Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Cyoti : (21 November 2019 - 12:14 PM)

And Ginrai aka "Magnus Prime, Metalhawk, "Liokaiser", etc. The real characters that Warden actually doesn't know about are the late EuroUK characters like the Turbomasters/Predators

@  Sabrblade : (21 November 2019 - 11:06 AM)

Warden and Friends did give us a Lione (Sawback) and a Shuffler

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2019 - 07:26 AM)

Or prominently featured in IDW, or an easy repaint of an existing toy.

@  Paladin : (21 November 2019 - 07:12 AM)

was she in the first 3 seasons of the cartoon? If not then she's on no one's list because they don't think she exists.

@  Cyoti : (20 November 2019 - 11:23 PM)

It's probably stuck on the low priority end of Warden's to-do list.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 November 2019 - 10:45 PM)

Because the only full-body Nightbeat was that Bumblebee with a new head one.

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2019 - 04:14 PM)

Why has there been no new Minerva toys? I’m surprised at Takara. The Titan Master head doesn’t count.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

Photo
- - - - -

Windows 7 issue

18 replies to this topic

#1 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36485 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:29 AM

So, for some reason the normal "Aero" theme doesn't load, and it looks like Win XP. It's not an issue with the themes, already went through that thread. Is there other reasons for this?

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#2 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:13 AM

Win XP as in the bright blue and silver window theme with the puffy plastic shading, slightly rounded window buttons, and bright red close button? (That's not normally possible.) Or does it still look like Windows 7 (wide window buttons and probably sky blue bars) but not transparent, I.e. effects turned off? Or finally, does it look like the Classic Mode that Windows 7 includes, where everything is square and gray except for a duller blue strip on the title bars? (This has the same look as Windows 95 and is a version of the Classic Mode included in XP.)
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36485 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:19 AM

Classic Mode.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#4 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:54 AM

Huh. And I have to assume Classic Mode isn't selected in Personalize. I think it's used as a fallback in Safe Mode but you'd know if you were in Safe Mode, pretty hard to miss. 

My first move would be to make a dummy user account and log into that. Since its settings will all be default (or, well, mostly default, Windows is weird) that'll tell you immediately whether it's a configuration / settings issue, or whether there's something globally wrong in the software. 

After that, I wouldn't know where to go except the many support threads around the net that come up when I search "Windows 7 stuck in safe mode".

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#5 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36485 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

Its not in Safe mode, I know that.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#6 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

So yeah, I'd definitely try starting a new account and seeing whether or not it has the same issue, because that will allow you to narrow down the source of the problem. But there seem to be multiple independent things that can go wrong to cause this. = /

#7 Hg Dragon

Hg Dragon

Eyelaser Ninja Pirate

• Citizen
  • 2651 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

If you've gone into the "Personalization" settings and get Aero to turn back on, try reloading your graphics drivers. Sometimes some other app can crash and it will reset them and kill the Aero effect

#8 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5425 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think the issue you're having is you're not running Windows 10.

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

The upgrade's not free anymore though. So whatever bad life choices people may have made, they're stuck with them now. Win10 has been more reliable than 7 for me, but that's very hard to measure and always subject to what seem to be whims of individual fate.

#10 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1351 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

Little known fact, if you do a fresh install of Windows 10, you can enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8 serial number and you will activate your copy of Windows 10 to a fully licensed copy of the same version the serial number was for. Either Windows 10 Home for Win 7/8 Home copy or Windows 10 Pro for a Win 7/8 Pro copy.

I do it all the time and grab serial numbers from junk systems to keep in a spreadsheet for future use.

Edited by JRSBill, 08 October 2019 - 12:13 PM.

#11 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Ah! I didn't realize that still worked. I thought that was still dependent on that upgrade window somehow. Too cool.

(Ha, so I never would have known the difference myself. The upgrade tool was complete shit when I tried it and I would have only ever tried a fresh install after seeing how it operated.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 08 October 2019 - 11:51 AM.

#12 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4390 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

I do it all the time and grab serial numbers from junk systems to keep in a spreadsheet for future use.

I thought they require activation and that's tied to your MAC address or something.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#13 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

No, that change is that newer machines (ones that would have shipped with Win10 anyway) don't have stickers and store the activation code internally in UEFI space or whatnot.

#14 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1401 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

Little known fact, if you do a fresh install of Windows 10, you can enter your Windows 7 or Windows 8 serial number and you will activate your copy of Windows 10 to a fully licensed copy of the same version the serial number was for. Either Windows 10 Home for Win 7/8 Home copy or Windows 10 Pro for a Win 7/8 Pro copy.

Just a note that this depends on what disk image you're using to do the install.  It works for up through the Anniversary build, but from what I heard the latest disk images took that out, so you may need to find older install media if you want to do that.

#15 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1351 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

Nope, I just used it with the latest version 1903. System came with 10 Home, I wiped the hard drive to get rid of Dell's bloatware crap. Installed a fresh ISO image of 1903. When it asked for the serial number, I used one of the Win 7 Ultimate serials in my spreadsheet and after Windows was up, it was activated to Windows 10 Pro.

I've done this more than a dozen times using all the various serial numbers I've accumulated over the years for people that need new computers and don't want to buy new. I just refurb with an SSD and more memory and do fresh 10 installs.

Edited by JRSBill, 08 October 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#16 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6335 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

You can still do a free upgrade from 7 to 10 with MS' Media Creation Tool. Run it, choose the upgrade option, choose to keep your files and programs. I've never had to re-activate after the dozens upon dozens of 7 PCs I've used this method on, but worst case scenario you would just call into Microsoft with your product key for activation as long as you have a product sticker key on your computer case or a retail copy of Win 7.

It can take a few hours but I very rarely run into problems with the upgrade.

I mean, this would seem like overkill to fix the OP's problem. For that I would chase down Hg Dragon's suggestions or try System Restore. But Win 7 security support ends in January anyway, so maybe it's a good excuse to take the plunge. Windows 10 isn't complete garbage and you can install something like Classic Shell to get a normal start menu instead of the Win 10 start menu with its grotesque Metro tumor. "We brought back the Start Menu." :rolleyes

#17 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

I just use the full screen spread mode. I only use it for search-and-launch, which was improved over 7, and that makes the most sense full-screen.

I had the upgrade tool crash when I tried an upgrade and, once I got back to a desktop, it had to redownload the entire image file. Seemed manifestly safer to use it in the media install method at that point. But that was back when it was fresh so things may have changed.

#18 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4390 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

I got used to the piles-of-tiles thing pretty quickly; you just have to take the time to customize what's in it. Of course it's going to look horrible cluttered up with news headlines and ads for Candy Crush, but clear it out and fill it with your most commonly-used programs and it's basically a tidier, cleaner-looking version of covering your desktop with shortcuts. You can pin folders to it, too, which most people don't know about. The only complaint I have is that it locks everything down to columns of either 3 or 4, depending on a global setting; I'd prefer a more flexible grid. Maybe at some point down the line.

I'm very much not down with the ribbon they added to File Explorer, though. One of Vista's few big triumphs was managing to get rid of the menu bar and most of the buttons and still have an easy way to access all the options, and now the big buttons are back and they brought all their friends. Never mind classic Start Menu; I want an add-on that gives me back the Windows 7 File Explorer! Also I want the per-folder Preview View from XP back instead of this preview panel that's either always there or always not.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#19 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50368 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, the Start screen absolutely is a replacement for desktop icons in the way that they're typically used on Windows, and a hell of a lot tidier. I think one of the best illustrations is how Windows had had to add a button to show the desktop, which was functionally identical to producing an overlay like the Start screen but presented as hiding all the windows in between instead. I'd just already got out of the habit of using desktop icons in the first place and didn't need the new, better version. Like I have the Recycle Bin bookmarked in the file manager where it belongs.

I don't like the file manager switching view modes based on where I am, because then I'd have to go and set that up everywhere. I desperately need tabs though. I don't know how it's 2019 and File Explorer doesn't have tabs.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 09 October 2019 - 02:09 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users