Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

@  Nevermore : (01 July 2020 - 05:46 AM)

Thanks, dead person.

@  Bass X0 : (01 July 2020 - 05:06 AM)

congratulations to all survivors of the first half of 2020.

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 10:21 PM)

21 for me, but after numerous repetitions I got it down to 17 and a half.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM)

I transform in six steps from human to human sitting on my ass at the computer and back again!

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM)

x-x when in vehicle mode we can travel much F A R T H E R-

@  wonko the sane? : (30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM)

Because despite the fact that we can travel around the world in the time it takes to get a good nights sleep and a couple of meals: people rarely wander more than 25 miles away from home for the duration of their lives.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I don't know how many days that trip takes - especially while sightseeing - but explaining they're 3936 kilometers (2445 miles) apart gives an idea, paradoxically because it is too large to easily picture.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 05:44 PM)

Aye.  When I catch lay people discussing miles and not how long the trip takes, it is in an attempt to stress how far away something is... like NYC to LA.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

But I can imagine 45 *minutes* easily.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:20 PM)

I can imagine a mile, it's a distance I've run. I can't really imagine 45 miles.

@  ▲ndrusi : (30 June 2020 - 01:19 PM)

I think there's also an element of the thing where things that are much bigger than us all blur together.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:49 AM)

If you're not, then you're more concerned with how long it takes.  Actual distance doesn't tell you that very well.  Besides traffic and road conditions, you'll need to know what kind of driving (city/interstate/rural/etc.).

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:47 AM)

Distance matters if you're being paid by the mile.

@  TM2-Megatron : (30 June 2020 - 11:44 AM)

Canadians are the same way, for the most part. If you're driving somewhere far, especially, it helps you plan out the day more than a distance in KM would.

@  Otaku : (30 June 2020 - 11:42 AM)

We use the time it takes to get someplace because that is what is relevant to us.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 June 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Because even we can't figure out miles half the time.

@  Paladin : (30 June 2020 - 09:54 AM)

it's a big country with a lot of empty space. between our citizens' ears.

@  Bass X0 : (30 June 2020 - 09:52 AM)

Why do most Americans measure distance by hours of driving?

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 07:26 PM)

And as a result the world's lone blu-ray release of the film, an Australian disc that came out 7 years ago, now goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Thanks Disney.

@  TM2-Megatron : (29 June 2020 - 06:21 PM)

Well, they censored Daryl Hannah's butt in Splash :rolleyes

@  Paladin : (29 June 2020 - 05:43 PM)

maybe New Mutants is too bad even for D+.

@  Steevy Maximus : (29 June 2020 - 05:00 PM)

X-Men films are coming to Disney+ next month. But will they censor Hugh Jackman's butt?

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 June 2020 - 12:44 PM)

Pft.

@  TheMightyMol... : (29 June 2020 - 11:59 AM)

Behold! Night Strike Galvatron!

@  Bass X0 : (29 June 2020 - 09:53 AM)

I will grant you a recolored body, and recolored troops to command.

Photo
- - - - -

Inhumanoids: The Evil That Lies Within The Scripts

13 replies to this topic

#1 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

https://drive.google...XSCTH5gIf4I9apB

I managed to track down a copy of the old 2005 Metrodome DVD set of Inhumanoids that advertises scripts for all 13 episodes.  Which it seems will be the last release it will ever see, now that Hasbro doesn't own the rights to the characters and either doesn't know or doesn't want to pay licensing to whoever does.  In total there are 11 dialogue scripts, 1 full half-hour script (Primal Passions) and 1 seven minute minisode script (Episode 11 aka Act II of Part 4 of the miniseries).

I've uploaded the dialogue scripts and I've messaged Flint Dille on FB to ask if he's okay with me uploading the two full scripts.  No reply yet, so I'll hold off on those until I get a yay or nay.  For now,  I'll just say that Primal Passions has about 3 minutes worth of material cut from the finished episode.

The dialogue scripts don't appear to have any deleted dialogue that I can find.  They are useful for clarifying some of the Inhumanoids dialogue, mostly Tendril and especially Gagoyle as I couldn't understand most of what they were saying by just listening.  The dialogue scripts are organised by storyboard scene, so at some point I'll go through the 8 episodes and check for cuts, similar to a project I did recently for TF.

One thing that does come to light is regarding the production of the original shorts.  I always assumed that it began in early '85 same as the other Super Sunday shows.  But it seems that it started in Autumn '85 and ran through the winter into '86.  

Also, it wasn't a five-part miniseries with each part cut in three (like Jem was), but a movie cut in fifteen, with each script submitted individually.

I'll go into more detail in a while, when I get back from catsitting.

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#2 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

Hasbro owns the rights to the characters, setting, etc.  They just can't use the Inhumanoids name because it errs too close to Marvel's Inhumans... which Hasbro licenses.  I think it's a 75% legal issue, 25% gentlemen's agreement since Inhumanoids hasn't been a thing in 30+ years anyway.

Edited by Spark, 26 April 2019 - 10:06 AM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9136 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

I should rewatch the episodes. I remember Visionaries was way more fun. And the Gagoyle where he eats his brothers was disgustingly terrifying. That's the name of the eyeball mouth creature, right? *Shudder*

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#4 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

I should rewatch the episodes. I remember Visionaries was way more fun. And the Gagoyle where he eats his brothers was disgustingly terrifying. That's the name of the eyeball mouth creature, right? *Shudder*

Oh yeah, can you believe Hasbro were planning to make a toy of that?  Nightcrawler, too.

I think with how far they had pushed things in all the action shows in '86, watching Visionaries it feels more of a back-to-basics approach.

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#5 Chromedome113

Chromedome113
  • Citizen
  • 257 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

Wasn't there word recently that Hasbro no longer owns the Inhumanoids all together? Some guy owns? That's what the Patreon post by the guy that wrote Scarlets Strike force said, from what I hear.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17806 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

Not seen any evidence of that no. Nor does it really make much sense with how right in situations like this work. I dug into it about a year ago and all I could find then was, as mentioned above, they got challenges awhile back on the name use from Marvel and Lucasfilm (for some reason) and had decided it wasn't viable to use in light of that.

-ZacWilliam, I find the other hard to believe
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23046 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:21 PM

Unfotunately not

https://trademarks.j...s-86490483.html

https://www.allspark...m-2020/page-105

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17806 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:13 AM

Still sounds to me like a confirmed case of Hasbro not having the name rights and legal being confused more than anything else. It just makes very little sense that they wouldn't have rights to the actual property they created in house in any way. Losing the name, sure but the other is...

I mean strange things happen that defy our usual understanding of how these things work. Like the IDW Gobots comic happening at all. But this is a very big "weird thing" as this stuff goes to the point that I'm pretty hesitant to believe it without more...

-ZacWilliam, I don't disbelieve the Author, just maybe he didn't have a clear enough understanding of why it was disallowed or something. But who knows...

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 27 April 2019 - 01:15 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#9 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:25 AM

Whatever the case, it adds up to the same thing.  They've had the Sunbow library for 11 years now and have never allowed a distributor to put out a new DVD set in that time.  Region 1 never got a full set at all, as Rhino only put out 9 episodes in 2001.

One snippet I'll share from the full scripts is this piece of direction:

STAGE THE FOLLOWING IN ANY WAY THAT MIGHT BE EXCITING, REMEMBERING THAT WE WANT TO BE THE MIAMI VICE OF ANIMATION.

Edited by Greebtron, 27 April 2019 - 06:00 AM.

#10 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

OK, it's been about a week and had no response, so I'm putting the two full scripts up.  They are worth a look, just for the informal way they are written.  The previous scripts we've seen from this era are positively clinical by comparison.

#11 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9065 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

Is it wrong that I want to see Cobra Commander, Starscream and D'Compose be interviewed by Hector Ramirez?

#12 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14404 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:03 AM

The Miami Vice of animation?

That scene really creeped me out as a kid. Gross, but thrilling.

I'd kinda use that to sum up my thoughts on Inhumanoids. It was gross, but thrilling. Creepy but engaging. It was scary sure, but i loved it. :)

fslookup.jpg

#13 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

OK, I've gone through both full scripts and here's a summary of changes and cuts:

4056-11 "Episode 11": As the original shorts had to be written a lot tighter, there wasn't nearly as much to cut.  During the scenes in Skelweb where the Trappeur and the Granites are scaling the giant staircase, Flint Dille does ponder some ways to accomplish the visuals.  He suggests that maybe the Granites are "extremely double-jointed, and can almost climb up 90 degree angles like centipedes."  He also suggests them using hoverthrusters.  In the end none of these ideas were used.

The only cut is a minor one, where we go to Bright and the Park Ranger at the Gettysberg battlefield, just before the statues come to life.  The ranger exposits "It's the darndest thing.  The statues were stolen four days ago, and now they're back.",  perhaps they didn't want to set a specific timeframe for events, especially when these would air weekly.  It also establishes the Redwoods being in the background, explaining why they randomly just appear in the next part.

Primal Passions:

- A fair few establishing shots of Borneo are trimmed off before Sabre Jet's squadron appears "parting the trees like a hurricane and geysering the water (See Firefox FX)".

- After Sslither forces Sabre Jet to crash and the Medevac arrives.  We were going to get a shot of his face from within the wreckage.  Perhaps a step too far?

- The next scene at Earth Corps HQ is heavily cut down.  Bright and Liquidator are working on a formula (the unintentional "love potion") while Bright is being typically insufferable about his intelligence.  Auger has had enough: "You know, there's nothing wrong with him that a good swift kick in the pants wouldn't solve. (starts walking toward Bright) And I have half a mind to...".  Herc stops Auger by using the Trappeur's claw to grab him by the belt.

- The scene of Metlar chewing out Tendril and D'Compose for their alliance with "flesh slugs" in previous episodes plays out with a different tone.  Originally it was more like a parent scolding their children.  In the finished episode, he's openly musing about ways to torture them.

- The big action sequence in the Langastoid city and the Inhumanoids getting sprayed with the formula plays out as broadcast.  Minus one parting quip as Earth Corps escape and D'Compose is pining for Sandra.  

LIQUIDATOR: I never thought I would feel compassion for that monster

AUGER: What's a matter, never seen a guy get dumped before?

- No real further cuts happen until Act III when Earth Corps are watching TV with a net in front of it (For those not in on the gag, Auger has a habit of destroying TVs by throwing his shoe at them), which Herc does reference.  The first report they watch is Twenty Questions, where Senator Masterson announces his expedition to rescue the Statue of Liberty.  Both he and Hector Ramirez are in "adventurers outfits": pith helmets and khakis.  Auger is mid-windup when the report about Stella Blaze being kidnapped comes on, and the TV is spared.

- The scene of Stella inside the fake Tendril, playing along with the real one chatting her up, is extended.  Unfortunately, his idea of flirting is to slap "her" with his tail.

- After Sandra is rescued from D'Compose and restored to human, she looks back wistfully and says "No, I'm OK.  You know, D'Compose wasn't a bad dancer...."

- Flint Dille re-uses the Perceptor/Magnus joke from TFTM, this time with Bright and Herc before they begin their rescue of Stella:

BRIGHT: My stratagem is elementary, I precipitate upon the anamatronic biomorph and -

HERC: I understood our plan better before you started explaining it.  Lets go.

- The last cut is the most intriguing.  Where the finished episode ends with Liberty watching TV of the Masterson Expedition and Metlar doing sit-ups.  We go from there to a shot of Sslither and Blackthorne saying from off-screen: "About the three wishes due me, Sslither...I now know my first wish...".  Fade to black.

#14 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:59 PM

Flint Dille has found his unproduced scripts and will be doing a partial reading of season 2, episode 1 on the con2couch stream at 7pm Eastern/4pm Pacific

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users