Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  CORVUS : (05 April 2020 - 06:41 PM)

CONTAGION is on my current watchlist. I'm kicking it off with OUTBREAK, and I have a whole lineup of pandemic-based films. I treat this stuff as a fear-innoculant.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:52 PM)

My point is that of late, Taiwan's government executed lockdown procedures to great success. Vietnam has done similarly.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (05 April 2020 - 03:34 PM)

Didn't SARS just suddenly stop before it got very far?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (05 April 2020 - 03:24 PM)

*raises eyebrows due to familial knowledge of SARS*

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:43 PM)

It was uncomfortably real in 2011, it's downright scary in relation to the current pandemic.

@  Steevy Maximus : (05 April 2020 - 01:42 PM)

It is, almost to an uncomfortable point.The virus portrayed in that film was FAR more aggressive and fatal than Coronavirus, but the sourcing and spread and impact hit REALLY close to home compared to what we're dealing with now

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 04:50 AM)

Actually on the subject, I've hard a lot of people refer to a 2011 film called Contagion that they think is relevant.

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 April 2020 - 01:11 AM)

Ah well, I'll stick to the classic British sitcoms: One Foot in the Grave, Til Death Do Us Part and They Think It's All Over.

@  TM2-Megatron : (05 April 2020 - 12:53 AM)

There's always the original, cheesy as it is

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (05 April 2020 - 12:10 AM)

Dunno... Tonight one of the major networks showed a movie with plagues.. including that listening to their leader causes the first born to die. ;P So nah.. I think the Stand could work. :D

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 April 2020 - 09:18 PM)

That's probably the last thing anyone needs to see, at the moment. Maybe when we get to the end of June/beginning of July and we can venture back out, it might be possible to find some enjoyment in The Stand.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 April 2020 - 02:08 PM)

I suppose the CBS adaptation of Stephen Kings The Stand will be delayed.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:26 AM)

We'll always be together. Together in electric dreams.

@  Rycochet : (04 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Please remember that in these times of social distancing, we'll always be together however far it seems.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It arrived! Yay!

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Given how the virus lasts about 3-4 days on metals and plastics, it's about the only way to go about getting stuff right now. I ordered a monitor mount for my desk and the delivery has been pushed back twice already.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 11:04 AM)

He ordered it online, says it was to keep those delivery boys in business. I did the same a week ago with some Transformers Studio Series figures off Kapow. Don't know if it's wise or not considering.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM)

You'd be the first. Everyone else has either been frustrated cause the one they wanted was sold out (like during boxing week.) or rushing to replace something broken.

@  RYNO : (03 April 2020 - 08:53 AM)

I actually walked into a store the other day and just randomly decided to buy at 32inch TV. It was just a Vizio, and grabbed a Mounting Bracket for it. No duress. Just a spur of the moment wanted a TV for my master bedroom.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:31 AM)

Conversely: I've never met a person who wasn't buying a TV under duress... so... yeah.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:20 AM)

I think I've met maybe two people other than myself who count cables before buying a TV.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (03 April 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Seriously.. HDMI splitters and switches are so bloody finicky, but most tvs don't have enough inputs.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 05:09 AM)

Just spent a hour trying to get my brothers new Samsung TV to read his Playstation and Blu Ray player only to find he was using a HDMI splitter.

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

Photo
- - - - -

JOKER

159 replies to this topic

#21 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6444 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:01 PM

The world will look up and shout, "Save us!" and I'll whisper "Why so serious?"

I have a number of qualms with the very notion of a Joker film, but I have to say this trailer is fantastic and moved me from "Meh, maybe when it's streaming" to my ass being in a theater seat come October. To be fair near-zero expectations aren't hard to beat, but hey. It was hauntingly beautiful with some neat cinematography. The lovely music playing to the contrast to the fetid Gotham and the strange-with-a-hint-of-unhinged Joaquin really caught my attention. I'm really digging the squalid NYC 70's/80's feel, you can look at it and know Western Civilization is a just couple more swirls around the toilet bowl away from being flushed down the drain for good.

No idea if it'll actually be good, of course, but it's a far more interesting-looking product than I was expecting.

Edited by Teufel, 03 April 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#22 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18471 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

This is the first DC movie trailer that's made me sit up and take notice, so that counts for something.

Still holding reservations just because DC has an abysmal track record with their movies, but this does look promising.

nzo8WYb.png

#23 K Kaon

K Kaon
  • Administrator
  • 4692 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

meh... Heath Ledger will always be my favorite Joker. I'll go see it and hope that it doesn't suck.... knowing how DC is with their movies it probably will suck. 

#24 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14237 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:26 AM

. . . . . i just don't need a sympathetic Joker.  I don't need to feel sorry for him.  I don't need to understand him.  I don't need to feel some kind of empathy for the Joker.  I don't.  

This looks interesting, don't get me wrong.  I've enjoyed movies and stories like Falling Down.  That whole 'one bad day' trope.  I don't need that here.  I don't need that with the Joker.  

I am sure I will watch this.  Eventually.  But it's entirely unnecessary.  And, honestly, it just doesn't sit right with me. 

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#25 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28987 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:01 AM

For me, the trailer was less "Taxi Driver" and more "Falling Down". There's an old saw of the Internet that as a kid you idolize Batman but as an adult you realize Joker makes more sense. I think that's pretty much the driving premise of the film.

Eh.

Part of why I like The Killing Joke is it challenges that. Sure millionaire Bruce Wayne had a far more stable position to rebuild from than 'Jack' but that's why Gordon is involved too. Trauma and the unfair madness of life can break someone but there is always a choice. A line you do not cross lest you become that which hurt you and further poison the world. A particular case being that nut who claimed he was the Joker and shot up a movie theater.

The Joker doesn't make more sense. He's just the easy, short term answer to a difficult question.

#26 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Citizen
  • 22851 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

This looks like it could be good and also an easy mark for who to stay away from in the same sense Fight Club was.

But also good god can we let this hugging mass murderer super insane edgelord Joker thing rest, it was barely a good idea in the first place and I am so god damned tired of his whole schtick.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#27 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47261 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 April 2019 - 06:02 AM

Eh.

Part of why I like The Killing Joke is it challenges that. Sure millionaire Bruce Wayne had a far more stable position to rebuild from than 'Jack' but that's why Gordon is involved too. Trauma and the unfair madness of life can break someone but there is always a choice. A line you do not cross lest you become that which hurt you and further poison the world. A particular case being that nut who claimed he was the Joker and shot up a movie theater.

The Joker doesn't make more sense. He's just the easy, short term answer to a difficult question.

The notebook of "jokes" at 0:24 of the trailer has in it: "The worst part of having a mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't"

Arthur/Joker of this story is someone who clearly as issues - his faked smile to what I assume is his therapist at the beginning of the trailer, seemingly checking himself into Arkham implication, taking care of his mother/someone who obviously isn't capable of taking care of herself given the bath scene. Arthur is going to be a man with demons...and the trailer showcases two instances of him getting beaten up.

You are right that everyone makes a choice, but that's why I compared the trailer to "Falling Down". What happens around the individual can make that choice for us.

But also good god can we let this hugging mass murderer super insane edgelord Joker thing rest, it was barely a good idea in the first place and I am so god damned tired of his whole schtick.

Except as I pointed out above, it doesn't seem like this rendition of Joker is going to be "super insane edgelord". Just a guy with a mental illness who is effectively told to shut up by society at large, and boy howdy if that isn't a reflection on our own world. Even today, nearly 20 years into the 21st Century, it's still taboo to talk about mental illness or be free and open with the fact an individual deals with such.

Now obviously this movie is taking things to incredible extremes and I don't disagree with the worry about glamorizing a serial killer (Though the success of various Netflix documentaries and shows like Criminal Minds means it's a frighteningly viable market to tap into), but if it helps the conversation about the stigma surrounding mental illness I'm all for that. Already in just this teaser, we already get more insight and motivation into what makes this version of the character tick than we ever did with Ledger or Leto's portrayals.

Random thought that I jotted down but had no place to put above:

The bits of him appearing on what seems like a Johnny Carson-esque show makes me think it's going to end like The Dark Knight Returns - meaning maybe he'll be the first second (EDIT: I forgot Nicolson's Joker did use gas, thought that stuff just made you dead) on-screen Joker to use the iconic gas. We know at least one scene involving him causing a riot in a subway station by unknown means and the trailer doesn't make Arthur out to be a very persuasive individual.

Edited by Rust, 04 April 2019 - 06:12 AM.

#28 CORVUS

CORVUS

Alltogether OOKY.

• Supporter
  • 33197 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:47 AM

Just like when Rob Zombie had Mike Meyers murder Danny Trejo....

NEVER refer to Michael Myers as Mike Myers again.

“I love a man with integrity - I wish I knew one.” - Gomez Addams

#29 M Virion

M Virion

Sure-footed, newly free

• Retired Staff
  • 19145 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

His work in Austin Powers was terrific. I can't believe they ended the series on him butchering Doctor Evil that way.

#30 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47261 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

Just like when Rob Zombie had Mike Meyers murder Danny Trejo....

NEVER refer to Michael Myers as Mike Myers again.

YEAH BABY! :D

#31 CORVUS

CORVUS

Alltogether OOKY.

• Supporter
  • 33197 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Someone needs to do that mashup.

“I love a man with integrity - I wish I knew one.” - Gomez Addams

#32 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47261 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

I'm literally laughing myself silly imaging Danny Trejo begging for his life with various Mike Meyers quotes playing in response. Ending, of course, with "Schwing!"

#33 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11552 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:58 AM

Though I would pay to see Mike Myers try to take out Danny Trejo.

#34 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13099 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#35 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6444 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 April 2019 - 02:21 PM

Did a rough prototype. I think they should stick with the original mask.

OwNatF.jpg

#36 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18753 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:31 PM

This looks good, but... they know the Joker doesn't wear makeup, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#37 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47261 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

Dude seems to be an amalgam of all various Joker incarnations (Including real life variants like Ted Bundy, given the style of the makeup). The longer hair and greasepaint seem to be the Ledger contribution much in the way the suit is Romero.

#38 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6312 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

And then, right at the very end, some other guy turns out to be the Joker.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#39 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4768 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

This looks good, but... they know the Joker doesn't wear makeup, right?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

And the character never had facial scars until TDK.

At this point, I've seen too many different variations across different media to give a flip anymore.  If handled well, I think this could be an effective interpretation of the Joker.  With the most disturbing element being...just how close a lot of us are to "crossing the line" that Joker ends up leaping across.  While I think there will some attempt to sympathize with the character, the reality is that is we'll sympathize in the situation, which makes it all the more disturbing when he goes over the edge.

Just like it's possible to sympathize with a victim of abuse who ends up murdering others, just because we can sympathize doesn't make what they did any less horrific.  I get that's the feeling the filmmakers are hoping to accomplish with this film.

#40 unluckiness

unluckiness

4 U

• Citizen
  • 20028 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

CYCLONE

XgxCpmP.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users