Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (29 September 2020 - 01:35 AM)

Ever notice Kath SOucie's Janine in the later episodes of Real Ghostbusters sounds like Tara Strong's Sari Sumdac?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:10 PM)

I wish they were more universal like Beast Wars, Animated or Prime and as professionally done,

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 September 2020 - 02:06 PM)

The Netflix shows are done for adults, the Generation toyline is for adults who grew up with G1.

@  Sabrblade : (28 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Who said it ever was?

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Whatever happened to WFC Earthrise being a kids show X'D

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 11:43 AM)

Cool, my last tablet couldn't run it, and I stopped caring by the time I got the new one. So thanks!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:27 AM)

There are crossover characters, but the amount and distribution... Marvel Vs Capcom this ain't.  If @wonko the sane? my bad!

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:21 AM)

I've been playing for *checks account* 1002 days, 23 hours.  So, by 2021, it will have been three years.  I think it takes place in its own continuity, largely inspired by G1 but borrowing from other places.

@  Otaku : (28 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

@wonko the sane? Can only speak for Earth Wars, but so few they're easy to forget.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 September 2020 - 07:39 AM)

Didn't they already do the across universes thing in that tablet game?

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:30 AM)

Also, make the setting an amalgamation of different Transformers series, rather than based on a specific one. Bring in things like 'Sentinel Major' as the primo Autobot jerk, and sleek car mode Vehicons as the Decepticons' basic grunt.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:27 AM)

KT just needs to incorporate the vehicle modes into the combat system, like Platinum did for Devastation, so they're for more than just wheeling it across the battlefield. =P

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 05:25 AM)

Transformers: Warriors of Cybertron! =D

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (28 September 2020 - 05:15 AM)

I want a Power Rangers Mosu. I would also take a Transformers Mosu. :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 September 2020 - 04:50 AM)

It even ended on a sequel hook.

@  Demovere Xeno : (28 September 2020 - 04:40 AM)

Man, I just want another Devastation game... =(

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 September 2020 - 01:53 AM)

Aren't TFs way more varied than Joes, as far as they'd work in gameplay? Like, Omega Supreme is vastly different from Bumblebee.

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

Hell, ripoff Super Robot Wars withTFs

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 10:16 PM)

IDK they could make something like FF tactics or Fire Emblem ripoff with Robots and i'd buy it

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 09:43 PM)

See, I feel GI Joe (with it's varied cast) is a better fit for a strategy game, where as Transformers feels more suited for a shooter.

@  Maruten : (27 September 2020 - 08:28 PM)

I might give them points for making a strategy game if it's actually a good strategy game.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:48 PM)

I mean, points for making a strategy game instead of third person shooter, but: urrrrgggg. Cyberverse.

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 07:47 PM)

A transformers game for the switch? *checks* Urrrggg... cyberverse...

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM)

October will be a big month for Hasbro fans: Zoids, GI Joe AND Transformers all have brand new console games. All on the Switch at that!

@  wonko the sane? : (27 September 2020 - 09:04 AM)

At least in animated he was more driven than just "loyal bootlick".

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2020 - 08:29 AM)

Oof, That's a huge downgrade

@  Maximus Ambus : (27 September 2020 - 02:35 AM)

After rewatching Animated Sound and Fury, in my head canon Titans Return Soundwave is that Soundwave.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:09 PM)

On an unrelated note: I just got the BBTS email about kingdom pre-orders... and even the stuff I don't want I'm perfectly willing to get if it means I can have the rest of it.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 September 2020 - 04:08 PM)

It's digimon. So first one, then the other.

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

50/50 odds, it's either a helicopter with limbs, or a scantily-clad human with heli blades on their back. If female, 90% odds on the second one.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 September 2020 - 12:39 PM)

I read that as "Helicoptermon" and wondered what kind of Digimon that was.

@  Bass X0 : (26 September 2020 - 12:35 PM)

Helicopter-mom, transform!

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

Photo
- - - - -

Discworld-The Watch

41 replies to this topic

#1 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 521 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

BBC America has released a press release, listing the main cast.

The eight-part comedy-drama,that gleefully rips up the genre rulebook, follows several of Terry Pratchett’s best-loved creations on a riotous and emotional odyssey. Richard Dormer will star as Sam Vimes, Captain of The Watch, disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing. Jo Eaton-Kent will play the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Constable Cheery, ostracised by their kin and finding a new home and identity within The Watch. Adam Hugill will play Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth. Marama Corlett will play the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive. Lara Rossi will play the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism. Sam Adewunmi will play the wounded, wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.

I find half of this kind of questionable. I guess we'll have to wait for it to come out.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#2 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14738 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

Honestly, i agree here. This sounds like a weird, mashup of bits and pieces of Terry Pratchetts City Watch stories, while also trying to be some kind of social commentary, i think. I can't say i'm enthused by this.

Making Cheery non-binary, rather than a Dwarf woman trying to express herself is? Making Sybil a... social activist?

And no mention of Nobby Nobbs and Colon. No mention of Detritus or Vetinari.

fslookup.jpg

#3 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18180 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

Pretty much all of Terry Pratchett's books are absolutely social commentary. That's not all they are. They're also beautifully written and conceived, fun and funny but they are all that and very strong Social Commentary. Nothing wrong or off target about that at all.

That doesn't mean this is gonna be on-target to the characters and as well written as his stuff was of course, but the presence of Social Commentary as a part of it absolutely will not be what misses the mark on being good Pratchett if it does.

-ZacWilliam, can't imagine Pratchett without Social Commentary honestly, expressed with humor and cleverness it's kinda the core of what his writing is.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#4 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14738 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

Expressed with humour and cleverness is my only concern here. Pratchetts sharp, satirical writing is what made his imaginative Discworld great.

fslookup.jpg

#5 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

We'll see how this goes. Worst case, it's gonna be garbage and cancelled after a season. Best case, it's either a faithful adaptation and update to Pratchet's concepts or its own, worthwhile thing. Let's not forget, his work is an iteration of and play on fantasy tropes that had been put out by other writers. Can't exactly be mad at other people iterating on that.

Either way, Discworld is easily gonna survive this.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#6 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4022 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

Isn't making Cheery nonbinary kind, of, like the exact opposite of Discworld canon, where traditionalist dwarfs are socially agender but all use male pronouns for cultural reasons?

#7 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, but "woman who is ostracized for being femme" is kind of a bad take in today's climate. 

j1GI7Gi.gif

#8 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9402 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

Can't wait for it! Hope Carrot lives up to his supposed lineage.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#9 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6351 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Murderous tyrants?
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#10 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14391 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Those sound like changes made just to make it easier to tell the story they want.  I'm okay with that, provided it's cleverly written and smartly acted.  

Pratchett has always used his books and Discworld to comment on our world and what's going on.  I absolutely expect this show to follow that and make strong points about what's going on in politics and the world today.  In fact, without that I think the show, no matter how well written, will be a failure. 

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9402 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Murderous tyrants?

What? No! Haha :) I'm a bit miffed that he was suppose to be the hero of the City Watch but Vines was too good a character and hijacked the spotlight from him.

Sybil Ramkin was always an activist. But for the preservation of the dragons, hehe

... I know the name Carcer Dun but I'm forgetting... Is he the one who travelled back in time and tried to mess up Ankh Morpork history?

If the series will be adapting the Nightwatch... then only Vines goes back to chase him. But I guess Sybil, Cheery, Angua and Carrot follow too, for a well rounded cast. That would explain why there's no Detritus, Nobbs, Colon since we'd see younger versions of some.

Personally, Feat of Clay is my favorite City Watch book. Dorfl's moment makes me tear up when I read it. Plus it's a Terminator parody. It'd be awesome.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#12 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3055 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

... I know the name Carcer Dun but I'm forgetting... Is he the one who travelled back in time and tried to mess up Ankh Morpork history?

Yep.

And the phrase "Wounded, wronged" raises all the alarm bells. Original flavor Carcer was a bastard, sure as sure. He tries to play the wronged man, but Vimes doesn't give him an inch there. Carcer is a flat out monster, the kind of man where you feel the sun shining just a little brighter after you hear that he was hanged. Making him a righteous avenger who goes too far ignores the whole point of the character.

And he isn't alone on that list. I mean, some of it may just be a bad press release, and some may actually work in practice, but there's a lot changed from that description, and it all sounds bad. Sybil in the original would never be a vigilante. Just not done, you know? She's more the barge in through the front door and start loudly ordering people around type, the kind of person who uses her place in the system to do good instead of the kind of person who feels the need to get outside of it. 

(Which is thematically important, as the whole keeping within the law bit is important to the Watch books, contrasting with Moist and Vetinari's fast and loose play.)

Even things that aren't necessarily bad, like Angua being more veteran than Carrot, put me on edge. Colon, Vimes, and Nobby being The Old Guard (with Carrot as the tipping point) is vital to their dynamic. Giving Vimes a competent right hand before Carrot shows up to drag everyone out of the gutter is a tricky thing to balance. (In addition, Angua arriving later makes it much easier for her and Vimes to feel distinct. If the old guard has two decent-but-cynical veteran officers who need to relearn idealism from Carrot at the same time... again, tricky.)

Moving on to broader strokes though, and leaving aside casting for the moment (Skinny Sybil. Just... skinny Sybil.) people talking about how Pratchett's stuff was political are kind of right and wrong at once, and ignoring the trick there would mean the show going very wrong. See, a cool bit in the Discworld stuff was that Pratchett didn't do real world issues, at least not when he was on his A game. He did similar-but-distinct issues, allowing people to set aside their normal prejudices and allowing him to get into the nitty gritty instead of just saying that thing X is bad repeatedly. For an easy example, Vimes can be racist against Vampires and still be sympathetic in a way that he wouldn't be if he was racist against a real world ethnic group. It generally felt like Pratchett examining an idea rather than just lecturing the reader, even if he had clear opinions on things.

A lot of modern fiction (not naming names) feels like it's just trying to score points by showing how On The Right Side they are, which makes for bad stories.

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9402 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:39 AM

That was well put. Oh yeah, I forgot that Angua will be more experienced than Carrot, weird.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#14 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14738 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

That explains far more effectively and better clarity, the misgivings i have with how this series might tackle the way Pratchett tackled things and how it could miss the mark.

One of the greatest things about Pratchetts writing was, as chiasaur said, how he could grapple with and show you the hard realities of tough subjects, without preaching. His brought those tough subjects up in his world, in ways that applied to his world, but never in a blunt way.

Anyway.

Skinny Sybil? Oh good grief. That misses one of the great parts of what makes Sybil great. She a powerful, uncompromising force of nature and has faced down a giant Dragon! She is no vigilante.

Carcer as wronged man is definitely missing the point. He is, as Pratchett wrote in Night Watch, a man who can stood in the middle of the bodies, covered in blood, knife in hand and go "Me, what did i do?". He is not a righteous man, nor should he ever be.

fslookup.jpg

#15 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

More news 

Anna Chancellor (Pennyworth, Trust) is set to star as Lord Vetinari, The Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, and architect of the city’s normalized wrongness and ramshackle system of governance. James Fleet (Outlander, The Vicar of Dibley) stars as The Archchancellor, wizard, magical advisor, and the Head of the Unseen University. Ingrid Oliver (Defending the Guilty, Doctor Who) stars as the Head of The Assassins’ Guild, Doctor Cruces. Ruth Madeley (The Rook, Years and Years) stars as the wiry Throat, the city’s best snitch, with a gang of freelance henchmen at her beck and call. Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Deep State, Dynasty) stars as Captain John Keel, former leader of The Watch and mentor to Sam Vimes, determined to save the corrupt and chaotic city. Bianca Simone Mannie (Homeland, Saints & Strangers) stars as the cunning Wonse, a wizard hopeful in waiting that is frequently underestimated.

Okay so Vetinari's a woman. Well lets see how this goes. 

John Keel's seemingly still alive at this point? 

Wonse, okay that's Lupin Wonse the guy from Guards! Guards! right? But now their a wizard rather than secretary?

EDIT: Oh damn it, Throat's their version of CMOT Dibbler. Really shouldhave just made that an original character.

Well this was not terribly confidence inspiring.

Edited by Trpodeca, 19 November 2019 - 04:33 PM.

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9402 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Female Vetinari? No. NooooOOOOooooo.

Female Throat doesn't read like CMOT Dibbler, like, where's the entrepreneur angle?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#17 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18180 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

I have zero problem with any of this casting if the writing is good and feels like Discworld.

-ZacWilliam, being as good AS Discworld is a hell of a lot to ask, I'd settle for just plain old good.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 19 November 2019 - 07:05 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#18 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:53 PM

They've released the first promotional  images.

tumblr_a0b38432ae94900d9811c6b73e30885f_

Vimes and Agnua

TW_100_IK_0930_5753-RT.jpg

Agnua and Carrot

TW_100_IK_1011_1875-RT.jpg

Agnua and Cheery

TW_100_IK_1023_4423-RT.jpg

Carcer and his goons.

TW_100_IK_1018_3967-RT.jpg

So the last one appears to be Sybill having set someone on fire, and knocked them into a pit. Okay.

#19 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3385 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

I really don't like the costume choices. It really doesn't have that Middle Ages feel to it.

#20 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

I realize that Ankh-Morpork is a mishmash of various eras from Middle Ages to Victorian, but the whole style seems to modern.

In the books the Watch had armour as part of  their uniform, but now they wear jeans and jackets.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users