Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

Photo

Digital Vs. Physical

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Digital Vs. Physical

Digital or Physical

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1781 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

I rarely play single player games, and it is even rarer for me to replay single player games. Once the multi-player community for a game is dead, the game holds no value for me.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but this is something that might factor into some of the split in opinion. I'm just the opposite. I rarely play any multiplayer games, and I frequently replay single-player games, including some that are over 30 years old at this point. So I couldn't care less about whether the multiplayer community is alive or dead. I just expect my games to work for as long as the console is operational.

That's a big part of the reason I have a very strong preference for physical games. However, I also appreciate the convenience that digital has to offer. That's especially true now that I'll soon be having 4 people in my household all wanting to play different games. So these days, games fall into 3 groups for me.

• Games that I just want to play, but have no deep connection to. I'm ok getting these digitally. I'll still often go physical anyway, but it doesn't take too much to tip me towards the digital purchase.
  • Games I really care about and want to have available indefinitely. Anything from my favorite series, games that really impress me, etc. These I get physical, period. Digital is insufficient here, and I'll be rather put out if/when physical is no longer an option for such games.
  • Games I love so much I want to have them ready to play at all times for eternity. For my all-time favorites, I'm willing to buy both. BotW is my main example here. I bought it as a physical copy first. In time, I went ahead and got the digital copy too. It's also the one game I have installed to my Switch's internal memory rather than the SD card. This can also apply to games I buy digitally, then decide it's good enough that I want to have the physical copy.

My outlook is similar for movies and TV. I have a Netflix subscription, and that's becoming my primary media source these days. It's usually the first option I'll pick for anything that's available on it. However, I'll still buy the blu-ray for anything I really care about. And when it's time to sit down and really watch one of my favorites or something I'm excited for, I'll be digging out the discs even if it is available on Netflix.

#22 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Depends on what it is, exactly.  For instance, I won't give money to any game streaming services because that's not actually owning anything.  BUT, I totally have a 4tb hard drive that's my entire PS4 library.  The difference is that I can play all that without paying again or needing an internet connection for any of it.  So, basically, that 4tb drive IS my physical medium.

For anything older, it's all physical.

Edited by Spark, 01 May 2019 - 03:32 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#23 Caldwin

Caldwin

Peace!

• Supporter
  • 25300 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

How many game cartridges do you have for your phone or tablet?

None? Well, that’s the future of gaming isn’t it? Kids don’t care about discs and carts and ownership when all they’ve known in their lives are digital games.

“You have to put in a cartridge!? That’s like a baby’s toy!”

I wouldn't use mobile games as a litmus test for how consoles should go. I don't play Angry Birds and Bejeweled with nearly the same ferver as Skyrim and Breath of the Wild.

• Games that I just want to play, but have no deep connection to. I'm ok getting these digitally. I'll still often go physical anyway, but it doesn't take too much to tip me towards the digital purchase.
  • Games I really care about and want to have available indefinitely. Anything from my favorite series, games that really impress me, etc. These I get physical, period. Digital is insufficient here, and I'll be rather put out if/when physical is no longer an option for such games.
  • Games I love so much I want to have them ready to play at all times for eternity. For my all-time favorites, I'm willing to buy both. BotW is my main example here. I bought it as a physical copy first. In time, I went ahead and got the digital copy too. It's also the one game I have installed to my Switch's internal memory rather than the SD card. This can also apply to games I buy digitally, then decide it's good enough that I want to have the physical copy.

I actually really like this list. Like some retro games I can only get digitally (Donkey Kong, Excite Bike and such). But games like Snipper Clips are available physically, but I don't have that much of an investment in it, so I got it digitally. Zelda I will always get physically so long as I have a choice. Street Fighter II I have so many versions digital and physical I can't even count them all. And Breath of the Wild I have physically for Wii U, but I'm kinda considering a digital Switch version so I can use the VR.

So yeah, I think I like this list.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#24 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:41 AM

I prefer physical if it's a game I want to keep access to for all time. Otherwise, digital is fine.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#25 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4776 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

I prefer physical if reasonably possible. In some cases, scarcity/unavailability or huge digital sales make it unreasonable to obtain a physical copy. That's when I go digital.

Edited by K Gatzby, 06 June 2019 - 08:36 AM.

Signatures are overrated.

#26 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27126 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

In principle I feel like I should prefer physical, but in practice Nintendo gave me five minutes alone with the 3DS Virtual Console and that was all it took for the convenience of digital to win me over.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users