Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

Photo
- - - - -

Emergency, Dekafox! Rawr On!

dekafox ask thread who knows rawr yes that is a dekaranger ref huh max limit on tag length

167 replies to this topic

#21 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Candies Please!

• Supporter
  • 63425 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:34 AM

I'd just like to point out, that liking pony and being a furry can - and should be considered two distinct things, that often do happen together... but are not one and the same.

<- this guy... not a furry  

#22 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3829 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

There are a lot of fandoms I consider furry adjacent, where there's overlap, but the venn diagram is not a perfect circle and it's unfair to claim otherwise, the pony fandom is one of those.

I always say you can solve any problem with some combination of explosives and duct tape. It may not be ideally solved, but there'll be no problem afterwards.

Also, that vector art piece is neat!  If/when I post it elsewhere, is there anywhere I should link for art credit?

I'm afraid not, I'm not really on any art sites these days, but feel free to do whatever you please with it.

Edited by Rycochet, 25 September 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#23 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

There are a lot of fandoms I consider furry adjacent, where there's overlap, but the venn diagram is not a perfect circle and it's unfair to claim otherwise, the pony fandom is one of those.

That's a pretty good way of putting it.  I didn't say they were the same thing, just a gateway.  Like Zootopia, or Disney's old Robin Hood, or SWAT Kats, or...

#24 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36208 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

TMNT?

#25 Logicron

Logicron

DANGER: NEGATIVE ENERGY AURA

• Citizen
  • 35826 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

TMNT?

TMNT was so popular that it spawned years of copycat cartoons about anthro animals, which was probably responsible for the furry scene exploding enough to become mainstream.

#26 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

Of course!  Have you seen some of the side characters that showed up in TMNT?

29-21.jpg

This fox lady for example, even got her own feature in another comic entirely, that may sound familiar:

Ninjara-Furrlough.gif

Not to mention Usagi Yojimbo crossed over with them too.

#27 Logicron

Logicron

DANGER: NEGATIVE ENERGY AURA

• Citizen
  • 35826 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

I love how many different times the TMNT franchise tried to come up with a different character to act as the team's token female member but none of them ever stuck because of how lame they were. Of course, the obvious solution was to simply have Splinter train April so she could fight alongside the turtles.

Edited by Logicron, 25 September 2019 - 01:30 PM.

#28 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15143 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

I miss Irma. She was the best. I think the more recent CG toon had an Irma, too, but very minor.

#29 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:18 AM

Irma reminds me of Velma or that one girl from the MTV cartoon(Dara?) in some pictures, and others it looks like she went full Goth.

What is it about character making that's so engrossing?  I had the bright idea to stat out this Shadowrun werefox technomancer idea that's technically RAW-illegal I've had bouncing around for a while, for 5e(I think I already did it for 4e a while back) and suddenly it's several hours later.  I do some other stuff, read a bit about some technomancer ideas, and go back to rebuild the skills to be a bit better, and there go another few hours.  Now it's 4am and I've probably spent maybe 2-3 hours out of the last 12 having done something other than work on the build for a character I'll probably never get to actually play, and it's still not complete. (Gotta do gear, contacts, and write up the backstory that's pulled itself together from the original concept and qualities chosen.) Oh, and she still needs names too!

And then I was thinking of trying to stat out the kobold street sam too, which I've got sitting in an artist's commission queue, though that's probably a month or two out based on the length(though hopefully less). That at least I can do 100% RAW, using a SURGEd elf or dwarf, even if the chances of seeing play are slim-to-none.

It's not the first time either I've statted out characters I probably won't get to play, though it's been a while since I spent that long on it.

Maybe it's something about the whole combination of a logic optimization problem merged with creative storytelling...

#30 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36208 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:57 AM

Character creation is good at getting the creative juices flowing. The problem I have is that after a while of actually playing with a new character, I start to get used to them and yearn to go back to creation all over again... unless I've really hit gold on a particular character and there's nothing else I can do to top them.

#31 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Candies Please!

• Supporter
  • 63425 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:00 AM

with limited exceptions all my characters are vastly different, it's just the names that I struggle with...

there are currently about 70 different Skyrim Destrons lol

#32 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15143 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

Irma reminds me of Velma or that one girl from the MTV cartoon(Dara?) in some pictures, and others it looks like she went full Goth.

Daria. She started out as a background char on Beavis and Butthead.

I have too many chars I want to write stories/draw comics of. EB's probably my fave, Not only does he exist in multiple stories/settings, I use him as an avatar for games when I can.

#33 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Character creation is good at getting the creative juices flowing. The problem I have is that after a while of actually playing with a new character, I start to get used to them and yearn to go back to creation all over again... unless I've really hit gold on a particular character and there's nothing else I can do to top them.

I've been there a couple times, but in both cases the character in question wasn't quite as in-depth personality or background-wise, not to mention the new characters were also more mechanically interesting.

One instance was a long ongoing 4e D&D campaign. I started with a blue dragonborn Arcane Knight or whatever it was called(the class from the first Forgotten Realms book) who was pretty much just a self-insert. Much later on, the druid book finally released, and I found I could basically build the equivalent of a feral druid from WoW.  The lore also gave me the idea of a character who had inherited lycanthrope blood, and used druid training to learn how to control the shifting, thus ending up with the build mentioned.  After trying the idea out in play and liking how it worked as well, I basically swapped the characters right as we were about to start Epic levels, and then I played her up until that campaign died.

The other instance I switched mid-stream was for a Pathfinder game.  I'd created a racial write-up of what amounted to Maximals/Predacons, and had made one that was an alchemist for the campaign. (This was one of those cross-world parties, and I'd written lore to explain how they'd fit into a fantasy universe anyways.) He was a mercenary and I had a bit of a personality for him, but partway into the campaign I was getting bored of the mechanical aspect, and after one particularly big haul I didn't see any reason at that point for him to not just leave with the money earned so far rather than risk things any further.  We were also starting to integrate the Pathfinder version of Epic Level rules(which is a secondary advancement, rather than just tacking on levels at the end) and I realized this would give me the opportunity to finish the personal story of a character from antoher campaign which had basically died at the climax. So the Transformer left, and I brought in my kitsune gypsy oracle.  That campaign actually did finish, and she finally ascended to an Elder God like she would have if that previous campaign had not died.

I have too many chars I want to write stories/draw comics of. EB's probably my fave, Not only does he exist in multiple stories/settings, I use him as an avatar for games when I can.

I've collected a handful of characters over the years that I feel some sort of attachment to. I've gotten art of a majority of them at this point, though I've only written stories for a few, and in most cases its merely an expansion of their background stories. Most of their personal stories have not been able to be finished though, barring the kitsune mentioned above, due to death of various campaigns. Even with a consistent group, in most cases campaigns just fizzled out or died for reasons outside the game, rather than be run to completion. I can only think of one that ended as it should(again, the one mentioned above) and one that was basically up to the final battle before dieing.

Edited by Dekafox, 28 September 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#34 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Inside of every demon is a rainbow!

• Supporter
  • 52006 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

The mechanical side of building a character in Shadowrun is definitely intended to be a fun game, and it somewhat resembles the satisfying process you can get from other, better systems, even if it lacks any notion of a coherent underlying system or scheme. Like I ask myself why SR bothers with a classless system and vaguely simulation-like generation and statting out, a choice that means accepting polynomialy more complex challenges for maintaining game balance. You know, a choice taken despite the fact that the only viable builds in SR will always follow a defined set of archetypes within which there are a limited number of optimal builds, like any other classed system and unlike a more genuinely simulationy system like GURPS or whatever. It's almost like they don't know what either classes or simulation games are for. And then I remind myself it's because Ikea effect and because what's game balance. (Hey diddy ho diddy, nobody knows. I really appreciate SR6 releasing halfway through the process of revising the Matrix section, I think that was just the "we have some okay ideas, we have no idea what we're doing and we don't care" kind of cry for help they've needed to communicate for a long time.)

Character creation in almost any system is fun, though, even when it is artificially made more difficult for no reason. I mean you're getting to know a character and imagine all the stories they could have, but instead of just stringing something together on your own, you've got a bin of parts to stick together and discover what comes out of it and then find satisfying solutions to the problems that present themselves.

Now, I don't know what's an appropriately Shadowrun way of doing things in any context, since Shadowrun is in no way successful reconciling the part of its setting and system that's Dungeons and of the Rings and the part that's a cheap 90s imprint comic written for a Blade Runner action figure franchise launch. But I'm kind of annoyed that magic shapeshifting is a thing. I do wish desperately we had rules for animal drones similar to the humanoid ones, because a rigger jumped into an animal drone would get you most of the same (very questionable) benefit and at least as much cool, with none of the argle-bargle.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#35 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 41245 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:28 AM

Shadowrun character creation is an abomination that needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Give up tweaking it. Just start over and do some things right this time.

I'm stuck with a build that automatically fails most skill checks. But I accidentally have weirdly high people skills, and I'm nigh invincible to poison/drugs. So I'm useless but fun at parties.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#36 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:03 AM

Now, I don't know what's an appropriately Shadowrun way of doing things in any context, since Shadowrun is in no way successful reconciling the part of its setting and system that's Dungeons and of the Rings and the part that's a cheap 90s imprint comic written for a Blade Runner action figure franchise launch. But I'm kind of annoyed that magic shapeshifting is a thing. I do wish desperately we had rules for animal drones similar to the humanoid ones, because a rigger jumped into an animal drone would get you most of the same (very questionable) benefit and at least as much cool, with none of the argle-bargle.

Glancing through the 5.0 Rigger book, the Telestrian Industries Shamus looks to be along those lines, with some cosmetic mods. The Ares Cheetah looks to be another one that could end up spot-on smooth.

It was less the shapeshifting portion though that originally sparked the idea, but the idea that Resonance is effectively Matrix Magic.  When I was first paging through the 4th ed books(only having been familiar with the 3e lore via the novels) and found out about Resonance and how it worked, and I saw that analogy, it gave me the idea of "what if a character's magical talents got wrapped up in the Matrix instead?" combined with a dose of "Seemingly ordinary trash fox surfing the web from the alleyways, and growing up thinking AR and VR are perfectly natural" and the already mentioned "on the Matrix no one knows you're actually a fox."

Most of my more memorable characters seem to come from that background of "take an interesting concept or interactions, twist it 90 degrees, then dial it to 11."  I mean, a lovecraftian kitsune gypsy? A gnoll "werewolf" druid? A wuxia polearm-using "elemental jedi" catfolk? A werewolf paladin of the Light? I didn't see the part about not being able to have magic AND resonance until after I had this concept stuck in my head.

Shadowrun character creation is an abomination that needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Give up tweaking it. Just start over and do some things right this time.

I'm stuck with a build that automatically fails most skill checks. But I accidentally have weirdly high people skills, and I'm nigh invincible to poison/drugs. So I'm useless but fun at parties.

Sounds like you got the Face portion of things down right. Get the party some extra nuyen, and you can make sure the run at least starts off quiet, until the inevitable moment something goes wrong and it's time to go loud. If you have a decent unarmed combat(as in not defaulting), you could look into shock gloves maybe? (Or the equivalent if you don't have hands.)

I actually think the whole priority system is an interesting idea, just a bit limiting at times for certain concepts that need large investments in multiple things at the same time. Most systems either go with RNG, or point build. Sum-to-ten seems to be a good middle ground, after trying it out for the 5e build. I've not tried the life-path method in a Shadowrun context, but I did use it for a short-lived Mechwarrior game a long while back. $E's default used karma in a point-build fashion, I believe.  Not sure if that ever made it over to 5e though.

#37 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52006 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:40 AM

Resonance is just Matrix-reflavored magic though. That's why you summon and bind spirits but call them "sprites" instead (where your decker counterpart would just buy an agent, with a completely different set of rules.) So they have to keep them separate via redundant terminology. (Imagine how much book space could be saved if everything that was shared by agents, pilot programs, spirts, and sprites was, you know, explicitly shared by an OOC category of "minions" or something, and in one place.) At the most fundamental level, Shadowrun's answer to the question of "but how do we make magic and cyberpunk tech work in the same world" is "ignore it, then make character classes to keep them separate and pretend they're not character classes." It goes beyond the OOC rules - it's an in-universe thing that the inhabitants of this world think of magic and tech as mutually exclusive, and there isn't a reason for that, it's just everyone agreeing not to make the game they live in too hard to write. But magic and tech also each come in a variety of forms, and they only contradict where it explicitly says they do, so you can still, for instance, be a biosam adept....

I actually looked at the Shamus as an option when I tried to build my cat burglar. I just find the drones in general to be a suspension of highly specific entities with no room for flavoring, within a plum pudding of handwave. If you can realistic-features and synthskin a Shamus into a wholly convincing dog while retaining the Shamus's entire statblock ... then drones are just hugging broken honestly. A system like the "obvious" vs. "synthetic" parts in cyberware miiiiiight help? But it'd be significantly better to just have an open-ended, modular system like mini character creation for any given drone, vehicle, or gun. Shadowrun is a gear-obsessed game, and the SR books really want to feel like a big catalogue of cool stuff you can buy with your recommended 5¥ payouts. It unfortunately doesn't actually work. 

(Or if you want to be obsessively crunchy, specific, and branded all of the bloody time with no wiggle room for creativity, Shadowrun - and I know, deep down, that's exactly what you want - just give me the drone's hugging weight in kg so I don't have to guess. = / )

Oh, sorry, did I make that sound too kind? That's my solution as well. X ] Check out Pathfinder character generation sometime; I'd use that as a starting point. Get a statblock, choose your class, choose your archetype within that class, and assemble your list of features and qualities, most of which are class or archetype specific, as well as a general game wildcard or two, working like Pathfinder Feats or Wanderlust Features and Traits. Choose a small list of skills, which will all be of the same base rank unless your class has a specialty in them that increases your return in selecting them now. Choose gear, some of which will be exclusive to your class, obligatory for your class, or included free with your class, and some of which will come in kits. 

In other words, your archetype is a flexible player character that the game designers balance against all the other ones, and your character is an instance of that archetype that you customize via step-by-step wizard.

Obviously, replace the progression system to suit.

Edit: The priorities system is also just a disguised element of the hidden class system. There's only one right choice for A and B priorities for any class. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 29 September 2019 - 01:51 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#38 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Candies Please!

• Supporter
  • 63425 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:24 AM

the character creation system for Shadowrun, is why I'm not playing Shadowrun...

<_< poor Shadowrun Destron, died before she even got to be...  

#39 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52006 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

I don't know how it's even intended to work for new players. You need to have played several runs with at least a couple of different characters before the choices you make in character creation can possibly have any meaning to you. I guess if your GM isn't the kind who will walk you through building a character, you'd just copy a build guide somewhere? Meanwhile, our GM loves to help new players build characters but doesn't actually understand much of the system that isn't the kinds of types she plays, so that help is of somewhat mixed merit.

Noticing I'm a bit confused by this bit, Dekafox:

I actually think the whole priority system is an interesting idea, just a bit limiting at times for certain concepts that need large investments in multiple things at the same time. Most systems either go with RNG, or point build. Sum-to-ten seems to be a good middle ground, after trying it out for the 5e build. I've not tried the life-path method in a Shadowrun context, but I did use it for a short-lived Mechwarrior game a long while back. $E's default used karma in a point-build fashion, I believe.  Not sure if that ever made it over to 5e though.

The priorities system doesn't replace point building. It just gives you the points that you're going to use to do the building in the various flavors they come, whether that's attributes, skills, or gear. In your basic D&D-derived systems, you have an attribute block that's provided by RNG or built by points, and then what you get to spend on skills and gear are determined by your attributes and class. You're still building with "karma" points in 5E (the value of which is not exactly the same as the value of karma points earned later in play.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 29 September 2019 - 05:51 AM.

#40 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1999 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:50 PM

True point buy systems though always give the same amount of points to everyone. On top of that, the point buy systems I'm thinking of are more like GURPS or Champions, where you get one set point total and split it however you wish among everything. 4E Karma building worked the same way, with a flat pool of karma that you had to divide yourself among everything you wanted to buy, from what I recall.

RNG on the other hand gives random points to everyone, so you end up with differences where one character could have much higher stats than another, but not through either person's choice.

Priority is less flexible, but can make for more interesting decisions than pure point buy, and unlike RNG, low stats or skills is an actual choice made for something else. You could also consider the priority choices as the actual "hidden" classes, especially, like you mentioned, where some types of characters require certain priority allocations. It's a system you pretty much only see in the FASA-derived RPGs.

That aside, yeah, it seems like for someone who doesn't already know how to build a specific archetype it pretty much expects you to read through the entire book and familiarize yourself with what stats you need.   I messed around a bit with that street sam idea, and having never built one or actually played in a while, I didn't know or remember why people were spending so much on Intuition at first in the sample characters I looked at for ideas. If you're new, you pretty much have to read the sections of the book related to your character before you start making said character, as opposed to other systems where there's usually some sort of low-maintenance builds you can create just using common sense and the basics. And honestly, that really applies whether you use priority or karma bulding.  Not so much with Life paths, but with those I think it'd be easy to also unintentionally make a ineffective character, even if the character's story makes sense.

(Side note: I don't count Fnu's character as ineffective.  They sound like a very effective Face, so just need to work on ways to contribute when not Face-ing. It can feel that way though I suppose if the GM doesn't give much opportunities to do Face-type stuff.)

I know there are a bunch of conversions out there for various generic systems for Shadowrun.  The Genesys one is one I've heard mentioned a few times, though that one looks like it needs special dice?  There's a bunch more mentioned here: https://forums.shado...p?topic=21617.0 though I don't know what ones would be good, or even up to date with the 2070s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users