Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
- - - - -

The ongoing destruction of Vic Mignogna's career.

80 replies to this topic

#41 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18616 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well, going to try to get this answered before this whole thread gets locked for being too heated or something.

Funimation fires back with the fact that not only is what they did to him completely legal, Vic himself is libel-proof and therefore brought about his own downfall.

That part there in bold -- is that even an actual thing? How does that work, exactly?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#42 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27843 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

From what I got, Funimation is declaring that Vic's own reputation and actions makes anything he brings to a lawsuit as libel, completely null and void.  They're basically declaring that nothing they say or do actually affects his reputation regardless of what he claims.

Ironbite-it's basically declaring him a piece of shit and there's nothing he can sue for.

xC9l3eY.gif

#43 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45917 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Again, I stand by my pyromaniac in a fuel refinery analogy. They could be a model employee in every way, but eventually you just want to stop having to warn people to NOT give that person matches, no matter what they say.

#44 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Ironbite-it's basically declaring him a piece of shit and there's nothing he can sue for.

This statement is defamatory and false
because Mr. Mignogna is not a piece of shit (that is another name for feces, thus it
is impossible for him to be a "piece of shit")

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#45 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18616 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

because Mr. Mignogna is not a piece of shit (that is another name for feces, thus it

Ohhhhhhh... this is THAT story, is it?

Honestly, if that was the best my defense could come up with, I'd strongly consider just telling them to lock me up right there.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#46 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:49 PM

Here's something that bothers me about the "Open Secret" defense: If the studio knew about it, and did nothing, they make themselves liable. If the convention organizers knew about it, and invited Vic anyway, they open themselves up to being liable as well. The more people acknowledge this as an open secret, and do nothing to stop it, they become accessories. Those con security people: accessories as well.

It is extremely damaging to everyone. And the simple solution was "Don't invite or allow that guy in here." That makes way more sense than having to assign extra security people to him to protect the convention goers.

And to think Vic berated some demonstrators (who were belittling anime fans as pervs and deviants) as having turned their backs on their god's true message...

No matter what happens here, muck sprays on everyone.

Even if he was innocent and is vindicated in court (which would essentially require proving his innocence--the opposite of the way the Justice system supposedly works), Vic's career is over. No one would ever trust him again. The question, the only question, is how many more go down with him. If he's guilty, a lot of other people who sheltered him are guilty too.

"Open Secret" is a terrible policy.

I have seen entire departments and divisions of companies shut down because someone officially acknowledged an Open Secret to the wrong person.

Edited by Sukoshiko, 04 August 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#47 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Honestly, if that was the best my defense could come up with, I'd strongly consider just telling them to lock me up right there.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's not the defense. :D

Vic Mangina is the plaintiff. This is an attempt at a civil suit for defamation.

This is from the letter Vic's attorney sent Ron Toye, Monica Rial's fiancé.

https://drive.google...DyMICcjjONsnrWG

It's becoming quite notorious in the lawyer side of the world.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#48 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 2059 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

This has been the most interesting of train wrecks. I been keeping tabs on this since it involves some of my favorite voice actresses and Convention gone to in the past.  So its like EEK.

On why it didn't come to light.  The main factor is this guys popularity level.  He was over with fans.  Ever since he did his Full Metal Alchemist role.  He was voice actor equivalent to the Beatles in music popularity.  If you were attend a con to try to get an autograph.  Good luck since the lines were always huge and non stop.  Plus with the conventions and for general public. He did stuff that portrayed himself in very good PR light Besides the basic general voice actor panels. He had religious, christian theme panels. I never attended them but remember seeing Christian Volleyball with Vic one year and a mass panel.  Which seem really odd for Convention to do.  But in way in present hey he is willing to help out some of our religious fans on their sacred day of the week. So cons beside money he was good PR person in a way.

Now eventually I did hear about his womanizing through out the years.  More so in comedic panels which were run by former staff members of various conventions. Granted these weren't great detail stories just jokes and if your not paying attention you would miss it.  So people knew and got the impression about him but their was no evidence for attendees to really do anything about this unless they were directly involved.  With the attendees accusing him part.  From what I seen posted.  Its more subtle and you have to pay attention or you can miss it.  From pictures it like he's doing at the gray point.  Where its like they may not realize at the time or its enough of oh its rush accidental slip since has to handle so many fans. Plus you have the fans in fan mode and not thinking clearly or if they are.  Caught off guard.  Its just more mess instead of clear creeping.  Which factor into why its taken so long to come out. 

With the sexual pursuit stuff and convention staff allowing it.  While its easy to say we want money lets cover this up.  Theirs more factors to it.  He's the guest, if he is acting in the wrong.  The correct staff has to be made aware of it. With how convention itself has that set up.  If guest is harassing you at the convention.  You have to let the convention staff and the proper authorities know.  Especially at the time of the convention where they can do stuff.  So its as when the con is active.  Plus if any of this was happening at hotel, bar, or restaurant. As long as the voice actor is not represent the convention. I think legally it fall under the staff and owners of those business. That Plus anime conventions do have a lot of adult scene going on.  Beside hentai, 21+ panels, Burlesque, and erotic cosplay.  Their is sub culture trying to hook.  So I can easily see him cover his track.  Saying some groupies are trying to hook up with him. With those possibilities while not right.  I can see making the convention at least for a few years be confuse on the situation.

This just a nightmare and train wreck thats just get worst and worst.

kbucmu.jpg

#49 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:45 AM

Oh boy you're both siding here.

Ironbite-come on man, be better then this.

Yes, I am saying both sides of this are shit here.

If every single thing that the defendants say about Vic was true, they were fully aware of his predatory behavior yet took part in covering for him, putting up the illusion that everything is alright and allowed a known predator to go about his predator business for two decades in exchange for a paycheck. Sorry, I can't hitch my wagon up with people who think that is acceptable regardless of ongoing legal proceedings. I'm sure they won't notice one less pair of torches and pitchforks and I have plenty of contempt for as many sides pop up.

Can't think of any better than not throwing my lot in with either predators or predator-enablers.

Edited by unluckiness, 05 August 2019 - 04:45 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#50 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:36 AM

I don't defend Vic but it's well known that Funimation has never exactly been a well run ship. Marchi herself has been connected to rewriting dub scripts to reference Gamergate and patriarchy when they were never there in the first place.

In a world where we had the Weinstein controversy I can well believe Vic was getting away with crap for years and Funimation themselves were turning a blind eye to it. Vic was one of their most bankable stars due to Ed and Broly. Rial? The third dub voice of Bulma.

Hell, speaking as someone who works partly as an entertainment journalist I can tell you how quickly those circles will lock you out if you rock the boat or say the wrong thing.

#51 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1225 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

As someone who only watches dubs and majority is from Funimation, I am at least glad that those rewrites are very few (and I believe they changed the Gamergate one for the physical release).

On to the Vic thing, I am still on the sidelines with is, as there is a lot of shit going everywhere in this.

It does make sense with the firing after the big "news" story, as we see that all the time. It is all about image. Plus, in reality, they are all pretty popular, so who do you go with, the guy who is in two or three shows a year, usually in secondary roles, or Marchi and Rial who at least work on like 90% of the stuff they bring out? Business wise, they made the "safe" decision.

Don't like how that stuff works, but I can see why they did it.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#52 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5194 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

I had to look up his Wikipedia page because I have no idea who he is, but damn his list of credits is long.  What is it with anime dubbing that they basically hire the same 5 people to do all of them?  

#53 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

I had to look up his Wikipedia page because I have no idea who he is, but damn his list of credits is long.  What is it with anime dubbing that they basically hire the same 5 people to do all of them?  

No. 6 people..

#54 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18616 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's not the defense. :D

Vic Mangina is the plaintiff. This is an attempt at a civil suit for defamation.
This is from the letter Vic's attorney sent Ron Toye, Monica Rial's fiancé.
https://drive.google...DyMICcjjONsnrWG

It's becoming quite notorious in the lawyer side of the world.

Right, my bad. Does that make them prosecution, then? Or does that term apply in a civil case?

Either way, though, my point remains -- just lock me away.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#55 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2438 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

I beg to differ, Mr. Mignogna can be eaten, digested then defecated and thus become a literal piece of shit.

#56 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1225 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

No. 6 people..
Well, while, like many industries of its type, it is very competitive, but it also helps to be local, available, and be good and quick at your job, which is why there are scores of people you hear all the time. Especially now with the simuldub, they are doing a massive amount of more shows in shorter times than the 00's and early 10's, so they need reliability. Also, there have been a bunch of new or lesser used voices that are leads or all over the place now, too.

One of my favorite things was trying to guess voices before looking them up. Much easier to find the info online now when compared to the times I thought that Steve Blum was the alias of David Lucas, and not vice-versa.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#57 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59933 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

No. 6 people..

Well, NOW it's 5. 

#58 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10372 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

...it's okay to still enjoy the stuff he worked on, right? I mean, I won't be down on anyone who disliked anything Mignogna's taken part in - we're all allowed to like or dislike a given fictional work - but FMA:Brotherhood's one of my favorite anime titles, and I don't want to disavow it simply because of accusations or worse against the lead VA.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#59 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4207 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

eWyGDWr.png

Macross dub: Hikaru was voiced by Vic, Misa by Rial. This is the only thing I know those two from, so this screenshot is amazing.

#60 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4207 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

...it's okay to still enjoy the stuff he worked on, right? I mean, I won't be down on anyone who disliked anything Mignogna's taken part in - we're all allowed to like or dislike a given fictional work - but FMA:Brotherhood's one of my favorite anime titles, and I don't want to disavow it simply because of accusations or worse against the lead VA.

Dude, I still watch The Cosby Show. It's okay. Don't let internet warriors ruin your enjoyment. It's not condoning the actor's behavior.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users