Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix better cartoons than CN, Nick, and Disney Channel.

19 replies to this topic

#1 CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob
  • Citizen
  • 95 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

This is just IMO, but Netflix has been putting out better cartoons than CN, Nickelodeon and Disney Channel these days. Dragon Prince and Hilda are better than most of the content the big 3 have been churning out lately. Why do you think that is?

#2 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1918 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

To generalize about things I don't really follow;

The Disney Channel actively kills it's cartoons. If I remember correctly the second season of Tangled got shelved to Germany and hasn't been shown anywhere else. Right now they're promoting 101 Dalmatians Street, which doesn't feel like it'll last very long. They do have Star though, everyone likes Star. When that ends ala Gravity Falls they'll probably have a good replacement on hand.

I think Tangled messed up their TV Princess lineup, which had been set up nicely by Sofia and was kind of squandered by Elena. The Disney Channel also has a greater focus on live-action, with the cartoons mostly bolstering the schedule.

Oh because this is something only I would forget; Disney Channel how has Rebooted DuckTales, and I think everyone loves that. Milo Murphy's Law also followed in Phineas and Ferb's footsteps without seeming like a ripoff.

Nickelodeon can't stop making things nobody wants or new versions of The Loud House (which I guess fits in the former but still counts). Nickelodeon is also very good at killing shows off, like when they switched Star Falls from the main channel to TeenNick, at which point decent ratings basically imploded. Nickelodeon has a good live-action game though, but unlike the Disney Channel it's not their main focus.

Cartoon Network... I think they're doing okay strategy-wise. New episodes of Bakugan debut every month on the app and then air on the schedule. I think most of their shows do this?

They have Steven Universe, which, like Star, is basically part of the modern cartoon zeitgeist. That's something Netflix can't really say yet. Gumball is also still on, and Gumball is an extremely clever show. As for story-driven shows, I guess that's where they're lacking? There's Ninjago, but I don't really know how that's been on this long aside from the LEGO theme is ongoing. They also have the new DC Super Hero Girls show coming up this year and as much as I hate the new dolls, the show itself is fire.

But also things Netflix actually put out (and in some cases, is still putting out):

• The Trolls show which has been getting new episodes so frequently that it's hard to remember there isn't even a Trolls 2 yet. It literally feels like Netflix's signature cartoon.
  • Pinky Malinky, which is like... why.

The thing is though, that Netflix definitely puts out more individual shows per year than possibly all three combined, and that's gotta hurt. Netflix do tend to in turn burn their producing partners (DHX Media, Mattel Entertainment, Rainbow S.p.a, I could go on) more than help so we've seen everybody aside from Dreamworks sort of pull away.

Plus, Netflix shows seem to be super-bad at selling toys. For example, Mattel only licensed Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures to them in the US, everywhere else it's on traditional TV. Trolls is a movie series first, and everything other than blindbags from the line have failed anyways. I will concede that Hasbro's Super Monsters may be changing this, but toddler toys tend to do okay no matter what.

Explaining all this though I realized one thing; the real majority of cartoons and children's programming comes from independent producers licensing their content to various channels all over the world, and that may be who Netflix is trying to compete with.

Netflix is also not great at putting out live-action kid's shows. Seems Alexa & Katie's cancer theme was a bit much and it kind of died down after the initial buzz. That show about a kid who met a king or whatever felt like a Disney XD reject. A toned-down DIsney XD reject, which is a lot to say when a channel has 'Disney' right in the name.

There's a big series coming up, I think, can't remember the details of it aside from it maybe featuring a gay main cast member (which of course I would remember) but it'll surely be wiped to bits by High School Musical The Musical, which is this basically year's Teen Streaming Big Big Deal, over on Disney+.

To answer your question; Netflix probably has better story-driven programming, but that's because that works on their platform. Unfortunately, that's not what works overall in the children's animation market. In terms of brand-building and overall awareness on just animated programming, I would put it a distant fourth after:

1. Cartoon Network;
  2. Disney Channel and;
  3. Independent Studios that Co-Produce or License

Edited by fourteenwings, 08 April 2019 - 09:19 AM.

All that really matters is we could be friends

✰Japanimation Connoisseur✰

#3 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65968 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

I believe I saw a commercial for more Tangled.

It's a shame that Mercury Filmworks went to work on that series rather than staying on Star VS The Forces of Evil.  As there work on that was amazing.

ACItEK8.png

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11324 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

Tangled has been airing in Canada. At the moment we seem to be only one ep behind (latest episode on my PVR is 2-17 "Mirror, Mirror," while watchcartoonsonline has 2-18 "You're Kidding Me").

(Season 2 was re-branded as Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure, which may be where the confusion lies.)

#5 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1918 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

Seems it is back/has been for a while.

As for the animation studio; from what I've seen, Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure is really, really pretty, so at least it wasn't a total loss.

#6 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17333 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:10 AM

Hmm current Cartoons that I watch and think are generally great:

Milo Murphy's Law
Craig of the Creek
Steven Universe
Star vs the Forces of Evil
Trollhunters/3 Below/Tales of Arcadia
Hilda
Ducktales
Wee Bare Bear
MLP:FIM
Star Wars Resistance
She-Ra
Transformers Cyberverse

That's a few I really like from everybody but Nick I think. Looks pretty balanced with that exception.

-ZacWilliam, would not be surprised if he's forgotten one or two really awesome shows but these are the ones that sprung to mind.(Edit: How the heck did I forget Steven! :p)

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 April 2019 - 12:04 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#7 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9159 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:58 AM

Ya actually the season 2 finale of Tangled is next Sunday, they have been posting 2 episodes a week for the last month or so. Its actually had some really interesting episodes lately.

But really I havent watched a lot of cartoons outside of Disney Channel and Netflix. Since TMNT 2012 ended Nick hasnt had anything for me other than the new Power Rangers, and other than Cyberverse and lack of new Steven, CN has nothing I want to watch lately. I could actually skip Toonami most nights since the only thing I have been watching is the dub of SAO, although I will start the dub of Promised Neverland this week.

Disney has actually been almost having a series of interest consistently lately. Ducktales, Tangled, Big Hero 6, SW Resistance, and even a couple of mild concerns to me like Star VS, and Milo Murphys Law. And even with my least favorite look of the art style Pokémon Sun and Moon has been a fun series so far.

Netflix has quite the influx of animation compared to the broadcast networks anymore, but I cant say that the majority of it is worth watching. Of its original shows before bringing in anime, I feel about half of Dreamworks animation is alright. Voltron was cool but over now. She-Ra is ok so far. The Tales of Arcadia franchise has been great overall. But then theres the glut of movie spin offs that maybe alright but I have no real interest in myself. I think the only other non anime

I have watched recently has been Stretch Armstrong. Dragon Prince has promise narratively but I have a hard time getting past that janky cgi.

And man the proliferation of adult animation has exploded on there. I really dont care for it most of the time as I really dont care for crude or exploitive humor but occasionally something comes out worth watching like Love, Death and Robots. Everyone needs to look at that and find at least one episode they will like. So far the two episodes I would recommend would be Three Robots and Good Hunting, but most other episodes have been pretty good too. Maurice LaMarche in The Day the Yogurt Took Over gave me a really dry humored Futurama vibe with just how oddball it was and him doing that deadpan narrative.

But overall its just kind of depending on taste whether anything is working for you or not. I eagerly await new Ducktales episodes next month.

#8 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6697 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Nick hasn't had any cartoon of interest for me since Turtles ended.

I liked Adventure Time and Regular Show on CN a lot. Gumball, Bears, and Craig are ok.

Disney had Phineas and Ferb which is great, and Gravity Falls. Star is good, Milo is ok.

Nothing of interest on Netflix
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#9 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8670 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

I really should continue watching Rise of TMNT because it's freneticrazy. But I haven't caught up with Cyberverse, yikes.

Love, Death and Robots is the bomb! Well, some of them are.

Good Hunting and Lucky 13 are transformer-y, sorta. Three Robots seems to be everybody's favorite.

Blindspot and Suits are all very cool action robot-y stuff. Zima Blue is more thoughtful with a Dance Central art style.

Secret War, Shapeshifters, Sucker of Souls are supernaturally goodness.

I'm surprised there was no fuss about it here in Allspark.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#10 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1274 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I have not kept up watching weekly series for a number of years, live action (Stargate Universe was the last) or western animation. I do often buy the BDs for stuff I am interested in, and do eventually watch some of them. Eventually. I wish more would be brought out on BD though, like the new Duck Tales...

Now while this topic is more along the lines of animation specifically made for each network, the only stuff I watch with consistency and weekly is stuff the Funimation is simuldubbing. Some great stuff, but I also fall back into the Toonami trap where I often would wait quite a while to buy the BDs because I have already watched them once, whereas I am more likely to spend my money on stuff I have not.

Except for Aniplex relea$e$.

I mean, I like to save money, but collecting anime, movies, and TV shows is my hobby second only to collecting Transformers.
"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#11 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9159 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

Here's one of the more interesting bits to come from Tangled recently.

Spoiler

#12 tec

tec

classic

• Supporter
  • 31271 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:23 PM

I think Voltron has been the only new cartoon series I watched recently none of the new cartoon offrenings have any interest to me

Also watch a bunch of WBA Batman DTV stuff even if some of them have not been the best (Killing Joke) there still kicking Marvels ass on that front and thats just sad

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#13 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

CN died when Regular Show ended and Nick does have Loud House which is a cute fun show and Disney has Ducktales reboot.

Netflix has excellent animated shows for adults like Castlevania, Love Death and Robots, Bojack Horseman and F Is for Family and quality all ages show like Voltron Legendary Defender. 

#14 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Everyone's done some quality stuff recently. Certainly some of the Netflix stuff is great, notably Voltron and She-Ra, but what really gives Netflix the edge is that you don't have to wait through a twelve month period to watch three new episodes. CN and co are just so littered with reruns and hiatuses that it can be impossible to keep up with some shows. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#15 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17333 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

As someone whose kids absolutely love "Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir" waiting months and months for Netflix to put up new seasons of something that has already aired elsewhere in the world isn't great either sometimes.

-ZacWilliam, that show should probably have been on my list too. It's definitely kid aimed but it's well done and fun.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#16 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

I don't have these channels so I have to wait for the channels I do have to get the airing rights. For comparison about a two weeks ago GO! (which airs most of the CArtoon Network shows) started airing Adventure Time season 8.

Or buy the DVD's when they come out.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#17 fourteenwings

fourteenwings
  • Citizen
  • 1918 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

As someone whose kids absolutely love "Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir" waiting months and months for Netflix to put up new seasons of something that has already aired elsewhere in the world isn't great either sometimes.

That finally moved back to the Disney Channel, where it airs almost everywhere outside of America.

#18 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8670 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:38 AM

I've been seeing notices saying Hilda is amazing and addictive and Gravity Falls Over the Garden Wall so I'll give it a try.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#19 Egon1982

Egon1982
  • Citizen
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:16 AM

I've enjoyed Tuca and Bertie as it's a must see for fans of Bojack and Regular Show

#20 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3612 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

TBH, Netflix cartoons are as hit or miss as the ones on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney.  While they have good cartoons like She-Ra, Voltron, and Skylanders Academy, it does have some stinkers like Super Drags, The Boss Baby:  Back In Business, and Big Mouth.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users