Having pointless celebrity guests is exactly what they did "back in the day."  It's nothing new, although I would say the period they started doing that (late 90s) was when the show really fell in quality.  

They always had celebrities, but they never used celebrities to substitute for worthwhile writing. They never had Bart go live in a cool skate loft because they've gotten Tony Hawk to do a cameo, or had the entire universe except Lisa swoon over Lady Gaga for being so wonderful, kooky and caring and selfless and wonderful. I won't even start on all the episodes where a family member gets a celebrity voiced new best friend/rival who is just as smart/cool/funny as they are and is never mentioned again afterward.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users