Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

@  Nevermore : (08 February 2020 - 06:51 AM)

MP-5 Megatron removed.

@  Bass X0 : (08 February 2020 - 05:20 AM)

MP-50 Tigatron and MP-51 Arcee revealed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 February 2020 - 02:26 PM)

SkiNNEERRR

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 February 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Superintendent Chalmers is hilarious too, or was when he was played straight. "An unrelated article." "mm hm." "Within the banner headline."

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 February 2020 - 09:03 PM)

"I'm not a real Mister but I am a real Burns I am an actual Burns..."

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Optimus looks like his Siege figure. Maybe this will be canon to the Transformers ongoing comic series at the moment.

@  Cyoti : (06 February 2020 - 05:13 PM)

iirc megatron ended up in equestria at the end of gi joe v tfs

@  wonko the sane? : (06 February 2020 - 05:02 PM)

I doubt megatron will fall for that friendship stuff.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 02:04 PM)

My Little Pony/Transformers is really happening cool!

@  Paladin : (06 February 2020 - 12:49 PM)

I don't know...

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 February 2020 - 12:39 PM)

Okay, Mr. Burns. What's your first name?

Photo
- - - - -

Mattel makes non-gendered doll toyline

25 replies to this topic

#21 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50755 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

And let's be honest, it's not significantly different in navigating the concept of gender than Lego is, and the boxes don't claim it is. But dolls are a locus of a lot of concern for little girls and body image and gender-typing toys that shape gender roles and all the various other things. So it might be selling on queer and progressive cred, but for the 99.99% of kids who create a little gender-conforming character who's probably straight and don't have another thought about it, it's still, you know, breaking the pink aisle, and that's ambitious enough (especially when the dolls seem reasonably well executed and ought to be able to compete on their own merits in that regard.)

(And sure, it's a one off thing that'll never be heard from again, but.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 02 October 2019 - 02:19 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#22 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:06 AM

it's not significantly different in navigating the concept of gender than Lego is,

Female minifigures usually have torsos with visible hips (Jasmine from the last line of LEGO Disney Minifigures is particularly ridiculous in this regard). Male and female minidolls are... obviously not the same (for some reason, there's a second more buff male minidoll body but not a second female minidoll body).

But dolls are a locus of a lot of concern for little girls and body image and gender-typing toys that shape gender roles and all the various other things

There are now 5 Barbie body types (petite, curvy, original, petite/smaller bust size, tall/smaller bust size), and a multitude of different appearances. I mean, i understand leveling this complaint against L.O.L. OMG dolls, who would make racy instagram models blush, but we actually already have this. Next year, Barbie will be a boxer for possibly the first time ever? Barbie.

That's along with vet and tennis player, plus a set that'll feature her as a Doctor, Violin player, construction worker, pilot, chef and.... tennis player (Barbie must really like tennis). A few years ago, we had tennis Barbie and computer coder Barbie.

especially when the dolls seem reasonably well executed and ought to be able to compete on their own merits in that regard

Doll-lines featuring "real" kids that don't approach the American Girl or similar size never last long, and I think even Mattel knows that.

I mentioned Curvy Girls on the last page, and I kind of saw my error in that a few hours after I did it. Curvy Girls as a line exists based on a claim that the Curvy Barbie is not curvy enough, and that she needs to be even bigger. It's this central argument I disagree with. Regardless of the body-positivity movement, I don't think advertising a size that is not healthy as what dolls suddenly need is a good idea. I have no objections over their inclusion of a trans character.

Okay, now to get to the meat of it. If necessary, I will move this part of my post into P&R, or delete it wholesale.

Spoiler

Edited by fourteenwings, 03 October 2019 - 12:10 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#23 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8893 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

I'm going to go with the 'pretend' and 'want to be' part. Like, some kids buy toys because they want to be super powered superheroes or be super sexy supermodels. So maybe there are kids who want the choice to be either or. Still fuzzy on the not mature
toy bodies though.

On the toyline itself, is there competition? Is there another toy company who saw the fuss and are trying to make their own line to compete? Cuz that would help the sales.

BB and the Rocksters vs Jamie and the Ambigrams in an Alternative Rock Concert, hehe.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#24 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50755 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:51 AM

Yeah that's more or less what I expected fourteenwings. 

My nuanced and granular response: Waaaaaaaah

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#25 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Citizen
  • 22756 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:27 AM

MY nuanced and granular response: lol

Gender's a conspiracy made up to sell bathroom signs, my dude.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#26 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2058 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

On the toyline itself, is there competition? Is there another toy company who saw the fuss and are trying to make their own line to compete? Cuz that would help the sales.

This is an even more wait and see situation than how sales are doing now. It was widely accepted that dolls were basically dead in the toy market for a while. Monster High was dead, Ever After High was dead, Project MC2 tried to happen and fizzled. Marvel Rising and Star Wars: Forces of Destiny both emerged DoA (Rising worse than FoD though). The Equestria Girls reboot could barely last itself through the initial lines. The first incarnation of DCSHG started strong, then sputtered it's way into a brand-based reboot, led by a story-based creative director, rather than one led by the toy manufacturers (ie, Mattel).

This segment of the market had moved on to collectible toys. Well, everybody but Mattel, who continued making Barbie and Enchantimals (who straddle the line between doll and doll-like collectible figures).

I guess maybe the market shift here came with Hairdorables? They were basically about the size of an Enchantimal, but were absolutely dolls, and were a collectible little thing that came blind-packaged. I guess after a while MGA saw the value in that and, though they stripped them of the absolute surprise element, they released L.O.L. O.M.G. as their first entry back into the doll market. They've also since made Poopsie Rainbow Surprise Dolls (or are they just Rainbow Surprise? Who even knows), who fit into that "these are kid dolls" American Girl market.

Mattel, on the other hand, started the year with their new brand game with Wild Hearts Crew, which they seemed to wash their hands of immediately. Then came this line.

I do have to admit though that I admire Mattel for never stooping to the collectibles gimmick to a significant degree, but we'll see how that does for them in the long term.

Edited by fourteenwings, 03 October 2019 - 08:13 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users