Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

Photo
- - - - -

S9, Ep 3: "Uprooted"......................(SPOILERS)

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 5092 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

secondary_six_by_freeedon_dc6z072-pre.jp

The final season continues with another episode!

And this time it'll be with the Student Six.

What adventure will our little group of students go on?

New episode airs Saturday, April 13th

11:30a.m. EST / 8:30a.m. PST

----------------------------------------------------------

SYNOPSIS!

the_student_six_by_cheezedoodle96_dc7mk5

UPROOTED:

The Young Six respond to a magical summons from the Tree of Harmony, only to learn it has been destroyed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

student_six_by_greenflyart-dcaw527.png

Come visit us in our Allsparkle Discord Chat as the new episode airs in the US!

#2 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41246 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Yeah... so the harmony tree is dead... does this mean the map doesn't work anymore?

#3 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

Yeah... so the harmony tree is dead... does this mean the map doesn't work anymore?

I think the map works just fine, still, the elements of harmony are likely now sort of spread across the land with the mane six and the student six being the primary users while the map calls upon certain ponies because their talents are needed for the problem, as per normal, now I wonder if the map will call Luna or Celestia for a problem, give them some spotlight, seeing as they are "retiring" from ruling the land.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#4 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10126 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:42 PM

We don't know. I imagine this episode will clarify things one way or another.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#5 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16806 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight, with a special guest star!

---Dave

Edited by Dvandom, 12 April 2019 - 10:25 PM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#6 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5017 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

Not too bad. I enjoyed the later half more then the first.

I wonder if one day the three will be able to walk around in a makeshift pony body?

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#7 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37447 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

DvandomToday at 11:27 AM
Morning

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:28 AM
Mornin'

DvandomToday at 11:30 AM
So, dreamscape.
The irony...getting naked in a dream is LESS embarrassing.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:32 AM
Spirit of the tree lives!
I see a Fnu.
Wait, are you on mobile this time?

DvandomToday at 11:33 AM
That's what the icon says.

FnuAwToday at 11:33 AM
Talking on mobile.
Had to watch on laptop.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:33 AM
First time I've seen the mobile icon for Discord.

DvandomToday at 11:34 AM
I heard the Discord notification bleep from the phone of one of my students last week.

FnuAwToday at 11:35 AM
The students!

DvandomToday at 11:37 AM
In this universe, that MIGHT work...
"Whatever, go away." signature.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:40 AM
Baby changelings. Cute.

FnuAwToday at 11:40 AM
So permission slips are still a thing? Schools aren't just doing whatever they want yet?

DvandomToday at 11:40 AM
Seaquestrian powerpoint.
Congratulations, you killed a sapling by putting it in a cave.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:41 AM
What have you done, Sandbar?

FnuAwToday at 11:46 AM
Yup. Such a Griffin.

DvandomToday at 11:49 AM
Okay, act two: solid sitcom cliche.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:50 AM
They've thoroughly destroyed that cave. What a mess.
Yona is the only sensible one.

DvandomToday at 11:53 AM
Schooled by a yak.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:53 AM
Yak smash stupidity.

DvandomToday at 11:54 AM
Smashing commemorates transitory nature of life.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:54 AM
We got a song!

DvandomToday at 11:56 AM
Nails go into crystal? Oookay.
OSHA might have some words with them.
Fortress of non-Solitude!
"The Tree has always been a bit of a drama queen."

FnuAwToday at 11:59 AM
Tree spirit is still creepy.

Guardian PrimeToday at 11:59 AM
That was interesting.
The last half, anyway.

FnuAwToday at 12:00 PM
It's season 5 all over again.

Guardian PrimeToday at 12:02 PM
Tree of Harmony gets a massive upgrade. Guess we'll have to wait on seeing what it looks like on the inside.

FnuAwToday at 12:03 PM
This does indicate the Student Six are going to be important this season if they get their own playset headquarters.
It is going to feel cheap if we never get an explanation for this tree beyond being a deus ex Swiss amy knife.

Guardian PrimeToday at 12:11 PM
I've gotta run. Catch y'all later.

DvandomToday at 12:11 PM
l8r

Okay episode. It's great to know that the students are going to be important this season.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#8 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Just watched the latest ep, at first I thought "Discord!" because of the wackness of the setting but as the story progressed, the truth of that was revealed as a dream. Anyway, this ep, was one of those feel good eps, it felt like the writter put a lot of heart into this one, by the end, I had shed a bit of a tear and that doesn't happen offen with me, everything felt rather natural and not forced to work for sake the story and lesson of the week. In general, I quite enjoyed this ep, but one thing for certain, the Former Tree of Harmony has taken on a life of its own, even if it does like to impersonate Twilight, so its now pretty much the Tree House of Harmony, thou Spike asked the right question, who going to show us around, I hope we see the inside soon and I think the student six will make it their hang out spot, just as Twilight and friends have Twilight's castle and the CMC have their club house on the Apple farm.

#9 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 10126 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

I have mixed feelings about this episode.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the main plot of the episode was something that needed to be done. Doing something to remember and honor the destroyed Tree of Harmony? Sounds like a fair plot to me. Heck, it could've been a neat thing if done properly - have the four groups with the strongest connection to the Tree (the Pillars, the Princesses, the Mane Six and the Student Six) come together to do that would have been interesting. Heck, just having the Pillars and the Student Six together would've been a fun episode.

But they didn't do that. They just focused on the Student Six. Admittedly, if they had gone that route, they'd have just been repeating Castle Sweet Castle, but still, it feels like everyone outside of the Student Six is too busy with one thing or another to properly recognize and let go of the Tree of Harmony. At least with Golden Oak Library, how things were handled was more understandable.

Anyway, the Student Six all attempting their own way to honor the Tree? That's fine, they're all looking at it from their own unique lenses, and there's no shame in that. And I'm glad that Yona's solution was the one they went with - Ocellus remains my favorite of the Student Six, but Yona will always be Best Yak.

After that, however, I get annoyed with the writers. It's like they're trying to go backsies on the big world-changing thing from the premiere. Tree of Harmony destroyed? Let's have the students build a treehouse, and have that treehouse turn into a new magic Treehouse of Harmony that could conceivably produce new Elements of Harmony! Also, the Tree's only showing projections to the Student Six - we have no evidence that it's done so with the Manes, or anypony else whom it has a connection with. I don't know what the writers' intent is here, but as it is, it feels like the Tree's playing favorites.

Edited by Echowarrior, 13 April 2019 - 09:51 PM.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#10 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

It could be that the Tree is ensuring if the Manesix are seperated and unable to unite at the critical time, there will be another group who can come together and use its magic to save the land from the evil force, it also could be preparing for a time when the Mane six time has passed and there needs to be another group to stand up to those who do bad things, it could also be ensuring that its power grow to go beyond Equesita into the other lands and bring harmony to those places, pretty much I would say the Tree could be out to conquer the world, in its own way, just not rule it as the villians want to do.

#11 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37447 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:56 AM

Imagine though. Imagine the tree turns out to be the final boss.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#12 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2998 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Now that would be a intersting twist, depending how its handled, of course there could always be the Tree of Disharmony, you know, the counter balance and it could be the source of Discord's magic but he is unaware of its existance and he believes the magic is his alone, he is pretty much the most powerful single being in that world.

#13 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

• Citizen
  • 10126 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

I know at least two fans who would love for that to happen, for Twilight and company to decide to just turn on the Tree of Harmony and tell it where to shove it. One of them was actually glad Sombra destroyed the thing, because he'd become convinced that the Tree was a manipulative monster in its own right, and was genuinely unhappy at how this episode went because the Tree and its' 'Spirit' continued on to manipulate and endanger others.

The showrunners won't go for it, however, for any number of reasons.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...

#14 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41246 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

Now that would be a intersting twist, depending how its handled, of course there could always be the Tree of Disharmony, you know, the counter balance and it could be the source of Discord's magic but he is unaware of its existance and he believes the magic is his alone, he is pretty much the most powerful single being in that world.
That would be the everfree forest. Dangerous flora and fauna that operates through magic and by it's own ruleset. And without something to suppress it; able to spread quickly enough to directly threaten the world.

I thought the world was bad enough with just the ridiculous number of apex predators we had seen by season 3: but their own ecosystem is balanced on a magical razor's edge.

But yeah, good episode, I enjoyed it.

#15 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 16806 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

"Get out of our galaxy!"

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#16 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5017 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:13 AM

Well if I had to guess (and I do, it's not like we'll ever get an actual answer) I'd say the tree's projection appeared to the Student Six, because they are basically the only one's it's tried to "talk' with. Or to look at it another way. The tree has the elements of harmony, and the mane six are connected to those elements, but the tree itself connected and talked to the student six, so it has a connection to them, while the mane six were more connected to JUST the elements, which are gone now.

So it talks to them, and it's them who has the best chance of bringing it back, it's spirit still connected to all of theirs.

I pretty much knew the tree couldn't be just GONE from the fact it had projected it's image to the student six before. It's become a self aware being. No way it'd just die like that.

Spoiler

#17 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37447 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:30 AM

If the tree turned out to be a manipulative monster playing a very long game tricking minions into restoring its power, the buildup would be a runaway success.

It would feel fitting if ponies completely misunderstood its power and have been using it for good all this time.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#18 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41246 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:12 PM

You did WHAT to the timber wolves?!?!? Do you ponies have ANY IDEA how long it takes to teach a pine tree to sit up and hugging BEG!

#19 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5017 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:12 PM

If the tree turned out to be a manipulative monster playing a very long game tricking minions into restoring its power, the buildup would be a runaway success.

It would feel fitting if ponies completely misunderstood its power and have been using it for good all this time.

Thankfully I'm sure that won't happen.

Yeah sorry but I'd HATE that. It just seems like an unnecessary twist for the sake of having a twist.

Spoiler

#20 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37447 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

Well, this is why I should not be a writer for kids' shows.

B5ofTKU.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users