Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (26 April 2019 - 12:11 AM)

After "Secret Wars", Marvel's comic sales dropped for most of their series but it wasn't bad enough to be worried about. I think. What homages, exactly?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2019 - 09:31 PM)

Kamen Rider Specter Tutankhamun Soul was definitely a thing.

@  B-Fox : (25 April 2019 - 09:30 PM)

How popular is Marvel's current comics? Because the homages to it got very anemic audience reactions.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM)

An Egyptian themed version of a popular Japanese TV show: Tutankhamun Rider

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

combine the two options. Grayffles or Waffson

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:43 PM)

split the difference- "Ryan" after the Titanium Ranger.

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:10 PM)

The second name choice is "Waffles", named after Goofy's gray tabby cat from Goof Troop. It's a cuter name than "Grayson" and the kitten is definitely adorable, but his colors aren't as close a match to the namesake as one of his sibling's colors are (said sibling is already spoken for, so I can't name that one).

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

The first name choice is "Grayson", because he's gray and a son, and I think the name sounds cool. It also makes me think of Carter Grayson, the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, who was a born leader and one of the coolest Red Rangers.

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

"Lamont."

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:06 PM)

I need help deciding on a name for one of the kittens. He's an all-gray cat but is also showing early signs of growing some black stripes in his fur. There are two names I've thought of for him and can't decide which one I like more.

@  Telly : (25 April 2019 - 01:31 PM)

got the second part of first gundam, popped it in and wow! picture miles better than my old dvds. other than the archaic animation (which i dont mind), it looks like it was done recently

@  Xellos : (25 April 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Aye, or at least the movies for Zeta, as they supposedly negate ZZ, kinda like how the Code Geass clip movies retcon some events before the newest one.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek animated series on Nickelodeon?

9 replies to this topic

#1 CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob
  • Citizen
  • 86 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:57 PM

variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-animated-show-nickelodeon-1203138869/

What do you hope to see? What are your expectations? Will it be as good as the 70s Star Trek cartoon?

#2 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9234 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

Separate from the upcoming also-animated Star Trek: Lower Decks, eh? Fascinating.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#3 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12616 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:49 AM

Wait, another animated Trek idea?

fslookup.jpg

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41261 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:44 AM

Trek is a surprisingly good idea to take to animation; You can do stuff that isn't possible on a TV budget and special effects. I'm very interested in both series mentioned here.

#5 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38397 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:40 AM

I'd probably need to see the designs first before I could care.  I... don't really need another comedy take on a generally serious property, and those writing credits don't really tide me over.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#6 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9078 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

It's been rumored to be a Starfleet Academy series.  That seems like a reasonable idea to aim at Nick's demographics.

I like the idea of a show that shows Star Trek ideals to kids.  I don't know if it's something that I'll actually get excited about watching.  I mean, it's Star Trek.  I will watch it.  But I might not be excited about it.

#7 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1853 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Vu1ybdZdl3I

Edited by Ryougabot, 11 April 2019 - 08:34 AM.

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#8 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41261 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

It's been rumored to be a Starfleet Academy series.  That seems like a reasonable idea to aim at Nick's demographics.

I like the idea of a show that shows Star Trek ideals to kids.  I don't know if it's something that I'll actually get excited about watching.  I mean, it's Star Trek.  I will watch it.  But I might not be excited about it.

As long as it pushes acceptance, the importance of diversity and education: then yeah, it's a great idea and one I would gladly support for my nieces and nephews.

If it's a starfleet academy full of fart jokes, then the whole damn thing can go die in a dumpster fire.

#9 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38397 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

I'm kind of worried it'll just be some kind of generic thing like the Disney Marvel cartoons or painfully shallow stuff like a lot of Cartoon Network's output these days.  Worst case scenario would be, say, a trailer that ended up looking like that Thundercats Roar teaser from last year.  I'm not quite sure what best case would be.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#10 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11037 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

Best case would probably be something like Netflix's Voltron at Starfleet Academy.

What I'd really like to see is a Clone Wars-style series, maybe set in the Lost Era (between Star Trek VI and TNG). Maybe a Captain Sulu series (either Hikaru on the Excelsior or Demora on the Enterprise after Harriman retires). Or maybe a spy series focusing on Saavik while she was working for Uhura at Starfleet Intelligence (and we know how much CBS loves Section 31, so there's your plot: Uhura discovers S31 and makes it her mission to clean house).

For that matter, the Lost Era would be a perfect setting for cameos, as the DSC/TOS characters would be verging on retirement, and the older TNG/DS9/Voy characters would be just entering the Academy (and some of them would have parents on active duty).

Edited by Cybersnark, 11 April 2019 - 12:53 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users