Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (12 January 2021 - 12:10 PM)

My Super Collection Megatron always had two left legs and I just discovered my Thrilling 30 Crosscut has two right hips.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Fortunately, it's only Netflix Hound, so not really much of a loss here.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:55 PM)

So it's been a while since I've had a misassembled Transformers toy.

@  Echowarrior : (11 January 2021 - 10:02 AM)

More Micromasters would be welcome.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 January 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Instructions unclear, have more sports cars.

@  tigerhawk : (11 January 2021 - 01:57 AM)

Or they could make the other Micromasters of the teams they half assed.

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 January 2021 - 11:20 PM)

There should be a box set of eight Stakeouts.

@  Bass X0 : (10 January 2021 - 08:27 PM)

There should be a box-set of Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet. But I'm not expecting it.

@  Nevermore : (10 January 2021 - 07:51 PM)

I hope there are re-releases this year!

@  tigerhawk : (10 January 2021 - 03:59 PM)

I hope there's rereleases of Earthrise Ramjet, Dirge and Ratchet next year.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 January 2021 - 07:51 AM)

Oh no, he was loved. I'd argue he could have had a better life physically, but he was loved. Deeply.

@  Telly : (08 January 2021 - 01:42 AM)

as long s/he gave love and was loved, it was a good life

@  Echowarrior : (07 January 2021 - 11:10 PM)

Poor puppy. Poor kid.

@  CORVUS : (07 January 2021 - 03:04 PM)

My condolences :(

@  wonko the sane? : (07 January 2021 - 10:45 AM)

So: My sisters dog just had a heart attack and died... while her 12 year old son was walking him. Welcome to 2021 everybody!

@  Dekafox : (04 January 2021 - 07:24 PM)

Except they're Deceptican'ts usually.

@  Devcon : (04 January 2021 - 05:17 PM)

Depending on which dub: Either Decepticons or Decepticans.

@  Bass X0 : (04 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Deception is the French word for disappointment. What does that make the Decepticons in France?

@  Echowarrior : (03 January 2021 - 11:29 PM)

We're just tiny little specks, about the size of Mickey Rooney.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 January 2021 - 04:33 PM)

It's a great big universe, and we're all really puny.

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, a sun that is the source of all our power

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour.

@  TM2-Megatron : (02 January 2021 - 11:57 PM)

relative to the speed that it's swirling around the centre of the galaxy, its rotation is fairly slow

@  PlutoniumBoss : (02 January 2021 - 09:31 PM)

I'd like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 January 2021 - 07:21 PM)

The Earth moving gave us 2021.

@  ▲ndrusi : (02 January 2021 - 10:50 AM)

It does that.

@  tigerhawk : (02 January 2021 - 10:11 AM)

I think the Earth is moving.

@  Nevermore : (02 January 2021 - 06:35 AM)

Sunday evenings are awesome. Looking at the clock at 8 PM and thinking "I still have plenty of time before going to bed..."

@  Nevermore : (02 January 2021 - 06:33 AM)

Now I've been working permanent late shift for almost three years. Don't regret it one bit. One of the rare cases where the needs of the company overlap with my own preferences.

@  Nevermore : (02 January 2021 - 06:32 AM)

Before the permanent late shift was introduced three years ago (which I volunteered for as soon as the form became available), I always tended to plan my vacation for early shift weeks. Since the majority of the people in most departments prefer to work early shift and thus tended to plan their vacation for late shift weeks, there were usually enough slots available for me to get my request fulfilled.

@  TM2-Megatron : (01 January 2021 - 05:26 PM)

I was promoted last December, so this past year is my first with the company where I've been able to get whatever vacation I wanted. Instead of competing with 100 other people, there's now only 1 (out of 3 others who share my job) that's been in the building longer than me, and so has first dibs at weeks. It's pretty easy to work it out between ourselves before we give in our requests, though

@  TM2-Megatron : (01 January 2021 - 05:24 PM)

But there's also departments to consider, since we have a varieity of types of machines and not everyone is qualified to run everything. Altogether, there are a lot of ways you can get screwed

@  TM2-Megatron : (01 January 2021 - 05:21 PM)

So a few of the same rules, a few different ones. For regular employees, requests need to be in by January 15th. If they are, those are doled out based on seniority. You're only guaranteed 2 weeks in "prime time" (basically June, July, August). Anything submitted after January 15th is given out first come, first served based on availability

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (01 January 2021 - 02:39 PM)

So who said "Jumanji!"?

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 January 2021 - 08:20 AM)

I knew a woman at Target who was forced to use up her vacation time before she could qualify for maternity leave. Then they denied the leave because she technically hadn't been at work for two weeks beforehand.

@  Nevermore : (01 January 2021 - 04:21 AM)

Also, if you become sick during your vacation and you turn in a doctor's sick note, it means that you don't lose your vacation days, because according to the law, vacation is intended for recreation, not for recovery from sickness or injury.

@  Nevermore : (01 January 2021 - 04:00 AM)

Another priority is "vacation request for the next year turned in before the deadline". Like, you missed the deadline, you have to make do with what's left.

@  Nevermore : (01 January 2021 - 03:59 AM)

No, they prioritize vacation during school holidays for employees with school-age children. Also, only three of the six weeks during the summer holidays per employee so a larger number of employees can get their requests fulfilled.

@  TM2-Megatron : (31 December 2020 - 08:14 PM)

like, not company-wide, obviously, but by facility

@  TM2-Megatron : (31 December 2020 - 08:14 PM)

That's actually not bad at all for such a large company. Do they prioritize vacation by seniority?

@  Nevermore : (31 December 2020 - 08:11 PM)

In my nine years with Amazon, only one of my vacation requests (not counting requests for single days) has ever been denied (with an alternate option offered for a mere week later). It might have helped that I have always tended to plan my vacation against the grain.

@  Nevermore : (31 December 2020 - 08:06 PM)

We also have a legally guaranteed minimum of at least 24 vacation days per year, and the law mandates that the vacation should be granted in one stretch "unless urgent reasons on behalf of the company or the individual employee make it necessary to split up the vacation". The most common valid "urgent reason on behalf of the company" would be "multiple employees have requested their vacation days for the same period, so the employer has to organize everyone's vacation grants equally".

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 December 2020 - 02:50 PM)

Most places run with the bare minimum amount of staff they think they can get away with. So if one key person is out, they're in trouble. Hence, they don't like letting people take vacations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (31 December 2020 - 10:35 AM)

Here in the US... you're honestly likely to get fired for taking vacation.

@  Nevermore : (31 December 2020 - 05:31 AM)

Here in Germany, employers are usually very eager to remind you to take all your vacation days.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 December 2020 - 04:55 PM)

My old job made it ridiculously obtuse just putting in a request for vacation, gave me a hard time for daring to use my PTO, but also gave me a hard time for NOT using my PTO. That they didn't want me to use anyway.

@  Otaku : (30 December 2020 - 03:57 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I'm assuming it is the kind of job where they get in trouble if you don't use your vacation time, but where it is (at best) inconvenient when you do.  Though there's always room for some, most, or all of management to just be jerks. ;)

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 December 2020 - 07:40 AM)

My old job got mad if you took vacation, then would get mad if you didnt.

@  TM2-Megatron : (28 December 2020 - 05:02 PM)

Have no choice but to be off, though. Because of COVID I've hardly taken any vacation all year, and they don't like us carrying over more than a few days (technically we're not supposed to carry any over, but our manager is kinda easygoing). So I had to burn through most of my 4 weeks vacation in Oct,Nov and Dec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (28 December 2020 - 05:00 PM)

I didn't really celebrate Christmas at all this year, as I live alone and can't work from home, and so I'm keeping my distance from family/friends

Photo
- - - - -

Cats (2019)

105 replies to this topic

#61 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6379 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

Hobbes, you traitor. :(
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#62 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 344 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

So, wait, according to your post there

This is Vincent
2589a6073f46daa99c9fab27ec10eaf1--thrill

This is Michael Jackson
8234f9cecbeede955efb945f062abf39.jpg

Doctor Who cats
Cat_Woman.jpg

And this is a stripper
67fcc2cd9f0030c9d1219e8442fbe1c8.jpg

No Vincent is Ron Perlman, Werecat is Michael Jackson, the stripper is that three breasted cat person from Star Trek V and the cat person with blue eyes is from Doctor Who.

Edited by Egon1982, 23 July 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#63 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8659 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

after seeing the pics posted here, I must admit that I am bewildered that they kept the human noses. They would still look weird as hug but if you are CGI'ing that much of their body already you might as well do the noses as well.

#64 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3428 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

Fetish movie

#65 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52414 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Blink

Nice to see a movie for the furry community.

I feel like you covered that, man. X ]

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#66 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3428 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

Sorry. I just had to say it somewhat out loud.

#67 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8659 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:14 PM

Furry community wants none of what this movie is a offering.

#68 Patch

Patch
  • Retired Staff
  • 36417 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Anyone else go to see this? A group of us went to see it this weekend. Having never seen the musical, it was entirely new to me.

I'm tempted to say it wasn't half bad? Certainly not as horrible as I had thought after the trailer first dropped. It clicked for me as I watched that the point was not to deliver a complex plot or whatever, it was more about being a vehicle for the music, movement, and spectacle.

#69 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 15408 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

I want to, but no one else I know IRL is interested.

#70 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52414 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, we kinda walked out with a general sense of "that's what they've all been on about?". At the level of the script, it's a series of incredibly cutesy songs by cats telling us their life stories. In the visuals, it's singing and dancing people in CG costumes, and there's no chance for an uncanny effect because they don't let you forget that it's CG makeup. There's a lot of sexy posing and swooning and hissing, but I kind of expect that from theater adaptations?

Also must be said: Mungojerrie, trans icon

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#71 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8104 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

I have some friends who saw it and were outraged by the sweeping alterations made to the plot and characters of the original musical, about which they inexplicably care apparently. The one "good" song is given to the wrong cat and then suddenly makes no sense, or something.

It's interesting that even the people who made it didn't care enough about it to keep their eyes on Judy Dench's species-shifting hand, or whatever.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#72 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35395 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

I have been aware of the musical for 30 years and knew the showstopper song, but I never saw the show until it came to a nearby city in the fall.  I'd heard that the film was coming by then, of course.  But after seeing the musical and seeing the movie trailers, I little by little lost interest in the movie.  My wife actually asked if I wanted to go the other day when we had a few hours with childcare covered and we saw Frozen 2 instead.

#73 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4422 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

I have been aware of the musical for 30 years and knew the showstopper song, but I never saw the show until it came to a nearby city in the fall.  I'd heard that the film was coming by then, of course.  But after seeing the musical and seeing the movie trailers, I little by little lost interest in the movie.  My wife actually asked if I wanted to go the other day when we had a few hours with childcare covered and we saw Frozen 2 instead.

Sounds like you gave it the cold shoulder!

A video I saw earlier on today about this film, pretty much makes the conclusion that there was studio medling and impossible time frame:

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#74 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52414 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

It's interesting that even the people who made it didn't care enough about it to keep their eyes on Judy Dench's species-shifting hand, or whatever.

It's really not. Everyone desperately wants something to say about this weird horny movie because it's weird and horny, so there's a market for the story, and you're sure as hell not going to find something to say about the plot because there isn't one.

In reality, the furry business on the hands for everyone is pretty subtle, their fur colors are often based roughly on skin colors, and Old Deuteronomy has a big fur coat on that isolates her already pretty normal-looking hands. They're mostly just slightly tawnier.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 07 January 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#75 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

#76 Hg Dragon

Hg Dragon

Eyelaser Ninja Pirate

• Citizen
  • 2717 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Paging Admiral S'rrel.

AUjAkto.jpg

They let the Kilrathi join the Federation? Biff Tannen and Luke Skywalker will not be pleased...

#77 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11996 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Caitians.

There's a joke in one of the New Frontier books about how they're constantly either seceding from or rejoining the Federation (see, 'cause if they're in they want out, and if they're out they want in. . . ).

#78 blueskyscribe

blueskyscribe
  • Citizen
  • 300 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

I saw Cats 2019 and it was soooo bad.  I had a great time.  I seriously think this will gain a cult following like "The Room."  My only regret is I didn't see the ORIGINAL Cats 2019 where the CGI was really badly aligned.

Y'all have probably already heard about some of the weirder elements of the movie, like anthromorphic cats eating anthromorphic cockroaches who have human faces.  But even putting that aside, I felt the director didn't understand the musical.  Which is weird because it's not a complicated musical.

Like Grizabella is young and hot now, even though a major aspect of her character is that she's old and ragged.  Like, just age up the actress with makeup.  Or, this might sound crazy, but hire an older actress.

There are also some really terrible decisions in HOW the movie was shot.  Boy oh boy, this director loves close-shots.  Boy oh boy, those are not what you should use in a musical where like 60% of the appeal is the choreography.  Just set the camera DOWN, let it FOCUS, and let me watch the horrific cat people DANCE.

Other sins:

- Constantly cutting to close shots of Dame Judi Dench looking lustful during Sir Ian Mckellan's song, even though the song is supposed to be sad.

- Constantly cutting to close shots of Victoria during Memory, while Jennifer Hudson is singing.  Very distracting and weird.

- The whole point of Memory is that the previously bitchy cats are moved by Grizabella's song, so they gradually turn towards her / gain empathy / accept her.  So really this song should not have a lot of close shots anyway, even of Jennifer Hudson.  The camera should be back far enough that we can see the reactions of the other cats.  But this director loves his close-shots.

Sidenote:  it was very weird that they added speaking scenes to the movie yet do not say the name of the grey tabby narrator, ever.  He's a main character!  Just have someone say "Hiya MUNKUSTRAP", that's all you have to do.

The other thing I noticed was . . . Okay, in the musical, sometimes a song will be ABOUT a cat, but THAT cat isn't singing.  Like the Mister Misofelees song is sung by Rum Tum Tugger.  Whereas in the movie, if the song is about a cat, that cat is singing it.  But this leads to some instances of "Uhhh, would that character say that about HIMSELF, though?"

Prime example of this is the Gus song, again. 

Gus is a very old cat who was a well-known actor a long time ago.  He longs for the good old days when he was young and hale and could do what he loved.  So it's in-character for Gus to sing about how "with an hour of rehearsal I couldn't fail."  It's NOT in-character for him to sing about how he has "palsy that makes his paws shake" or how "he isn't the cat that he was in his prime".   But they gave Ian Mckellan all those lines anyway.  This one especially kills me because Ian Mckellan was giving it 110%, but between the lyric choices and the close-ups of lustful Dame Judi Dench, they ruined his song.

For contrast, here's the version of the song from the 1998(?) VHS version:

https://www.youtube....h?v=HCFZgLWdjFI

https://www.youtube....h?v=PcyKmho6MgM

You can see how he actually tries to hide his hands when the "makes his paws shake" line comes up.  (That's Sir John Mills, age 90 at the time.)

#79 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Supporter
  • 52414 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

So is that where the strength of reaction is coming from, people who had somehow managed to take the stage show that this movie is based on seriously...?

#80 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 35395 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

I agree with both of you.  It is nonsense for Grizabella not to be old, because it is the whole point of her story and it is also nonsense to take the musical seriously.  I don't know where that leaves me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users