Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
- - - - -

The ongoing destruction of Vic Mignogna's career.

80 replies to this topic

#21 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:13 AM

This guy voices over for Japanese cartoons, I highly doubt he can pull a Cosby or Weinstein. 

Oh, sure, on the VA aspect it might be low on the totem pole.

But anime is big. And anime VO guests is big business for conventions.

And most of his predatory practices happened to take place AT CONVENTIONS.

Put it together, mate.

Funimation terminated his contract after an INTERNAL INVESTIGATION.

Edited by Detour, 04 August 2019 - 03:14 AM.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#22 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:35 AM

He is allegedly a predator, indiscriminately preying on convention-goers, yet for almost two decades no victims, no parents, no security, no hotel staff, no coworkers, no convention staff and no convention owners filed a report with the police or even with convention security for any of this? As many attendees a famous voice actor would bring in, a known sexual predator would drive away, especially one so apparently notorious. Not to mention legal liability. Maybe one or two cons maybe if he only recently became popular, maybe if he was chummy with a con organizer or two. But two decades in dozens of conventions held by different companies, all over the world? That's not exactly much better than the corkboard you posted.

And what exactly did the INTERNAL INVESTIGATION say? 

Call me a skeptic but something stinks here. On both sides of the fence.

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 03:41 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#23 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:55 AM

And what exactly did the INTERNAL INVESTIGATION say?

Let's ask the person who directed it!

https://drive.google...DHXnP0-QZZx0os-

And let's also check in with the VP of Operations at Funimation while we're at it!

https://drive.google...DHXnP0-QZZx0os-

Really love it how Mangina's lawyers are so out of their depths, they decided to sue Funimation itself for defamation!

We wouldn't have all this otherwise. His own lawsuit is helping make the case against him.

(is the whole of not only Funimation but its parent company Sony Pictures Entertainment also in on the conspiracy?)

Check the drive. It's loaded with affidavits, depositions, letters, court filings, court transcripts....

https://drive.google...lfqiM_1Qob3Jpc4

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#24 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:20 AM

It doesn't say what the findings were nor what he allegedly did. Just that one HR person thought it was grounds for firing and to be frank, I've never met any competent HR people.

Vice President says that, yes, we did fire him. Brilliant. So we know that he did get fired.

Look man, I don't even watch any dubs but Dragon Ball and I quit because they were more than a year behind. All this says to me is the US dub industry is full of predators, predator enablers or liars so hug them all, I'm sticking to subs. Even with Goku's granny voice. 

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 04:23 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#25 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7091 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:38 AM

Surely we as a society are now past "if it was a real thing they should have complained sooner".

"Guy does creepy shit for decades without facing consequences" is hardly shocking news. At this point, to imagine there's a conspiracy or a vendetta is bizarre. Which is not to say that every claim is automatically legitimate or that an appropriate and thorough investigation shouldn't be conducted before we denounce him as Satan, but really... there's some weird woman-hating "save the man" shit going on here.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#26 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28452 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:39 AM

I do not get this accusation of Monica being jealous about a role. I hardly think she was going "Yeah, I could play Broly!"

#27 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:48 AM

Surely we as a society are now past "if it was a real thing they should have complained sooner".

"Guy does creepy shit for decades without facing consequences" is hardly shocking news. At this point, to imagine there's a conspiracy or a vendetta is bizarre. Which is not to say that every claim is automatically legitimate or that an appropriate and thorough investigation shouldn't be conducted before we denounce him as Satan, but really... there's some weird woman-hating "save the man" shit going on here.

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating. Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating. Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 05:14 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#28 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45917 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Mignogna's behavior was an open secret for years. Conventions knew about it and warned volunteers. Coworkers knew about it. Contemporaries knew about it. That there are (seemingly) no victims is a testament to the dedication and vigilance of those who took the warning flags seriously and kept Vic on a leash.

But simply because there (seemingly) were no victims doesn't mean that Mignogna is somehow blameless for his actions or should not have been let go. You can hire a known Pyromaniac to work in a fuel refinery, and they can work there for many years without having actually set a fire, but sooner or later you just aren't going to want to deal with the hassle of worrying whether or not they WILL, when there are plenty of people out there that can do the same job and not even think about watching the place burn.

In the end, Mignogna's handlers were fed up with constantly dodging bullets and put him out to pasture.

#29 Rycochet

Rycochet

Maybe it's imaginary.

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating. Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating. Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.
There are plenty of cases of people who've managed to do these sort of things without any allegations going far enough to trigger a prosecution... John K of Ren and Stimpy fame groomed underaged girls and he effectively got away with it. It was well known in his industry, he's all but admitted it and his victims have too.

There are a whole load of reasons victims don't file complaints with the police, being afraid having every detail of their personal lives put out in the open, being publicly destroyed by his fans, being afraid the police would take his side because of how they dressed, or because the were warned about him. Fear of repercussions, being laughed at or dismissed has stopped people coming forward about a great many crimes involving people who've later been convicted of other assaults, look at how long Bill Cosby got away with it.

I won't accuse you of woman hating, but let's not pretend that victims not coming forward and going to the police is somehow a big red flag that they may be liars or mistaken somehow.

Edited by Rycochet, 04 August 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#30 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65379 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

This makes me think of 15 to 20 years ago when the guy who did the USA Dragonball Z music used to tell people that to try to get women to come talk to him / try to lure them to his hotel room. Or at least that was my impression of what he was doing.

ACItEK8.png

#31 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7091 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

First I should maybe clarify that when I said there was "woman-hating going on here" I wasn't necessarily pinning that on anyone in this thread, more on the actual drivers of the Save Poor Vic campaign.

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating.

Assuming that every complaint is fabricated isn't fantastic though.

Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating.

No, obviously. And as I said, that's how this should go. The process shouldn't be driven by a bunch of gross dudes who don't want to see women standing up.

Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.

Characterising a significant group of accusers as all remembering wrong, making mistakes or lying doesn't seem like a great look to me.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#32 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

Assuming that every complaint is fabricated isn't fantastic though.

My assumption is the guy is skeevy and with a record that is not at all clean. Hell, his fiance pretty much laid that out. But being a horndog is not synonymous with being a pedophile and a rapist. Those accusations are farmore heinous and ruinous to one's reputation and have yet to be proven.  

No, obviously. And as I said, that's how this should go. The process shouldn't be driven by a bunch of gross dudes who don't want to see women standing up. 

It shouldn't be driven by a social media mob either.

Characterising a significant group of accusers as all remembering wrong, making mistakes or lying doesn't seem like a great look to me. 

Denial of somebody's right to innocence until proven guilty is an even worse look. Harboring somebody you know is a rapist and a predator is even worse than that. I'll change my mind when they dig up evidence of what they're actually accusing him of.

My rejection of this movement is because at the best case scenario for the industry, it tolerates or even protects predators to make a buck. The defendants in this case are every bit as scummy, albeit in a different way and I'm not tossing my lot in with either side of this for that reason.

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 08:27 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#33 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 45917 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Is it really innocent until proven guilty when practically everyone in this man's circle has admitted it was a known red flag? When the man's lawyers have confirmed it as such?

Even when he's not done anything, employers have a right to not want to deal with that bag of snakes.

#34 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2206 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

In America? Yes, it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunatly in this age of social media more and more things are being decided in the court of public opinion.

For criminal court. The rules are different for civil court.

Edited by NOIP, 04 August 2019 - 09:01 AM.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#35 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27843 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Oh good Vic Stans here as well.

Look, Unluckiness and Sukoshiko, I understand how this feels.  Big betrayal right?  But guys, I take a look at the evidence, I take a look at the affidavits of those that have been entered in testimony and I can come to only one conclusion.  Vic is Hugged.

Ironbite-massively hugged.

xC9l3eY.gif

#36 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18801 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

~Both sides~

And other such horse shit so the usual crowd can feign ignorance and clean hands.

Gee gosh mister why would victims come out sooner when they were even more isolated and less believed in the past? The people immediately assuming they're lying, misremembering or acting in bad faith couldn't possibly have anything to do with that.

True story time. I was emotionally abused by a family friend and mentor, a church elder, with a track record of this that was an open secret. I suffered years of suicidal ideation from this and still have extreme anxiety and self worth problems.

I actually DID tell someone. Know what happened? I was told I had it wrong, I was overreacting and then had to be lectured BY MY ABUSER cause they went to them to talk it over. So I stopped telling ANYONE. It was more than a decade later before my mother, the person I'd told about the abuse, saw it in person happen to my nephew. THEN she believed me and couldn't apologize enough. But you know what happened when she went to the other church leaders about it?

Guess. It's funny. Nothing. Not a hugging thing. She was... overreacting, misremembering and you know the rest. This church elder on question then gave a hugging public speech to the congregation about respecting the church and knowing your appropriate role while staring down my mother the entire time.

My mother left that church that night and never went back. Last I heard he'd been promoted to the head of the congregation. I know at least 3 other families with similar stories. One of whom literally moved from the area to get away from him.

Abusers get defended all the time. They get away with it all the time. Pretending like thats proof that something doesn't add up is idiotic.

Edited by Ms Virion, 04 August 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#37 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19322 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

Ive only heard of Vic as a doll in Yugioh Abridged since like I said earlier in this thread, I dont bother with dubs. Ive asked questions about those the content of those affidavits in this thread and was ignored and accused. So kindly take the condescending attitude and labels and shove it.

Neither the plaintiff or the defences version of the stories add up to what they want me to believe so screw both of them. Something stinks here and its not just your attitude

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 04:43 PM.

xOyvpt9.png

#38 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27843 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

Oh boy you're both siding here.

Ironbite-come on man, be better then this.

xC9l3eY.gif

#39 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10635 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

It's odd; I've watched DBZ since I was a teenager, and most of you know how big a Trek nut I am (though admittedly I've never seen Star Trek Continues, despite touring the recreation of the TOS sets it actually used for filming a couple years back), but I've never heard of this guy. I've never really been one to follow celebrities or their personal lives that closely, though, not even those I highly respect.

It's a shame how many "open secrets" there seem to be as far as the behavior of certain celebrities go, and how many people are apparently willing to tolerate it for the sake of making a bit more money. I guess you need power to counter power, though, and generally our society chooses the wrong people to give power to. The people most likely to be principled enough to take a stand against these people are also the most likely people to have no power, no authority within organizations like studios or big conventions, and little to no wealth.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 04 August 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#40 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13207 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thats the thing i find most unpleasantly sad. That this kind of 'open secret' was merely tolerated and 'dealt with'.

If the truth comes out and he is unquestionably guilty, then he should pay for it. It is just kindof concerning that this only came out once Vic was back in the limelight because of Broly.

fslookup.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users