Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (16 July 2020 - 09:43 AM)

Circuit-breaker '84, this is Megatron's rubber duck. We've got ourselves a Rodimus Convoy. Do you copy? Over.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 07:06 AM)

I'm not going to sit here and bicker with you. I've made my point very clear and have nothing more to say on the issue.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 07:00 AM)

I can't do anything to prevent hurricanes either but it'd be absurd to suggest I therefore shouldn't talk about them.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:57 AM)

Basically neither you nor I even like South Park anyways so the best you can do is leave it alone rather than suggest it is corrupting hearts and minds.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

In that case I'm... not sure what the point is?

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:53 AM)

Nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. You can't prevent people from doing it. It's an artistic work with fans. I don't think I'm off-track.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:51 AM)

As far as I can tell you just of course'd the thing you were poopooing...

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

Also, this is starting to get a bit too serious for the shoutbox (though it already was)

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

"It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing." Of course, that's South Park's "artistic" style. It's what South Park's audience wants, and that's okay.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:47 AM)

You can probably finish the sentence "I got 50% of my sense of humor from" with the name of some fictional work.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

And it still wouldn't be S.W.A.T.'ss or Grey's Anatomy's or South Park's fault.

@  ▲ndrusi : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

The idea isn't that people are taking South Park's in-universe parody moral lessons seriously (though as Nevermore points out, you can't safely assume that isn't also happening). It's that they're internalizing the overall attitude that the writers display through the show's writing.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:45 AM)

"People say" those people are right, and you should listen to them. We can't protect people from themselves, but you can advise them well.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:27 AM)

So many medical disasters because someone took what they saw on a hospital show at face value.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:25 AM)

So many people who think police and court procedure works like it does in Hollywood, and act accordingly. Sometimes to their own disadvantage, sometimes just to the frustration of well-meaning authorities.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2020 - 06:24 AM)

People say "you shouldn't take your morals from a TV show" all the time, but regardless of how these people want things to work doesn't mean other people aren't doing it anyways.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:01 AM)

And I mean, if you're looking for a 1950s conservative position on something, it's certainly that a TV show is rotting children's minds.

@  fourteenwings : (16 July 2020 - 06:00 AM)

Conservatives are not hiding under the bed waiting to ruin... uh... Family Guy of all things? And like, nobody should be taking their morals from South Park. Expecting such things is impractical.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

It was just the cartoon with those foul mouthed kids in the UK until that bubble burst after the movie. Reviewers joked the movies target audience would be unable to see it for the rating.

@  Paladin : (15 July 2020 - 05:14 PM)

see also: "South Park." the show that poisoned a generation by teaching them "it's stupid to feel for other people."

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:04 AM)

'Take that! People who care about things!'

@  Rycochet : (15 July 2020 - 11:02 AM)

With Brian, he stopped being the voice of reason and started to be the right wing notion of a liberal, someone who's lazy, pretentious, doesn't work at anything, is every bit as abusive as the rest of the cast and only wins arguments with strawmen.

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

Of course, I stopped enjoying Family Guy around that time, so my bias is clear. XP

@  Otaku : (15 July 2020 - 10:54 AM)

Is it because they changed or we changed?  Stuff that was charming, or at least, funny at first can get really annoying the longer you know a person... and I find that can go for fictional characters as well.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

familyguyjar.png

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:45 AM)

One example is Family Guy where around season 8 Brian is suddenly reviled by everyone and has acted way out of character since.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 July 2020 - 03:44 AM)

My least favorite thing in fiction is when it changes hands so you get a author, writer or showrunner who hates a character or messes with a arc/layout.

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

Photo
- - - - -

I apologise for starting a Bakugan thread.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

Like, I am presuming that they Aren't Cool.

But there's precedent for discussing them, okay. Well at least a little.

Bakugan is back! Picked up this guy just to see what the new stuff is like and I'm digging it. This guy's tail is beefy with super-strong springs, so he does a flip as he opens and lands in this crouching pose. The rectangular metal-lined arena cards have been turned into little hexagonal cards, and instead of getting your figures to stop on top of the cards your goal is to grab them in passing, and your figure flips over the card and reveals its bonus. This Garganoid winds up with the card on the end of its tail.

As for backward-compatibility, the new engineering makes them work poorly with the older metal "gate cards" because they get in the way of flipping over. They don't "stand" by the definition of the old rules. Also, since the new ones don't have attribute symbols, technically by the old rules they can't get anything from the old cards anyway. There seems to also be a full TCG aspect of it now that I haven't checked out. It looks like there's a game with just rolling the figures for a quick game or TCG rules for a longer game?

Update, only the "Ultra" Bakugan do the auto-flip, the regular ones just open like classic Bakugan. And I just noticed for some odd reason the entire Subterra attribute has been removed.
attachicon.gifgarganoid.jpg

attachicon.gifbakuultra.jpgattachicon.gifbakuultcores.jpgattachicon.gifbakubasic.jpgattachicon.gifbakuhide.jpg

These little guys had never been a thing I was really aware of, but my son got some recently and I was shocked by how amazing the better ones are.

Some of them are rubbish, but some of them pack surprisingly fun little transformations inside their spring-loaded spheres. At their best (which seems to mean "a few of the Ultra-class ones"), they're a hell of a lot better than any Transformer I've ever seen that tried to turn into a tiny ball - they're certainly far more impressive than the RID15 minicons or your average Botbot.

PwBYb4z.jpg

The "game" you can "play" with them seems like pointless rubbish, and I assume the various anime series are too. But I was really astounded by how great the best of these are. (NOTE: not all bangerganks pictured can be classified as "best")

Admittedly, "can't transform them without a magnet" is a fairly serious limitation.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2298 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

I have a ton of the older ones that I've picked up at yard sales/flea markets over the years. 

I've had some trouble identifying them as I haven't really found a good ID site for them.  Plenty of sites that cover them, but nothing like a checklist or ID guide.

I noticed that they have these new ones at Walmart and they do seem to be a bit more complex than the older ones.

That spider you picture above is pretty awesome, actually.

MIKE

engledogg

#3 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14714 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

TMM and I have a few of those from the first run. I think an eyeball one is still on our fridge. The praying mantis and spider are really cool.

#4 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6838 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Yeah that mantis and spider are pretty rad.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#5 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 2274 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

I was absolutely obsessed with Bakugan during the original run, and I have a lot of my original ones. I watched all the anime, and I even played all the games (I still have the second way-less-popular PSP one somewhere).

When the hype was building up around the reboot, I was similarly obsessed. Then I burned out really badly. I think, mainly, this was due to the new anime. It is... very taxing to sit through, and I forced myself through about 18 episodes. I do like some of the new designs (they're bigger because I think Takara and Spin Master don't have the rights to whatever the original smaller mechanism was, that belongs to SEGA).

I also like that because Subterra wasn't really as popular as any of the other attributes in the first series, they rebranded it the shiny gold Aurelus. They even kept it from the first couple of lines and have only started releasing it in the third wave.

In terms of the new designs, I quite like Pegatrix and Gorthion. I didn't like Trox when I saw him, but watching the anime endeared me to him. Similarly, selling Cubbo as The Saviour of Toyhood really made him endearing (that card where he's dabbing is hilarious). The bigger Ultra balls seem excessive, but they seem to be making it work in that people are buying them. The new card game seems really fun, and I would have liked to get some of the cards, but I'm still kind of iffy on getting back into it.

Edited by fourteenwings, 21 September 2019 - 12:37 PM.

There is love everywhere, I already know

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#6 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

I've had some trouble identifying them as I haven't really found a good ID site for them.  Plenty of sites that cover them, but nothing like a checklist or ID guide.

MIKE

engledogg

Would something like this work?

https://bakugan.wiki...ugan_Identifier

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 21 September 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

The spider was the first one my son got, and I was just like... that's a bloody great little robot spider. Then I threw it into the fire after discovering how insanely difficult it is to get all the legs in place simultaneously for re-ballification. The mantis also is superb but with a much more graceful and charismatic transformation.

Haven't handled Trox but did walk past one and it was the first dude that made me think holy cow - try to beat that, Hasbro! Because the Ultra version looks crazy great for something that pops out of a tiny Cybertron.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#8 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

Oh yeah, Bakugan exists. 

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#9 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:47 PM

Apparently!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#10 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

In whatever heinous realm that it squats...

• Citizen
  • 7033 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

Oh yeah, Ultra Trox is a brilliant little T-rex ball. Also agreeing that the spider is a pain in the butt to close up. I'd like to get into the more complex version of the card game, but alas I pretty much have zero IRL friends.

In need of BW Bonecrusher's missile, PM me if you have a spare.

#11 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2298 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:36 PM

MIKE

engledogg

Would something like this work?

https://bakugan.wiki...ugan_Identifier

Yep, that helps a bit with the base names (thanks!), but I'm not quite sure how to progress beyond that.

For example, I have a "Delta Dragonoid", but it's black and purple.  So, I'm assuming that's the "Darkus" version...I think?

It would be nice if they had year of release, as I try to keep track of these types of details.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 21 September 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#12 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

• Citizen
  • 7033 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:02 PM

For example, I have a "Delta Dragonoid", but it's black and purple.  So, I'm assuming that's the "Darkus" version...I think?

Pretty much, yep. The old ones also have faction symbols on them, because there were a lot of special decos that don't match their faction (or "affinity") colors.

#13 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

I think any of the toys can come as any of the 6 "factions".

And you *might* be able to use the release dates of the corresponding anime to get a rough idea of when the toys came out.  Not perfect or exact, but it'd give you some idea, anyway.  There seems to be a lot more coverage of the anime than the toy line, at least on English-sites.

And I did like the original anime when it came out.  Nothing special, mind.  Not even as good as stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh or even the first season of Cardfight Vanguard, but enjoyable enough.  The new show is...trying a little too hard to be hip, I think.  The first episode DOES have a pretty funny moment, though...

Spoiler

Here's another fansite:

http://www.bakuganbuzz.com/

It doesn't have the best layout, but it does seem have a little more detail on some of the Bakugan toys, like Delta Dragonoid

http://www.bakuganbu...ta-dragonoid-2/

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 22 September 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#14 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

Nobody's perfect.

#15 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 2298 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

I really had no idea that there were so many of these things, lol.

I have some that are smaller than the standard size guys, and some that are much larger.

I've figured out that the big ones are called "Deka" figures, but I'm not sure what the small ones are called. Admittedly, I haven't yet looked at all the pages linked to all that closely, so maybe I just haven't read that info yet.

I also have a few that have keychains attached to them, and some simplistic ones that are likely Happy Meal toys.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 23 September 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#16 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:53 AM

Pretty sure they got me.

lDE1WL8l.jpg

WsuGTl1.jpg

#17 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

• Citizen
  • 7033 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Just found a Diamond Nillious. Should I open, sell, or save?

#18 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:52 AM

I'm not usually a "buy stuff and then screw people on eBay" kind of guy but the fandom is so crazy for Diamonds, and they're so ugly, that I support selling them at ludicrous prices.

Or semi-ludicrous prices. I mean let's be civilised.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#19 PlutoniumBoss

PlutoniumBoss

• Citizen
  • 7033 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

And it's not as if the basic Nillious mold is otherwise hard to come by. On the other hand, this may be the only diamond I come across.

Edited by PlutoniumBoss, 14 November 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#20 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7639 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:41 PM

Very true. A lot of people can never find one. Shiny Pokemon!

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users