Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

@  Nevermore : (08 February 2020 - 06:51 AM)

MP-5 Megatron removed.

@  Bass X0 : (08 February 2020 - 05:20 AM)

MP-50 Tigatron and MP-51 Arcee revealed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 February 2020 - 02:26 PM)

SkiNNEERRR

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 February 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Superintendent Chalmers is hilarious too, or was when he was played straight. "An unrelated article." "mm hm." "Within the banner headline."

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 February 2020 - 09:03 PM)

"I'm not a real Mister but I am a real Burns I am an actual Burns..."

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Optimus looks like his Siege figure. Maybe this will be canon to the Transformers ongoing comic series at the moment.

@  Cyoti : (06 February 2020 - 05:13 PM)

iirc megatron ended up in equestria at the end of gi joe v tfs

@  wonko the sane? : (06 February 2020 - 05:02 PM)

I doubt megatron will fall for that friendship stuff.

@  Darth Gonzo : (06 February 2020 - 02:04 PM)

My Little Pony/Transformers is really happening cool!

@  Paladin : (06 February 2020 - 12:49 PM)

I don't know...

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 February 2020 - 12:39 PM)

Okay, Mr. Burns. What's your first name?

@  Paladin : (06 February 2020 - 12:21 PM)

i believe you have a letter for me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (06 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

My name is Mr Burns.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (06 February 2020 - 11:52 AM)

*Walks in and immediately disappears into a bush like Homer Simpson.*

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 February 2020 - 05:05 AM)

Crossgrin OTP

@  TriBlurr : (05 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

If anyone at IDW is reading this. Feel free to make that canon

@  TriBlurr : (05 February 2020 - 09:36 PM)

Sweet I can ship him with...*throws dart at board* Skullgrin??? Sure that works

Photo
- - - - -

Historic Notre Dame Cathedral Burns

71 replies to this topic

#41 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 2062 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Its crazy to have  such a historical building burn like that.  Granted its a mix blessing. The ability to rebuild the building with present day mind set, or better construction planning, materials, and technology. Can help this wonderful building in the long run.

#42 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46932 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

Hey Fnu....please stop ok?  I get it.  It's a historically significant building.  It is not, nor will it ever be, a symbol of the entire human race.  It's a building paid for with blood.  Beautiful, but it's still got a dark history.

I think this could use a touch of qualifying - most of the big, pretty monuments we have lying around from before the last few centuries also happen to be or have been symbols of cruelty and oppression, because that's generally how they got built in the first place. The Pyramids of Giza or something only have a different position now because you don't have a building, ideology, and practice that's in currency in the same capacity or directly mapped to one that is. It's not the origin of the building that changes. 

The Pyramids are generally understood to not be symbols of cruelty and oppression any longer, because we're getting a better sense of who actually built the things (Namely, NOT slave conscripted labor). They're ultimately...well...

#43 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18343 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

Let's keep in mind that this isn't the first disaster to befall the building.  It's been left in disrepair (the whole reason the book was written), modified, plundered, damaged by war and added to over it's long lifespan.  Also worth noting that the original renovation didn't have all the original plans, so... what we know as the Notre Dame Cathedral isn't even the original look.

They supervised a large team of sculptors, glass makers and other craftsmen who remade, working from drawings or engravings, the original decoration, or, if they did not have a model, adding new elements they felt were in the spirit of the original style.

Given its prominence in French history and worldwide notoriety, it's very likely they will rebuild it, though that will take a long time to accomplish.

That said, it's a terrible tragedy and people are right to be distressed over it, but it's by no means the end of the story for Notre Dame Cathedral.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 15 April 2019 - 08:32 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#44 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6398 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

I thought it was some sort of bad joke in the morning because it seemed impossible, how could the great Notre Dame be burning? The destruction of the spire was heartbreaking to watch. It's sad and also a bit enraging, this destruction because of some careless mishap. It seemed like it was on fire for hours before any real effort was made to intervene (but that's just from checking on it periodically.) I hope some heads roll but more importantly if they fund raise I'd happily contribute to restore this human marvel.

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50755 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

The Pyramids are generally understood to not be symbols of cruelty and oppression any longer, because we're getting a better sense of who actually built the things (Namely, NOT slave conscripted labor). They're ultimately...well...

I wasn't referring to the slave labor myth. Notre Dame didn't use any to my knowledge either.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#46 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46932 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

I thought it was some sort of bad joke in the morning because it seemed impossible, how could the great Notre Dame be burning? The destruction of the spire was heartbreaking to watch. It's sad and also a bit enraging, this destruction because of some careless mishap. It seemed like it was on fire for hours before any real effort was made to intervene (but that's just from checking on it periodically.) I hope some heads roll but more importantly if they fund raise I'd happily contribute to restore this human marvel.

Putting it out was problematic due to its Gothic architecture. As I understood it, the weight of the water used to put out the fire could have caused a major collapse of the structure itself (Hence why Gothic buildings are supported with buttresses), so they had to be really careful lest they end up doing more damage.

I wasn't referring to the slave labor myth. Notre Dame didn't use any to my knowledge either.

Fair enough. I'm tired and not communicating well at all - both here and elsewhere, so I apologize if I came off wrong.

EDIT: So it seems while Notre Dame burned...a fire also started in Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. Reports say it was put out in short order but still, the timing is...eerie.

Edited by Rust, 15 April 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#47 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10625 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

I take great relief out of the fact that no one was hurt in this fire, and that while the structure was damaged, it's nothing that cannot be restored with time and hard work. Notre Dame shall live on. Paris as a city, France as a nation and the world as a whole will not let it die.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#48 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6398 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:10 PM

Great, I was hoping something like this had happened at some point.

#49 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39739 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#50 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42742 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

Well, a skylight looks good there, at least.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#51 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21290 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

Call me a sentimental religious fool, but I call that a Miracle.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#52 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46932 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

I'm a religious fool and I call it fantastic workmanship.

#53 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3289 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

And the stained glass is still standing!

#54 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5599 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

#55 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3732 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Meanwhile, I bet you anything people at Disney are panicking about whether they should cancel or edit their upcoming Hunchback remake out of concerns that parts of it will be "too soon".

Just announce that a portion of the revenue will be donated to the rebuilding effort.

Any profit the film makes after production costs and marketing, should be given to the fund to restore this grand old lady to her former glory.

I know from what I've read that the French President is saying within five years but I got this feeling it will take twice as long because its going to be a long and painful reconstruction, the Stain Glass widows will have to have their panels removed and examined because of the fire.

Its crazy to have  such a historical building burn like that.  Granted its a mix blessing. The ability to rebuild the building with present day mind set, or better construction planning, materials, and technology. Can help this wonderful building in the long run.

This old lady going to take a lot for rebuilding because they got to deal with the underlaying issues that were present prior to the fire, the stone work in places is crumbling, so restoration will likely be slow and painful

From what I understand, part of the reason it took so long, aside from trying to save many of the tressures within as humany possible, the roof was made of lead and it was hard to get water into the area where the fire started, plus they had to battle to prevent the two towers from going up in flames as well.

There will be a lot of work ahead of the people whose job is to sort out this mess but the first thing is to remove the staffolding surounding the building and replace it and then cover up the roof to shield her from the elements, then they are likely to begin slowly removing the mess within, its not going in skips or off to recycling centres, they are going to be examined by experts. About the only way to sum up what must be done is "The Notre Dame war has begun" The first battle has been won but furrier battles lay a head, but she is strong at eight hundred and fiffty years young, this is nothing, I hope she stands for centuries to come.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#56 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16974 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Apparently the reason the interior damage wasn't worse is because medieval architects assumed the wooden roofs might catch fire someday and so constructed stone vaults beneath the roof to catch burning falling wood. Which is exactly what happened, 854 years later. Now THAT'S an insurance policy.

The roof, btw, had been made of 13,000 oak trees (not a typo), exactly one plank per tree, and each over 300 years old when cut. They don't make 'em like they used to.

#57 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50755 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

In case anyone thought that deforestation was a 20th century problem. X ]

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#58 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3289 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

Apparently the reason the interior damage wasn't worse is because medieval architects assumed the wooden roofs might catch fire someday and so constructed stone vaults beneath the roof to catch burning falling wood. Which is exactly what happened, 854 years later. Now THAT'S an insurance policy.

Doesn't surprise me since cities back then were much more vulnerable to fire.

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50755 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Fair enough. I'm tired and not communicating well at all - both here and elsewhere, so I apologize if I came off wrong.

Sorry, by the way. I wasn't communicating very clearly myself. = [

#60 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4495 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

Now I wonder how much of the reconstruction will follow the original designs to the letter for the sake of tradition and how much they'll update. Making the roof or literally anything else out of lead nowadays is right out, obviously, but they might also want to reconsider using that much wood.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users