Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

Photo

The Divine Theory

Primus Unicron Multiverse Primacron Quintessons Matrix Beast Era G1

1 reply to this topic

#1 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 113 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:13 AM

This is a theory I cooked up awhile ago to help retcon Unicron and Primus's multiversal origins into fitting with the G1 cartoon's origins for Unicron involving Primacron and Primus's origins involving the Quintessons. This theory is written with the belief that the G1 cartoon, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and all accompanying ancillary media (most prominently the 3H and Universe comic series) are in the same continuous universe. While this is a rather contentious viewpoint for some fans, it is the setting I which nearly all of my Transformers writings are based. Without further ado, I present to you the Divine Theory.

As the universe began and creation simmered after the blinding light of the Big Bang, the laws of the Multiverse took hold and began shaping yet another new reality. As with almost all other universes, the natural balance between good and evil, order and chaos began to shape reality, and with these forces their personified embodimentsPrimus and Unicron. Their consciousnesses existed at first only on the metaphysical astral plane, before creating physical extensions of themselves. Primus, existing across all realities simultaneously, dimensionally landed in this universe as a naturally occurring planet and would go on to become a thriving organic world. Unicron, meanwhile, manipulated the mind of a young scientist named Primacron, one of the first beings in existence. Using Primacron as an instrument for his destruction, Unicron had the impudent organic construct him a body like no other, a sprawling mechanical world, capable of transforming into a body resembling his old divine figure, freeing Unicron from the constraints of a purely metaphysical existence and giving his consciousness form. Drunk on power and eager to begin his malevolent machinations, Unicron failed to notice that Primacron's assistant had become influenced by the will of Primus, who used the being to construct a failsafe device capable of destroying Unicron, using some of Primus's divine power to complete the talisman. Unicron, however, sensed something was amiss in the astral plane, and realized Primus held sway over the assistant. Enraged, the Chaos Bringer sought to eliminate Primacron, his assistant, and the failsafe, though unbeknownst to him, Primacron survived and the talisman was sent hurtling into the void, where it would eventually return to Primus from across the universe. The trauma of having been manipulated by a dark god and facing a near death experience drove Primacron mad, leading to him eventually constructing other diabolical creations, such as the energy draining beast Tornadron (and, if the rumors are true, even the Quintessons, though this may be mere myth).

As time wore on, intelligent life in the universe began to develop and spread. One such group of beings were the Quintessons, a collection of semi-robotic subspecies completely dedicated to manipulation and greed. Unicron, sensing that these beings could be of use to him, made the Quintessons his servants and ordered them to locate the body of Primus so that he may annihilate him. After a time, the Quintessons did indeed find Primus's physical form, a lush organic world of great beauty and serenity. The Quintessons, however, decided that instead of informing their dark master of Primus's whereabouts, they would use the creator god for their own purposes. To that end, the greedy merchants terraformed the organic paradise into a cold, metallic factory world that they dubbed Cybertron. At the heart of this new world, they came across the physical form of Primus's consciousness, the gateway to the Allspark and the astral plane: Vector Sigma. Upon discovering the sentient core of Cybertron, the Quintessons sought to utilize the creative powers of Primus for their own means, and constructed many devices such as the Plasma Energy Chamber and the Oracle to control and isolate Primus, both of which had limited success in the long run. For the time, however, the Quintessons could maintain a fragile control over Vector Sigma by using the Oracle shell program to disconnect Primus from his creations, and thus went about creating their own forms of life, the first of which being the monstrous Trans-Organics. Frighteningly powerful, the abominations were a combination of the natural organic creatures of Cybertron with Quintesson cybernetic technology, resulting in a race of patchwork cyborgs capable of wiping out entire civilizations if left unchecked. These creatures, incapable of being controlled or destroyed, were sealed deep beneath Cybertron's surface and abandoned. The next attempts at creating life by the Quintessons were purely mechanical in nature, with the hope that machines would prove more manageable than the rebellious beasts of old. Their guesses proved correct, and, with the power of the Oracle and Plasma Energy Chamber, the Quintessons created multiple lines of robotic life forms that would become known as the Transformers. With Primus's true consciousness being suppressed by the Oracle, the slave robots were unable to develop true sentience for many eons.

The Quintessons, finally reaching their initial goals, went about selling their mechanical creations to other species, with the main product lines being those of military hardware and domestic robots. At the behest of some buyers who demanded certain "qualities" in their products, both classes of machines were given artificial gender, a factor that continues well into the modern day for Transformer society. At some unknown point in time, however, the ancient talisman Primacron had created landed on Cybertron and fell into the hands of the enslaved robots. This artifact, an extension of Primus and his power, began to instill the robots with life, evolving their artificial intelligences into true sentience. As a result, the talisman became revered by the machines, and was traditionally given to the appointed leader of the slaves, a process that continued for millennia. Now capable of thinking and feeling for themselves, the slaves began to rebel against their Quintesson masters, putting into motion events that would shape the history of the universe, nay, the Multiverse, forever.

Over eleven million years later in the year 2005 CE, Unicron finally located the body of Primus, Cybertron, and stood on the brink of victory against his arch enemy. The only thing standing in his way were Primus's children, the Transformers, who had been in the midst of an age old civil war between the military and domestic branches of their species. The ancient talisman of Primacron, now known as the Matrix of Leadership, was passed down from the leader of the Autobots, the faction of domestic robots, into the hands of a young Autobot named Hot Rod, who had dueled one of Unicron's minions, Galvatron, in the depths of the Chaos Bringer himself. Opening the Matrix and finally activating it's true purpose, and full force of Primus's powers were released within Unicron's physical form, tearing him apart and leaving the dark god once again confined to the astral plane and the severed head of his old body, the only part that survived. Centuries later into the future and the war between the two began once more. In the time before then, Primus helped convert Cybertron into a tranquil balance of organic and mechanical life, reformatting the entire world and it's people into technorganics, and had also played a role in repelling a Quintesson invasion of the newly reformatted world (as well as finally breaking free of the Oracle shell programming, regaining direct contact with his creations).

Unicron, meanwhile, had been abducting forces from across the Multiverse to serve as his minions against the lord of light, and had slowly gone about reforming his old body with the energy of his victim's sparks. Finally, a year after Primus's full return and Unicron's rise to power, the Children of Primus and the Minions of Unicron began the Universe War, a conflict that spanned the entire Multiverse and ravaged multiple realities, engulfing dimensions in ceaseless combat that rivaled the intensity of the greatest Cybertronian wars. Eventually, however, after long years of warfare and countless trillions lost, the Children prevailed and Unicron was defeated, with the Chaos Bringer and his armies vanishing due to the overwhelming power of the Unicron Singularity, a collection of black holes created by the destruction of Unicron's presence in certain universes. It is theorized that after losing too many dimensions to the Children of Primus, the Unicron Singularities all converges across the Multiverse and became too powerful for the Chaos Bringer to overcome, removing him from existence in many realities and making his consciousness on the astral plane dormant...for a time.

Regardless of the details, Unicron was defeated and the Children were left victorious in their war, saving the Multiverse from Unicron's wrath. Furthermore, the multiversal event known as the Shrouding strengthened the boundaries between universes, severing the multiversal composite consciousnesses shared by every Unicron and Primus. With the Unicron of this reality gone and with little chance of his return, it appears that the dark god may have, at least in this universe, finally been vanquished for good.

*Note: All versions of Primus and Unicron before the Shroud were connected, sharing the same gestalt consciousness. This was known as being a multiversal singularity. These singularities existed because the Multiverse operates on a balanced system of good and evil, order and chaos. A Unicron and Primus were needed in most every universe to keep the balance, although exceptions did and still do exist. Now that all universes are free to have their own gods and distinct versions of Primus and Unicron, however, it can be theorized that the deities no longer hold nearly as much cosmic significance, and individual universes can function fine without one of the two (although an unchecked Unicron isn't usually a good thing in general for a reality).

#2 That One Guy

That One Guy

MaxCop gone rogue

• Citizen
  • 113 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:41 AM

Why do my posts send in duplicates all the bloody time? Someone with privileges please delete this copy.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primus, Unicron, Multiverse, Primacron, Quintessons, Matrix, Beast Era, G1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users