Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

@  TriBlurr : (13 October 2019 - 12:16 AM)

Honor-Roll

@  Arazyr : (11 October 2019 - 08:18 AM)

I like that one.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 10:39 PM)

Oh, how about Dropout?

@  Pinkcolliebot : (09 October 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Hey Everyone I'm beginning to put together The TF Roll Out Short Hot Rod's Presentation!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 October 2019 - 02:35 PM)

Truant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 October 2019 - 12:26 PM)

Haslab Unicron may change the direction of Cyberverse or the netflix series.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 October 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Bluecheesewagon

@  Benbot : (09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM)

Those are too friendly--what if he was a Decepticon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM)

Cheesewagon

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Bus-Top has a very GoBot vibe

@  Bass X0 : (08 October 2019 - 10:51 AM)

I actually never heard of the name Megalodon until recently.

@  Noideaforaname : (08 October 2019 - 09:44 AM)

Bus-Top, Omnibus, Cerebus, Busicus, Busicon

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Otto

@  unluckiness : (08 October 2019 - 09:32 AM)

Frizzle

@  Dekafox : (08 October 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Crankshaft?

@  Benbot : (08 October 2019 - 08:55 AM)

What's a good name for a school bus Transformer?

@  lastmaximal : (08 October 2019 - 12:57 AM)

Huh. There's a neat name for Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megs.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 October 2019 - 11:44 AM)

It's a submarine, we swear!

@  Otaku : (07 October 2019 - 11:26 AM)

@Bass X0 Letting myself comment to say "That's a good one!" and ask "Would a megalodon be a good fit for Megatron?"

@  Benbot : (07 October 2019 - 07:59 AM)

Ohhh good one

@  Bass X0 : (07 October 2019 - 07:39 AM)

I now want a Decepticon shark called Megalotron.

@  TriBlurr : (06 October 2019 - 05:47 PM)

Gives them time to screw up the color of his hands. :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 October 2019 - 12:33 PM)

His bulk is too great to teleport across such distances.

@  Sabrblade : (06 October 2019 - 11:09 AM)

Cuz it'll take that long to mass produce.

Photo
- - - - -

Sunbow Productions and Marvel Productions script archive

38 replies to this topic

#21 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:59 AM

Nope, judging by this, it was unedited copies that they had:

http://masterforceuk...ers-script.html

mmp01.jpg

• D.M likes this

#22 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

There are also these:

Featuring Ted Schwartz as Spider-Man who would later reprise the role for the solo series and Jackson Beck as the narrator. (On a side note, George DiCenzo voiced Captain America in the energy PSA. He too would later get to reprise the role on both solo and AF shows)

I've previously done some research on those early Captain America and Spider-Man PSAs, and found the following links:

https://www.upi.com/.../9027339220800/

https://books.google...e" 1980&f=false

It's not 100% definitive, but the above links suggest that the Cap PSA was first, in October 1980; supporting this date, the Captain America and the Campbell Kids tie-in comic is also listed with an October 1980 publication date on the US Copyright Office database. According to the second link, the Spider-Man PSAs were apparently launched two months later in December 1980.

Storyboards for the Cap PSA (saved from an eBay auction in 2016):

CapPSA1.jpg

CapPSA2.jpg

CapPSA3.jpg

CapPSA4.jpg

CapPSA5.jpg

Regarding the Spider-Man PSAs, even without the 1980 copyright date at the end, it's clear these were produced before the syndicated Spider-Man series was, since they don't use any of Johnny Douglas's music, and, more tellingly, the web-shooter sound is taken from 1979's Spider-Woman as opposed to being the sound effect created for the two 80s series.

1983:
-X-MEN (Someone at Marvel was OBSESSED with Video-Man...)

That was Amazing Friends' producer/writer Dennis Marks, who really took a liking to the character.

1984:
-THE SECRET WAR

I've seen references to this in development from Marvel Productions several times before. Of all the unproduced Marvel Productions concepts, I still think the lack of a Secret Wars series was Marvel Productions' single biggest missed opportunity to follow the company's original remit of promoting actual Marvel Comics characters.

It's apparent that, after Spider-Man and the Hulk, the networks weren't interested in any of Marvel's self-owned super-hero properties, and Marvel probably determined there wasn't the same kind of money in syndication without a cash influx from other companies such as Hasbro.

Getting Mattel on board to fund a syndicated Secret Wars series should have been a strategy that worked, but Mattel likely passed on the opportunity as they ultimately didn't actually own any of the featured characters outright.

1986:
-YOUNG ASTRONAUTS (This actually got made, BUT it got shelved due to Challenger tragedy - albeit it's said that first episode was aired two days prior. Occasionally animation cels from it show up at auctions)

Yes, this has come up before. Toei's old website listed them as having completed one episode. Even before Challenger, there were also ongoing problems in the relationship between Marvel Productions, The Young Astronaut Council and CBS that resulted in the series being postponed from its intended September 1985 start date:

https://law.justia.c...47/945/1479993/

I would expect that someone involved with the production had a copy of the first episode at some point. Hopefully we'll get to see it someday.

• D.M likes this

#23 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2972 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

On a side note, two cels from Young Astronauts:
qRCvSo1.jpg
TH2QMjk.jpg

#24 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

I saw a link on another forum, so I went and copied the text for a bit of psuedo-reproduction.  I've put up the unused TF season 3 premise from Cary Bates and Greg Weisman "The Eye Of The Beholder".  I've placed it where the date indicates a script roughly would have gone, if any of their premises had been picked up. Which is likely between Chaos and Dark Awakening.

Edited by Greebtron, 08 July 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#25 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

More repro work, this time from the transcript of the TF show bible.  I've separated out the 9 page correspondence that was part of those postings.  Among other things, it does show that Divide and Conquer was ready to go as a premise weeks ahead of being commissioned.  You can also see how the building blocks for The Ultimate Doom were beginning to take shape.

There is an actual copy of the bible up on ebay, but the seller wants $2500.  No thanks, I'll pass.

Edited by Greebtron, 10 July 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#26 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2972 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

Supposedly another unproductive MP show:
WZJSzjU.jpg

Unknown year.

I saw a link on another forum, so I went and copied the text for a bit of psuedo-reproduction.  I've put up the unused TF season 3 premise from Cary Bates and Greg Weisman "The Eye Of The Beholder".  I've placed it where the date indicates a script roughly would have gone, if any of their premises had been picked up. Which is likely between Chaos and Dark Awakening.

Something's wrong with the links. I get this message:
"Your current accoun does not have access to view this page.
Click here to logout and change accounts."

#27 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

Done some housekeeping that should fix up the links, also added a links columns for each show to make browsing easier.

One potential source of info I'll be keeping my eye on in 10 days is Cybfest NW.  Their big deal this year is getting David Kaye, but there is also.....

http://www.cybfestnw...019_panels.html

G1 Transformers Scripts and Memos 12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Green River Room
  • Host: Ryan King
  • Description: A presentation of various Transformers scripts and old production memos from writers and producers to give a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at our beloved '80s cartoon.
  •  

You have my undivided attention, yeeesssss

#28 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Now I have some time off to work with, I've gotten started on the advert section of the production timeline.  In doing so, I'm getting closer to pinning down the transition from Marvel Productions to TMS for producing adverts for the remaining toylnes. 

Thanks to TMS' practice of using the date of commission for their production codes, they started in on TF and GI Joe adverts in October 1987.  Marvel would continue to do their remaining advert commissions until at least November.  Of course, come 1988 when it was time to start on the ads for 1989, it was 100% TMS.

There are various model cels around online, but the low picture quality means I can't read most of the description boxes.  However having seen Visionaries model sheets, I can confirm that these are an assortment of both Marvel and TMS: https://www.yojoe.co...bowmodel3.shtml

The only Transformers TMS' model cel from the transition period is the Powermaster Prime one that turned up a few years back.

Transformers%20G1%20Animation%20Original

• D.M likes this

#29 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

With the DVD dropping through my letterbox today, I've added 7 scripts for Bucky O'Hare as it was the fourth, and it seems final, show in the Sunbow library to get the full Metrodome treatment.  Also managed to add a sizeable model pack from an old fan site to the mix.

In case you're wondering:  Yes, Christy's scripts are on the DVD and no, I will not be uploading them as she has explicitly forbidden the posting of her scripts online.  Honestly surprised they were on the DVD in the first place.

As I had to subscribe to Adobe Pro and reduce the file sizes to get them under 100mb, I did the same for the GI Joe movie, so hopefully that should work in preview mode.

• D.M likes this

#30 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2972 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

Done some housekeeping that should fix up the links, also added a links columns for each show to make browsing easier.

One potential source of info I'll be keeping my eye on in 10 days is Cybfest NW.  Their big deal this year is getting David Kaye, but there is also.....

http://www.cybfestnw...019_panels.html

G1 Transformers Scripts and Memos 12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Green River Room

• Host: Ryan King
  • Description: A presentation of various Transformers scripts and old production memos from writers and producers to give a bit of a behind-the-scenes look at our beloved '80s cartoon.

You have my undivided attention, yeeesssss

Will there be a recording of the panel?

#31 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Turns out it was just the existing material from one publicly-available Google Drive or the other.  Nice to see them all printed and in proper script format, but nothing revelatory

https://www.facebook...08318712664788/

67462386_10220868845778097_3290693475636

#32 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks to walruslaw for providing a copy of the TF show bible from the Shout Factory DVD.

Now that the site is two months old, it is interesting to see which sections are the most popular (I have the gadget up on the blog).  Out of the ten shows represented, the Top 3 is:

1: Transformers

2: Dungeons & Dragons

3: Visionaries

Transformers comes under "well duh".  D&D is not surprising because the DVD contained so much material from the run, plus I've been promoting it on the main FB fan group.  

Visionaries has turned out to be the big sleeper hit, surpassing even the TF Season 3 section.

#33 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39106 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

H7iBUEh.jpg
j9WNi39.jpg

...The hell?  That's very nearly Bug Bite from Gobots.  What was this?

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#34 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

A photo that Flint Dille posted in 2012 of the Sunbow West crew back in the day:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

564158_10151059394521095_870150540_n.jpg

Front Left-To-Right: Steve Gerber, Michael Charles Hill, Hildy Mesnick, Doug Booth

Back Left-To-Right: Marv Wolfman, Flint Dille, Eric Early

Not pictured: Buzz Dixon taking the shot and Roger Slifer in New York

#35 JonT

JonT
  • Citizen
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

It was going to be a series called "Car and Cable", with a transforming robot called Muffy, and yes he really does look an awful lot like Bug-Bite. Maybe someone else had their eye on using Machine Robo toys at some point prior to Tonka?

The image probably comes from Comics Feature #33, which had a cover story on Marvel Productions. One of the other images in the same feature is an early piece of Transformers concept artwork featuring a (Diaclone-inspired?) pilot inside Optimus Prime, and what looks like a green Bumblebee behind him.

Perhaps coincidentally, both the green Bumblebee and Muffy were rendered as VW beetle convertibles.

#36 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Got the first script contribution up at the archive:  The unedited original version of War Of The Dinobots, including the deleted character of Dr Lynn Hiyashi.  Also a chance to compare Don Glut's idea of the Dinobots to Ron Friedman's.  Or, as Don himself wrote "Us primitives are not stupid!"

https://sunbowmarvel...987-sunbow.html

• D.M likes this

#37 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2972 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

H7iBUEh.jpg
j9WNi39.jpg

Character's called Muffy. The show was apparently titled "Car and Cable". Apart from that, nothing is known about it.

#38 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

OK, so on the subject of failed projects, this popped up on ebay

https://www.ebay.com...rAAAOSwz-lc9id2

s-l1600.jpg

#39 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

As you may have seen in the main TF forum, got a big catch this month:  Both the full unedited script and full storyboards for Cosmic Rust are now up at the archive.

I have also started on a restoration project for the Bucky O'Hare scripts.  As the scans that Sunbow did back then were so poor that it drove the individual file size up to 100mb.  The following is from Rick Merwin's episode The Search For Bruce:

Before:

72428197_2588076814546332_23492898976526

After:

72168541_2588076317879715_98425433355190

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users