Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

@  wonko the sane? : (12 June 2021 - 09:00 PM)

Just don't drop him.

@  Kaon : (12 June 2021 - 08:03 PM)

man this chat is nothing but Bass X)

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 07:08 PM)

Carefull, he is a Bass Xo.

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 June 2021 - 05:53 PM)

Aw, it's not even a shiny.

@  Sabrblade : (12 June 2021 - 05:27 PM)

A wild Bass X0 has appeared!

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 05:20 PM)

I didn't even try this time.

@  Nevermore : (12 June 2021 - 03:43 AM)

8ass XÖ has hijacked this conversation.

@  Bass X0 : (12 June 2021 - 03:37 AM)

Its Bass X0. I named myself after my three favourite Mega Man characters - Bass, X and Zero. I did consider going with Vile Bass X0, but that would have been going too far.

@  repowers : (11 June 2021 - 11:29 PM)

Bass XO has been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

@  Echowarrior : (11 June 2021 - 09:25 PM)

Do not taunt Bass XO.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 June 2021 - 09:02 PM)

Please consult a technician before using Bass XO. Do not operate Bass XO while consuming alcohol.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 June 2021 - 04:48 PM)

Nine out of ten doctors recommend Bass XO. The last doctor is on my list.

@  Dekafox : (11 June 2021 - 01:51 PM)

Bass XO is available at these fine retailers.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 June 2021 - 02:01 AM)

Bass XO is not to be confused with Bay Sexo.

@  Fenix Twilight : (10 June 2021 - 08:38 PM)

It's good to be back, after that outage I think I'll try to post more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 June 2021 - 12:16 PM)

I think Hasbro Pulse is broken. Dang Star Wars nerds!

@  tigerhawk : (10 June 2021 - 04:46 AM)

When I googled 'space bridge' I was disappointed. Maybe in a hundred years.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 June 2021 - 04:05 PM)

Bass XO is backward compatible with the Sega Master System.

@  Donocropolis : (09 June 2021 - 05:37 AM)

Bass XO has 9" long, dagger-like teeth and a 12,000 lb. bite force

@  repowers : (08 June 2021 - 07:26 PM)

Bass XO doesn't feel pain. He can't be reasoned with!

Photo

Superman & Lois - upcoming CW TV series

55 replies to this topic

#41 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60894 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:45 PM

So three episodes in and there's a lot going on. I went into it expecting it to be more CW cringe and it ended up being the breath of fresh air I needed to enjoy super hero shows again. 

All the characters are spot on, despite my reservations, and I can't think of anything to actually complain about here. It is just that good. 

I would have thought Jordan might have been something you weren't thrilled about, what with his requisite "angry at Dad" outbursts per episode.

Well, there are several facets of that to make it believable for me. First of all, he 'runt' twin has probably spent his whole life trying to live in his super-star brother's shadow. But even in that context, these brothers aren't at each other's throats, they have each other's backs no matter what. 

How many dozens of shows have we seen where there's always the 'sibling rivalry' trope to the point they plot against each other. Not here - they have friendly ribbing on each other. I think it's a perfectly normal and healthy example.

As to the kid being "angry at Dad" as you say - he doesn't actually hate Clark, he just feels neglected by him - which he was. And now he's having to deal with a lot more burden that he found out his dad was Superman and it was being kept from him and that he has powers, but in the context of him never feeling good enough, even with the powers, he didn't feel good enough still because Jor El said they were subpar. 

But you'll also note that at the end of the current episode, without getting into specifics, we see that while they did engage in the stressed out family drama, they actually moved past it and are still in the process of bonding. I think that's another accurate and positive portrayal of a health family dynamic. 

You can have a "normal" family with all the emotional dynamics without it being an "everything smells like roses" and still address the hardships without deadbeat parents and kids who are just completely off the rails full of hate and spite. 

And let's face it, there are already examples of the more drastic portrayals of less than healthy family relationships and issues surrounding Lana and her family. 

And that's considering the fact that what you call "every episode" amounts to just the pilot and two series episodes. The show has a long way to go before we can say it overdoes anything at this point. 

#42 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:28 AM

Yeah, I didn't mean "hate" when I said "angry".

Anger does not always equal hatred, despite what Yoda would have us believe.

Just that I thought that the show choosing to give us a character with social anxiety and have him yelling in angst so much (as we see in the preview will be happening again next episode) would be something you or others might have found grating, since we've had so much miserable and depressing stuff in both the Arrowverse recently and in Superman films like Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.

It was something I myself was initially wary of, and admittedly wasn't something I was looking for in a Superman series, but so far it's been handled with the respect that a proper depiction of social anxiety deserves, of which I am grateful.

Edited by Sabrblade, 11 March 2021 - 01:30 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#43 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17611 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:23 AM

It does feel like they're building up a case of Jon resenting Jordan, though.

---Dave, still amused that Jon's actor is named Jordan.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#44 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11464 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 26 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

So just starting episode 5, but so far the overarching plot seems to be:
Morgan Edge is buying out small town mines to use kryptonite to give people powers
There's another world version of a Luthor who blames Kal El for his world's destruction
Clark and Lois adjust to being full time parents to teenage twins..

#45 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:02 PM

So just starting episode 5, but so far the overarching plot seems to be:
Morgan Edge is buying out small town mines to use kryptonite to give people powers
There's another world version of a Luthor who blames Kal El for his world's destruction
Clark and Lois adjust to being full time parents to teenage twins..

Jordan begins to struggle with both his newfound abilities (slightly increased strength/endurance and once-in-a-blue-moon heat vision) and his feelings for Sarah

Jon struggles to find his place as Jordan begins to overtake him in football and his girlfriend dumps him

Sarah struggles with her own personal demons, which also puts a strain on her relationship with his mother

Lois and Kyle are at odds with each other over their opposite opinions about Morgan Edge, which puts Lana stuck in the middle between the two

Clark is pulled back and forth between Sam pressuring his duty to the world and his duty to his family

Pretty much a good solid amount of very meaty plot threads altogether.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#46 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9948 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:21 PM

Saw the first ep. Can't stand looking at whiny, rosy cheeked androgynous Jordan. Hope Jon gets his powers in the middle of the season.

I'll assumed the armored enemy is Brainiac but Luthor? A kryptonian Luthor? Weird.

Who's firefighter Kyle? Didn't Lana Lang marry Pete Ross in the comics?

The kids are 14 so this Clark is at least 34 if he married at 20 (haha). If he married at 30 then he'd be 44 and, nope, he doesn't look 44.

Edit - saw ep2. I'm guessing that since Jordan and Jonathan are twins, they have to be touching or maybe in close proximity for powers to work. Or maybe Jonathan is the power battery input and Jordan is the energy output.

Also, is there a precedent for a black Lex in other media? TAS had a very tan Lex. And I guess the black suit Superman that messed up his world was from one of the Arrow Flash Supergirl crossover? He should be smart enough to know that it was another dimension or whatever version. What's up with him?

Edited by Fero McPigletron, 31 March 2021 - 02:58 AM.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#47 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:59 PM

Sooooo...

Spoiler

Edited by Sabrblade, 25 May 2021 - 08:59 PM.

#48 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:57 PM

Spoiler

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 June 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#49 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17611 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:08 PM

For comics readers, it added nothing.  But to people only familiar with the CW-verse, it provided an intriguing twist.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#50 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11019 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:37 PM

I kinda wish they'd filmed the Smallville stuff in and around the same locales as the old Smallville show.

I get it's supposed to be a small town on the precipice, but man, this Smallville High sure is a dump compared to the last one.

#51 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:26 AM

Spoiler

That's because it wasn't a fakeout. It was literally just the writers making shit up as they go and changing their minds during Covid. Plenty of interviews to attest to it. Even the actor has said he's gone through 3 different characters and had to figure things out again since they hired him
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#52 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49662 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:11 PM

Ah, the good ol' Battlestar Galactica style of storytelling.

#53 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:19 PM

Or Beast Wars! ;)

#54 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49662 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

Or Beast Wars! ;)

But no you don't get it! They're on Earth! With the Ark! Then they have to save the soul of Optimus Prime! But the Final Five Cylons are all revealed as to having been drawn out of a literal hat! A LITERAL HAT! THERE WAS NO BUILD UP TO THE REVEALS BECAUSE NOT EVEN THE WRITERS KNEW WHO THEY WERE!

#55 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Ballistic Knight Rises!

• Staff
  • 15290 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

So….

Spoiler

fslookup.jpg

#56 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32554 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:29 PM

I really really really hope they don't decide to reveal that 

Spoiler

I'd only be fine with this if 

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users