Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:05 PM)

So whenever he addresses his troops, he keeps cracking jokes. Sometimes these jokes are about the blunders he himself had made in his speech the previous day.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 01:01 PM)

At the moment, I'm blessed with a pretty nice superior. He's got a military background, but he takes an oddly entertaining approach to it. Imagine a stand-up comedian who accidentally enlisted as a drill sergeant.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Another type of everyday absurdity: Imagine you're leaving your workplace for your lunchbreak. Upon your return, you discover that your workplace has been cordened and/or gated off during your break, with "construction site" warning signs everywhere. You go to your superior and tell him: "I can no longer access my workplace! Why is there suddenly a construction site?" Your superior takes a surpised look and says: "I don't know, first time I see this." You figure: "Must be a Tuesday, then."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:51 PM)

It's kind of surreal, really.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:50 PM)

They agree that things are less than ideal, but they acknowledge that their scope of making decisions is limited. Oddly, I keep getting that regardless of how high up the chain of command I bother people.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 12:49 PM)

"I hear you, but you know how it is, there's nothing I can do about it." That's it, basically.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 October 2019 - 06:40 AM)

What's it like to have management that's willing to listen to things they don't want to hear? I've never seen that.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:41 AM)

I manage to argue within the company's own internal logic and point out the flaws, shortcomings and discrepancies between "official company policy" and "everyday company reality".

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:40 AM)

Many of my coworkers are scared to even talk to managers. I often discuss company matters with them I disagree with, and it isn't a rare occurrence that they say "yeah, you're right..."

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:38 AM)

I know how to watch my tone, and I prefer to keep things straightforward and factual, never to attack the person, always the problem itself.

@  Nevermore : (19 October 2019 - 04:37 AM)

The good thing for me is ever since a minor hiccup many years ago when I was still non-permanent, I've always managed to along just fine with my various superiors (I've been through over a dozen already). And that's despite my outspokenness, my blunt honesty and my oftentimes harsh criticism.

@  Sabrblade : (18 October 2019 - 11:04 PM)

With visuals presented by the Cybernet Space Cube

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:51 PM)

And don't forget to sign up for a cybersecurity seminar while you're there

@  Dekafox : (18 October 2019 - 04:47 PM)

Well you can always strap on some cyberlimbs and go into cyberspace for a cyberpunk experience

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 October 2019 - 04:28 PM)

You know that "cyber" doesn't mean "cyborg", right?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 October 2019 - 04:16 PM)

So where's the Cyborgs on CYBERtron?

@  The Doctor Who : (18 October 2019 - 03:47 PM)

Click here and we can send you notifications about your desire to discontinue notifications!

@  Benbot : (18 October 2019 - 10:40 AM)

Why does every damn website want to send me notifications? NO, no one wants your popups! Quit asking!

@  Echowarrior : (18 October 2019 - 09:19 AM)

Amazon in the US has pretty good benefits, though, and even the temp workers had forty hours a week to start with. Even with minimum wage, that's pretty good pay.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2019 - 01:20 AM)

Oh, the turnover rates are high here as well.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Amazon.com and .ca, on the other hand, can be pretty terrible. I know from your squawkbox posts that you guys have your issues with Amazon over there, although you're lucky to have stronger government regulations and a union there. I gather the warehouse workers in the USA and Canada have it pretty crappy, with very high turnover, close to minimum wage pay, and no unions

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 09:38 PM)

Amazon.de doesn't really have the same issue. I've ordered from them (and UK, FR, IT and JP) several times, and their packaging is much better

@  Nevermore : (17 October 2019 - 05:22 PM)

I'm not sure how it works on the customer's end. As packers, we sometimes have items that are flagged as "overwrap", which means we absolutely have to put them into a box even if they're already in pretty sturdy manufacturer packaging.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 October 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Yeah, I really do wish amazon had an option to upgrade packaging for an extra buck or something. I hate their bubble mailers

@  Benbot : (17 October 2019 - 07:17 AM)

That's how it works. I just hope my order from Amazon doesn't arrive crushed because they idiotically stuffed it in an envelope.

@  Telly : (16 October 2019 - 10:48 PM)

my walmart is acting true to form. as soon as mirage arrives from amazon, my walmart gets his entire wave in after months of having wave 1 clogging the pegs....

@  Nevermore : (16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM)

I stirred up some trouble at work, complained about the blatant neglect of employee safety. Was asked to take photos and write down the locations so the matter could be properly escalated. Made me feel a little better.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2019 - 02:55 PM)

I got stabbed in the eyelid by a mudwasp, pulled down a tree, and then got ice cream. You know, all told: not a bad day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Burrunjor

@  Paladin : (15 October 2019 - 08:04 AM)

your mom.

@  Benbot : (15 October 2019 - 08:02 AM)

What's your favorite Paleolithic megafauna?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:06 PM)

Together with the Rhino G1 sets, probably the most expensive DVDs I ever bought

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 10:01 PM)

I've still got the age-old Rhino sets

@  Telly : (14 October 2019 - 09:09 PM)

i didnt find that at any of the ones around here, so i had to settle for seasons 1 and 2 of duckman for $3

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Heck, I got the season 2/3 set for $3 (?) from a Dollar General discount bin :p

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2019 - 07:29 PM)

The series is pretty cheap on DVD, too, which at least will work internet or no. The complete series set seems to be OOP, but there's a Season 1 set as well as a combined 2 & 3 set.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Woot! Beast wars!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 October 2019 - 06:08 PM)

Yay! Tubi now has the first season of Rescue Bots and the full run of Beast Wars FINALLY available.

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Just like me in a game of Civilization. Don't have gunpowder? Time for your cities to burn.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM)

He dubbed the peoples that saw him as bad news cannibals and savages before enslaving and wiping them out too.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 01:40 PM)

And if they had been unfriendly: he would have simply slaughtered them with diseases they couldn't fight, and technology they couldn't match until they as a people did not exist. There's something about european backgrounds that drive us to exploit.

@  Rycochet : (14 October 2019 - 11:02 AM)

He described the peoples he encountered as some of the most friendly and giving in the world, so naturally, he ate all their food, enslaved them and put them to work looking for gold that did not exist, until they as a people did not exist.

@  Paladin : (14 October 2019 - 09:57 AM)

he landed by coincidence in front of long-term residents.

@  Sabrblade : (14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM)

He said the world was round-o! (He said the world was round-o!) He said it could be found-o! (He said it could be found-o!) That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo! (That hypothetical, calculated, son-of-a-gun, Columbo!)

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM)

In the year 1492, Columbus gave us the day off skoo

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2019 - 08:59 AM)

How often do people actually celebrate Columbus or the Pilgrims? Usually it just feels like celebrating the first break in the school year and a nice dinner with the family.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2019 - 08:29 AM)

You've got like two more weeks until the american thanksgiving. Canadian thanksgiving is literally a harvest festival.

@  CVReynolds : (14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Hey, everyone. Come together to enjoy this national holiday made to celebrate a mass-murderer who never set foot in the USA. What fun!

@  Benbot : (14 October 2019 - 07:25 AM)

that's perfect!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2019 - 02:22 AM)

A school-bus combiner called Valedictorion.

Photo
- - - - -

TMM & MED's Sugoi Bouken

134 replies to this topic

#121 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

Breakfast at this hotel had them, sadly they were cold and not hot though. Breakfast at this hotel was way better than the other one.

https://imgur.com/a/PcmetNpFirst set of pics is Namba Parks, yet another giant shopping mall but this one was like a city, parts with open air, water features, and gardens. Very nice find considering we were just looking for a Toys R Us. XD While in the gardens, there was a beautiful butterfly flying around. A couple of birds were nearby. TMM said "wouldn't it be funny if the bird ate it?" I tried to take a pic, stumbled and spooked the butterfly away. Then a bird swopped down and grabbed the butterfly. I saw it happen right in front of me before I could take the picture. TMM heard the bird's beak snap on the butterfly. It was really cool but I also felt bad for the butterfly.

https://imgur.com/a/0mt7o15Second set of pics is Osaka Castle, went around with a cousin and aunt/uncle. Top floor with the views was awfully crowded. Other floors were moderately crowded. Wasn't supposed to take pics of some of the stuff, whoops. At least I didn't use flash. After that we went for ramen and poked around the shopping arcade. We couldn't poke around as much as we would've liked since everyone wanted to look at different things. Oh well.

Tomorrow we go back to Tokyo for our last night. Family want to get together for brunch at 11am but if we go we won't have much time to poke around. Gonna see if we can get out of it and leave in the morning.

#122 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28055 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

Run into any Kamen Riders yet?

xC9l3eY.gif

#123 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

The toys are everywhere. No actual Riders, sadly.

#124 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knight is Digivolving!

• Staff
  • 13552 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

The castle looks amazing. 

fslookup.jpg

#125 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:14 PM

The inside got converted to a museum focusing mostly on the guy who built the castle and the Summer Wars. One floor had little dioramas with projections of real people acting out scenes in front, it was pretty cool. I would've preferred if they preserved the interior layout like in some castles, but it was still good. Lots of stair involved, though. XD

#126 tec

tec

Costume Goals

• Supporter
  • 31068 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Oh Zoids

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#127 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

Day 7- back to Tokyo. Went to Shibuya, saw Hachiko. Stumbled across an art store and got most of the Copic refills I wanted. Spent at least one hour at Mandrake (used comics/toys and doujin). A surprising amount of Slayers doujin, but I limited myself to two cheaper ones. Lunch was at a small pub under the hotel. Ate some cornflake/ice cream/fruit parfaits for a snack. Japanese Taco Bell for lunch. We both had okonomiyaki meals, very tasty. The fries and chips had the same taco seasoning on it. Last set of pics is the Lotte Hotel. Koala room! I was looking at the curtain for ages but couldn't find any doubles of the koala patterns.... That's crazy. :D Also, a view of Sky Tree.

Today's the last half day... Gotta find a post office to ship some stuff back.
  • tec likes this

#128 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13552 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

Cornflakes and ice cream, really? Sounds like one of combination that seemingly should not work, but clearly does.

What's okonomiyaki?

fslookup.jpg

#129 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 28055 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Cornflakes and ice cream, really? Sounds like one of combination that seemingly should not work, but clearly does.

What's okonomiyaki?

xC9l3eY.gif

#130 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Apparently I forgot to post the link from day 7.
The hotel bath was nice. Japanese style, deep and big, but not quite big enough for TMM. :D
Japan day 7- Shibuya and Lotte hotel https://imgur.com/a/6EOJ7b0

Japan Day 8- last day https://imgur.com/a/kNMY4Xx

Currently in Boston, waiting for the bus back to RI, then a short car drive to home.

#131 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 28055 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

Woot.  I see you had a nice time.  What goodies did you get?

Ironbite-for....reasons.

xC9l3eY.gif

#132 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Never to rest, always on a quest

• Supporter
  • 45217 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

Alexander? You mean the mech boss? Ha, cool.

They even played his theme when they brought it out. (Only once, not looping it as the game does during the fight, of course.)

#133 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 13552 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

Thats awesome!

Seeing all the stuff you got up to has been cool.

EDIT: I see Alexander went to the Wing Zero Custom school of mecha wing design. :)

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 17 October 2019 - 02:42 PM.

fslookup.jpg

#134 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

https://imgur.com/a/c54tzAO

Didn't take pics on the flight back this time. No window seat, and I slept through the first meal. Could've gotten it later but didn't feel like it. The 2nd meal I was already halfway through before I remembered, then didn't bother. Here's some of the swag we got. Some I'm too lazy to take pics of right now, the rest is in the box we shipped. First pic is stuff for family/friends. The glare on the top left is just a reflection of Hachiko-themed curry boxes. The torn package in the middle top is an Osaka-themed plate. Wrapping got torsn during travel, but the plate is ok. The blue doggy thing- I initially thought it was a bathmat, but it's super soft and plush, and had buttons/holes in the corners. Not sure if it's supposed to be a little capelet?

2nd pic: Mostly stuff from the FF Eorzea Cafe. Also, cheap Amiibos from the last Toys R Us we went to, whoo! Sadly the Rathalos Amiibo was $40 for a used one, so uh, nope. There were so many geeky washcloths/towels... saw everyone using these to dry their hands after the bathroom/wipe sweat off.

3rd pic: Plushes for ourselves, plus a plastic folder b/c I needed one and that was the cheapest one at the Pokemon store. The Eevee travel pillow converts to a Pokeball cushion, and an Eevee face cushion. Came quite in handy during the flight back. The fat cat is also a tiss-e box cover. :D

4th and 5th pics: Last minute things I forgot to take pics of: Spriggan (FFXIV) hoodie/scarf with hand warmers and a gacha prize. Cute little fungi-dragons that could totally be Pokemon.

Not pictured: Around 5 Copic refills, a .005 pen, gifts from family, manga and doujin, and some snacks. Also a really cool customizable multi-use pen thing- you know those pens that have a bunch of colors you can switch between? There were empty cases you could get from 3-5 slots and put what you want. Got a 3-slot one with just .005 lead so now I can more easily switch b/t lead colors when drawing.

Those of you who asked me to get you things-sorry but you'll need to wait until the box gets here. Got some stuff in there, too.

Edited by MEDdMI, 17 October 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• tec likes this

#135 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13787 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Wrap up: We did have some issues w/ getting a wifi signal but GPS was generally ok-ish, so we did alright. Will definitely rent a wifi router if we get to go again sometime. Relatives offered to house us/provide meals next time, but they aren't that close to Tokyo and plus that means more socializing. :D Last time I went was around 2003. It was tech-intense before, but now it's even more so. Every train station was we went was huge, connecting multiple lines/sides of a sprawling city. Shopping, arcades, gacha machines everywhere and lots of people. Music/video ads from every direction, barely enough room for multiple people to browse in most stores. Sadly we didn't get a chance to go outside the cities much due to the typhoon. Most food, including convenience store food, was really good. I even liked most of the iced coffees TMM tried, and I'm usually not a fan. Though he couldn't talk much due to the language barrier, my relatives were impressed that TMM was trying everything and having no trouble eating seafood or using chopsticks. If we had more money, I would've loved to stay overnight at a fancy ryokan style room w/ private outdoor onsen. Including the plane tickets, hotels, rail passes, food, and everything, estimating that we spent around $5,000 (at least half of that was the plane tickets). Definitely held back on a lot of purchases. My uncle was jokingly thanking us on behalf of the Japanese economy. :D

Motion sickness pills definitely helped with the plane turbulence. Averaged around 6hrs sleep for around a week and a half before/during the trip. During the flight back, slept on/off for most of the flight and managed to watch Godzilla. Passed out for a good 8hrs the day we came back, and 9hrs last night. Still feeling jet lagged/exhausted but I have today and tomorrow to recover. Made a quick trip to our usual Walmart yesterday, everything seems different. XD

Edited by MEDdMI, Yesterday, 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users