Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

Photo

Death Stranding: don't drop the sperm and eggs in the river

14 replies to this topic

#1 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

Do we not have a thread for this? 

I don't know how much I actually care (apart from anything else, I'm not sure how much of Reedus's hair I need in my life), but the game is a big deal whether I buy it or not and we've finally learned a bit more about it which is perhaps interesting.

https://www.kotaku.c...eath-stranding/

It’s as offbeat, meticulously detailed, and intriguing as you’d expect from Kojima, if not more so.

To be released November 8 for PlayStation 4, Death Stranding follows Sam Bridges (Norman Reedus) as he makes a coast-to-coast trek across the ruined United Cities of America, creating new “strands” that link divided human beings back together. With him is BB, or “Bridge Baby,” a little foetus in an artificial womb that, among other things, allows him to see BTs, or “Beached Things,” supernatural monsters from other dimensions that are rampaging in the UCA.

There’s a lot more to it than that, much of it likely involving Geoff Keighley, but that’s the backstory you need to know to get the most out of the presentation, which was over 45 minutes of live gameplay. Sam is given a simple mission: deliver four aid packages from Knot City to Port Knot City. The aid packages contain four supplies that are considered crucial in this world: food, medicine, anti-BT weapons, and “sperm and eggs.”

Before heading out on any mission, you’ll pick out your loadout. This will include all the required aid packages that you’re delivering, plus anything else you want to bring with you on the journey: extra shoes, ropes, weapons, etc. The difference between Sam Bridges and most video game heroes is that while everybody else just disappears all of their possessions into a magical pocket, Sam is visibly loaded up with his burdens. Everything he carries is visibly attached to his character, affecting his weight and mobility.

You can actually choose where on Sam’s body to put all this stuff. You can load it all up onto his back like a pack mule, but you can also put items in pouches hanging off the backpack, strap them to his arms and legs, or have him hand-carry certain pieces.

This will affect his speed, yes, but also his balance. Sam’s centre of gravity will be shown in a yellow circle underneath him as you shift things around. As you run through the world, if you make hard left or right turns, he’ll go off-kilter if he’s overburdened, and you’ll need to press the L2 and R2 buttons to shift his weight back so he stays upright.

The first obstacle Sam reaches in the video presentation is a river. Again, the HUD is here to give important information, showing the strength of the current in different spots. Blue is easily crossable, yellow is walkable with effort, and red will sweep you off your feet and send you down the river. Kojima walks into it for demonstration purposes, and shows how Sam is blown off course but also loses a package or two, which he has to pick up again.

It’s not long before Sam comes across another package to add to his burden, a lost piece of musical equipment belonging to a character called the Musician. Fortunately for us, the Musician’s house is just down a cliff and across a small ravine. Sam sticks a climbing anchor into the ground, then rappels down the cliff. He crosses the ravine with his helpful extendable ladder.

Later in the demo, Kojima points out that thanks to the game’s asynchronous multiplayer aspects, you might not even have to use your own ladder for this, since other players can leave their equipment in the world for others to use. He shows how there’s now a climbing rope and a ladder left by other players. You can “Like” these items. Social-media “Likes” seem to be the currency of this world, just as they are in ours.

It’s not all just about slowly walking while holding a bunch of FedEx boxes full of sperm and singing to a baby. When Sam encounters a group of enemies, things become very Metal Gear Solid all of a sudden. Briefly abandoning his precious cargo, Sam goes into stealth mode, sneaking around an enemy camp.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11201 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

I just have no desire to play this game, like 90 percent of Kojima games.

I'm not saying it won't be decent, or that people shouldn't like it, but I -really- think Kojima should get out of games and go into Movies like he wants to be.

#3 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1363 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

The gameplay is a big thing for him.  As much as he's famous for weird stories, his games play well and usually have deep gameplay.  He uses loads of cutscenes, sure, but he's clearly not interested in just plain making a movie.

Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#4 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7603 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:26 PM

Death Stranding certainly seems to have some interesting mechanics. Choose where to carry your gear? Topple over if you don't balance it well enough? I'm not fond of any encumbrance system but that sounds bloody dreadful! It's unique though, and does suggest that we're looking at a game with some meticulously planned gameplay elements. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#5 tec

tec

Yubi Yubi taker

• Supporter
  • 32597 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

I love Kojima games but this one is a hard pass the overuse of clebs takes away from the creativity he is known for and I really don't know or care for the clebs he picked as well

The story does not look interesting in the least as well as the gameplay so far

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#6 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

The gameplay is a big thing for him.  As much as he's famous for weird stories, his games play well and usually have deep gameplay.  He uses loads of cutscenes, sure, but he's clearly not interested in just plain making a movie.

People claim this, but my only exposure to Kojima - Metal Gear Solid 2 - a good chunk of it was literally Run Down A Hallway for a 30 Minute Cutscene Run Down Another Hallway for a 45 Minute Cutscene.

#7 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 35917 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

I'm never going to see this game mentioned anywhere and not immediately think "Norman Reedus and the Funky Fetus"

#8 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23155 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

I'm really, really hating this developing trend of inserting uncanny-valley replicas of real actors in video games. It's so uncreative, unnecessary, and distracting. I hated it in LA Noire, I hate it in this, and the Keanu reveal for Cyberpunk 2077 instantly killed my excitement for that game.

#9 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

Yeah but Kevin Spacey in a Call of Duty means we can all enjoy sawing off our own cybernetic arm and send him screaming into the abyss.

#10 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5585 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

So I've played and beat this game. Currently got 130 hours, and still working on the Platinum for it. Honestly this game is fun, and I'm still enjoying it. The story is odd, and the places it goes are actually really intriguing, and interesting. 

Honestly it's a not for everyone type of like it or hate game, however giving it a shot is really worth it.

I been going through and just finishing rebuilding all the roads in the game, and setting up Zip Lines so that I can get from Prepper to Prepper with little or no trouble, and it really does make the post game move much faster. 

The whole "Walking Simulator" reviews are only really true for the first 2 chapters, after that you get tools that help to maintain balance and control much easier. 

The combat in the game, and there is a good amount of it is really simple and enjoyable. Once you get to Terrorist in game the combat ramps up.

Honestly if you overlooked it, I would consider giving it another look.

#11 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47843 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

"Walking Simulator" tends to be thrown out a lot now-a-days, for any game that is more passive in its approach to gameplay and storytelling. Honestly if LA Noir had come out now-a-days, it'd be called a "Walking Simulator".

Edited by Rust, 10 February 2020 - 05:33 PM.

#12 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18685 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

I'm fascinated with it from a very 'abstract expressionist art piece' perspective... Though I'll wait for a sale before picking it up.

nzo8WYb.png

#13 RYNO

RYNO

Ready to Roll Out

• Citizen
  • 5585 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

So one of the trophies in this game is earn 20 Legend of Legends rank for each Standard Order Type.

This requires playing the game on Hard, as that rank is only given at that level. 

The hardest of the 4 types is the Timed Deliveries. I only had 8, and went back to the first area of the game and now have 17. So that was epic. Should be able to get the final three I need for the Trophy easy enough now. 

In case anyone is wondering there are a total of 500 Standard Orders in the game. There are already a few people out there in Reddit Land that have perfectly ranked all of them. Luckily thats not required for anything, but it is an interesting goal from a Completionist perspective.

#14 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1849 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

"Walking Simulator" tends to be thrown out a lot now-a-days, for any game that is more passive in its approach to gameplay and storytelling. Honestly if LA Noir had come out now-a-days, it'd be called a "Walking Simulator".

I don't think I'd ever heard the term "walking simulator" before last week, and now it's suddenly popping up everywhere I look. Where did this even come from anyway?

#15 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4904 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:19 PM

Originates from games like Amnesia and Slender, and evolved into stuff like "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture", where the gameplay is largely walking from one location to another with the game being largely about immersion and plot is derived from voice overs or environmental clues.  Where there really isn't much gameplay being walking and an action button.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users