Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Cyoti : (20 November 2019 - 11:23 PM)

It's probably stuck on the low priority end of Warden's to-do list.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 November 2019 - 10:45 PM)

Because the only full-body Nightbeat was that Bumblebee with a new head one.

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2019 - 04:14 PM)

Why has there been no new Minerva toys? I’m surprised at Takara. The Titan Master head doesn’t count.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

On my shelf I have Ginrai donning the Star Convoy armor.

@  Liege : (19 November 2019 - 07:42 AM)

That he is.

@  Benbot : (18 November 2019 - 04:01 PM)

And a good boy

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Hound is at least a very good toy.

@  ThunderWear : (18 November 2019 - 09:11 AM)

Hound is the only other one that even comes close to Chromia in my area, and he ships in two separate waves.

@  Liege : (18 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

This might be how they finally get rid of all the Chromias. I've not seen a shelfwarmer like that in ages.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The ongoing destruction of Vic Mignogna's career.

231 replies to this topic

#1 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28160 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

I would've popped the DBZ thread to update ya'll on this but I feel that it's own thread is a good thing.

So a little bit of background for those who haven't been keeping up with Marzgurl's twitter feed or the Threadnaught that a member of Law Twitter has complied.  Vic Mignogna star of stage, screen and Full Metal Alchemist was fired suddenly by Funimation and Rooster Teeth waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in Febuary after a couple of decades of allegations of him being a pervert at cons, a sexist moron to coworkers, and just an all around dumbass to work with caught up with him.  This lead to cons also disinviting him from attending as a guest and a host of other money making schemes of his just drying up.  So what does this man do?  He sues Funimation, Rooster Teeth, and his accusers for a cool million in Texas.  Funimation fires back with the fact that not only is what they did to him completely legal, Vic himself is libel-proof and therefore brought about his own downfall.  So, a pair of morons set up a GoFundMe to scam I mean coerce donations from his fans, his fans start attacking anyone and anything that might have cast a disproving eye on The Legendary Super Saiyan(get it?  Cause he voiced Broly for all of three films and some of his stans think without him the series as a whole would've shrivled up and died years ago), and are proving that they have no clue between their ass and a hole in the ground.  Got it?  Ok good.  So this articlepopped up this morning.  And it's a doozy.

In the world of English-dubbed anime, Grapevine resident Vic Mignogna is a voice to be reckoned with.

Mignogna once again voiced fan favorite “Broly” in the latest installment of the Dragon Ball Z series, and the movie, released in January, skyrocketed to a $22.7 million U.S. box office in less than a week. It looked like 2019 would be another can’t-miss year for the actor.

But the wildly successful opening also unleashed a torrent of chatter about the 56-year-old actor’s long-rumored alleged inappropriate behavior — such as aggressive kisses, hugs and unwanted sexual advances — with women.

Mignogna lost a deal with a Flower Mound-based anime distribution company. Conventions began to remove him from their lineups. Thousands of enthusiasts rushed to pick a side in the social media warfare hashtagged #kickvic and #IStandWithVic.

This fierce battle over Mignogna has become the first big test of the #MeToo movement in the multimillion-dollar anime industry in America. What makes the case unusual in this era is that Mignogna is digging in and fighting back in court with a lawsuit alleging, among other things, defamation. He and his fervent fans have labeled the allegations lies, exaggerations and ploys for attention. Some fans allegedly have harassed the accusers, posting online photos of their homes and vehicles and berating them in phone calls disguised as friends and family.

Mignogna, meanwhile, bolstered by a GoFundMe war chest brimming with more than $236,000 from his supporters, is suing Funimation Productions, two female voice actors from the Dallas area and the fiancé of one of the women.

Attorney Sam Johnson, who represents Jamie Marchi, one of the women named in the lawsuit, said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News that the significance of the case is even bigger than what can be put into court filings and arguments.

“It’s the impact this case could have on this industry and certainly on our clients — and the broader cultural changes and the impact a case like this has on that broader movement,” he said.

Funimation, owned by Sony Pictures Television, declined to speak about the defamation lawsuit, saying it does not comment on pending litigation.

Mignogna’s Tyler-based attorney, Ty Beard, did not respond to repeated phone calls and email messages seeking comment for this story. An effort to reach Mignogna through a convention booking agent was also unsuccessful.

Asked during his June 26 deposition about the perception of some that he is “a sexual assaulter,” Mignogna responded, “there are an awful lot of fans out there who are really desperate for attention,” so they make up stories about him sexually assaulting them to gain the spotlight.

#Kickvic chorus begins

All three individuals targeted in Mignogna’s lawsuit were among the scores of anime talent and fans who, beginning early this year, tweeted critically about the actor’s behavior. The intense fallout developed around a single anonymous tweet from “hanleia,” posted Jan. 16, the same day Dragon Ball Super: Broly opened in the U.S. The tweet said Mignogna was a “homophobic rude a--hole who has been creepy to underage female fans for over 10 years.”

Anime voice actor Monica Rial retweeted “hanleia’s” accusation. The next day, she reposted two tweets by animation and gaming aficionado Kaylyn Saucedo that accused Mignogna of “great volumes of sexual misconduct” and urged Funimation to reconsider its hiring of him.

The “hanleia” tweet was reposted more than 4,000 times and prompted more than 400 comments, including from some who shared their own uncomfortable encounters with the voice actor.

The #kickvic chorus had begun. Years of whispers had finally culminated in outcries.

Mignogna responded quickly. In an online chat with his fan club Jan. 19, he reminded his legion of Risembool Rangers that rumors “have been slung around for many, many years.” And, he said, “None of these outrageous stories are true.”

“I’ll hug 1,000 people and 999 will say, ‘he’s so kind and open and friendly with his fans’ and one will say ‘he hugged me too tight and it was creepy,'" Mignogna said during the chat. “So it appears that I am going to need to revise the way I interact with fans at conventions.”

The next day, on Twitter, he called the growing accusations “heartbreaking” and posted this denial:  “I am NOT homophobic, NOT anti-semitic, NOT a predator of any sort.”

Several weeks later, Rial tweeted, “IT HAPPENED TO ME I’m only one voice in a sea of many ... He’s hurt enough people. He’s a sick man and he needs help.”

That same day, Feb. 6, fellow voice actor Marchi tweeted: “I want him to feel an ounce of the pain he’s caused others and then [expletive] choke on it.”

On Feb. 8, she tweeted details of an incident in which she said Mignogna violently pulled her hair in a tense office encounter.

Regarding Marchi’s tweet about the hair-pulling incident in the Funimation lobby, Mignogna said in his deposition, “it was not painful, it was not hurtful, it was not sexual.”

On Feb. 19, Rial tweeted a lengthy post in which she alleged that Vic grabbed her in a hotel room and forcibly kissed her without her consent at an anime convention in 2007.

Rial said that she decided to go public with her account of Mignogna’s actions “to put a face to the voices.”

“There were so many stories out there, but because they were these faceless voices on the internet, nobody wanted to believe them,” Rial said in an interview with The Dallas Morning News on July 24.

Mignogna denied Rial’s account and said he could never recall an instance when she was even in his hotel room.

Ronald Toye, Rial’s fiancé, repeatedly used the label “predator” online in reference to Mignogna and said more than 100 individuals had made accusations “of assault,” that the allegations were “corroborated” and that “[there were] mounds of testimony.”

Dallas attorney Sean Lemoine, part of the team fighting Mignogna’s suit, said Toye “came to the defense of his fiancee” and his inclusion in the lawsuit is an attempt to “break down the women’s support system.”

Funimation severs ties

Amid the intense online pressure and blowback from Mignogna’s fans, anime conventions quietly removed him from their celebrity lineups, and several online publications, including the Anime News Network, published stories about his behavior based on reports from mostly unidentified fans and industry insiders.

Flower Mound-based Funimation, which dubs and distributes anime shows, including much of the Dragon Ball franchise, announced in February that it had severed ties with Mignogna after an internal investigation. The statement included few specifics but said, “We do not condone any kind of harassment or threatening behavior.”

Mignogna, who voiced beloved character Edward Elic in Fullmetal Alchemist and played Captain Kirk in the live-action Star Trek Continues Web series, felt he was effectively blacklisted.

The actor said that loss of work seriously hit him in the wallet. According to the lawsuit, Mignogna attends 35 to 40 fan conventions each year and earns a sizable income from those events, both through contracts with the convention producers and from autographs, photos and guest panels.

Mignogna acknowledged in his deposition that people have commented negatively for years about his behavior. Mignogna said that although he no longer intends to hug or kiss fans of any age, he disagreed with a lawyer’s suggestion that kissing children on the forehead or cheek is creepy. He said the action is “a symbol of kindness or appreciation.”

A GoFundMe account is helping to pay for Mignogna’s legal fight. Nick Rekieta, a Minnesota lawyer, opened the account, but says he never spoke with the actor before he did so. Rekieta also suggested to Mignogna that he hire Beard as his attorney.

Mignogna’s lawsuit, filed April 18 in Tarrant County, alleges defamation, tortious interference and other charges against Rial, Toye, Marchi and Funimation.

During one of Rekieta’s many online commentaries, he explained his motives for pushing for the lawsuit: “The biggest one is I just don’t like any of the defendants and I think they’re terrible people and I want to see them ground into dust. Because when you lie to take away a man’s livelihood you deserve to be ground into dust.”

Affidavits pile up

But the lawsuit opened Mignogna up to more accusations. A defense filing July 19 included 10 signed affidavits that accuse Mignogna of, at the very least, poor judgment with women.

The statements include allegations from a then-high school sophomore about Mignogna’s unwanted advances in 1989, allegations from two convention staffers who allege he stalked a Japanese singer at an anime event and a voice actor who says Mignogna aggressively tried twice, in 2008 and 2010, to pressure her to have sex.

The latest defense filing, submitted Tuesday, includes detailed statements by twin sisters who allege that, when they were 22, Mignogna, in his early 50s at the time, tried to coax both of them into having sex and forcibly kissed them during a 2015 anime convention. The two women say in their affidavits that they shared their stories as part of Funimation’s internal investigation of the accusations against Mignogna.

A hearing is set for Sept. 6 for a judge to consider the four defendants’ anti-SLAPP motions, in effect seeking a court ruling against what they believe is an unjust lawsuit for the purpose of censoring, intimidating and silencing critics. SLAPP stands for strategic lawsuit against public participation.

The court will rule in each of the motions and, if a decision goes in a defendant’s favor, the plaintiff must step up and show probability — with evidence — that he will prevail.

Lemoine, one of the attorneys representing Rial and Toye, said “the Texas anti-SLAPP was designed to stop bullies from beating down people for telling the truth and having their say.”

Rial, who has lived in the Dallas area for about a decade, and Marchi, a North Texas resident for 15 years, talked in the July 24 interview about the relentless harassment from Mignogna’s fans. Marchi said, “It’s been really hard. But I would do it again.”

“The greater good was way more important than either one of us in this,” she said. “I’m standing up for so many women and victims who feel like they can’t say anything.”

Rial and Marchi each recounted examples of the backlash since they released their stories on social media: the posting of private information and harassment online and in phone calls, efforts to have the women fired or banned from fan events, and a barrage of death threats.

Marchi said that staff at conventions and studios tell her that they "are constantly getting harassing emails about us. Even our friends or colleagues we've simply done a panel discussion with — they are doxing those people and making it very known ... that they will get the same treatment we are."

Doxing refers to the online posting of personal information, such as home addresses and photos of residences and vehicles. Lemoine said Mignogna's online supporters are using this tactic "in a transparent attempt to intimidate witnesses in this war against two women."

Rial’s allegations about the verbal abuse against her in the past six months were similar to Marchi’s, and she, too, was steadfast about her actions.

“With everything I’ve been through — the death threats, the hatred, the trying to ruin my career, trying to get me fired because I came out and told the truth,” Rial said. “That is worth it if it saves one woman, one girl from having to deal with this kind of situation again.”

Both women also said they were thankful to be in this together. “We know this is going to be awful and who knows how long it’s going to be this awful,” Rial said. “But as long as we’ve got each other, and we’re standing together strong, let’s get the truth out there.”

Regardless of why this article was made, it's just telling that Vic is suing to get back some money.  The thing is, and this is key, he's admitted to doing several of the things he's accused of during deposition.  And that's because his lawyers, Ty Beard and Nick Rekieta, are idiots.  Complete idiots.  Rekieta especially keeps throwing bits and pieces out on livestreams that I think are supposed to exonerate Vic but meanwhile just completely buries his case.  It's amazing.  

Ironbite-oh and to interact with the Vic Stans is a treasure to behold...it really is.

xC9l3eY.gif

#2 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Nick "Screech" Rekieta isn't even his lawyer, he's just a failed in Minnesota lawyer who's grifting Vic's stans for superchat money on Youtube.

Ty Beard's probably competent in his normal, non-litigative fields... but it's obvious he's never litigated before and is way out of his depth.

Been following this mostly through T. Greg Doucette's epic "Threadnaught" twitter thread. It's been amaaazing.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8006 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

I've got a friend who works as VA handler at various Florida cons. It is a WELL KNOWN scenario that Vic is a total creep to the point where female con workers are warned of it ahead of time. This has been going on for years.

Edited by Confuzor, 03 August 2019 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

\_(ツ)_/

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

Huh. I never knew anything about him other than his Star Trek stuff which I really liked. Sad. 

#5 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9911 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

Goddamn, Mignogna is trying to escalate his fight despite his behavior being an open secret?

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#6 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Master of the sword, champion of the fight

• Supporter
  • 45440 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

Wow, as if I needed another reason to not watch the new Brolly movie.

#7 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

A few years ago Bennett the Sage reviewed a crappy "sex-romp" anime called Junk Boy and partway through there was an extended bit where Floating Vic Mignogna's Dead interrupted and was eventually beaten to a pulp.

It was really the first time I heard Vic's name, so I went looking into why this bit happened, and what I gathered from comments on Bennett's site and YouTube, it was because Vic is a massive prima donna, and he tends to creep on female attendees at cons, including underaged ones.

So yeah, it was easy to gather that this was an open secret in the anime community, so I was kinda surprised to hear all of a sudden that his getting outed was triggering outrage.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#8 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12467 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Really the whole thing should've ended once that video surfaced of him flirting with a five-year-old. 

but of course his fans blamed HER for that. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#9 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32900 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

Ugh. What a POS.

So much for me ever enjoying "Star Trek Continues" again.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#10 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Yet another reason, if anyone ever needed one, to ignore completely anything to do with Facebook or Twitter.

I don't know if he did. I don't know if he didn't. I don't know.

I do know that trial by twit-or-tweet is not how I want to live. I've seen way too many disastrous media trials to ever want to see another one. (see McMartin Preschool and the Navy ship whose turret blew up)

If someone has been wronged, by all means, come forward.

There is a right way to handle problems, and many wrong ways. Litigation should be a last resort.

If nothing else, Vic does know Star Trek, and I'd rather have him, alleged perv and molester in charge (keep the female staff away from him, obviously) than Kurtzman (with or without Orci) or JJA.

#11 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52043 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

My ex told me about his "behavior" years ago.

It's an open secret and anyone who doesn't want to believe it is doing so in spite of an overwhelming mountain of evidence.

card-strongarm.jpg

#12 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

If someone has been wronged, by all means, come forward.

I guess signed affidavits don't count as "coming forward"?

There is a right way to handle problems, and many wrong ways. Litigation should be a last resort.

Vic is the plaintiff.

#13 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19747 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:15 PM

I dont know much about this case but I do know a hitpiece when I see one. The article spends most of its length on frigging tweets and barely mentions the affidavits. They even set up glamour shots of the defendants and their lawyer for some reason yet grabbed some low res picture of Mignona from god knows where.

I dunno if hes innocent but between this and the ANN article that they had to edit a dozen times to remove pictures that the owners said were misrepresented, its not clear cut as this article claims it is.

Im not prepared to take the defendants at their word either since
If theyre telling the truth: they were happy to let a predator run rampant and be all friendly and jokey with him until he got a starring role then suddenly its a problem, but not for the courts; for Twitter

If not: Theyre lying for whatever reason

Edited by unluckiness, 03 August 2019 - 11:24 PM.

xOyvpt9.png

#14 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:55 PM

The article spends most of its length on frigging tweets and barely mentions the affidavits

They're providing a timeline, given how much of this unfolded specifically on social media, they kind of have to.

I dunno if hes innocent but between this and the ANN article that they had to edit a dozen times to remove pictures that the owners said were misrepresented, its not clear cut as this article claims it is.

Vic is the plaintiff. This isn't a criminal trial. This is a civil suit for defamation that's being crowdfunded for Dick Mangina by a screeching failed lawyer.

In TEXAS of all places, one of the states with the strongest anti-SLAPP statutes.

Vic being a colossal creep is animu's worst kept secret, and burying your head in the sand won't change that.

Getting people to go on record via affidavit is tough, and having a dozen+ is usually a sign the allegations are true and the opposing side is an asshole.

Here's some handy links to all the affidavits filed in court by the defendants. Happy reading.

https://drive.google...DHXnP0-QZZx0os-

https://drive.google...pJ4cDV8NV4nWSUL

Edited by Detour, 03 August 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#15 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:20 AM

If he's such a creep, why was this allowed to go on for so long. "Hey jackass--Back Off." isn't that hard to say. It isn't like he was a huge star who had to be protected. And with dubbed anime, replacing a voice actor isn't all that hard. (not like he was Frank Welker or something)

So yeah, I'm not going to accept anything just because it was on twitter.

Before I condemn someone, I want explanations for why people sat back and allowed the situation to get so bad when they knew there was a problem.

If Vic did it, he should be punished. If the studio knew about it, and did nothing, they should be punished. But they did nothing, but then suddenly fire him? Either way, their behavior seems fishy. And now I'm reminded of the Axanar mess all over again.

Again, I'm not defending anyone (Vic or Victim).

But I'd like to see facts presented that aren't just twits.

Silly pesky "innocent until proven guilty" thing.

Oh, and that cuts both ways--for Vic and the Studio.

Forget the rumors, gossip, and "open secret" crap. Let's have this as an actual trial of fact. When we have the facts, all of the facts, then we can judge. Until then, this is just speculation and trial by popularity contest.

#16 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:44 AM

For cons, it's easy.

Vic brought money. That's why they turned an eye, or took special measures about it instead of bringing it to light.

For women, well. "Why didn't you come forward?". Would you have believed them any more if they had then? Vic had clout. Jamie Marchi was starting out.

But I'd like to see facts presented that aren't just twits.

Signed affidavits. We are well past tweets.

Don't be obtuse.

There's even a signed affidavit from Vic's recent ex.

#17 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19747 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:30 AM

The affidavit from Vics ex shows emails that say that he cheated on her. That is scummy but not even in the ballpark of the accusations. A lot of the rest are he said she said.

Regardless, affidavits arent worth much more than tweets. All they show is that a person went up to a lawyer and affirmed that they said something. affidavits can and will be crossexamined, albeit not as stringently as in criminal court and they canbe stricken if found to be inadequate or irrelevant.

Even if we assume Vic has clout in the industry, he is still just an anime dubber. Thats even lower than a western cartoon VA monetarily speaking and popularity wise. Why not take him to court or the police instead of twitter if hes such a prolific predator? Something about this story theyre peddling just doesnt smell right.

xOyvpt9.png

#18 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:45 AM

So either a) Vic is a creeper who's interested in sex with fans without really giving a crap if they're of legal age or not or b) sisters lied about being lured to his hotel room where he attempted to proposition them for a threesome, became angry when they refused and still forcibly kissed them on the lips before they could get out, a sophomore in 1989 lied about the sexual advances a then-26-year old Vic did to her, two con staffers coordinated a lie about catching him alone in his hotel room with a few 14-year old girls...

All for the ultimate purpose of... ruining Vic because... I dunno, bitches be crazy?

What is the ultimate goal of this conspiracy?

Let's check the board.

EBD_DaxXoAAehHX.jpg

(yes, this is an actual conspiracy board a Dick Mangina supporter put together. https://twitter.com/...705547640184834 )

EBF36vIWkAAYcut.jpg

Edited by Detour, 04 August 2019 - 01:46 AM.

#19 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:35 AM

All of this sounds like wonderful stuff to be sorted out in a courtroom.

And yes, I would expect this to be sorted out fairly if any woman came forward at the time. Maybe I'm a mindless idealist. After all, I couldn't believe that in this day and age the gender wage gap still exists because companies are still based on an archaic, outmoded, sexist business model, but sure enough, they are, and it does. I'd like to think there's been some progress in the he said/she said argument. Maybe there hasn't.

Maybe there's a whole bunch of information we don't have.

By the by, I'm not being obtuse: I didn't read the whole original post because I generally skip any story that has paragraphs about "___ Tweeted" or "According to a tweet from ___" because, well, I don't consider those real or in any way substantive. I don't consider twitter or facebook useful sources of anything except BS and gossip (if that's not redundant). And that's at best. So yeah, I skipped most of that.

So how about instead of tweeting about being assaulted or abused, you go to the frickin' police and report the hugger? THAT sounds like... oh... I don't know... the CORRECT procedure? The Right way to handle the problem? Something that would lead to a trial and bring out the truth?

Sorry, I know I'm an ignorant, stubborn, pig-headed idealist.

I'll be quiet now.

Edited by Sukoshiko, 04 August 2019 - 02:36 AM.

#20 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19747 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:54 AM

I dunno if this guy is a creep or not but if they're saying that this has been going on for 30 years and involves hundreds of victims and is apparently an open secret yet the only thing they have to show for it are rumors, no police reports or anything, either this guy is the apex predator or they're full of crap. This guy voices over for Japanese cartoons, I highly doubt he can pull a Cosby or Weinstein. 

xOyvpt9.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users