Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

Photo
- - - - -

Generations - WfC: Earthrise Discussion

1782 replies to this topic

#41 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9464 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

Main difference between Spider-Man and Transformers is that Transformers had three reboots that really lent the franchise to be a legacy property, but now we're back to the same guys over and over.

It's like how there's a bunch of people who didn't care for the return of Hal Jordan or Barry Allen: they liked the new guys.

I feel like some of this frustration would be alleviated if Cyberverse's toyline got the same Deluxe/Voyager/Leader treatment with all the characters instead of just a selection of them, but ymmv

Edited by Sprocket, 01 October 2019 - 09:15 PM.

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#42 Lightbright

Lightbright
  • Citizen
  • 219 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

*double-checks the EarthRise Optimus pictures*

...damn it, they've put his feet on backwards *again*?! The curse of Dreamwave strikes once more :rolleyes

Edited by Lightbright, 01 October 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#43 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9464 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

I'd be more excited for Ironworks but that is a tiny, tiny base, and to make substantial enough bases without buying multiples of the same guy you'd need at least six to eight of these, but you know we'll only get three, like the Weaponizers.

Also I kinda wish we got Fasttrack to finish the basebot helpers off.

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#44 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

*double-checks the EarthRise Optimus pictures*

...damn it, they've put his feet on backwards *again*?! The curse of Dreamwave strikes once more :rolleyes

........nooooooooooooooooooo

#45 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 1250 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

IGN has previewed a few of the figures from the Siege sequel, now apparently subtitled EarthRise.

I can think of nothing that says "War for Cybertron" less.

But ignoring that, this looks like a line I'll be very interested in. Especially if they've finally stopped using that awful weathering.

once again Hasbro proves they are incapable of moving past 1987.

Ironworks handily proves this wrong.

It's the Autobots & Decepticons. They're warring *for* Cybertron, just not every battle is *on* Cybertron.

Ironworks.... "exception proves the rule"? The bulk and focus of the line is pre-1987. Ironworks, patrols, etc are stepping out of that line, but it's not proving the sentiment of that view wrong.

#46 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

anyway i am SUPER excited for Extremely Earth Vehicle-y Transformers: EarthRise to have Titan Class Giant Metal Scorpion

#47 Vexwing

Vexwing

You are being deceived

• Staff
  • 4072 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I'm really excited at the prospect a new Hoist and Trailbreaker.

The T30 versions, despite the MTMTE-ness of their designs, are really not that great. I almost prefer using Movie Hoist and CW Trailbreaker, but I'd really like something a little closer to their G1 designs at the large end of deluxe that this line might deliver.

35806863916_c3f0822359_o.jpg
I'm on twitter for some reason! Hell if I know why.
@vexwing

www.flickr.com/vexwing

#48 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66599 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

While I'm underwhelmed by this, particularly by Optimus, it at least makes some sense.

Think about it, we may be getting Optimus every series now, but each time he's been something different than that iconic G1 form.

• Siege Voyager - G1 robot, Cybertron vehicle, no trailer
  • Siege Leader - Galaxy Convoy robot and combiner
  • PotP Leader - Orion Pax that combines with trailer to form Optimus
  • TR Leader - Power Master Optimus that combines with his trailer
  • TR Voyager - G2 Laser Prime homage
  • CW Voyager - Combiner without a trailer

This is the first time a mass release Optimus looks to do the same things the original toy / cartoon character did.  G1 Optimus Prime with Command Deck / Battle Station trailer.

While as boring as that is, it's really something Hasbro and Takara will probably striving to do - to recreate that Optimus that first landed on Earth.

ACItEK8.png

#49 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23290 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

it's EXACTLY the point; both the writers and the designers are too afraid of moving out of the comfort zone.

Spidey can only ever be a single broke college kid & Optimus Prime can only ever be a Freightliner FL86- WITH trailer or else fans riot.

While Peter's economic situation definitely gets setbacks, I think he's been a working-age adult rather than a kid for while now. Like, just looking up jobs he's had, he became an editor in 2017.

But also

What's that, kids born AFTER the eighties??? You don't exist! This is OUR spot!!!

You were pretty specific that the practice of making character look the same was about age brackets, which I find to be the biggest sticking point. I doubt that every cartoon or video game Spider-Man who looks like the Ditko design was because Marvel made those to cater to people who read comics in the '60s. Or really, "Spider-Man" can be substituted with any IP older than Transformers that's done the same across a large number of iterations.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 01 October 2019 - 01:08 PM.

#50 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

it was very kind of hasbro to prepaint optimus prime's eyes yellow for me 

#51 sparkasylum

sparkasylum
  • Citizen
  • 1250 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

I'd be more excited for Ironworks but that is a tiny, tiny base, and to make substantial enough bases without buying multiples of the same guy you'd need at least six to eight of these, but you know we'll only get three, like the Weaponizers.

Also I kinda wish we got Fasttrack to finish the basebot helpers off.

Fasttrack is definitely missed... hopefully he does appear... whatever year they make a Titan Scorponok... "EarthRise" doesn't seem the right year for that, but then what for this year's titan? Countdown-base-colored Guardian robot re-use of Omega?

Fingers crossed Airwave, Hothouse, and Greasepit show up as 1-per wave. And perhaps Groundshaker & Skyhopper could be voyagers?(by other names?) Or even a leader for Grondshaker, would that be the leader class "armored car"?

#52 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Grapple looks good, but the problem with just doing their G1 earth designs is that I prefer the G1 toy I already have. Grapple isn't even fragile like some of them. A Siege Grapple might have had a different style.

That said, big truck man good. Hoping for a Bulkhead.

#53 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8433 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Soundwave's case of Yellow Eye is contagious! Get them to quarantine before it spreads!

#54 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2356 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

I'm wondering what a base made out of multiple base guys would look like. Not just individual bases connected by ramps, all the pieces mixed and spread out between them. I liked being able to use the weaponizers in different configurations and I think these guys will seem pretty boring if all they can do is form the one specific base mode.

#55 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23290 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

Soundwave's case of Yellow Eye is contagious! Get them to quarantine before it spreads!

I think it's a step up in Prime's case since he usually has blue eyes framed by a blue helmet, while Soundwave's visor actually sticks out in red.

I'm not sure if this is implying that Optimus should also have red eyes.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 01 October 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#56 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17489 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Eh.

There are LOADS of non-G1 TF toys out and coming out if you look outside the main Generations line. Botbots. Rescue Bots. Cyberverse. Studio Series. Lots of stuff.

Yes G1 is a bit too 1984 to 1986 at times,

BUT:

1) We've gotten a good stretch outside that recently: We've gotten pretty near ALL 1987 updated. We've gotten a large portion, probably a majority, of 1988 updated. We've gotten way more 1989-1990 than I would ever have expected. Micromasters! Ironworks!

2) Even inside the lines they've gone super obscure and done all three Powerdashers and Reflector, Scrounge, Barricade, Rung, Brunt, Sixgun, Cog, Impactor, all the Female Autobots, Alpha Trion, Sentinel Prime. We've actually in the last 5 years or so gone WAY outside the "usual suspects" box a lot.

3) If they didn't keep making honest to god improvements it'd be super easy to skip things. I LOVE the old Generations Grappel. He's so Diaclone feeling to me... but damn if that isn't an equally great G1 Cartoon inspired version. The IDW Springer is one of the best TF toys ever, but the WFC one is perfect and entirely different in the Sunbow style. This Earthrise Prime looks Better than the one on my shelf and Better than the WFC ones I've skipped. I can't fault them as much if they are constantly topping themselves...

-ZacWilliam, that's not to say I wouldn't like more new characters (Gimmie) and more Beast Wars revisitations if they can improve them (A tough thing in a lot of cases) but I also think some folks are overstating or ignoring facets of what we have now, which is often pretty great. IMHO of course, ymmv and that's fine.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 01 October 2019 - 01:12 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#57 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1438 posts
  • Location:Portland, Oregon. They promised me giant robot battles. I don't see any giant robot battles.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

anyway i am SUPER excited for Extremely Earth Vehicle-y Transformers: EarthRise to have Titan Class Giant Metal Scorpion

HE IS NOT HERE TO BLEND

389px-MarvelHeadmasters-2.jpg

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#58 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

Studio Series is incalculably more enjoyable to me than Siege because that line does very interesting things with its designs and transformations.

Studio Series is the same approach of "make this look like it used to". Actually even more so than possibly any line besides Masterpiece.

Yeah, uh, like, Studio Series is even more Doing Old Designs Again than Stege, because Stege sometimes pretends (badly) it makes a nonEarthCar or whatever.  Studio Series is what Stege is being accused of, but just from a more recent source material.  

look, studio series gave us ze little one, that makes it a league better than stege

unknown.png

#59 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

I mean, okay, if we're moving the goalposts from "what has new designs" to "it has a character in it that I like," then, sure, EarthRise wins because Big Daddy???  

#60 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 1824 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

I like the idea of a little drop-base for exploration (the theme I'm giving my Omega/Jetfire future setup). It also fits well with the drill and hovership weaponizers I have to those two. It'll work great with the toyhax rocketbase conversion set.

Reply to this topic

12 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users