Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

Photo

Games that let you build/create

24 replies to this topic

#1 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31280 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:22 PM

Spin off time

Id like to focus on games that let you make levels or stuff or just whole games We all know about the the RPG maker series right? Well its stuff like that

Well today Id like to talk more about racing games and games with track editors

One of the first track editors I can remember was Exsitebike on the NES But we are going to skip ahead a bit and talk about the PS2 and a very little known game

HSX

This little known gem has one of the best track editors I have ever seen there is simply no end to the way you create your tracks and you do that by drawing a ribbon note this ribbon can be flat with sharp bends or flowing and loopy and twisty

Race upside down? sure spirals? yep what about a tube like track like F-Zero?

Tricky hard to make but yes it can be done can you make sections of the track invisible? yes

What about wavy where the hover machines bounce around? Yes

Does the track have to make a full loop? No you can make a track thats a slalom.

How long can you make a track? Well I once made a track that took 10 mins to complete

How big can you make the track? By using clever tricks you can make tracks that break past the game world

I had a track go so high that the game sphere was a dot on the screen

hghj88y.jpg HSXc.jpg HSXd.jpg

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#2 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11053 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:18 AM

Dragon Quest Builder 1 and 2

Do I really need to go into detail? The name says it all.

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

The perennial classic: Minecraft!

Fallout 4: settlement and weapon/armor upgrading

Terraria: I bought this when it was new but only recently began to like it. So much has been added and changed it feels like an entirely different game then when I first got it.

Starbound: Like terraria, but in space!

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#4 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4767 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Does SimCity count in this?

If so, also Tropico.

Signatures are overrated.

#5 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4383 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

The makers of LittleBigPlanet have a thing in early-access phase called Dreams that looks extremely promising. It's basically an entire game dev kit you can use from a PS4. Vinesauce did a few streams already showing off some of the stuff people have made with it.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#6 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7989 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

In that vein, LittleBig Planet itself.

Oh and of course Super Mario Maker.

Edited by Confuzor, 30 May 2019 - 06:46 PM.

#7 abates

abates
  • Supporter
  • 4809 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon. Building an insanely complex roller coaster and laying out amusement parks was the best.

I see it's still around but now a mobile game with micro-transactions and wait times. Mobile ruins everything.

#8 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5263 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

Only thing in this vein I've ever messed with was RPGMaker 95 and I learned real quick I can't really do 'maps'

Game was also too limiting for what I wanted to do.

I've seen there is a way to have a Tales Of battle system in some recent builds, and If I ever manage to get my hands on one I might give it another go. Though I'd like to team up with people who can cover the things I just can't manage. Like maps.

Otherwise yeah... damn I really don't do this kinda thing. I've never played Minecraft or even messed around with level editors. Damn. Never really thought about it before.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#9 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39067 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

I really enjoyed Mario Maker, and I plan on getting the sequel whenever I get a Switch again.

Dragon Quest Builder 1 and 2

Do I really need to go into detail? The name says it all.

I am super excited for the sequel that is coming out here on July 12th! I loved the first game so much, and this one seems to address a lot of my issues with the first game!

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#10 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5423 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Haven't tried DQ builder yet but I have quite a few other games centered around building, including:

Minecraft (java, win 10 and Android)
Super Mario Maker
Starbound
Terraria
Space Engineers
Kerbal Space Program
Starmade
Scrap Mechanic
Garry's mod
Little big planet 1 and 2
Mod Nation Racers

Also have quite a few that have a lot of building included, but isn't the primary purpose of the game, such as:
No Man's Sky(base building)
City of Heroes(supergroup base building)
Forza Horizons 4(livery editor)
3d Dot Game Heroes(voxel character/item editor)

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Oohh, oohh, I just remembered a couple from my steam list.

Brickrigs and Trailmakers are quasi lego-esque vehicle building games. Brickrigs is the more complicated of the two, but both are fun in different ways. Brickrigs is very finely detailed, and detail oriented, while trailmakers is more mythbusters styled "slapdash and upgrade the design after the crash" styled.

#12 Sarcastrophe

Sarcastrophe

Not like the others who get all the fame

• Citizen
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

Definitely love these types of games & programs, ever since the days of RPG Maker 95 and Jetpack. HSX reminds me of the randomly-generated tracks for F-Zero X, which I loved.

Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy for the Wii let you make your own shoot-em-up game, designing ships, shot patterns, etc. I never got the hang of it as much as I would have liked, but it seemed very full-featured.

For the PC, there's SMBX, which is a Mario game maker with a couple of included games to play through. There's an updated SMBX2 now with more characters and features as well.

Similarly, there's Mega Man Maker, which I haven't had a chance to play yet, but seems like it might be a decent salve for the pain of Mega Man Universe being cancelled.

As far as games with building aspects, I very much enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and I'm happy to see a few games now (Scrap Mechanic, Trailmakers) picking up its ideas and running with them.

#13 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4383 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:39 AM

I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon. Building an insanely complex roller coaster and laying out amusement parks was the best.I see it's still around but now a mobile game with micro-transactions and wait times. Mobile ruins everything.

They've also released a mashup of the first two games for tablets, called RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic. It's one of the few games I've bothered to get for my iPad because, yeah, it's one of the few real games available for it. Or if you want to try out a third-party approach to the same genre with better resolution and full camera movement, there's Parkitect on PC.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#14 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5263 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:01 PM

This thread triggered a memory.

There used to be this racing game on the computer. I don't remember what the computer was, but I used to play games like Commander Keen, Scorched Earth, and M.U.L.E. on it.

There was this one racing game where you could build your own tracks. Though honestly I'm not sure if it was 'racing' I think it was only your car on the road?

Things I remember the best was if you crashed it switched to a picture of your windshield broken. I remember you could change view as well so you could look out the side or even the back while 'racing'. Also by changed I mean there were no frames in between. It was a picture of a good windshield, then a broken one. Nothing in between.

I know one of the obstacles you could put on a track was people on the track, though if memory serves correct they were basically yellow 'cut outs' in the shape of a person.

The thing I remember the most, because it freaked me out, is if you crashed into water, there was a picture of a still shark there and it gave you the message "Hope you can swim"

Anyone have any clue what the heck I'm talking about?

Spoiler

#15 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5423 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

At first it sounded like Stunts, but I don't remember a shark in that game, though it was released in the right era.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 42315 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

I was going to suggest "trackmania" but it's entirely the wrong era.

#17 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5423 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

Found the game.  It wasn't Stunts, which was a similar game released the same year, but Stunt Driver, released in 1990 for DOS. 

0oCe1ya.png

Edited by Coglestop, 02 June 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#18 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5263 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Pretty sure that has to be it. I watched LGR's review of the game and the track editor looks like what I remember.

I remember back then being able to make tracks like that was really neat, and it's about the only other 'building' thing I think I ever messed with.

(I don't remember the shark looking like that, but unless there were slightly different versions of this game for different computers, it's more likely my memory is off. I mean this was like 20 years ago. or so.)

Spoiler

#19 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4383 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

I like how the color scheme is just the EGA palette with more shades. Id's games did that too. What's up with that?

#20 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5423 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

Easier for the art team, I'd imagine.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users