Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

Photo
- - - - -

Cats (2019)

105 replies to this topic

#61 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6348 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

Hobbes, you traitor. :(
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#62 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

So, wait, according to your post there

This is Vincent
2589a6073f46daa99c9fab27ec10eaf1--thrill

This is Michael Jackson
8234f9cecbeede955efb945f062abf39.jpg

Doctor Who cats
Cat_Woman.jpg

And this is a stripper
67fcc2cd9f0030c9d1219e8442fbe1c8.jpg

No Vincent is Ron Perlman, Werecat is Michael Jackson, the stripper is that three breasted cat person from Star Trek V and the cat person with blue eyes is from Doctor Who.

Edited by Egon1982, 23 July 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#63 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8598 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

after seeing the pics posted here, I must admit that I am bewildered that they kept the human noses. They would still look weird as hug but if you are CGI'ing that much of their body already you might as well do the noses as well.

#64 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3367 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

Fetish movie

#65 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Blink

Nice to see a movie for the furry community.

I feel like you covered that, man. X ]

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#66 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

Sorry. I just had to say it somewhat out loud.

#67 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8598 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

Furry community wants none of what this movie is a offering.

#68 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36021 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Anyone else go to see this? A group of us went to see it this weekend. Having never seen the musical, it was entirely new to me.

I'm tempted to say it wasn't half bad? Certainly not as horrible as I had thought after the trailer first dropped. It clicked for me as I watched that the point was not to deliver a complex plot or whatever, it was more about being a vehicle for the music, movement, and spectacle.

#69 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14825 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

I want to, but no one else I know IRL is interested.

#70 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, we kinda walked out with a general sense of "that's what they've all been on about?". At the level of the script, it's a series of incredibly cutesy songs by cats telling us their life stories. In the visuals, it's singing and dancing people in CG costumes, and there's no chance for an uncanny effect because they don't let you forget that it's CG makeup. There's a lot of sexy posing and swooning and hissing, but I kind of expect that from theater adaptations?

Also must be said: Mungojerrie, trans icon

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#71 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7698 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

I have some friends who saw it and were outraged by the sweeping alterations made to the plot and characters of the original musical, about which they inexplicably care apparently. The one "good" song is given to the wrong cat and then suddenly makes no sense, or something.

It's interesting that even the people who made it didn't care enough about it to keep their eyes on Judy Dench's species-shifting hand, or whatever.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#72 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34939 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

I have been aware of the musical for 30 years and knew the showstopper song, but I never saw the show until it came to a nearby city in the fall.  I'd heard that the film was coming by then, of course.  But after seeing the musical and seeing the movie trailers, I little by little lost interest in the movie.  My wife actually asked if I wanted to go the other day when we had a few hours with childcare covered and we saw Frozen 2 instead.

#73 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4004 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

I have been aware of the musical for 30 years and knew the showstopper song, but I never saw the show until it came to a nearby city in the fall.  I'd heard that the film was coming by then, of course.  But after seeing the musical and seeing the movie trailers, I little by little lost interest in the movie.  My wife actually asked if I wanted to go the other day when we had a few hours with childcare covered and we saw Frozen 2 instead.

Sounds like you gave it the cold shoulder!

A video I saw earlier on today about this film, pretty much makes the conclusion that there was studio medling and impossible time frame:

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#74 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

It's interesting that even the people who made it didn't care enough about it to keep their eyes on Judy Dench's species-shifting hand, or whatever.

It's really not. Everyone desperately wants something to say about this weird horny movie because it's weird and horny, so there's a market for the story, and you're sure as hell not going to find something to say about the plot because there isn't one.

In reality, the furry business on the hands for everyone is pretty subtle, their fur colors are often based roughly on skin colors, and Old Deuteronomy has a big fur coat on that isolates her already pretty normal-looking hands. They're mostly just slightly tawnier.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 07 January 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#75 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

#76 Hg Dragon

Hg Dragon

Eyelaser Ninja Pirate

• Citizen
  • 2698 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Paging Admiral S'rrel.

AUjAkto.jpg

They let the Kilrathi join the Federation? Biff Tannen and Luke Skywalker will not be pleased...

#77 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11759 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Caitians.

There's a joke in one of the New Frontier books about how they're constantly either seceding from or rejoining the Federation (see, 'cause if they're in they want out, and if they're out they want in. . . ).

#78 blueskyscribe

blueskyscribe
  • Citizen
  • 267 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

I saw Cats 2019 and it was soooo bad.  I had a great time.  I seriously think this will gain a cult following like "The Room."  My only regret is I didn't see the ORIGINAL Cats 2019 where the CGI was really badly aligned.

Y'all have probably already heard about some of the weirder elements of the movie, like anthromorphic cats eating anthromorphic cockroaches who have human faces.  But even putting that aside, I felt the director didn't understand the musical.  Which is weird because it's not a complicated musical.

Like Grizabella is young and hot now, even though a major aspect of her character is that she's old and ragged.  Like, just age up the actress with makeup.  Or, this might sound crazy, but hire an older actress.

There are also some really terrible decisions in HOW the movie was shot.  Boy oh boy, this director loves close-shots.  Boy oh boy, those are not what you should use in a musical where like 60% of the appeal is the choreography.  Just set the camera DOWN, let it FOCUS, and let me watch the horrific cat people DANCE.

Other sins:

- Constantly cutting to close shots of Dame Judi Dench looking lustful during Sir Ian Mckellan's song, even though the song is supposed to be sad.

- Constantly cutting to close shots of Victoria during Memory, while Jennifer Hudson is singing.  Very distracting and weird.

- The whole point of Memory is that the previously bitchy cats are moved by Grizabella's song, so they gradually turn towards her / gain empathy / accept her.  So really this song should not have a lot of close shots anyway, even of Jennifer Hudson.  The camera should be back far enough that we can see the reactions of the other cats.  But this director loves his close-shots.

Sidenote:  it was very weird that they added speaking scenes to the movie yet do not say the name of the grey tabby narrator, ever.  He's a main character!  Just have someone say "Hiya MUNKUSTRAP", that's all you have to do.

The other thing I noticed was . . . Okay, in the musical, sometimes a song will be ABOUT a cat, but THAT cat isn't singing.  Like the Mister Misofelees song is sung by Rum Tum Tugger.  Whereas in the movie, if the song is about a cat, that cat is singing it.  But this leads to some instances of "Uhhh, would that character say that about HIMSELF, though?"

Prime example of this is the Gus song, again. 

Gus is a very old cat who was a well-known actor a long time ago.  He longs for the good old days when he was young and hale and could do what he loved.  So it's in-character for Gus to sing about how "with an hour of rehearsal I couldn't fail."  It's NOT in-character for him to sing about how he has "palsy that makes his paws shake" or how "he isn't the cat that he was in his prime".   But they gave Ian Mckellan all those lines anyway.  This one especially kills me because Ian Mckellan was giving it 110%, but between the lyric choices and the close-ups of lustful Dame Judi Dench, they ruined his song.

For contrast, here's the version of the song from the 1998(?) VHS version:

https://www.youtube....h?v=HCFZgLWdjFI

https://www.youtube....h?v=PcyKmho6MgM

You can see how he actually tries to hide his hands when the "makes his paws shake" line comes up.  (That's Sir John Mills, age 90 at the time.)

#79 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51652 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

So is that where the strength of reaction is coming from, people who had somehow managed to take the stage show that this movie is based on seriously...?

#80 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34939 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

I agree with both of you.  It is nonsense for Grizabella not to be old, because it is the whole point of her story and it is also nonsense to take the musical seriously.  I don't know where that leaves me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users