Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

Photo
- - - - -

Historic Notre Dame Cathedral Burns

71 replies to this topic

#41 Skids

Skids

Get your quest on.

• Supporter
  • 2060 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Its crazy to have  such a historical building burn like that.  Granted its a mix blessing. The ability to rebuild the building with present day mind set, or better construction planning, materials, and technology. Can help this wonderful building in the long run.

#42 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46504 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

Hey Fnu....please stop ok?  I get it.  It's a historically significant building.  It is not, nor will it ever be, a symbol of the entire human race.  It's a building paid for with blood.  Beautiful, but it's still got a dark history.

I think this could use a touch of qualifying - most of the big, pretty monuments we have lying around from before the last few centuries also happen to be or have been symbols of cruelty and oppression, because that's generally how they got built in the first place. The Pyramids of Giza or something only have a different position now because you don't have a building, ideology, and practice that's in currency in the same capacity or directly mapped to one that is. It's not the origin of the building that changes. 

The Pyramids are generally understood to not be symbols of cruelty and oppression any longer, because we're getting a better sense of who actually built the things (Namely, NOT slave conscripted labor). They're ultimately...well...

#43 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mummy...?

• Supporter
  • 18245 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

Let's keep in mind that this isn't the first disaster to befall the building.  It's been left in disrepair (the whole reason the book was written), modified, plundered, damaged by war and added to over it's long lifespan.  Also worth noting that the original renovation didn't have all the original plans, so... what we know as the Notre Dame Cathedral isn't even the original look.

They supervised a large team of sculptors, glass makers and other craftsmen who remade, working from drawings or engravings, the original decoration, or, if they did not have a model, adding new elements they felt were in the spirit of the original style.

Given its prominence in French history and worldwide notoriety, it's very likely they will rebuild it, though that will take a long time to accomplish.

That said, it's a terrible tragedy and people are right to be distressed over it, but it's by no means the end of the story for Notre Dame Cathedral.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 15 April 2019 - 08:32 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#44 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6323 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

I thought it was some sort of bad joke in the morning because it seemed impossible, how could the great Notre Dame be burning? The destruction of the spire was heartbreaking to watch. It's sad and also a bit enraging, this destruction because of some careless mishap. It seemed like it was on fire for hours before any real effort was made to intervene (but that's just from checking on it periodically.) I hope some heads roll but more importantly if they fund raise I'd happily contribute to restore this human marvel.

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

The Pyramids are generally understood to not be symbols of cruelty and oppression any longer, because we're getting a better sense of who actually built the things (Namely, NOT slave conscripted labor). They're ultimately...well...

I wasn't referring to the slave labor myth. Notre Dame didn't use any to my knowledge either.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#46 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46504 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

I thought it was some sort of bad joke in the morning because it seemed impossible, how could the great Notre Dame be burning? The destruction of the spire was heartbreaking to watch. It's sad and also a bit enraging, this destruction because of some careless mishap. It seemed like it was on fire for hours before any real effort was made to intervene (but that's just from checking on it periodically.) I hope some heads roll but more importantly if they fund raise I'd happily contribute to restore this human marvel.

Putting it out was problematic due to its Gothic architecture. As I understood it, the weight of the water used to put out the fire could have caused a major collapse of the structure itself (Hence why Gothic buildings are supported with buttresses), so they had to be really careful lest they end up doing more damage.

I wasn't referring to the slave labor myth. Notre Dame didn't use any to my knowledge either.

Fair enough. I'm tired and not communicating well at all - both here and elsewhere, so I apologize if I came off wrong.

EDIT: So it seems while Notre Dame burned...a fire also started in Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. Reports say it was put out in short order but still, the timing is...eerie.

Edited by Rust, 15 April 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#47 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10520 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

I take great relief out of the fact that no one was hurt in this fire, and that while the structure was damaged, it's nothing that cannot be restored with time and hard work. Notre Dame shall live on. Paris as a city, France as a nation and the world as a whole will not let it die.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#48 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6323 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:10 PM

Great, I was hoping something like this had happened at some point.

#49 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39125 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:16 AM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#50 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 42316 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

Well, a skylight looks good there, at least.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#51 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21177 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

Call me a sentimental religious fool, but I call that a Miracle.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#52 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46504 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:59 AM

I'm a religious fool and I call it fantastic workmanship.

#53 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3229 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

ccHfBkf.jpg

She's still beautiful.

And the stained glass is still standing!

#54 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5407 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

#55 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3590 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

Meanwhile, I bet you anything people at Disney are panicking about whether they should cancel or edit their upcoming Hunchback remake out of concerns that parts of it will be "too soon".

Just announce that a portion of the revenue will be donated to the rebuilding effort.

Any profit the film makes after production costs and marketing, should be given to the fund to restore this grand old lady to her former glory.

I know from what I've read that the French President is saying within five years but I got this feeling it will take twice as long because its going to be a long and painful reconstruction, the Stain Glass widows will have to have their panels removed and examined because of the fire.

Its crazy to have  such a historical building burn like that.  Granted its a mix blessing. The ability to rebuild the building with present day mind set, or better construction planning, materials, and technology. Can help this wonderful building in the long run.

This old lady going to take a lot for rebuilding because they got to deal with the underlaying issues that were present prior to the fire, the stone work in places is crumbling, so restoration will likely be slow and painful

From what I understand, part of the reason it took so long, aside from trying to save many of the tressures within as humany possible, the roof was made of lead and it was hard to get water into the area where the fire started, plus they had to battle to prevent the two towers from going up in flames as well.

There will be a lot of work ahead of the people whose job is to sort out this mess but the first thing is to remove the staffolding surounding the building and replace it and then cover up the roof to shield her from the elements, then they are likely to begin slowly removing the mess within, its not going in skips or off to recycling centres, they are going to be examined by experts. About the only way to sum up what must be done is "The Notre Dame war has begun" The first battle has been won but furrier battles lay a head, but she is strong at eight hundred and fiffty years young, this is nothing, I hope she stands for centuries to come.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#56 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16869 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Apparently the reason the interior damage wasn't worse is because medieval architects assumed the wooden roofs might catch fire someday and so constructed stone vaults beneath the roof to catch burning falling wood. Which is exactly what happened, 854 years later. Now THAT'S an insurance policy.

The roof, btw, had been made of 13,000 oak trees (not a typo), exactly one plank per tree, and each over 300 years old when cut. They don't make 'em like they used to.

#57 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:16 PM

In case anyone thought that deforestation was a 20th century problem. X ]

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#58 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3229 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:26 PM

Apparently the reason the interior damage wasn't worse is because medieval architects assumed the wooden roofs might catch fire someday and so constructed stone vaults beneath the roof to catch burning falling wood. Which is exactly what happened, 854 years later. Now THAT'S an insurance policy.

Doesn't surprise me since cities back then were much more vulnerable to fire.

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Fair enough. I'm tired and not communicating well at all - both here and elsewhere, so I apologize if I came off wrong.

Sorry, by the way. I wasn't communicating very clearly myself. = [

#60 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4383 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

Now I wonder how much of the reconstruction will follow the original designs to the letter for the sake of tradition and how much they'll update. Making the roof or literally anything else out of lead nowadays is right out, obviously, but they might also want to reconsider using that much wood.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users