Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 May 2021 - 05:22 PM)

God, it's such a pain to have a local email address shut down. So many accounts to update...

@  Bass X0 : (10 May 2021 - 04:43 PM)

"Let's make a bargain, shall we? You ask Primus for help and I'll stop the moment He shows up."

@  tigerhawk : (10 May 2021 - 02:56 AM)

The 1988 G1 line up could all have been done as Titan Master things, I figure the Pretenders could be done as Titan Master Drones and Prime Master shells.

@  Cyoti : (08 May 2021 - 11:14 AM)

Perfect is the enemy of the good. And it's still better than making him a remold of RTS Jazz as planned originally. Fact of the matter is: Nightbeat is just not a priority with Hasbro.

@  Demovere Xeno : (08 May 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Generations Nightbeat never really scratched that itch sadly; he looked okay, but his transformation was fiddly, his robot mode had far too many bits and pieces flopping around unsecured, and his chest dragged along the surface in var mode. =/

@  Demovere Xeno : (08 May 2021 - 08:57 AM)

I second wishing that we got a Deluxe Nightbeat from TR, mostly because as a kid he was second-in-command to my old Powermaster Optimus for the longest time. =P

@  tigerhawk : (08 May 2021 - 05:41 AM)

Wipe Out and Wilder it coulda been: Wipe Out is down in the dumps because the Scramble City Trypticon was destroyed and left him a drifting to the point he arrives in Legends World, he finds Wilder and both go on a crime spree subverted by their realisation neither gets any joy from it until they stop a violent crook together and become anti heroes. (Bass XO beat me!)

@  Bass X0 : (08 May 2021 - 05:39 AM)

Yes, Nightbeat and Siren would have been easy remolds of Chromedome - just give them new chests and each other's Titan Master heads. Fangry and Squeezeplay would be remolded from Twinferno with their own Titan Master heads. And Horri-Bull would have been remolded from Wolfwire.

@  Rycochet : (07 May 2021 - 05:10 PM)

Surprised we didn't get a full size retool from the monsterbot mold. I'd rather have a CW Ironhide retool though, we need a van Wilder.

@  tigerhawk : (07 May 2021 - 04:19 PM)

I just noticed Wilder was the only omission from Takara Legends.

@  Nevermore : (07 May 2021 - 06:01 AM)

Even more weirdly, it was the early shift where some people had their regular day off for the week, while the late shift was supposed to have full attendance (not counting sick days, vacations and overtime reduction).

@  Nevermore : (07 May 2021 - 01:15 AM)

The weirdest part was that there was a steady influx of voters during the early shift, while hardly anyone showed up during the late shift.

@  Nevermore : (07 May 2021 - 01:14 AM)

Wow, that was a long day. But it's over, and I finally got some sleep. Not particularly happy with the outcome, but then again, my candidates both admit they didn't really campaign that much.

@  Echowarrior : (06 May 2021 - 08:56 PM)

Best of luck, Nevermore.

@  wonko the sane? : (06 May 2021 - 10:18 AM)

Best of luck man.

@  electricidad : (05 May 2021 - 03:22 PM)

GOOD LUCK, NEVERMORE!

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:14 PM)

The election committee whose chairman I am has been preparing this election since February. There's no real gain for me either way, so I don't care that much for the outcome, but it's going to be a stressful day for me either way.

@  Nevermore : (05 May 2021 - 03:13 PM)

Wish me luck. Tomorrow is this year's supervisory board election at my workplace, and I'm the guy in charge of organizing the election.

@  tigerhawk : (05 May 2021 - 01:30 PM)

I have two Overlords one was faulty with a melted foot and they never took it back but replaced it, I just checked the guns, both the handles seem to be turning white.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 May 2021 - 07:38 PM)

REVELATION! Towering war machines more durable than nerd!

@  Telly : (04 May 2021 - 07:18 PM)

pansy. my trypticon AND scorponok took a header from 4 feet up and only had parts pop off that were easily reattached. guess 'cons are tougher...

@  tigerhawk : (04 May 2021 - 04:03 PM)

My TR Perceptor fell and the titan master peg in the leg snapped off. Fortunately I have the Legends one.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 May 2021 - 08:50 PM)

It's a fairly well known fact that "it's a wonderful life" only became popular after it dropped into the public domain. So, yeah, they probably did.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (02 May 2021 - 08:29 PM)

I read an interesting observation on Twitter. If it is the natural course of a human to grow into Grandpa Abe yelling at a cloud, but nostalgia also yields rose-tinted glasses for the likes of one's youth, then did Greatest Generation adults bemoan how Baby Boomer children loved box office flops such as The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life?

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 May 2021 - 09:54 AM)

You’re traveling down a rabbit hole I dare not follow

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:26 AM)

At the same time, with my almost non-existent knowledge of Japanese and how oddly some things translate, seeing "Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges" made me wonder if that would make it "JoJoJo"... which now has my brain terrified of a weird Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Crossover. @[email protected]

@  Otaku : (02 May 2021 - 09:24 AM)

It is always weird when things align.  This talk of Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges in the SquawkBox reminded me of King Gorgeous Gorge on the FoxBox.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 May 2021 - 08:52 PM)

Nice

@  Nevermore : (01 May 2021 - 09:03 AM)

I got one even better: After that character by the name of Gorgeous Giorgios dies in a gorge, they name that whole area after him: The Gorgeous Giorgios Gorges.

@  tigerhawk : (30 April 2021 - 01:56 AM)

Paint apps did slide notably during TR, wave one's Titan Masters had detail but wave 2 onwards was absent of them. Wave 5's Ramhorn, Dreadnaut, Scorchfire and Aimless had detail but Murk and Hazard didn't, can't speak for Flameout as I got Legends Twintwist and Slugslinger.

@  kizudarake : (29 April 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Anyone here got any g1 jet fire parts for sale?

@  wonko the sane? : (29 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Other than a few overly tight joints, the paints apps are my single complaint about the generations line.

@  tigerhawk : (29 April 2021 - 02:25 PM)

I just saw Legends Leo Prime now I wish Titans Return Alpha Trion had a few more paint apps for ship mode.

@  walruslaw : (28 April 2021 - 09:33 PM)

dagrimbo

@  CORVUS : (27 April 2021 - 08:11 PM)

Indeed.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 April 2021 - 04:59 PM)

CORVUS: considering that reply, I'm pretty sure this was just another instance of Bass posting poorly-defined drivel as if it were profound.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 April 2021 - 04:24 PM)

Given the last year and a half or so, is it any surprise?

@  Bass X0 : (27 April 2021 - 04:12 PM)

People are snapping already it seems.

@  Kaon : (27 April 2021 - 12:15 PM)

I like the Shattered Glass Megatron's alt mode

@  CORVUS : (26 April 2021 - 07:30 PM)

I'd like to know what society he's talking about, and what qualifies as "nothing", TBH.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 05:09 PM)

I don't see the point in such a poorly defined "everyone is terrible" statement. He's not complaining about any specific people or specific problems.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 April 2021 - 05:06 PM)

I do not see anything about Bass's comment that felt a need for you to attack him.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (26 April 2021 - 04:35 PM)

Bass: does that "everyone" include yourself or are you just trying to act like you're better than everybody without actually proving anything?

@  wonko the sane? : (26 April 2021 - 04:10 PM)

Mostly it's "oh, don't say that right now" and "better learn when to duck".

@  Bass X0 : (26 April 2021 - 04:05 PM)

There's something to be said about society when everyones just an inch away from snapping over nothing.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 April 2021 - 02:17 PM)

WalMart is a cruel mistress. Today she runneth over...tommorrow, she'll be barren as a desert.

@  -LittleAutob... : (26 April 2021 - 12:21 PM)

I love Wal-mart now- They have way more Transformers figures than Target- last night I came home with a WFC Authentic Wheeljack even though I was torn between wanting TFP Arcee and TF: The Movie Blurr, two figures I have never ever seen before-

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Spelling intended lol

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 April 2021 - 10:29 AM)

Curious Geogore

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2021 - 07:54 AM)

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me Giorgio"

Photo

Zeta Toys ZV-02 Core Star (Unicron)

165 replies to this topic

#141 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 20357 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

Eh, quite a few people complained that he was too big. I was not one of them.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#142 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12748 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

He does look fantastic. I wish they'd been able to deal with swapping out the panels on the arms, but otherwise I'm sorely tempted to pick him up.

#143 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3977 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:55 PM

I'm not sure that I would ever transform it. Feeling better about my decision to go Haslab.

#144 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 20357 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

Yeah. This would've been amazing at the originally theorized price point. I would've bought him just to keep in planet mode. He still does look good over all, but not good enough for the price when I have the official version coming.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#145 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12748 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:16 AM

Yeah. This would've been amazing at the originally theorized price point. I would've bought him just to keep in planet mode. He still does look good over all, but not good enough for the price when I have the official version coming.

There are pre-orders for the second run at £230, which is pretty much the original price point.

It's going to be a difficult conversation with the partner about the delivery of two giant Unicron toys within a few months of each other but there you go.

#146 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 3112 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

You could hand one over and say "Happy Anniversary!"  though depending on who you're with it might not hurt to have scoped out some short term rentals ahead of time.

#147 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32432 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:50 PM

Now, I don't buy a whole lot of 3rd party TF toys, and even though I'm still getting the official Planet class Unicron when it gets released, after seeing how impressive this Studio 01 Cell is in both capturing Unicron's likeness and transforming into a fully round sphere with absolutely no backpack whatsoever, I had to try seeing if I could get it.

When the preorders went up and had everyone wary of the price, I too was hesitant. Luckily, I knew where to search for more options. By ordering this guy from Action Robo, I paid about a hundred dollars less for this thing than I would have had to pay had I ordered it from a domestic retailer like TFSource. Though, the shipping wasn't cheap, but it still proved the more cost effective option since the total cost was still about 55 dollars cheaper than the domestic e-tailer price, and that's even before domestic shipping.

Anyway, mine arrive yesterday and I opened it today. In robot mode, he is ENORMOUS. Well, not quite the height of a Titan class cityformer, but still pretty impressive. As shown in the YouTube review of this figure by Bobby Skullface, he's about an inch shorter than the Zeta Toys not-Superion. And is surprisingly more solid in this mode than I thought it would be. In this mode, he is loaded with articulation and detail, both painted and sculpted, some of which can even be found in certain parts of the figure that are only exposed during the transformation process, as in, this extra detail is not supposed to be seen in either mode. It's also rather heavy, having diecast shoulder joints and foot supports (the big spikes that jut from the sides of his feet).

The colors are pretty nice, but the panels on his torso and waist, the ones with the circles on them, seem to have had their colors inverted from how they're traditionalyl colored in most artwork of Unicron. Instead of the panels being white/silver/gray with the circles being blue, the panels are a light blue and the circles are silver/gray. It's not a deal-breaker, but still stands out as an oddity, considering just how much of the rest of this figure captures Unicron's resemblance so well. If anything, I'm hoping this doesn't give them an excuse to rerelease this figure in a more accurate deco, cuz I am not paying the money for a second one.

Planet mode is very round and very compact. Like, it's just so small when compared to how gigantic the robot mode is. It's really not all that much bigger than the Armada Unicron mold's planet mode. It's all due to about 80% of the robot mode parts folding out to form the round planet shell, made up of so many pieces of all shapes and sizes. The planet's maw does open with its individual triangle pieces, but the inside of the mouth is pretty unsightly since the robot mode head is just right there sitting inside it. The attachable maw pieces that cover the openable maw look much nicer, but on my copy, they don't seem to want to attach properly.

With both modes out of the way, now comes the transformation. Good gravy, the transformation! This... This process is the dictionary definition of the phrase "Not Fun", translated into ten different languages and all back into English. An absolute nightmare, this is one of the worst, most unpleasant transformation processes I have ever experienced, and I say this having not yet experienced MP-44 Convoy at this time. There are just so many little pieces that have to go in just the right places to make the planet mode work, most of which require some really frustrating panel massaging that fought me every step of the way. It took me at least an hour to get through the transformation the first time around, and a little less than that when going back to robot mode from planet mode. But, when doing the reverse process, the tabs that hold the legs in place inside the planet mode are just so strong that I had to use my full strength to get them un-tabbed, leaving no margin for caution or carefulness. This transformation is pure, unforgiving masochism in plastic form.

Among the accessories included with the figure are some blue panels that can be swapped out with some of the arms' orange panels to make for a more accurately-colored planet mode, as those particular orange arm panels end up in spots on the planet mode that should be colored blue. The ones on his lower arms can be easily slid off some pegs to let the blue ones replace them, but the panels on his shoulders can only be removed by... forcing out the pins connecting them to the shoulders. Yes, this figure's instructions for swapping out these pieces actually want you get out your toolbox tools to remove some pins. That is ridiculous. As if the normal transformation wasn't bad enough. I only swapped out the panels on the lower arms and just left the shoulder ones alone. I am NOT going to take the time to remove any pins on this figure.

My figure also had one of its planet horns bent at the tip, due to how it was stored inside the torso in robot mode.

There's also this odd little feature with the robot mode's abs (both the front and back ones) that allows them to fold down and open during the transformation, but for seemingly no purpose at all since those parts are never touched during the transformation. They can't fold down in robot mode and are hidden away inside the planet mode, so it's just the oddest thing.

Overall, I like this figure and am glad to have it. The robot mode is stunning and there are some clever methods used to get a very round planet mode, but that process to get one into the other is just abysmal.

Edited by Sabrblade, 02 December 2020 - 09:56 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#148 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27978 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:48 PM

This... This process is the dictionary definition of the phrase "Not Fun", translated into ten different languages and all back into English.

Sequentially, so it turns into "rare the delicious" or some nonsense like that?

Yes I know it's broken. It's an HTTPS thing and I haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.

#149 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 3112 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

"Drive the Pin of the Unicorn into Agony.  Spin, then Seeth.  Rip. Tear.  Massage Gently.  Have a Ball!" -from the instructions as I understood them.

#150 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50515 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

Rip and tear until it is converted.

#151 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 24922 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:52 AM

I'm just reminded of

#152 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12748 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:40 AM

I got mine this week, that £230 was too good a price.

I haven't even had time to try and transform him yet in the Christmas rush to be honest, but god he's spectacular looking in robot mode. Between this and the size of the Haslab version, I think I'm done with needing Unicron toys.

#153 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 32432 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:41 AM

I haven't even had time to try and transform him yet

I'll light a candle for you.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#154 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 12748 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

I haven't even had time to try and transform him yet

I'll light a candle for you.

I only bled once.

It wasn't that bad tbh. I think when I've got the arms figured out a bit better it'll be fine. He probably needs the tabs on the pieces of knee skirt filed down though, which I'm surprised wasn't fixed for the second run.

#155 PrimalxConvoy

PrimalxConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:50 PM

You know, although I'm not into partsforming, shell-formers or non-transforming TF figures as a rule of thumb, I might be interested in a cheap, huge Unicron that folded up into a cube-esque shape and then could be stored inside his planet mode. Easy "transformation", both modes can be displayed at once and/or the lack of engineering required could result in a cheaper/larger figure overall.

Do you think such a thing works be popular?
GS20210403221043.gif

#156 Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

I live to serve

• Administrator
  • 10764 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:12 PM

So like a big Pretender shell?  I guess that could work.  I was never really into Pretenders, but this would be a different use of the technology that would make a lot of sense.

#157 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 20357 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

You know, although I'm not into partsforming, shell-formers or non-transforming TF figures as a rule of thumb, I might be interested in a cheap, huge Unicron that folded up into a cube-esque shape and then could be stored inside his planet mode. Easy "transformation", both modes can be displayed at once and/or the lack of engineering required could result in a cheaper/larger figure overall.

Do you think such a thing works be popular?

The Haslab Unicron can almost do this now. I do wonder if a 3P will come up with a simple inner support and some gap fillers to finish off the planet mode.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#158 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 15030 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:21 AM

This has honestly been a very impressive design, and there's a lot I like about it. Sizewise it also fits in the collection better since for things that are already this big, scale is out the window as a concern. Transformation, well, I'll probably only transform this once just to see. Maybe once annually if that. 3P transformations tend to be not fun.

But there are Titans to also dedicate room to, and I have much less of than than ever, so I'm afraid this isn't going on my list anytime soon.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#159 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 4855 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:50 PM

Does anyone have some leads on the cheapest place to find this guy? He's $400 now on ShowZ, and almost half that on RobotoyBase but the shipping makes up the difference. Ebay looks even worse.

I'll probably have to finally give up on him if I can't find anything better. Really wish I'd been able to get in on those cheap early pre-orders at the beginning  :(

#160 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 6047 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:08 AM

Does anyone have some leads on the cheapest place to find this guy? He's $400 now on ShowZ, and almost half that on RobotoyBase but the shipping makes up the difference. Ebay looks even worse.
I'll probably have to finally give up on him if I can't find anything better. Really wish I'd been able to get in on those cheap early pre-orders at the beginning  :(

Terry TF Club, free shipping to US $349 work for you?
https://www.terrytfs...products/01cell
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users