Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The ongoing destruction of Vic Mignogna's career.

228 replies to this topic

#41 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well, going to try to get this answered before this whole thread gets locked for being too heated or something.

Funimation fires back with the fact that not only is what they did to him completely legal, Vic himself is libel-proof and therefore brought about his own downfall.

That part there in bold -- is that even an actual thing? How does that work, exactly?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#42 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28129 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

From what I got, Funimation is declaring that Vic's own reputation and actions makes anything he brings to a lawsuit as libel, completely null and void.  They're basically declaring that nothing they say or do actually affects his reputation regardless of what he claims.

Ironbite-it's basically declaring him a piece of shit and there's nothing he can sue for.

xC9l3eY.gif

#43 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46498 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Again, I stand by my pyromaniac in a fuel refinery analogy. They could be a model employee in every way, but eventually you just want to stop having to warn people to NOT give that person matches, no matter what they say.

#44 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20660 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Ironbite-it's basically declaring him a piece of shit and there's nothing he can sue for.

This statement is defamatory and false
because Mr. Mignogna is not a piece of shit (that is another name for feces, thus it
is impossible for him to be a "piece of shit")

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#45 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

because Mr. Mignogna is not a piece of shit (that is another name for feces, thus it

Ohhhhhhh... this is THAT story, is it?

Honestly, if that was the best my defense could come up with, I'd strongly consider just telling them to lock me up right there.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#46 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:49 PM

Here's something that bothers me about the "Open Secret" defense: If the studio knew about it, and did nothing, they make themselves liable. If the convention organizers knew about it, and invited Vic anyway, they open themselves up to being liable as well. The more people acknowledge this as an open secret, and do nothing to stop it, they become accessories. Those con security people: accessories as well.

It is extremely damaging to everyone. And the simple solution was "Don't invite or allow that guy in here." That makes way more sense than having to assign extra security people to him to protect the convention goers.

And to think Vic berated some demonstrators (who were belittling anime fans as pervs and deviants) as having turned their backs on their god's true message...

No matter what happens here, muck sprays on everyone.

Even if he was innocent and is vindicated in court (which would essentially require proving his innocence--the opposite of the way the Justice system supposedly works), Vic's career is over. No one would ever trust him again. The question, the only question, is how many more go down with him. If he's guilty, a lot of other people who sheltered him are guilty too.

"Open Secret" is a terrible policy.

I have seen entire departments and divisions of companies shut down because someone officially acknowledged an Open Secret to the wrong person.

Edited by Sukoshiko, 04 August 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#47 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20660 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Honestly, if that was the best my defense could come up with, I'd strongly consider just telling them to lock me up right there.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's not the defense. :D

Vic Mangina is the plaintiff. This is an attempt at a civil suit for defamation.

This is from the letter Vic's attorney sent Ron Toye, Monica Rial's fiancé.

https://drive.google...DyMICcjjONsnrWG

It's becoming quite notorious in the lawyer side of the world.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#48 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 2060 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

This has been the most interesting of train wrecks. I been keeping tabs on this since it involves some of my favorite voice actresses and Convention gone to in the past.  So its like EEK.

On why it didn't come to light.  The main factor is this guys popularity level.  He was over with fans.  Ever since he did his Full Metal Alchemist role.  He was voice actor equivalent to the Beatles in music popularity.  If you were attend a con to try to get an autograph.  Good luck since the lines were always huge and non stop.  Plus with the conventions and for general public. He did stuff that portrayed himself in very good PR light Besides the basic general voice actor panels. He had religious, christian theme panels. I never attended them but remember seeing Christian Volleyball with Vic one year and a mass panel.  Which seem really odd for Convention to do.  But in way in present hey he is willing to help out some of our religious fans on their sacred day of the week. So cons beside money he was good PR person in a way.

Now eventually I did hear about his womanizing through out the years.  More so in comedic panels which were run by former staff members of various conventions. Granted these weren't great detail stories just jokes and if your not paying attention you would miss it.  So people knew and got the impression about him but their was no evidence for attendees to really do anything about this unless they were directly involved.  With the attendees accusing him part.  From what I seen posted.  Its more subtle and you have to pay attention or you can miss it.  From pictures it like he's doing at the gray point.  Where its like they may not realize at the time or its enough of oh its rush accidental slip since has to handle so many fans. Plus you have the fans in fan mode and not thinking clearly or if they are.  Caught off guard.  Its just more mess instead of clear creeping.  Which factor into why its taken so long to come out. 

With the sexual pursuit stuff and convention staff allowing it.  While its easy to say we want money lets cover this up.  Theirs more factors to it.  He's the guest, if he is acting in the wrong.  The correct staff has to be made aware of it. With how convention itself has that set up.  If guest is harassing you at the convention.  You have to let the convention staff and the proper authorities know.  Especially at the time of the convention where they can do stuff.  So its as when the con is active.  Plus if any of this was happening at hotel, bar, or restaurant. As long as the voice actor is not represent the convention. I think legally it fall under the staff and owners of those business. That Plus anime conventions do have a lot of adult scene going on.  Beside hentai, 21+ panels, Burlesque, and erotic cosplay.  Their is sub culture trying to hook.  So I can easily see him cover his track.  Saying some groupies are trying to hook up with him. With those possibilities while not right.  I can see making the convention at least for a few years be confuse on the situation.

This just a nightmare and train wreck thats just get worst and worst.

#49 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19713 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:45 AM

Oh boy you're both siding here.

Ironbite-come on man, be better then this.

Yes, I am saying both sides of this are shit here.

If every single thing that the defendants say about Vic was true, they were fully aware of his predatory behavior yet took part in covering for him, putting up the illusion that everything is alright and allowed a known predator to go about his predator business for two decades in exchange for a paycheck. Sorry, I can't hitch my wagon up with people who think that is acceptable regardless of ongoing legal proceedings. I'm sure they won't notice one less pair of torches and pitchforks and I have plenty of contempt for as many sides pop up.

Can't think of any better than not throwing my lot in with either predators or predator-enablers.

Edited by unluckiness, 05 August 2019 - 04:45 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#50 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28685 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:36 AM

I don't defend Vic but it's well known that Funimation has never exactly been a well run ship. Marchi herself has been connected to rewriting dub scripts to reference Gamergate and patriarchy when they were never there in the first place.

In a world where we had the Weinstein controversy I can well believe Vic was getting away with crap for years and Funimation themselves were turning a blind eye to it. Vic was one of their most bankable stars due to Ed and Broly. Rial? The third dub voice of Bulma.

Hell, speaking as someone who works partly as an entertainment journalist I can tell you how quickly those circles will lock you out if you rock the boat or say the wrong thing.

#51 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1275 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

As someone who only watches dubs and majority is from Funimation, I am at least glad that those rewrites are very few (and I believe they changed the Gamergate one for the physical release).

On to the Vic thing, I am still on the sidelines with is, as there is a lot of shit going everywhere in this.

It does make sense with the firing after the big "news" story, as we see that all the time. It is all about image. Plus, in reality, they are all pretty popular, so who do you go with, the guy who is in two or three shows a year, usually in secondary roles, or Marchi and Rial who at least work on like 90% of the stuff they bring out? Business wise, they made the "safe" decision.

Don't like how that stuff works, but I can see why they did it.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#52 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5400 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

I had to look up his Wikipedia page because I have no idea who he is, but damn his list of credits is long.  What is it with anime dubbing that they basically hire the same 5 people to do all of them?  

#53 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

I had to look up his Wikipedia page because I have no idea who he is, but damn his list of credits is long.  What is it with anime dubbing that they basically hire the same 5 people to do all of them?  

No. 6 people..

#54 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18669 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's not the defense. :D

Vic Mangina is the plaintiff. This is an attempt at a civil suit for defamation.
This is from the letter Vic's attorney sent Ron Toye, Monica Rial's fiancé.
https://drive.google...DyMICcjjONsnrWG

It's becoming quite notorious in the lawyer side of the world.

Right, my bad. Does that make them prosecution, then? Or does that term apply in a civil case?

Either way, though, my point remains -- just lock me away.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#55 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2488 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

I beg to differ, Mr. Mignogna can be eaten, digested then defecated and thus become a literal piece of shit.

#56 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1275 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

No. 6 people..
Well, while, like many industries of its type, it is very competitive, but it also helps to be local, available, and be good and quick at your job, which is why there are scores of people you hear all the time. Especially now with the simuldub, they are doing a massive amount of more shows in shorter times than the 00's and early 10's, so they need reliability. Also, there have been a bunch of new or lesser used voices that are leads or all over the place now, too.

One of my favorite things was trying to guess voices before looking them up. Much easier to find the info online now when compared to the times I thought that Steve Blum was the alias of David Lucas, and not vice-versa.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#57 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

No. 6 people..

Well, NOW it's 5. 

#58 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10519 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

...it's okay to still enjoy the stuff he worked on, right? I mean, I won't be down on anyone who disliked anything Mignogna's taken part in - we're all allowed to like or dislike a given fictional work - but FMA:Brotherhood's one of my favorite anime titles, and I don't want to disavow it simply because of accusations or worse against the lead VA.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#59 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4320 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

eWyGDWr.png

Macross dub: Hikaru was voiced by Vic, Misa by Rial. This is the only thing I know those two from, so this screenshot is amazing.

#60 Doin It To Ham

Doin It To Ham

HAMHOLE

• Supporter
  • 4320 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

...it's okay to still enjoy the stuff he worked on, right? I mean, I won't be down on anyone who disliked anything Mignogna's taken part in - we're all allowed to like or dislike a given fictional work - but FMA:Brotherhood's one of my favorite anime titles, and I don't want to disavow it simply because of accusations or worse against the lead VA.

Dude, I still watch The Cosby Show. It's okay. Don't let internet warriors ruin your enjoyment. It's not condoning the actor's behavior.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users