Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo
- - - - -

Generations - WfC: Earthrise Discussion

4280 replies to this topic

#21 B-Fox

B-Fox
  • Citizen
  • 404 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Hasbro:  G1  >>> Whatever It Is You Actually Want From Transformers Toys That Is Still Unclear. Whatever The Current Comic or Current Cartoon Series Is I Guess? I Dunno You Just Seem Contrarian For The Sake Of It  

MAH GEEWUN/MAH EYEDEEDUBBYA GOSPEL COMICS. The new eternal struggle

#22 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31259 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

I look at that Prime and that Grapple and just can't help but lament that this is what the original Classics toys from 2006 should have been like in the first place (knowing full well that the Hasbro team of that era would have never felt the same way), and that if they had, then we could now be getting something more innovative.

Basically, it feels like if the Classics toys had recreated the original character designs instead of making updated versions then the current toys wouldn't have to keep going back trying to recreate what the Classics toys opted not to do.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#23 Unit Eleven

Unit Eleven

y'all'dn't've

• Citizen
  • 1077 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

A perfunctory wiki check says that's Trip-Up with Big Daddy... because the press release didn't seem to name either Micromaster for some reason.

On rare occasions, I have something to say.

#24 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1669 posts
  • Location:It looks like he's headed directly toward... WASHINGTON, D.C.!!

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

I'll bite on that Optimus. I've passed on one Deluxe/Mega sized Optimus after the next, waiting for one that really sang to me. This looks like it.

BIG DADDY

BIG DADDY

TALKIN' MICRO BOTS, 

THIS LINE'S GOT 'EM

Grapple? Yes! I definitely need a (*counts*... G1, HfD, MP, 3P tiny version...) 5th version of Grapple. No, I'm serious.

BIG DADDY

BIG DADDY

BIG DADDY DRIVE ME OUT OF MY MIND

HOW COULD I LEAVE SIEGE BEHIND???

Edited by repowers, 01 October 2019 - 12:20 PM.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#25 Twilight Noisemaze

Twilight Noisemaze
  • Citizen
  • 222 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

And I love everything...

#26 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13719 posts

once again Hasbro proves they are incapable of moving past 1987.

more and more I consider quitting.

I don't understand this sentiment.  Comparing Siege to G1 is no different than saying Justice League (2001) is the same thing as Superfriends.  Is it because it's the same characters with recognizable designs?  Do you want Batman to dress up like a bird?  Anyway, I respect your opinion, I just don't get what you want.  I wish they would do more of a Cybertron-based story, but no matter what, Earth is going to factor in eventually.

I want creativity. I want originality. I want a line that seems uniquely FUN on its own.

Studio Series is incalculably more enjoyable to me than Siege because that line does very interesting things with its designs and transformations.

Remember how each line actually had different-looking Optimuses or Bumblebees or Starscreams or Megatrons before they just gave up and settled on "Ever-green" design templates?

What i keep getting is lines where the central idea seems to be reliving the opening credits of 1984 over and over and over again, each time with slightly different movement points or maybe a different sort of paint. "Hey, remember liking this when you were a kid?! Like it again by giving us your money! What's that, kids born AFTER the eighties??? You don't exist! This is OUR spot!!!"

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#27 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24155 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

Basically, it feels like if the Classics toys had recreated the original character designs instead of making updated versions then the current toys wouldn't have to keep going back trying to recreate what the Classics toys opted not to do.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think any toy company's policy has ever been "we won't make something that looks like this because we already did it more than a decade ago". It's not like Hasbro stopped making movie-accurate Star Wars toys or whatever.

#28 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12965 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

IGN has previewed a few of the figures from the Siege sequel, now apparently subtitled EarthRise.

I can think of nothing that says "War for Cybertron" less.

But ignoring that, this looks like a line I'll be very interested in. Especially if they've finally stopped using that awful weathering.

once again Hasbro proves they are incapable of moving past 1987.

Ironworks handily proves this wrong.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 01 October 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#29 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 30532 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

I've made peace with the fact that Generations has become Geewun forever with post-G1 maybe getting a bone thrown to it once in awhile but for the love of all that is holy at least update the designs instead of trying to make everything look like the Sunbow character model or original toy FFS.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#30 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24155 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

Studio Series is incalculably more enjoyable to me than Siege because that line does very interesting things with its designs and transformations.

Studio Series is the same approach of "make this look like it used to". Actually even more so than possibly any line besides Masterpiece.

What i keep getting is lines where the central idea seems to be reliving the opening credits of 1984 over and over and over again, each time with slightly different movement points or maybe a different sort of paint. "Hey, remember liking this when you were a kid?! Like it again by giving us your money! What's that, kids born AFTER the eighties??? You don't exist! This is OUR spot!!!"

While Hasbro's press releases might lean on nostalgia, I doubt that it's the only factor,considering how long-running brands work. Does every red and blue Spider-Man make you accuse Marvel of being incapable of going past 1962?

#31 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9541 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:27 PM

I'll keep buying Micromasters and Ironworks is a cool twist.  Grapple looks somewhat more satisfying than obviously-a-fire-truck Grappel.  Really not interested in yet another G1ish Optimus.

#32 Chip

Chip

Machine Saurer, my strength / Only you can understand my heart.

• Citizen
  • 8242 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Every year of WFC is an all new theme.
2021 is the 25th anniversary of Beast Wars.
I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but let me have this.

#33 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Studio Series is the same approach of "make this look like it used to". Actually even more so than possibly any line besides Masterpiece.

Yeah, uh, like, Studio Series is even more Doing Old Designs Again than Stege, because Stege sometimes pretends (badly) it makes a nonEarthCar or whatever.  Studio Series is what Stege is being accused of, but just from a more recent source material.  

#34 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2611 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

Grapple is a must, fixes all my problems with the RTS one, Scales too large in robot mode, no head harness, combersome arm hook and black helmet.

Hooray for Micromaster bases, I hope we get a lot of them.

I am Very Lukewarm on Prime, I mean I like the trailer and all, but we just got a nearly identical one in Siege.

#35 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

Every year of WFC is an all new theme.
2021 is the 25th anniversary of Beast Wars.
I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but let me have this.

Oh man, I hadn't considered that.  I would give anything for an updated Transmetal Megatron and BW Silverbolt!

#36 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1669 posts
  • Location:It looks like he's headed directly toward... WASHINGTON, D.C.!!

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

I will say -- now that they've got this out of their/our system, I hope next time we see Grapple he'll look something like this: 

81IrH5BEwqL._SX425_.jpg

aga-002760-b-p55.jpg

61tWHrxu06L._SX425_.jpg

All-Terrain-Crane.jpg

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#37 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13719 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

While Hasbro's press releases might lean on nostalgia, I doubt that it's the only factor,considering how long-running brands work. Does every red and blue Spider-Man make you accuse Marvel of being incapable of going past 1962?

did Peter Parker still sell his wife to the devil because the writers were too lazy to figure out how to write a happily married superhero?

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#38 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24155 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

That's not even equivalent since this was about character designs and not plot twists.

#39 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12641 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

Hmm, I like those more than I thought I would.

God, and we're getting a Hoist. And therefore maybe a CHUG Trailbreaker that isn't awful!

I am actually a bit surprised. I thought we'd get another year of WFC, then an Earth based series tbh.

#40 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13719 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

That's not even equivalent since this was about character designs and not plot twists.

it's EXACTLY the point; both the writers and the designers are too afraid of moving out of the comfort zone.

Spidey can only ever be a single broke college kid & Optimus Prime can only ever be a Freightliner FL86- WITH trailer or else fans riot.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users