Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

@  Cybersnark : (29 June 2020 - 09:47 AM)

I don't want to be reissued. This body sucks, I wanna be updated.

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 09:43 AM)

I definitely don't intend to be reissued. Nobody would buy me.

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM)

will anybody else attempt to be reissued?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 June 2020 - 07:51 AM)

*Gasp* Decepticons re-writing history to serve their own needs?!?!

@  Nevermore : (29 June 2020 - 05:48 AM)

The whole point of the DJD is that they're fanatical Megatron fanboys (especially Tarn) to the point of having their own headcanon taking priority of the actual canon, simply speaking.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 04:01 AM)

They didn't know the war was over until later. And then they denied it anyway.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 June 2020 - 10:47 PM)

"He's comin' right for us!"

@  Telly : (28 June 2020 - 08:40 PM)

was that even still in effect once the war ended?

@  TheMightyMol... : (28 June 2020 - 06:51 PM)

According to Roberts, soldiers can ignore the order to spare Whirl if he's directly threatening them. But mostly the DJD were out of their heads on Nuke and not really caring much at the time.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney Plus might just have justified itself

192 replies to this topic

#21 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12920 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

It will be brutal

It wasn't Disney+, per se (although I am getting it), but they're already winning the war against Netflix, as far as my own TV is concerned. Netflix is no longer the place I go to for bingeing TV anymore, as they've lost most of the good shows, and I really don't care too much about most of their original content. Couple that with their increasing prices, and it was a no-brainer. I added both Britbox and CBS All Access for less together than what Netflix was costing me alone.

Admittedly, Disney+ is a cost on top of that, so I AM paying more overall than I was before dropping Netflix, but having gotten a three-year deal that comes out to less than $5 a month, I'm not complaining.

Amazon Prime is another story. Right now, we ARE watching TV there more than we were on Netflix, but even if we weren't, the free shipping and other features on Amazon itself would tip the scales just a bit.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 12 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#22 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23741 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

There was clearly some care put into the casting of the shows, at least. Which makes it all the more odd that both dubs were never brought over by Disney, and the Disk Wars dub being buried after its one showing in Asia.

Wasn't Disk Wars like, heavily focused on its toyline gimmick? Maybe they couldn't figure an American release of the toyline in addition to all the other Avengers products coming out, and figured it wasn't worth it without the toyline. Especially since it wasn't part of their cartoon shared universe.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 September 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#23 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4904 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

There was clearly some care put into the casting of the shows, at least. Which makes it all the more odd that both dubs were never brought over by Disney, and the Disk Wars dub being buried after its one showing in Asia.

Wasn't Disk Wars like, heavily focused on its toyline gimmick? Maybe they couldn't figure an American release of the toyline in addition to all the other Avengers products coming out, and figured it wasn't worth it without the toyline. Especially since it wasn't part of their cartoon shared universe.

It was, but after, what, 5 years since its premiere, I think they could chuck it out.  After all, the original 90s shows aren't really a "shared universe" in the way they tried with the Disney XD shows (and even then...I'm not sure it's a priority with the launch of Disney+ and its inclusion of the "proper" MCU).

#24 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 2007 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

It will be brutal

It wasn't Disney+, per se (although I am getting it), but they're already winning the war against Netflix, as far as my own TV is concerned. Netflix is no longer the place I go to for bingeing TV anymore, as they've lost most of the good shows, and I really don't care too much about most of their original content. Couple that with their increasing prices, and it was a no-brainer. I added both Britbox and CBS All Access for less together than what Netflix was costing me alone.

Admittedly, Disney+ is a cost on top of that, so I AM paying more overall than I was before dropping Netflix, but having gotten a three-year deal that comes out to less than $5 a month, I'm not complaining.

Amazon Prime is another story. Right now, we ARE watching TV there more than we were on Netflix, but even if we weren't, the free shipping and other features on Amazon itself would tip the scales just a bit.

Disney owns Star wars, Marvel, Fox, and all of Disney's library.  When they launch, all of the above will most likely disappear from the other channels.  Not all at once, but they will disappear for sure.

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#25 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12920 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

It will be brutal

Disney owns Star wars, Marvel, Fox, and all of Disney's library.  When they launch, all of the above will most likely disappear from the other channels.  Not all at once, but they will disappear for sure.

It's already happening. This is known.

#26 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:26 PM

It was, but after, what, 5 years since its premiere, I think they could chuck it out.  After all, the original 90s shows aren't really a "shared universe" in the way they tried with the Disney XD shows (and even then...I'm not sure it's a priority with the launch of Disney+ and its inclusion of the "proper" MCU).

The toy tie-in with the disks themselves is kind of overstated as well. The toys transform into robot-style versions of the heroes. Within the series itself, they never do.

In fact the only imitable things the kid characters do with the disks is wear them on watch straps and throw them to the ground (to release the characters within). The end credits alone feature CG renders of five the disks transforming, but that's all.

Disney could easily have released the series outside of Asia with no objection from Bandai; although ostensinbly conceived to sell toys, the characters appeared in print first, and as a result the series is solely copyrighted to Marvel.

Edited by JonT, 12 September 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#27 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23741 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

the characters appeared in print first, and as a result the series is solely copyrighted to Marvel.

I don't think that's how it works. Like, Dragon Ball anime material has copyright attribution for Toei alongside Shueisha and Toriyama's Bird Studio.

edit: while I don't know the specific arrangements the Marvel anime were made under, copyright for adaptations doesn't default to "because the characters came from elsewhere, it belongs solely to the source material's publisher". For another example, the copyright notices on Harry Potter movies aren't simply "everything owned by Bloomsbury and Rowling".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 September 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#28 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

the characters appeared in print first, and as a result the series is solely copyrighted to Marvel.

I don't think that's how it works. Like, Dragon Ball anime material has copyright attribution for Toei alongside Shueisha and Toriyama's Bird Studio.

edit: while I don't know the specific arrangements the Marvel anime were made under, copyright for adaptations doesn't default to "because the characters came from elsewhere, it belongs solely to the source material's publisher". For another example, the copyright notices on Harry Potter movies aren't simply "everything owned by Bloomsbury and Rowling".

For the copyright info, I'm going off the details on the original Japanese end credits, which list, in English, the series copyrighted to Marvel alone. The credits could be wrong, but like the recent U.S. series they're also very specific about noting that Captain America was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Again, this information is written in English on the original Japanese version of the series.

#29 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:51 AM

So, I'm going to assume by "In it's entirety" Is still going to mean "The Goliath Chronicles never happened?"

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#30 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23741 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:35 AM

For the copyright info, I'm going off the details on the original Japanese end credits, which list, in English, the series copyrighted to Marvel alone. The credits could be wrong, but like the recent U.S. series they're also very specific about noting that Captain America was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Again, this information is written in English on the original Japanese version of the series.

It's possible that they made some sort of agreement that Marvel would own it entirely, but that's not an automatic consequence of using characters that first appeared elsewhere, or else other adaptations would look that way as well.

#31 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:43 AM

It's possible that they made some sort of agreement that Marvel would own it entirely, but that's not an automatic consequence of using characters that first appeared elsewhere, or else other adaptations would look that way as well.

I think the difference with Marvel is that they own the characters outright, in addition to publishing them. It's a similar situation with DC as the Big Two own outright most of the characters they themselves publish. That would be the difference with other adaptations and publishers.

The U.S. copyright website lists a few episodes of Disk Wars that Marvel copyrighted back in 2014. They only list episodes 1-6 so it's possible that other episodes might have also included Toei and/or Bandai too - it's uncertain with the information available.

The available evidence doesn't seem to preclude Disk Wars being off-limits, and the English dub's one-time showing was on a Disney channel, so it goes back to hoping that it turns up on Disney+ alongside most of the other past Marvel series.

Obviously all of Marvel's recent animated series have been owned by them, but Disney ended up with the distribution rights to most of the older Marvel animated series too (years before they even acquired Marvel itself), explaining why they'll be available on the service.

A famous instance where this is not the case is with the original 1967 Fantastic Four series; Disney now own the characters, but don't have distribution rights to this show so it's in limbo.

#32 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23741 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

I think the difference with Marvel is that they own the characters outright, in addition to publishing them.

That can't be it. If other publishers don't own their characters despite owning the stories they came from, then who owns the characters?

Like, looking at Dragon Ball again, Toei probably doesn't own the characters since the manga's copyrights are only Shueisha and Bird Studio (like in the pictures here, for example), so your reasoning of "own the characters" = "own the adaptation" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#33 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

That can't be it. If other publishers don't own their characters despite owning the stories they came from, then who owns the characters?Like, looking at Dragon Ball again, Toei probably doesn't own the characters since the manga's copyrights are only Shueisha and Bird Studio (like in the pictures here, for example), so your reasoning of "own the characters" = "own the adaptation" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

To close off my contribution on this, my comments about the characters appearing in print first were intended to be specific to Marvel, in conjunction with the Marvel-only credit on Disk Wars itself.

Every contract will be different, with the original authors retaining either a large or more marginal stake in the final product. An example with Marvel itself would be the Spectacular Spider-Man series being copyrighted to Adelaide Productions (Sony), while at the same time the characters on the show were copyrighted to Marvel.

Disk Wars, as with the Marvel animated series starting with Ultimate Spider-Man in 2012, only lists one copyright, for Marvel, presumably covering both the series and characters within. Therefore, admittedly based only on what was shown on the Disk Wars credits and on the U.S. Copyright Office website (both of which could be red herrings), I still contend that it is not an unreasonable assumption that Marvel alone owns Disk Wars and can do with it as they see fit.

Hopefully as Disney+ progresses we will all get some clarity with regards the status of the Disk Wars and Future Avengers dubs.

#34 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13343 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

The Disney+ service is testing in the Netherlands at the moment & they've put together a full list of everything apparently available at day 1.

https://attractionsm...s-day-one-list/

it's likely this will be a bit different on release (distribution rights varying by region and all that) but still... there's a LOT there...

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#35 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52529 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

As far as Muppets go, kinda miffed the Muppet Show isn't on there. Especially since Disney has yet to release the last two seasons on DVD.

Neither is the original Muppet Babies.

I hope the Muppet Christmas Carol has the VHS-only Scrooge song.

card-strongarm.jpg

#36 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23155 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

As far as Muppets go, kinda miffed the Muppet Show isn't on there. Especially since Disney has yet to release the last two seasons on DVD.

Exactly what I was looking for. But I notice The Simpsons also isn't (aside from the movie), nor are there any obvious packages of Silly Symphonies/1930s-1960s theatrical shorts, so maybe this excludes "episodic" content?

It's sure aimed at kids/teens/parents. Not much in the way of "adult" movies (not THAT kind of adult, you know what I mean) from FOX, Touchstone, etc... they've got a huge library to draw from, but this seems like pure Disney Channel content.

#37 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17805 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

Neither is the original Muppet Babies.

If I understand correctly the original Muppet Babies is a mess rights wise because of all the Movie, TV and song clips used. Apparently none of them were signed for later release so all those rights would have to be arranged and paid for now for any sort of release which is why there's never been one.

-ZacWilliam, I mean that's probably doable for Disney, sure but it's time and effort intensive and a money outlay and they don't have much incentive to care given all the stuff they have free and easy access to.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#38 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30330 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Exactly what I was looking for. But I notice The Simpsons also isn't (aside from the movie), nor are there any obvious packages of Silly Symphonies/1930s-1960s theatrical shorts, so maybe this excludes "episodic" content?

It's sure aimed at kids/teens/parents. Not much in the way of "adult" movies (not THAT kind of adult, you know what I mean) from FOX, Touchstone, etc... they've got a huge library to draw from, but this seems like pure Disney Channel content.

Don't forget that this is just the initial lineup for the Netherlands. The U.S. and other countries will likely have some variation from what is seen here.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#39 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4904 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, IIRC, some of the Marvel's films are tied up in some broadcasting rights and won't be available at launch.  That list also doesn't seem to feature any of the episodic content, so Disney might be doing some stress testing with the Netherlands smaller sample size.

But it'd SO be worth for the entire Love Bug series and oldies like That Darn Cat and original Tron reality available for streaming.  If our launch is close to the Netherlands list, it's definitely going to be worth it.

#40 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4904 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

That was intentional.  Disney+ isn't going to get much more mature than some older PG or PG-13 films or The Simpsons.  They've explicitly said that Hulu is gong to be the home for the company's more mature content that wouldn't fit in the demographics for Disney+

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users