Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 May 2019 - 05:53 AM)

Was that the one where he fights gamma mutant poodles?

@  unluckiness : (25 May 2019 - 03:14 AM)

The CG in that movie was fantastic. Shame Donkey and Fiona were written out of the movie though.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Don't worry, though. Ang Lee's Hulk has made it, so if physical media goes this year we can all die happy

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 May 2019 - 01:12 AM)

It's not on 4K yet. Sure would be nice, though

@  Pennpenn : (25 May 2019 - 12:56 AM)

Probably, when I remember to.

@  Telly : (24 May 2019 - 11:11 PM)

you should buy it on bluray or 4k

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2019 - 09:56 PM)

It's still not up on netflix. Bah!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:26 PM)

We named the dog "Indiana".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 May 2019 - 03:25 PM)

Happy 30 years to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Truly they are the compleat package.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 May 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Made from the metallized ashes of their previous enemies.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2019 - 07:40 AM)

They fight you with sparkles.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

Photo

Digital Vs. Physical

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Digital Vs. Physical

Digital or Physical

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24063 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

So, I know this is a huge thing in the gaming community. So let's talk about it. I've always been one to say I prefer physical media over digital. But in full honesty:

With movies the vast majority of what I have is Bluray or DVD. But I do have some digital only movies. Usually I only get digital if I just can't seem to find it physically. But I do have some digital movies.

With music, there are some bands I still get CD's for: Metallica, Godsmack, Evanescence, Lindsey Stirling and Within Temptation. But more and more I get most of my music digitally.

But a single video game can be quite a bit more expensive than any movie or music album. So here's my thoughts on digital games.

Bad:

1. You don't own a game. You merely own a license to play the game. This more than anything else seems to be the biggest sore spot for those arguing against digital only. You pay $60 for something, it would be nice to actually own something for your money.

2. Especially if consoles decide to go digital only, they better have really sizable storage. Many AAA games can be upwards of 50 gig. Even a Terabyte of storage can fill up fast over the typical lifespan of a console. If they're going to take away the optical drives, they should be giving us more storage, cause damn we're gonna need it.

3. As anyone who owns a Wii can attest, servers close down. At that point, you better have as many of your games downloaded to your limited storage as possible, because you're going to lose the rest. I did lose some of my purchases from the Wii when its server shut down. I downloaded all the ones I could, but it just goes to show even more the need for storage space.

Good:

1. The only time I ever preorder something is if I need to use the preorder as a layaway. That's the only use of a preorder for me now is the layaway. I walked into a Gamestop today who tried to convince me I better preorder Mario Maker for the Switch if I want it first day because Nintendo typically only sends enough of these types of games to fill preorder. I just smiled inwardly because I know...online store never runs out of stock. If I go to Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, Meijer and Wal Mart and they are all out of stock, I can always buy it digitally. There's no such thing as running out of copies.

2. Kinda small, but it is nice to not have to switch out cartridges or disks. Call me lazy, but backing out of one game and immediately starting up another can be nice versus getting my butt up off the coach, ejecting one disk/cartridge, putting it in its case, taking out another case and putting the next game in and sitting back down on the couch to resume play. Yeah, lazy as hell, but it is a plus for digital.

3. In the case of the Switch, they're not selling a lot of carry cases for the games. The carry case I have for the Switch itself has 5 cartridge sized pockets to store games for travel. So whenever I go somewhere or travel, I have to choose five out of my physical library to go with me and leave the rest at home. If all my games were digital, I could carry my entire library with me wherever I go.

Edited by Caldwin, 27 April 2019 - 02:03 PM.

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#2 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30302 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:51 PM

Physical only really the only time I get anything digital is if its 10 bucks or under this includes games and DLC content

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#3 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 21946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

You don't own a game. You merely own a license to play the game. This more than anything else seems to be the biggest sore spot for those arguing against digital only. You pay $60 for something, it would be nice to actually own something for your money.

This isn't really the case with DRM-free purchases.

Anything I bought and downloaded from GOG I can make however many copies I want and run on any computer without using a launcher program or logging in to an account.

#4 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45492 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

I prefer the concept of physical but the vast bulk of my present game collection is digital only.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#5 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7769 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

Physical always if there is a choice.

#6 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2991 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

With video games, I prefer physical. Only digital games Ive purchased are FF7 for switch, and I guess MM Legacy collection part 2 (which was digital only, and came with collection 1).

For movies, I always buy physical with a digital copy included. That way I have a physical copy to watch if theres ever a sever shut down or something.

I wish video game companies offered the same option.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

Most of my games come through steam, but idea that they could arbitrarily decide to no longer host any given title, or even just go out of business irks me. With physical you at least own it until media or the reader dies.

#8 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10886 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:42 PM

Most of my games come through steam, but idea that they could arbitrarily decide to no longer host any given title, or even just go out of business irks me. With physical you at least own it until media or the reader dies.

Unless they want to send out an update that tells the device that the license is expired.. which is easy to do.

#9 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8928 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:55 PM

As someone in a rural area with junk net speed I really do prefer physical. Heck getting new games is a chore anymore either way since many have day one patches over a few gigs. I often dont get to play games until hours to even days later. Its not a huge deal if I have work or am going to sleep but it sucks when I have a game I really want to jump into ASAP.
  • tec likes this

#10 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5047 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:09 AM

Well I mean I've been buying a lot of Limited Run games so...you can probably guess.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#11 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3260 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:52 AM

I buy a mixture. Obviously, a lot of smaller games are only available digitally, but also it's just so much more convenient. As somebody who is distracted easily and rarely finishes games, being able to go straight from "I am excited for this game I don't own" to actually playing it that same day is good for momentum. Physical games are a thing I mainly go for if it's cheaper, or if I'm feeling like a sucker for a limited edition in a series I love, otherwise I don't have a strong preference.

Edited by 1stStageMidboss, 28 April 2019 - 04:52 AM.

Twitter       Tumblr
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#12 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30302 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

As someone in a rural area with junk net speed I really do prefer physical. Heck getting new games is a chore anymore either way since many have day one patches over a few gigs. I often dont get to play games until hours to even days later. Its not a huge deal if I have work or am going to sleep but it sucks when I have a game I really want to jump into ASAP.

I feel ya pain bro

Thats why I was really shocked about Ace Combat 7 not even having a day one patch I was not expecting to be able to just jump right it my body was not prepared

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#13 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1530 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

I'm leaning towards digital.

My preference is physical. There's just something about having all my games lined up on a shelf.

Yet, I get that I don't have the space for physical games. Physical media, really. I'm not going to clean a bookcase filled with DVDs and CDs anymore.  It's just not something I want to do.

I also... killed my XBOne's disc drive playing Destiny. It works - sometimes - which can make playing physical games a challenge. It's no fun when you've got 30 minutes to kill and 10 of those are spent playing the "eject and reinsert the disc and hope it works" game.

So, yeah. I'm leaning towards digital.

~Marduk (<-- was smart, went digital for Destiny 2)

#14 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51640 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

I prefer digital and given price parity would always actually obtain the physical item but I have a lot of movies and shows and games that are digital because the price is so cheap.

I'm not going to pay $30-$60 for a physical game when I can get the digital for $5-$10.

card-strongarm.jpg

#15 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10579 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

I'll always choose physical over digital; particularly as far as movies go. I've never rented or bought a digital film, and I don't even redeem the digital codes that come with my blu-rays and 4K discs as I want no part of making the studios think digital is any more popular than it is. I'm more than able to make my own backups, if necessary. I still buy CDs as well, although all those do get digitized into FLAC (for home listening) and 256kbps AAC (for on the go).

I have bought some retro digital games off GOG.com, though, as they're DRM free. The old Sierra adventure games... King's/Space/Police Quest series, Leisure Suit Larry, and a few other favorites from when I was younger. For console games, though, I'll always go physical.

#16 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41417 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

Unless they want to send out an update that tells the device that the license is expired.. which is easy to do.

Killing the physical media would be just pointlessly malicious. If the company is doing well, they're wasting money as very few (if any, I would hope.) would opt to repurchase. It would just validate the methodology and lead to not only it happening again on the same game, but on every other game, digital and physical. I didn't stop renting games cause the stores went out of business: I helped put the stores out of business by not renting games. And if the company is bankrupt, there won't be anyone to CARE if you're still playing your disc/cartridge, other than a couple of the devs would were really passionate about the game, and they want you to play.

#17 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4430 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

Eh, it really depends on several factors.  By and large, I've largely gravitated to digital for several reasons.  One is I'm lazy, and not having to get up to change games is very convenient.  Further, a LOT of my game playing are on devices like the Switch and Playstation TV, which aren't exactly easy systems to swap game cards, even before you factor in the "out of the way" spots I have them in.  Digital sales have often provide significant discounts and the method has allowed a LOT of games to see release that probably wouldn't have otherwise.

But there's still that  "if the servers go down, you won't be able to access the games again" issue, though, thus far that hasn't been a terribly huge issue as companies are leaving access to titles for YEARS after the systems are discontinued.  And despite the prevalence of online discounts, by and large, a lot of digital games don't see terribly impressive price cuts due to age.  Sony STILL has PSP games available for download at $20-40, despite the system being discontinued years ago. 

I like to get physical on key titles, but I'm increasingly seeing little reason to spend the money on physical releases short of some collector editions.  Even if you buy a disc or a cart...a LOT of new games are saddled with "day one patches" and are functionally unplayable out of the package anymore.  Mortal Kombat 11 on the Switch came on a 7 GB cart...and required a 16 GB download PLUS an always on connection for full access to the game's SINGLE PLAYER functions.  If I'm going to spend all that time downloading that much...I might as well just pay for the digital download.

The biggest boon for physical games is that retailers are more apt to discount older titles to rotate inventory and selection.  Outside of the occasional super sale, it's possible to get a LOT of games for less than online prices months down the line.

I think what's rubbed me the most about this discussion is that the entire thing is being undermined by the actions of (mostly western) publishers.  The big sell on digital is that "it would be cheaper", even though there have been a number of recent titles for Switch that were cheaper at retail AT LAUNCH than on the eShop.  Physical version buyers are basically being "conned" due to the fact that a majority of (again, western games, mostly) require massive "updates" at release to the point you can't even play the game out of the packaging anymore.

Again, I'd have no issue buying physical..if it was worth it.  Increasingly, I've found it hard to justify spending on a physical game, especially western developed big budget games, compared to the convenience of digital.  By and large, convenience is what the market responds to so we'll see how things go forward.

#18 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1150 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

I will go physical whenever I can.

Now, what is nice is stuff like PS+, where you get a bunch of freebies, and some REALLY good sales on bigger games, many of which you never see at retail, like The Order 1886 for $5, among many others.  Most are older games that I never picked up originally, and, having an external 2TB HD has been nice for all of those.  That and things like FFXV, which I played and finished on release, but was waiting for all the DLC before getting the season pass (as season passes go on sale a lot), but find it is cheaper to just wait for the Royal edition to have a good sale on it, as is has most of the DLC included...  For the most part it is stuff that I was not going to buy for a long time, and a really good deal, or is digital only, and even then, if it is a good deal.

For TV shows and movies, I am almost 100% physical, as streaming sites change their stuff all the time, sites go under (Target Ticket), and stuff goes out of print and can be very hard to get, even from illegal download places (a whole bunch of anime, which is why I am glad I started collecting DVDs, then BDs very early).  Plus, I first went on Netflix a year or so ago, and was very underwhelmed with the selection.  So many movies I assumed they would have, they did not, and then they would only have one of a series (LotR, for example), so I am not impressed with them.

The only streaming service I follow i FunimationNow, because I can see a whole bunch of anime in English either the day of, or within a few weeks of the Japanese release.  Even they lose rights to stuff and lose stuff (like with the split with Crunchyroll, though they seem to be getting some of those back recently), which is why I still buy the BDs of the shows I like (admittedly not right away, as I used to, but, since I am  not as clamoring to see them again right away, I wait for good deals).

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#19 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43851 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

How many game cartridges do you have for your phone or tablet?

None? Well, that’s the future of gaming isn’t it? Kids don’t care about discs and carts and ownership when all they’ve known in their lives are digital games.

“You have to put in a cartridge!? That’s like a baby’s toy!”

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#20 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6601 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

Physical for movies and shows I love. I'm fine streaming shows and movies I don't care as much about.

Games I'm fine with 100% digital. I can play all my digital xbox games offline (provided I could also play the disc version offline) and I can't recall the last time I purchased a disc that didn't have an install. I can access them on any xbox, and some on pc. No worry about losing them, scratches, changing disks etc. I don't worry about selling them, as by the time I may sell of a game it's only going to be worth a dollar or two at most. There are rumors of Microsoft offering a disc to digital service. If so, I am excited to move my last few disc based games that I've gotten as gifts over to digital.

I rarely play single player games, and it is even rarer for me to replay single player games. Once the multi-player community for a game is dead, the game holds no value for me.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users