Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2019 - 04:14 PM)

Why has there been no new Minerva toys? I’m surprised at Takara. The Titan Master head doesn’t count.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

Photo
- - - - -

Discworld-The Watch

16 replies to this topic

#1 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 295 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

BBC America has released a press release, listing the main cast.

The eight-part comedy-drama,that gleefully rips up the genre rulebook, follows several of Terry Pratchett’s best-loved creations on a riotous and emotional odyssey. Richard Dormer will star as Sam Vimes, Captain of The Watch, disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing. Jo Eaton-Kent will play the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Constable Cheery, ostracised by their kin and finding a new home and identity within The Watch. Adam Hugill will play Constable Carrot, the idealistic new recruit, raised by dwarfs, but really a human abandoned at birth. Marama Corlett will play the mysterious Corporal Angua who is tasked with Carrot’s training and keeping the rookie alive. Lara Rossi will play the formidable Lady Sybil Ramkin, last scion of Ankh-Morpork’s nobility who’s trying to fix the city’s wrongs with her chaotic vigilantism. Sam Adewunmi will play the wounded, wronged Carcer Dun, out to hijack destiny itself, take control of the city and exact a terrible revenge on an unjust reality.

I find half of this kind of questionable. I guess we'll have to wait for it to come out.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#2 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13649 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

Honestly, i agree here. This sounds like a weird, mashup of bits and pieces of Terry Pratchetts City Watch stories, while also trying to be some kind of social commentary, i think. I can't say i'm enthused by this.

Making Cheery non-binary, rather than a Dwarf woman trying to express herself is? Making Sybil a... social activist?

And no mention of Nobby Nobbs and Colon. No mention of Detritus or Vetinari.

fslookup.jpg

#3 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17346 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

Pretty much all of Terry Pratchett's books are absolutely social commentary. That's not all they are. They're also beautifully written and conceived, fun and funny but they are all that and very strong Social Commentary. Nothing wrong or off target about that at all.

That doesn't mean this is gonna be on-target to the characters and as well written as his stuff was of course, but the presence of Social Commentary as a part of it absolutely will not be what misses the mark on being good Pratchett if it does.

-ZacWilliam, can't imagine Pratchett without Social Commentary honestly, expressed with humor and cleverness it's kinda the core of what his writing is.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#4 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13649 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

Expressed with humour and cleverness is my only concern here. Pratchetts sharp, satirical writing is what made his imaginative Discworld great.

fslookup.jpg

#5 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6125 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

We'll see how this goes. Worst case, it's gonna be garbage and cancelled after a season. Best case, it's either a faithful adaptation and update to Pratchet's concepts or its own, worthwhile thing. Let's not forget, his work is an iteration of and play on fantasy tropes that had been put out by other writers. Can't exactly be mad at other people iterating on that.

Either way, Discworld is easily gonna survive this.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#6 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 3990 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

Isn't making Cheery nonbinary kind, of, like the exact opposite of Discworld canon, where traditionalist dwarfs are socially agender but all use male pronouns for cultural reasons?

#7 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6125 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, but "woman who is ostracized for being femme" is kind of a bad take in today's climate. 

j1GI7Gi.gif

#8 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8696 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

Can't wait for it! Hope Carrot lives up to his supposed lineage.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#9 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6212 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Murderous tyrants?
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#10 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14172 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

Those sound like changes made just to make it easier to tell the story they want.  I'm okay with that, provided it's cleverly written and smartly acted.  

Pratchett has always used his books and Discworld to comment on our world and what's going on.  I absolutely expect this show to follow that and make strong points about what's going on in politics and the world today.  In fact, without that I think the show, no matter how well written, will be a failure. 

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8696 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Murderous tyrants?

What? No! Haha :) I'm a bit miffed that he was suppose to be the hero of the City Watch but Vines was too good a character and hijacked the spotlight from him.

Sybil Ramkin was always an activist. But for the preservation of the dragons, hehe

... I know the name Carcer Dun but I'm forgetting... Is he the one who travelled back in time and tried to mess up Ankh Morpork history?

If the series will be adapting the Nightwatch... then only Vines goes back to chase him. But I guess Sybil, Cheery, Angua and Carrot follow too, for a well rounded cast. That would explain why there's no Detritus, Nobbs, Colon since we'd see younger versions of some.

Personally, Feat of Clay is my favorite City Watch book. Dorfl's moment makes me tear up when I read it. Plus it's a Terminator parody. It'd be awesome.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#12 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3051 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

... I know the name Carcer Dun but I'm forgetting... Is he the one who travelled back in time and tried to mess up Ankh Morpork history?

Yep.

And the phrase "Wounded, wronged" raises all the alarm bells. Original flavor Carcer was a bastard, sure as sure. He tries to play the wronged man, but Vimes doesn't give him an inch there. Carcer is a flat out monster, the kind of man where you feel the sun shining just a little brighter after you hear that he was hanged. Making him a righteous avenger who goes too far ignores the whole point of the character.

And he isn't alone on that list. I mean, some of it may just be a bad press release, and some may actually work in practice, but there's a lot changed from that description, and it all sounds bad. Sybil in the original would never be a vigilante. Just not done, you know? She's more the barge in through the front door and start loudly ordering people around type, the kind of person who uses her place in the system to do good instead of the kind of person who feels the need to get outside of it. 

(Which is thematically important, as the whole keeping within the law bit is important to the Watch books, contrasting with Moist and Vetinari's fast and loose play.)

Even things that aren't necessarily bad, like Angua being more veteran than Carrot, put me on edge. Colon, Vimes, and Nobby being The Old Guard (with Carrot as the tipping point) is vital to their dynamic. Giving Vimes a competent right hand before Carrot shows up to drag everyone out of the gutter is a tricky thing to balance. (In addition, Angua arriving later makes it much easier for her and Vimes to feel distinct. If the old guard has two decent-but-cynical veteran officers who need to relearn idealism from Carrot at the same time... again, tricky.)

Moving on to broader strokes though, and leaving aside casting for the moment (Skinny Sybil. Just... skinny Sybil.) people talking about how Pratchett's stuff was political are kind of right and wrong at once, and ignoring the trick there would mean the show going very wrong. See, a cool bit in the Discworld stuff was that Pratchett didn't do real world issues, at least not when he was on his A game. He did similar-but-distinct issues, allowing people to set aside their normal prejudices and allowing him to get into the nitty gritty instead of just saying that thing X is bad repeatedly. For an easy example, Vimes can be racist against Vampires and still be sympathetic in a way that he wouldn't be if he was racist against a real world ethnic group. It generally felt like Pratchett examining an idea rather than just lecturing the reader, even if he had clear opinions on things.

A lot of modern fiction (not naming names) feels like it's just trying to score points by showing how On The Right Side they are, which makes for bad stories.

#13 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8696 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:39 AM

That was well put. Oh yeah, I forgot that Angua will be more experienced than Carrot, weird.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#14 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13649 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

That explains far more effectively and better clarity, the misgivings i have with how this series might tackle the way Pratchett tackled things and how it could miss the mark.

One of the greatest things about Pratchetts writing was, as chiasaur said, how he could grapple with and show you the hard realities of tough subjects, without preaching. His brought those tough subjects up in his world, in ways that applied to his world, but never in a blunt way.

Anyway.

Skinny Sybil? Oh good grief. That misses one of the great parts of what makes Sybil great. She a powerful, uncompromising force of nature and has faced down a giant Dragon! She is no vigilante.

Carcer as wronged man is definitely missing the point. He is, as Pratchett wrote in Night Watch, a man who can stood in the middle of the bodies, covered in blood, knife in hand and go "Me, what did i do?". He is not a righteous man, nor should he ever be.

fslookup.jpg

#15 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 295 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM

More news 

Anna Chancellor (Pennyworth, Trust) is set to star as Lord Vetinari, The Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, and architect of the city’s normalized wrongness and ramshackle system of governance. James Fleet (Outlander, The Vicar of Dibley) stars as The Archchancellor, wizard, magical advisor, and the Head of the Unseen University. Ingrid Oliver (Defending the Guilty, Doctor Who) stars as the Head of The Assassins’ Guild, Doctor Cruces. Ruth Madeley (The Rook, Years and Years) stars as the wiry Throat, the city’s best snitch, with a gang of freelance henchmen at her beck and call. Hakeem Kae-Kazim (Deep State, Dynasty) stars as Captain John Keel, former leader of The Watch and mentor to Sam Vimes, determined to save the corrupt and chaotic city. Bianca Simone Mannie (Homeland, Saints & Strangers) stars as the cunning Wonse, a wizard hopeful in waiting that is frequently underestimated.

Okay so Vetinari's a woman. Well lets see how this goes. 

John Keel's seemingly still alive at this point? 

Wonse, okay that's Lupin Wonse the guy from Guards! Guards! right? But now their a wizard rather than secretary?

EDIT: Oh damn it, Throat's their version of CMOT Dibbler. Really shouldhave just made that an original character.

Well this was not terribly confidence inspiring.

Edited by Trpodeca, Yesterday, 04:33 PM.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8696 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Female Vetinari? No. NooooOOOOooooo.

Female Throat doesn't read like CMOT Dibbler, like, where's the entrepreneur angle?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#17 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17346 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

I have zero problem with any of this casting if the writing is good and feels like Discworld.

-ZacWilliam, being as good AS Discworld is a hell of a lot to ask, I'd settle for just plain old good.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, Yesterday, 07:05 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users