Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

The ongoing destruction of Vic Mignogna's career.

269 replies to this topic

#21 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:20 AM

It doesn't say what the findings were nor what he allegedly did. Just that one HR person thought it was grounds for firing and to be frank, I've never met any competent HR people.

Vice President says that, yes, we did fire him. Brilliant. So we know that he did get fired.

Look man, I don't even watch any dubs but Dragon Ball and I quit because they were more than a year behind. All this says to me is the US dub industry is full of predators, predator enablers or liars so hug them all, I'm sticking to subs. Even with Goku's granny voice. 

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 04:23 AM.

XgxCpmP.png

#22 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7699 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:38 AM

Surely we as a society are now past "if it was a real thing they should have complained sooner".

"Guy does creepy shit for decades without facing consequences" is hardly shocking news. At this point, to imagine there's a conspiracy or a vendetta is bizarre. Which is not to say that every claim is automatically legitimate or that an appropriate and thorough investigation shouldn't be conducted before we denounce him as Satan, but really... there's some weird woman-hating "save the man" shit going on here.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#23 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29225 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:39 AM

I do not get this accusation of Monica being jealous about a role. I hardly think she was going "Yeah, I could play Broly!"

#24 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:48 AM

Surely we as a society are now past "if it was a real thing they should have complained sooner".

"Guy does creepy shit for decades without facing consequences" is hardly shocking news. At this point, to imagine there's a conspiracy or a vendetta is bizarre. Which is not to say that every claim is automatically legitimate or that an appropriate and thorough investigation shouldn't be conducted before we denounce him as Satan, but really... there's some weird woman-hating "save the man" shit going on here.

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating. Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating. Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 05:14 AM.

XgxCpmP.png

#25 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Mignogna's behavior was an open secret for years. Conventions knew about it and warned volunteers. Coworkers knew about it. Contemporaries knew about it. That there are (seemingly) no victims is a testament to the dedication and vigilance of those who took the warning flags seriously and kept Vic on a leash.

But simply because there (seemingly) were no victims doesn't mean that Mignogna is somehow blameless for his actions or should not have been let go. You can hire a known Pyromaniac to work in a fuel refinery, and they can work there for many years without having actually set a fire, but sooner or later you just aren't going to want to deal with the hassle of worrying whether or not they WILL, when there are plenty of people out there that can do the same job and not even think about watching the place burn.

In the end, Mignogna's handlers were fed up with constantly dodging bullets and put him out to pasture.

#26 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3657 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating. Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating. Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.
There are plenty of cases of people who've managed to do these sort of things without any allegations going far enough to trigger a prosecution... John K of Ren and Stimpy fame groomed underaged girls and he effectively got away with it. It was well known in his industry, he's all but admitted it and his victims have too.

There are a whole load of reasons victims don't file complaints with the police, being afraid having every detail of their personal lives put out in the open, being publicly destroyed by his fans, being afraid the police would take his side because of how they dressed, or because the were warned about him. Fear of repercussions, being laughed at or dismissed has stopped people coming forward about a great many crimes involving people who've later been convicted of other assaults, look at how long Bill Cosby got away with it.

I won't accuse you of woman hating, but let's not pretend that victims not coming forward and going to the police is somehow a big red flag that they may be liars or mistaken somehow.

Edited by Rycochet, 04 August 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#27 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67475 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

This makes me think of 15 to 20 years ago when the guy who did the USA Dragonball Z music used to tell people that to try to get women to come talk to him / try to lure them to his hotel room. Or at least that was my impression of what he was doing.

ACItEK8.png

#28 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7699 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

First I should maybe clarify that when I said there was "woman-hating going on here" I wasn't necessarily pinning that on anyone in this thread, more on the actual drivers of the Save Poor Vic campaign.

Being skeptical of apparently hundreds of victims over three decades all over the world with not even a slap on the wrist on record, no emails, no texts for a guy who voices niche Japanese cartoons is not woman-hating.

Assuming that every complaint is fabricated isn't fantastic though.

Letting the courts and not Twitter sort things out is not woman hating.

No, obviously. And as I said, that's how this should go. The process shouldn't be driven by a bunch of gross dudes who don't want to see women standing up.

Treating women as human beings who misremember, make mistakes or lie is not woman hating. Get over yourself.

Characterising a significant group of accusers as all remembering wrong, making mistakes or lying doesn't seem like a great look to me.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#29 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

Assuming that every complaint is fabricated isn't fantastic though.

My assumption is the guy is skeevy and with a record that is not at all clean. Hell, his fiance pretty much laid that out. But being a horndog is not synonymous with being a pedophile and a rapist. Those accusations are farmore heinous and ruinous to one's reputation and have yet to be proven.  

No, obviously. And as I said, that's how this should go. The process shouldn't be driven by a bunch of gross dudes who don't want to see women standing up. 

It shouldn't be driven by a social media mob either.

Characterising a significant group of accusers as all remembering wrong, making mistakes or lying doesn't seem like a great look to me. 

Denial of somebody's right to innocence until proven guilty is an even worse look. Harboring somebody you know is a rapist and a predator is even worse than that. I'll change my mind when they dig up evidence of what they're actually accusing him of.

My rejection of this movement is because at the best case scenario for the industry, it tolerates or even protects predators to make a buck. The defendants in this case are every bit as scummy, albeit in a different way and I'm not tossing my lot in with either side of this for that reason.

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 08:27 AM.

XgxCpmP.png

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Is it really innocent until proven guilty when practically everyone in this man's circle has admitted it was a known red flag? When the man's lawyers have confirmed it as such?

Even when he's not done anything, employers have a right to not want to deal with that bag of snakes.

#31 NOIP

NOIP

A knockdown, dragout, rock and roll party in the streets.

• Citizen
  • 2311 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

In America? Yes, it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunatly in this age of social media more and more things are being decided in the court of public opinion.

For criminal court. The rules are different for civil court.

Edited by NOIP, 04 August 2019 - 09:01 AM.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#32 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 29039 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Oh good Vic Stans here as well.

Look, Unluckiness and Sukoshiko, I understand how this feels.  Big betrayal right?  But guys, I take a look at the evidence, I take a look at the affidavits of those that have been entered in testimony and I can come to only one conclusion.  Vic is Hugged.

Ironbite-massively hugged.

xC9l3eY.gif

#33 M Virion

M Virion

Sure-footed, newly free

• Retired Staff
  • 19322 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

~Both sides~

And other such horse shit so the usual crowd can feign ignorance and clean hands.

Gee gosh mister why would victims come out sooner when they were even more isolated and less believed in the past? The people immediately assuming they're lying, misremembering or acting in bad faith couldn't possibly have anything to do with that.

True story time. I was emotionally abused by a family friend and mentor, a church elder, with a track record of this that was an open secret. I suffered years of suicidal ideation from this and still have extreme anxiety and self worth problems.

I actually DID tell someone. Know what happened? I was told I had it wrong, I was overreacting and then had to be lectured BY MY ABUSER cause they went to them to talk it over. So I stopped telling ANYONE. It was more than a decade later before my mother, the person I'd told about the abuse, saw it in person happen to my nephew. THEN she believed me and couldn't apologize enough. But you know what happened when she went to the other church leaders about it?

Guess. It's funny. Nothing. Not a hugging thing. She was... overreacting, misremembering and you know the rest. This church elder on question then gave a hugging public speech to the congregation about respecting the church and knowing your appropriate role while staring down my mother the entire time.

My mother left that church that night and never went back. Last I heard he'd been promoted to the head of the congregation. I know at least 3 other families with similar stories. One of whom literally moved from the area to get away from him.

Abusers get defended all the time. They get away with it all the time. Pretending like thats proof that something doesn't add up is idiotic.

Edited by Ms Virion, 04 August 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#34 unluckiness

unluckiness

Kazuma desu

• Citizen
  • 20321 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

Ive only heard of Vic as a doll in Yugioh Abridged since like I said earlier in this thread, I dont bother with dubs. Ive asked questions about those the content of those affidavits in this thread and was ignored and accused. So kindly take the condescending attitude and labels and shove it.

Neither the plaintiff or the defences version of the stories add up to what they want me to believe so screw both of them. Something stinks here and its not just your attitude

Edited by unluckiness, 04 August 2019 - 04:43 PM.

XgxCpmP.png

#35 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 29039 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

Oh boy you're both siding here.

Ironbite-come on man, be better then this.

xC9l3eY.gif

#36 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10842 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

It's odd; I've watched DBZ since I was a teenager, and most of you know how big a Trek nut I am (though admittedly I've never seen Star Trek Continues, despite touring the recreation of the TOS sets it actually used for filming a couple years back), but I've never heard of this guy. I've never really been one to follow celebrities or their personal lives that closely, though, not even those I highly respect.

It's a shame how many "open secrets" there seem to be as far as the behavior of certain celebrities go, and how many people are apparently willing to tolerate it for the sake of making a bit more money. I guess you need power to counter power, though, and generally our society chooses the wrong people to give power to. The people most likely to be principled enough to take a stand against these people are also the most likely people to have no power, no authority within organizations like studios or big conventions, and little to no wealth.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 04 August 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#37 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14566 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Thats the thing i find most unpleasantly sad. That this kind of 'open secret' was merely tolerated and 'dealt with'.

If the truth comes out and he is unquestionably guilty, then he should pay for it. It is just kindof concerning that this only came out once Vic was back in the limelight because of Broly.

fslookup.jpg

#38 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18879 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well, going to try to get this answered before this whole thread gets locked for being too heated or something.

Funimation fires back with the fact that not only is what they did to him completely legal, Vic himself is libel-proof and therefore brought about his own downfall.

That part there in bold -- is that even an actual thing? How does that work, exactly?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#39 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 29039 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

From what I got, Funimation is declaring that Vic's own reputation and actions makes anything he brings to a lawsuit as libel, completely null and void.  They're basically declaring that nothing they say or do actually affects his reputation regardless of what he claims.

Ironbite-it's basically declaring him a piece of shit and there's nothing he can sue for.

xC9l3eY.gif

#40 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48077 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Again, I stand by my pyromaniac in a fuel refinery analogy. They could be a model employee in every way, but eventually you just want to stop having to warn people to NOT give that person matches, no matter what they say.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users