Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

JOKER

68 replies to this topic

#21 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6224 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

The world will look up and shout, "Save us!" and I'll whisper "Why so serious?"

I have a number of qualms with the very notion of a Joker film, but I have to say this trailer is fantastic and moved me from "Meh, maybe when it's streaming" to my ass being in a theater seat come October. To be fair near-zero expectations aren't hard to beat, but hey. It was hauntingly beautiful with some neat cinematography. The lovely music playing to the contrast to the fetid Gotham and the strange-with-a-hint-of-unhinged Joaquin really caught my attention. I'm really digging the squalid NYC 70's/80's feel, you can look at it and know Western Civilization is a just couple more swirls around the toilet bowl away from being flushed down the drain for good.

No idea if it'll actually be good, of course, but it's a far more interesting-looking product than I was expecting.

Edited by Teufel, 03 April 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#22 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18170 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

This is the first DC movie trailer that's made me sit up and take notice, so that counts for something.

Still holding reservations just because DC has an abysmal track record with their movies, but this does look promising.

nzo8WYb.png

#23 Kayla Kaon

Kayla Kaon
  • Administrator
  • 4585 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

meh... Heath Ledger will always be my favorite Joker. I'll go see it and hope that it doesn't suck.... knowing how DC is with their movies it probably will suck. 

If you have Steven Universe leaks please let me know. I need them.

#24 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14142 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:26 AM

. . . . . i just don't need a sympathetic Joker.  I don't need to feel sorry for him.  I don't need to understand him.  I don't need to feel some kind of empathy for the Joker.  I don't.  

This looks interesting, don't get me wrong.  I've enjoyed movies and stories like Falling Down.  That whole 'one bad day' trope.  I don't need that here.  I don't need that with the Joker.  

I am sure I will watch this.  Eventually.  But it's entirely unnecessary.  And, honestly, it just doesn't sit right with me. 

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#25 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28544 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:01 AM

For me, the trailer was less "Taxi Driver" and more "Falling Down". There's an old saw of the Internet that as a kid you idolize Batman but as an adult you realize Joker makes more sense. I think that's pretty much the driving premise of the film.

Eh.

Part of why I like The Killing Joke is it challenges that. Sure millionaire Bruce Wayne had a far more stable position to rebuild from than 'Jack' but that's why Gordon is involved too. Trauma and the unfair madness of life can break someone but there is always a choice. A line you do not cross lest you become that which hurt you and further poison the world. A particular case being that nut who claimed he was the Joker and shot up a movie theater.

The Joker doesn't make more sense. He's just the easy, short term answer to a difficult question.

#26 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22458 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

This looks like it could be good and also an easy mark for who to stay away from in the same sense Fight Club was.

But also good god can we let this hugging mass murderer super insane edgelord Joker thing rest, it was barely a good idea in the first place and I am so god damned tired of his whole schtick.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#27 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46111 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:02 AM

Eh.

Part of why I like The Killing Joke is it challenges that. Sure millionaire Bruce Wayne had a far more stable position to rebuild from than 'Jack' but that's why Gordon is involved too. Trauma and the unfair madness of life can break someone but there is always a choice. A line you do not cross lest you become that which hurt you and further poison the world. A particular case being that nut who claimed he was the Joker and shot up a movie theater.

The Joker doesn't make more sense. He's just the easy, short term answer to a difficult question.

The notebook of "jokes" at 0:24 of the trailer has in it: "The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't"

Arthur/Joker of this story is someone who clearly as issues - his faked smile to what I assume is his therapist at the beginning of the trailer, seemingly checking himself into Arkham implication, taking care of his mother/someone who obviously isn't capable of taking care of herself given the bath scene. Arthur is going to be a man with demons...and the trailer showcases two instances of him getting beaten up.

You are right that everyone makes a choice, but that's why I compared the trailer to "Falling Down". What happens around the individual can make that choice for us.

But also good god can we let this hugging mass murderer super insane edgelord Joker thing rest, it was barely a good idea in the first place and I am so god damned tired of his whole schtick.

Except as I pointed out above, it doesn't seem like this rendition of Joker is going to be "super insane edgelord". Just a guy with a mental illness who is effectively told to shut up by society at large, and boy howdy if that isn't a reflection on our own world. Even today, nearly 20 years into the 21st Century, it's still taboo to talk about mental illness or be free and open with the fact an individual deals with such.

Now obviously this movie is taking things to incredible extremes and I don't disagree with the worry about glamorizing a serial killer (Though the success of various Netflix documentaries and shows like Criminal Minds means it's a frighteningly viable market to tap into), but if it helps the conversation about the stigma surrounding mental illness I'm all for that. Already in just this teaser, we already get more insight and motivation into what makes this version of the character tick than we ever did with Ledger or Leto's portrayals.

Random thought that I jotted down but had no place to put above:

The bits of him appearing on what seems like a Johnny Carson-esque show makes me think it's going to end like The Dark Knight Returns - meaning maybe he'll be the first second (EDIT: I forgot Nicolson's Joker did use gas, thought that stuff just made you dead) on-screen Joker to use the iconic gas. We know at least one scene involving him causing a riot in a subway station by unknown means and the trailer doesn't make Arthur out to be a very persuasive individual.

Edited by Rust, 04 April 2019 - 06:12 AM.

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32823 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Just like when Rob Zombie had Mike Meyers murder Danny Trejo....

NEVER refer to Michael Myers as Mike Myers again.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#29 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Upsetti Spaghetti

• Retired Staff
  • 18811 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

His work in Austin Powers was terrific. I can't believe they ended the series on him butchering Doctor Evil that way.

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46111 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

Just like when Rob Zombie had Mike Meyers murder Danny Trejo....

NEVER refer to Michael Myers as Mike Myers again.

YEAH BABY! :D

#31 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32823 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Someone needs to do that mashup.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46111 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

I'm literally laughing myself silly imaging Danny Trejo begging for his life with various Mike Meyers quotes playing in response. Ending, of course, with "Schwing!"

#33 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11244 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

Though I would pay to see Mike Myers try to take out Danny Trejo.

#34 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12158 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#35 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6224 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Did a rough prototype. I think they should stick with the original mask.

OwNatF.jpg

#36 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18633 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

This looks good, but... they know the Joker doesn't wear makeup, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#37 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46111 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

Dude seems to be an amalgam of all various Joker incarnations (Including real life variants like Ted Bundy, given the style of the makeup). The longer hair and greasepaint seem to be the Ledger contribution much in the way the suit is Romero.

#38 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6172 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

And then, right at the very end, some other guy turns out to be the Joker.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#39 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4544 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

This looks good, but... they know the Joker doesn't wear makeup, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

And the character never had facial scars until TDK.

At this point, I've seen too many different variations across different media to give a flip anymore.  If handled well, I think this could be an effective interpretation of the Joker.  With the most disturbing element being...just how close a lot of us are to "crossing the line" that Joker ends up leaping across.  While I think there will some attempt to sympathize with the character, the reality is that is we'll sympathize in the situation, which makes it all the more disturbing when he goes over the edge.

Just like it's possible to sympathize with a victim of abuse who ends up murdering others, just because we can sympathize doesn't make what they did any less horrific.  I get that's the feeling the filmmakers are hoping to accomplish with this film.

#40 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19555 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

CYCLONE

xOyvpt9.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users