Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

Photo
- - - - -

Sunbow Productions and Marvel Productions script archive

51 replies to this topic

#21 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:59 AM

Nope, judging by this, it was unedited copies that they had:

http://masterforceuk...ers-script.html

mmp01.jpg

• D.M likes this

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#22 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

There are also these:

Featuring Ted Schwartz as Spider-Man who would later reprise the role for the solo series and Jackson Beck as the narrator. (On a side note, George DiCenzo voiced Captain America in the energy PSA. He too would later get to reprise the role on both solo and AF shows)

I've previously done some research on those early Captain America and Spider-Man PSAs, and found the following links:

https://www.upi.com/.../9027339220800/

https://books.google...e" 1980&f=false

It's not 100% definitive, but the above links suggest that the Cap PSA was first, in October 1980; supporting this date, the Captain America and the Campbell Kids tie-in comic is also listed with an October 1980 publication date on the US Copyright Office database. According to the second link, the Spider-Man PSAs were apparently launched two months later in December 1980.

Storyboards for the Cap PSA (saved from an eBay auction in 2016):

CapPSA1.jpg

CapPSA2.jpg

CapPSA3.jpg

CapPSA4.jpg

CapPSA5.jpg

Regarding the Spider-Man PSAs, even without the 1980 copyright date at the end, it's clear these were produced before the syndicated Spider-Man series was, since they don't use any of Johnny Douglas's music, and, more tellingly, the web-shooter sound is taken from 1979's Spider-Woman as opposed to being the sound effect created for the two 80s series.

1983:
-X-MEN (Someone at Marvel was OBSESSED with Video-Man...)

That was Amazing Friends' producer/writer Dennis Marks, who really took a liking to the character.

1984:
-THE SECRET WAR

I've seen references to this in development from Marvel Productions several times before. Of all the unproduced Marvel Productions concepts, I still think the lack of a Secret Wars series was Marvel Productions' single biggest missed opportunity to follow the company's original remit of promoting actual Marvel Comics characters.

It's apparent that, after Spider-Man and the Hulk, the networks weren't interested in any of Marvel's self-owned super-hero properties, and Marvel probably determined there wasn't the same kind of money in syndication without a cash influx from other companies such as Hasbro.

Getting Mattel on board to fund a syndicated Secret Wars series should have been a strategy that worked, but Mattel likely passed on the opportunity as they ultimately didn't actually own any of the featured characters outright.

1986:
-YOUNG ASTRONAUTS (This actually got made, BUT it got shelved due to Challenger tragedy - albeit it's said that first episode was aired two days prior. Occasionally animation cels from it show up at auctions)

Yes, this has come up before. Toei's old website listed them as having completed one episode. Even before Challenger, there were also ongoing problems in the relationship between Marvel Productions, The Young Astronaut Council and CBS that resulted in the series being postponed from its intended September 1985 start date:

https://law.justia.c...47/945/1479993/

I would expect that someone involved with the production had a copy of the first episode at some point. Hopefully we'll get to see it someday.

• D.M likes this

#23 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2985 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

On a side note, two cels from Young Astronauts:
qRCvSo1.jpg
TH2QMjk.jpg

#24 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

I saw a link on another forum, so I went and copied the text for a bit of psuedo-reproduction.  I've put up the unused TF season 3 premise from Cary Bates and Greg Weisman "The Eye Of The Beholder".  I've placed it where the date indicates a script roughly would have gone, if any of their premises had been picked up. Which is likely between Chaos and Dark Awakening.

Edited by Greebtron, 08 July 2019 - 06:15 PM.

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#25 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

More repro work, this time from the transcript of the TF show bible.  I've separated out the 9 page correspondence that was part of those postings.  Among other things, it does show that Divide and Conquer was ready to go as a premise weeks ahead of being commissioned.  You can also see how the building blocks for The Ultimate Doom were beginning to take shape.

There is an actual copy of the bible up on ebay, but the seller wants $2500.  No thanks, I'll pass.

Edited by Greebtron, 10 July 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#26 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2985 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

Supposedly another unproductive MP show:
WZJSzjU.jpg

Unknown year.

I saw a link on another forum, so I went and copied the text for a bit of psuedo-reproduction.  I've put up the unused TF season 3 premise from Cary Bates and Greg Weisman "The Eye Of The Beholder".  I've placed it where the date indicates a script roughly would have gone, if any of their premises had been picked up. Which is likely between Chaos and Dark Awakening.

Something's wrong with the links. I get this message:
"Your current accoun does not have access to view this page.
Click here to logout and change accounts."

#27 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

Done some housekeeping that should fix up the links, also added a links columns for each show to make browsing easier.

One potential source of info I'll be keeping my eye on in 10 days is Cybfest NW.  Their big deal this year is getting David Kaye, but there is also.....

http://www.cybfestnw...019_panels.html

G1 Transformers Scripts and Memos 12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Green River Room
  • Host: Ryan King
  • Description: A presentation of various Transformers scripts and old production memos from writers and producers to give a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at our beloved '80s cartoon.
  •  

You have my undivided attention, yeeesssss

#28 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Now I have some time off to work with, I've gotten started on the advert section of the production timeline.  In doing so, I'm getting closer to pinning down the transition from Marvel Productions to TMS for producing adverts for the remaining toylnes. 

Thanks to TMS' practice of using the date of commission for their production codes, they started in on TF and GI Joe adverts in October 1987.  Marvel would continue to do their remaining advert commissions until at least November.  Of course, come 1988 when it was time to start on the ads for 1989, it was 100% TMS.

There are various model cels around online, but the low picture quality means I can't read most of the description boxes.  However having seen Visionaries model sheets, I can confirm that these are an assortment of both Marvel and TMS: https://www.yojoe.co...bowmodel3.shtml

The only Transformers TMS' model cel from the transition period is the Powermaster Prime one that turned up a few years back.

Transformers%20G1%20Animation%20Original

• D.M likes this

#29 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

With the DVD dropping through my letterbox today, I've added 7 scripts for Bucky O'Hare as it was the fourth, and it seems final, show in the Sunbow library to get the full Metrodome treatment.  Also managed to add a sizeable model pack from an old fan site to the mix.

In case you're wondering:  Yes, Christy's scripts are on the DVD and no, I will not be uploading them as she has explicitly forbidden the posting of her scripts online.  Honestly surprised they were on the DVD in the first place.

As I had to subscribe to Adobe Pro and reduce the file sizes to get them under 100mb, I did the same for the GI Joe movie, so hopefully that should work in preview mode.

• D.M likes this

#30 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2985 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

Done some housekeeping that should fix up the links, also added a links columns for each show to make browsing easier.

One potential source of info I'll be keeping my eye on in 10 days is Cybfest NW.  Their big deal this year is getting David Kaye, but there is also.....

http://www.cybfestnw...019_panels.html

G1 Transformers Scripts and Memos 12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Green River Room

• Host: Ryan King
  • Description: A presentation of various Transformers scripts and old production memos from writers and producers to give a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at our beloved '80s cartoon.

You have my undivided attention, yeeesssss

Will there be a recording of the panel?

#31 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Turns out it was just the existing material from one publicly-available Google Drive or the other.  Nice to see them all printed and in proper script format, but nothing revelatory

https://www.facebook...08318712664788/

67462386_10220868845778097_3290693475636

#32 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks to walruslaw for providing a copy of the TF show bible from the Shout Factory DVD.

Now that the site is two months old, it is interesting to see which sections are the most popular (I have the gadget up on the blog).  Out of the ten shows represented, the Top 3 is:

1: Transformers

2: Dungeons & Dragons

3: Visionaries

Transformers comes under "well duh".  D&D is not surprising because the DVD contained so much material from the run, plus I've been promoting it on the main FB fan group.  

Visionaries has turned out to be the big sleeper hit, surpassing even the TF Season 3 section.

#33 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

H7iBUEh.jpg
j9WNi39.jpg

...The hell?  That's very nearly Bug Bite from Gobots.  What was this?

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#34 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

A photo that Flint Dille posted in 2012 of the Sunbow West crew back in the day:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

564158_10151059394521095_870150540_n.jpg

Front Left-To-Right: Steve Gerber, Michael Charles Hill, Hildy Mesnick, Doug Booth

Back Left-To-Right: Marv Wolfman, Flint Dille, Eric Early

Not pictured: Buzz Dixon taking the shot and Roger Slifer in New York

#35 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

It was going to be a series called "Car and Cable", with a transforming robot called Muffy, and yes he really does look an awful lot like Bug-Bite. Maybe someone else had their eye on using Machine Robo toys at some point prior to Tonka?

The image probably comes from Comics Feature #33, which had a cover story on Marvel Productions. One of the other images in the same feature is an early piece of Transformers concept artwork featuring a (Diaclone-inspired?) pilot inside Optimus Prime, and what looks like a green Bumblebee behind him.

Perhaps coincidentally, both the green Bumblebee and Muffy were rendered as VW beetle convertibles.

#36 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Got the first script contribution up at the archive:  The unedited original version of War Of The Dinobots, including the deleted character of Dr Lynn Hiyashi.  Also a chance to compare Don Glut's idea of the Dinobots to Ron Friedman's.  Or, as Don himself wrote "Us primitives are not stupid!"

https://sunbowmarvel...987-sunbow.html

• D.M likes this

#37 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2985 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

H7iBUEh.jpg
j9WNi39.jpg

Character's called Muffy. The show was apparently titled "Car and Cable". Apart from that, nothing is known about it.

#38 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

OK, so on the subject of failed projects, this popped up on ebay

https://www.ebay.com...rAAAOSwz-lc9id2

s-l1600.jpg

#39 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

As you may have seen in the main TF forum, got a big catch this month:  Both the full unedited script and full storyboards for Cosmic Rust are now up at the archive.

I have also started on a restoration project for the Bucky O'Hare scripts.  As the scans that Sunbow did back then were so poor that it drove the individual file size up to 100mb.  The following is from Rick Merwin's episode The Search For Bruce:

Before:

72428197_2588076814546332_23492898976526

After:

72168541_2588076317879715_98425433355190

#40 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:27 AM

Published a new part to the archive.  A spreadsheet listing the full estimated runtime of an episode based on script page count.  Also currently working through the broadcast episodes, finding the time indexes to verify the runtime of original story animation.  What I mean by that is not including intros, credits, bumpers or in the case of 1986 shows, repeated footage.  Recaps are only included if they are accounted for in the scripting.

https://sunbowmarvel...de-runtime.html

Edited by Greebtron, 31 October 2019 - 02:27 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users