Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (06 November 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I recently attended a talk on Samhain and its associated mythology by a professor from Limerick.

@  Otaku : (06 November 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Trunk or Treats have become more popular because it is supposed to be safer, and even if it isn't, it just tends to be easier for the Trick-or-Treaters.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 November 2019 - 11:00 AM)

That's okay: between ever more extreme weather, ever more violent society, and general paranoia of parents: halloweens not doing to well out here either.

@  Anonymous X : (06 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

We used to have Bonfire Night here in the UK as our thing instead of Halloween... It's withered away for the most part. Halloween used to be the strange American tradition you knew of from ET or various cartoons

Photo
- - - - -

I apologise for starting a Bakugan thread.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

Like, I am presuming that they Aren't Cool.

But there's precedent for discussing them, okay. Well at least a little.

Bakugan is back! Picked up this guy just to see what the new stuff is like and I'm digging it. This guy's tail is beefy with super-strong springs, so he does a flip as he opens and lands in this crouching pose. The rectangular metal-lined arena cards have been turned into little hexagonal cards, and instead of getting your figures to stop on top of the cards your goal is to grab them in passing, and your figure flips over the card and reveals its bonus. This Garganoid winds up with the card on the end of its tail.

As for backward-compatibility, the new engineering makes them work poorly with the older metal "gate cards" because they get in the way of flipping over. They don't "stand" by the definition of the old rules. Also, since the new ones don't have attribute symbols, technically by the old rules they can't get anything from the old cards anyway. There seems to also be a full TCG aspect of it now that I haven't checked out. It looks like there's a game with just rolling the figures for a quick game or TCG rules for a longer game?

Update, only the "Ultra" Bakugan do the auto-flip, the regular ones just open like classic Bakugan. And I just noticed for some odd reason the entire Subterra attribute has been removed.
attachicon.gifgarganoid.jpg

attachicon.gifbakuultra.jpgattachicon.gifbakuultcores.jpgattachicon.gifbakubasic.jpgattachicon.gifbakuhide.jpg

These little guys had never been a thing I was really aware of, but my son got some recently and I was shocked by how amazing the better ones are.

Some of them are rubbish, but some of them pack surprisingly fun little transformations inside their spring-loaded spheres. At their best (which seems to mean "a few of the Ultra-class ones"), they're a hell of a lot better than any Transformer I've ever seen that tried to turn into a tiny ball - they're certainly far more impressive than the RID15 minicons or your average Botbot.

PwBYb4z.jpg

The "game" you can "play" with them seems like pointless rubbish, and I assume the various anime series are too. But I was really astounded by how great the best of these are. (NOTE: not all bangerganks pictured can be classified as "best")

Admittedly, "can't transform them without a magnet" is a fairly serious limitation.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2277 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

I have a ton of the older ones that I've picked up at yard sales/flea markets over the years. 

I've had some trouble identifying them as I haven't really found a good ID site for them.  Plenty of sites that cover them, but nothing like a checklist or ID guide.

I noticed that they have these new ones at Walmart and they do seem to be a bit more complex than the older ones.

That spider you picture above is pretty awesome, actually.

MIKE

engledogg

#3 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

nom nom nom

• Supporter
  • 13885 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

TMM and I have a few of those from the first run. I think an eyeball one is still on our fridge. The praying mantis and spider are really cool.

#4 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6695 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Yeah that mantis and spider are pretty rad.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#5 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1917 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

I was absolutely obsessed with Bakugan during the original run, and I have a lot of my original ones. I watched all the anime, and I even played all the games (I still have the second way-less-popular PSP one somewhere).

When the hype was building up around the reboot, I was similarly obsessed. Then I burned out really badly. I think, mainly, this was due to the new anime. It is... very taxing to sit through, and I forced myself through about 18 episodes. I do like some of the new designs (they're bigger because I think Takara and Spin Master don't have the rights to whatever the original smaller mechanism was, that belongs to SEGA).

I also like that because Subterra wasn't really as popular as any of the other attributes in the first series, they rebranded it the shiny gold Aurelus. They even kept it from the first couple of lines and have only started releasing it in the third wave.

In terms of the new designs, I quite like Pegatrix and Gorthion. I didn't like Trox when I saw him, but watching the anime endeared me to him. Similarly, selling Cubbo as The Saviour of Toyhood really made him endearing (that card where he's dabbing is hilarious). The bigger Ultra balls seem excessive, but they seem to be making it work in that people are buying them. The new card game seems really fun, and I would have liked to get some of the cards, but I'm still kind of iffy on getting back into it.

Edited by fourteenwings, 21 September 2019 - 12:37 PM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#6 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

I've had some trouble identifying them as I haven't really found a good ID site for them.  Plenty of sites that cover them, but nothing like a checklist or ID guide.

MIKE

engledogg

Would something like this work?

https://bakugan.wiki...ugan_Identifier

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 21 September 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

The spider was the first one my son got, and I was just like... that's a bloody great little robot spider. Then I threw it into the fire after discovering how insanely difficult it is to get all the legs in place simultaneously for re-ballification. The mantis also is superb but with a much more graceful and charismatic transformation.

Haven't handled Trox but did walk past one and it was the first dude that made me think holy cow - try to beat that, Hasbro! Because the Ultra version looks crazy great for something that pops out of a tiny Cybertron.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#8 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

Oh yeah, Bakugan exists. 

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#9 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:47 PM

Apparently!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#10 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6821 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

Oh yeah, Ultra Trox is a brilliant little T-rex ball. Also agreeing that the spider is a pain in the butt to close up. I'd like to get into the more complex version of the card game, but alas I pretty much have zero IRL friends.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#11 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2277 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:36 PM

MIKE

engledogg

Would something like this work?

https://bakugan.wiki...ugan_Identifier

Yep, that helps a bit with the base names (thanks!), but I'm not quite sure how to progress beyond that.

For example, I have a "Delta Dragonoid", but it's black and purple.  So, I'm assuming that's the "Darkus" version...I think?

It would be nice if they had year of release, as I try to keep track of these types of details.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 21 September 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#12 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 6821 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

For example, I have a "Delta Dragonoid", but it's black and purple.  So, I'm assuming that's the "Darkus" version...I think?

Pretty much, yep. The old ones also have faction symbols on them, because there were a lot of special decos that don't match their faction (or "affinity") colors.

In need of Movie Arcee's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#13 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

I think any of the toys can come as any of the 6 "factions".

And you *might* be able to use the release dates of the corresponding anime to get a rough idea of when the toys came out.  Not perfect or exact, but it'd give you some idea, anyway.  There seems to be a lot more coverage of the anime than the toy line, at least on English-sites.

And I did like the original anime when it came out.  Nothing special, mind.  Not even as good as stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh or even the first season of Cardfight Vanguard, but enjoyable enough.  The new show is...trying a little too hard to be hip, I think.  The first episode DOES have a pretty funny moment, though...

Spoiler

Here's another fansite:

http://www.bakuganbuzz.com/

It doesn't have the best layout, but it does seem have a little more detail on some of the Bakugan toys, like Delta Dragonoid

http://www.bakuganbu...ta-dragonoid-2/

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 22 September 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#14 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5398 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

Nobody's perfect.

#15 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2277 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

I really had no idea that there were so many of these things, lol.

I have some that are smaller than the standard size guys, and some that are much larger.

I've figured out that the big ones are called "Deka" figures, but I'm not sure what the small ones are called. Admittedly, I haven't yet looked at all the pages linked to all that closely, so maybe I just haven't read that info yet.

I also have a few that have keychains attached to them, and some simplistic ones that are likely Happy Meal toys.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 23 September 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:53 AM

Pretty sure they got me.

lDE1WL8l.jpg

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users