Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  fourteenwings : (26 April 2019 - 12:11 AM)

After "Secret Wars", Marvel's comic sales dropped for most of their series but it wasn't bad enough to be worried about. I think. What homages, exactly?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (25 April 2019 - 09:31 PM)

Kamen Rider Specter Tutankhamun Soul was definitely a thing.

@  B-Fox : (25 April 2019 - 09:30 PM)

How popular is Marvel's current comics? Because the homages to it got very anemic audience reactions.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM)

An Egyptian themed version of a popular Japanese TV show: Tutankhamun Rider

@  MEDdMI : (25 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

combine the two options. Grayffles or Waffson

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:43 PM)

split the difference- "Ryan" after the Titanium Ranger.

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:10 PM)

The second name choice is "Waffles", named after Goofy's gray tabby cat from Goof Troop. It's a cuter name than "Grayson" and the kitten is definitely adorable, but his colors aren't as close a match to the namesake as one of his sibling's colors are (said sibling is already spoken for, so I can't name that one).

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

The first name choice is "Grayson", because he's gray and a son, and I think the name sounds cool. It also makes me think of Carter Grayson, the Red Ranger from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue, who was a born leader and one of the coolest Red Rangers.

@  Paladin : (25 April 2019 - 05:07 PM)

"Lamont."

@  Sabrblade : (25 April 2019 - 05:06 PM)

I need help deciding on a name for one of the kittens. He's an all-gray cat but is also showing early signs of growing some black stripes in his fur. There are two names I've thought of for him and can't decide which one I like more.

@  Telly : (25 April 2019 - 01:31 PM)

got the second part of first gundam, popped it in and wow! picture miles better than my old dvds. other than the archaic animation (which i dont mind), it looks like it was done recently

@  Xellos : (25 April 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Aye, or at least the movies for Zeta, as they supposedly negate ZZ, kinda like how the Code Geass clip movies retcon some events before the newest one.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:05 PM)

i wish theyd dub double zeta. thats the only one im missing for the "amuro vs char" thing (and chars not even in it so...). but given some of the things ive heard about it, its probly best that they dont dub it

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:02 PM)

and im on vacation next week so ill have lots of time to watch all this lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 11:01 PM)

@zaku ive got war in the pocket on standard dvd already. amazon didnt have it on blu ray. bonus points to it for having character designs by haruhiku mikimoto. and this collecction is only "new" in as much as its new to me on blu ray. ive had burnt dvd copies of it all for years

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 09:44 PM)

Yeah, 00 was pretty good, and I recently watched Build Divers, and found it really fun. Got both limited editions of IBO... still need to watch them...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM)

00 is also pretty good, basically a refined version of the Wing concept, and IBO is great.

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 April 2019 - 08:29 PM)

I'll be the requisite "Build Fighters is actually pretty good" chime in

@  MEDdMI : (24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

G Gundam was the best. Horse mecha! Piloted by.... a HORSE!

@  ZakuConvoy : (24 April 2019 - 07:31 PM)

I'd probably recommend tracking down 0080 War in the Pocket to go along with your new collection, but you might have enough to watch for right now.

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:53 PM)

G Gundam will likely always rank first for me, as it is the one I find the most fun, but 8th MS was great for being the most "realistic" of the UC stuff.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:17 PM)

the only other gundam series ive watched-which was also the FIRST gundam series i watched-is wing (and ill probly get that on blu ray soon too). i know i havent watched everything tied to it, but the UC is quite enough for me lol

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 06:14 PM)

i think 8th team is my favorite, but cant say why. maybe it has something to do with them not being newtypes. i dont particularly like that concept

@  Xellos : (24 April 2019 - 06:11 PM)

8th M Team, 0083, and Zeta are my favorites of the original timeline. Have yet to watch Origin, but it is loooow on my list, as I never particularly liked Char. Quattro Bajeena was actually kinda cool, though.

@  Telly : (24 April 2019 - 05:49 PM)

so i just did something insane. i bought gundam origin, first gundam, 08th ms team, operation stardust, zeta gundam AND chars counterattack on bluray...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Hollywood stereotypes, eh? Don't get me started on how sheerly unrealistic that can be, and how badly Hollywood loves to stick to them.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:44 PM)

Also, fun fact: To me, Dutch is the language that sounds harsh compared to German.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:37 PM)

Generally, nobody shouts at each other in Germany unless they're either a) morons or b) doing it for comedic effect.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:36 PM)

... based on an outdated way of speaking (I mean, does anyone in the US still speak like Joe Friday?)... which might also have been at least partially a regional thing.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Generally, many native English speakers' primary conception of the German language and its perceived harshness comes from Hollywood movies... created by non-native German speakers, with non-native German actors giving their impression of what they think the German language sounds like...

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 05:33 PM)

I might be severely biased, but as a native German speaker, I think the perception of the "harsh German language" is at least in part due to a myth created by Hollywood.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (24 April 2019 - 05:32 PM)

I wish I knew if that Blue autobot in the background in the movie Bumblebee was Blurr.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 April 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Blood is blue before coming into contact with air from outside.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 April 2019 - 09:50 AM)

I had to use a whole ten percent of my brain to understand that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 April 2019 - 08:32 AM)

I think I saw a debunking of that like at least a decade ago when I still relied on TV for things.

@  Paladin : (24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM)

isn't the whole "lemmings jump to their death" thing proven false now too???

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix better cartoons than CN, Nick, and Disney Channel.

17 replies to this topic

#1 CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob
  • Citizen
  • 86 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

This is just IMO, but Netflix has been putting out better cartoons than CN, Nickelodeon and Disney Channel these days. Dragon Prince and Hilda are better than most of the content the big 3 have been churning out lately. Why do you think that is?

#2 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1482 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

To generalize about things I don't really follow;

The Disney Channel actively kills it's cartoons. If I remember correctly the second season of Tangled got shelved to Germany and hasn't been shown anywhere else. Right now they're promoting 101 Dalmatians Street, which doesn't feel like it'll last very long. They do have Star though, everyone likes Star. When that ends ala Gravity Falls they'll probably have a good replacement on hand.

I think Tangled messed up their TV Princess lineup, which had been set up nicely by Sofia and was kind of squandered by Elena. The Disney Channel also has a greater focus on live-action, with the cartoons mostly bolstering the schedule.

Oh because this is something only I would forget; Disney Channel how has Rebooted DuckTales, and I think everyone loves that. Milo Murphy's Law also followed in Phineas and Ferb's footsteps without seeming like a ripoff.

Nickelodeon can't stop making things nobody wants or new versions of The Loud House (which I guess fits in the former but still counts). Nickelodeon is also very good at killing shows off, like when they switched Star Falls from the main channel to TeenNick, at which point decent ratings basically imploded. Nickelodeon has a good live-action game though, but unlike the Disney Channel it's not their main focus.

Cartoon Network... I think they're doing okay strategy-wise. New episodes of Bakugan debut every month on the app and then air on the schedule. I think most of their shows do this?

They have Steven Universe, which, like Star, is basically part of the modern cartoon zeitgeist. That's something Netflix can't really say yet. Gumball is also still on, and Gumball is an extremely clever show. As for story-driven shows, I guess that's where they're lacking? There's Ninjago, but I don't really know how that's been on this long aside from the LEGO theme is ongoing. They also have the new DC Super Hero Girls show coming up this year and as much as I hate the new dolls, the show itself is fire.

But also things Netflix actually put out (and in some cases, is still putting out):

• The Trolls show which has been getting new episodes so frequently that it's hard to remember there isn't even a Trolls 2 yet. It literally feels like Netflix's signature cartoon.
  • Pinky Malinky, which is like... why.

The thing is though, that Netflix definitely puts out more individual shows per year than possibly all three combined, and that's gotta hurt. Netflix do tend to in turn burn their producing partners (DHX Media, Mattel Entertainment, Rainbow S.p.a, I could go on) more than help so we've seen everybody aside from Dreamworks sort of pull away.

Plus, Netflix shows seem to be super-bad at selling toys. For example, Mattel only licensed Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures to them in the US, everywhere else it's on traditional TV. Trolls is a movie series first, and everything other than blindbags from the line have failed anyways. I will concede that Hasbro's Super Monsters may be changing this, but toddler toys tend to do okay no matter what.

Explaining all this though I realized one thing; the real majority of cartoons and children's programming comes from independent producers licensing their content to various channels all over the world, and that may be who Netflix is trying to compete with.

Netflix is also not great at putting out live-action kid's shows. Seems Alexa & Katie's cancer theme was a bit much and it kind of died down after the initial buzz. That show about a kid who met a king or whatever felt like a Disney XD reject. A toned-down DIsney XD reject, which is a lot to say when a channel has 'Disney' right in the name.

There's a big series coming up, I think, can't remember the details of it aside from it maybe featuring a gay main cast member (which of course I would remember) but it'll surely be wiped to bits by High School Musical The Musical, which is this basically year's Teen Streaming Big Big Deal, over on Disney+.

To answer your question; Netflix probably has better story-driven programming, but that's because that works on their platform. Unfortunately, that's not what works overall in the children's animation market. In terms of brand-building and overall awareness on just animated programming, I would put it a distant fourth after:

1. Cartoon Network;
  2. Disney Channel and;
  3. Independent Studios that Co-Produce or License

Edited by fourteenwings, 08 April 2019 - 09:19 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Elon Musk's 'Biggest Fan'✰

#3 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64447 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

I believe I saw a commercial for more Tangled.

It's a shame that Mercury Filmworks went to work on that series rather than staying on Star VS The Forces of Evil.  As there work on that was amazing.

ACItEK8.png

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11037 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

Tangled has been airing in Canada. At the moment we seem to be only one ep behind (latest episode on my PVR is 2-17 "Mirror, Mirror," while watchcartoonsonline has 2-18 "You're Kidding Me").

(Season 2 was re-branded as Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure, which may be where the confusion lies.)

#5 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1482 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

Seems it is back/has been for a while.

As for the animation studio; from what I've seen, Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure is really, really pretty, so at least it wasn't a total loss.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16845 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

Hmm current Cartoons that I watch and think are generally great:

Milo Murphy's Law
Craig of the Creek
Steven Universe
Star vs the Forces of Evil
Trollhunters/3 Below/Tales of Arcadia
Hilda
Ducktales
Wee Bare Bear
MLP:FIM
Star Wars Resistance
She-Ra
Transformers Cyberverse

That's a few I really like from everybody but Nick I think. Looks pretty balanced with that exception.

-ZacWilliam, would not be surprised if he's forgotten one or two really awesome shows but these are the ones that sprung to mind.(Edit: How the heck did I forget Steven! :p)

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 April 2019 - 12:04 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8887 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:58 AM

Ya actually the season 2 finale of Tangled is next Sunday, they have been posting 2 episodes a week for the last month or so. Its actually had some really interesting episodes lately.

But really I havent watched a lot of cartoons outside of Disney Channel and Netflix. Since TMNT 2012 ended Nick hasnt had anything for me other than the new Power Rangers, and other than Cyberverse and lack of new Steven, CN has nothing I want to watch lately. I could actually skip Toonami most nights since the only thing I have been watching is the dub of SAO, although I will start the dub of Promised Neverland this week.

Disney has actually been almost having a series of interest consistently lately. Ducktales, Tangled, Big Hero 6, SW Resistance, and even a couple of mild concerns to me like Star VS, and Milo Murphys Law. And even with my least favorite look of the art style Pokémon Sun and Moon has been a fun series so far.

Netflix has quite the influx of animation compared to the broadcast networks anymore, but I cant say that the majority of it is worth watching. Of its original shows before bringing in anime, I feel about half of Dreamworks animation is alright. Voltron was cool but over now. She-Ra is ok so far. The Tales of Arcadia franchise has been great overall. But then theres the glut of movie spin offs that maybe alright but I have no real interest in myself. I think the only other non anime

I have watched recently has been Stretch Armstrong. Dragon Prince has promise narratively but I have a hard time getting past that janky cgi.

And man the proliferation of adult animation has exploded on there. I really dont care for it most of the time as I really dont care for crude or exploitive humor but occasionally something comes out worth watching like Love, Death and Robots. Everyone needs to look at that and find at least one episode they will like. So far the two episodes I would recommend would be Three Robots and Good Hunting, but most other episodes have been pretty good too. Maurice LaMarche in The Day the Yogurt Took Over gave me a really dry humored Futurama vibe with just how oddball it was and him doing that deadpan narrative.

But overall its just kind of depending on taste whether anything is working for you or not. I eagerly await new Ducktales episodes next month.

#8 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6580 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Nick hasn't had any cartoon of interest for me since Turtles ended.

I liked Adventure Time and Regular Show on CN a lot. Gumball, Bears, and Craig are ok.

Disney had Phineas and Ferb which is great, and Gravity Falls. Star is good, Milo is ok.

Nothing of interest on Netflix
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#9 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

I really should continue watching Rise of TMNT because it's freneticrazy. But I haven't caught up with Cyberverse, yikes.

Love, Death and Robots is the bomb! Well, some of them are.

Good Hunting and Lucky 13 are transformer-y, sorta. Three Robots seems to be everybody's favorite.

Blindspot and Suits are all very cool action robot-y stuff. Zima Blue is more thoughtful with a Dance Central art style.

Secret War, Shapeshifters, Sucker of Souls are supernaturally goodness.

I'm surprised there was no fuss about it here in Allspark.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#10 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1135 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I have not kept up watching weekly series for a number of years, live action (Stargate Universe was the last) or western animation. I do often buy the BDs for stuff I am interested in, and do eventually watch some of them. Eventually. I wish more would be brought out on BD though, like the new Duck Tales...

Now while this topic is more along the lines of animation specifically made for each network, the only stuff I watch with consistency and weekly is stuff the Funimation is simuldubbing. Some great stuff, but I also fall back into the Toonami trap where I often would wait quite a while to buy the BDs because I have already watched them once, whereas I am more likely to spend my money on stuff I have not.

Except for Aniplex relea$e$.

I mean, I like to save money, but collecting anime, movies, and TV shows is my hobby second only to collecting Transformers.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#11 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8887 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

Here's one of the more interesting bits to come from Tangled recently.

Spoiler

#12 tec

tec

Give me victory

• Supporter
  • 30122 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I think Voltron has been the only new cartoon series I watched recently none of the new cartoon offrenings have any interest to me

Also watch a bunch of WBA Batman DTV stuff even if some of them have not been the best (Killing Joke) there still kicking Marvels ass on that front and thats just sad

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#13 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

CN died when Regular Show ended and Nick does have Loud House which is a cute fun show and Disney has Ducktales reboot.

Netflix has excellent animated shows for adults like Castlevania, Love Death and Robots, Bojack Horseman and F Is for Family and quality all ages show like Voltron Legendary Defender. 

#14 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6769 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Everyone's done some quality stuff recently. Certainly some of the Netflix stuff is great, notably Voltron and She-Ra, but what really gives Netflix the edge is that you don't have to wait through a twelve month period to watch three new episodes. CN and co are just so littered with reruns and hiatuses that it can be impossible to keep up with some shows. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#15 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16845 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

As someone whose kids absolutely love "Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir" waiting months and months for Netflix to put up new seasons of something that has already aired elsewhere in the world isn't great either sometimes.

-ZacWilliam, that show should probably have been on my list too. It's definitely kid aimed but it's well done and fun.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#16 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

I don't have these channels so I have to wait for the channels I do have to get the airing rights. For comparison about a two weeks ago GO! (which airs most of the CArtoon Network shows) started airing Adventure Time season 8.

Or buy the DVD's when they come out.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#17 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

As someone whose kids absolutely love "Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir" waiting months and months for Netflix to put up new seasons of something that has already aired elsewhere in the world isn't great either sometimes.

That finally moved back to the Disney Channel, where it airs almost everywhere outside of America.

#18 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8147 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:38 AM

I've been seeing notices saying Hilda is amazing and addictive and Gravity Falls Over the Garden Wall so I'll give it a try.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users