Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2019 - 03:40 AM)

Phyrexians are the bishie-est.

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2019 - 12:29 AM)

That's why they always wear long sleeved shirts and long pants

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2019 - 11:36 PM)

Everybody knows the most bishie thing about any bishie is his exposed sinew.

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2019 - 10:04 PM)

*looks up the humanoid slivers* ...really? People were calling those bishies?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Have they made a sliver planeswalker yet?

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

Photo
- - - - -

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Maximum7

Maximum7
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

Im trying to write a fan fic about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force in the way he doesnt think it controls fate. (He acknowledges, however, that there is an energy field that some sentients can manipulate) I just need something for him to be researching. It just has to sound cool and scientific. It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way Also it cant have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

-A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

-Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

-Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

-A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintegrators. These ideas are therefore taken.
My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. It has to sound fresh and cool.
Im looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. Ive decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We havent seen them but they can easily be done. Im looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?

#2 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3088 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

Maybe they could be working on the mysteries of the Universe and the force on the micro level, if they are being called to help figure out a black hole, apart of their reserach could be into Black Holes!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#3 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

Best friends chew on each other!

• Supporter
  • 4486 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

What about faster or more efficient hyperdrives or hyperspace travel?
WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!
Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787
Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345
Actual friends: um....

#4 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10530 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

Well generally if they’ve been called in to investigate a phenomenon it’s because of they are already in a similar field.. so how about just a scientist who has been researching the effects of New Republic tech on gravitational forces in the galaxy at large.

#5 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 12990 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

Special earbuds that will tune out JarJar but still let you hear everyone else.

#6 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Let there be night, and damn the sun

• Supporter
  • 44032 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

They have that, it's called a blaster.

#7 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3088 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

But one that needs to be able to hit the target and not let a climsy doird take the hit for him and go "Oh my!"

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#8 Glenn

Glenn

The fault in our Stars(Lord)

• Supporter
  • 10530 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

But one that needs to be able to hit the target and not let a climsy doird take the hit for him and go "Oh my!"
But actually being able to hit targets would be a ‘game changer’ in this universe

#9 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45485 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:55 PM

Star Wars style terraforming. Moisture farming but on a galactic scale - that can be placed into orbit and pull water molecules from the vastness of space that can then be deposited on the worlds below.

Gives a classic link to the principle Star Wars story, is something new but not game changing (The idea that Tatooine could use one to generate its own oceans is a neat idea, but not one that will effect the overall story you want to tell), and can be linked with the mission the Republic tasks of them (Since the idea is to pull in water molecules at an accelerated rate, linking with the idea that this supermassive black hole is pulling matter in at an accelerated rate).

Also vague enough to suit Star Wars' Space Fantasy setting. No need to get into too many technical details, they aren't important.

Edited by Rust, 24 March 2019 - 07:56 PM.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#10 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

Gravity wells influence hyperspace. A more reliable way to chart/measure/detect gravitational disturbances would A) make hyperspace travel faster and B) save a lot of lives.

Or maybe (growing out of that) a way to alter hyperspace field dynamics while in flight (normally, hyperspace jumps have to be programmed before jumping --it's like a monkey jumping from branch to branch. Once you're under way, you can't change course or stop if there's a star in your way, as Han warned Luke about in ANH).

Being able to detect unexpected gravity fields ahead of the ship could give enough lead time to cut out the hyperdrive before hitting the mass shadow.

#11 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17861 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

How to isolate midichlorians and inject them into soldiers to make force-powered super soldiers.  Then they can have a scrawny test subject that breaks loose and go over to the rebels and start calling himself, like, Admiral Republic or something... maybe he'll even punch Tarkin in the face or something.

nzo8WYb.png

#12 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20552 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Better yet, creating synthetic midichlorians for the same purpose.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#13 tec

tec

Put a little spring in your step

• Supporter
  • 30296 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

You said nothing of gravity generator fieldwork antigrav repuslsor tech or the like

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#14 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61173 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

also Welcome to the Allspark 

... as to the question, I think a few of the things you said not to suggest would actually make for interesting stories. lol

-A time machine ... go back and kill baby Palpatine 

-A matter replicator ... Luke wouldn't even need to go to tashi station to get those power converters!

-Anything to do with holograms ... Anime has Hologram singer girls who solved Space wars already so ... yeah 

-A shrink ray ...  
myron_reducto_by_mikepetrucci.jpg

-Limb regeneration
fc,550x550,white.jpg

-Gender change ... You and I both know a female Darth Vader would be awesome 
Mitchell_DarthVader_FINAL_sm_1024x1024.jpg

"She's more Machine now than Woman." 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#15 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7816 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

Would she be called darth mater?

Edited by Telly, 26 March 2019 - 01:16 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#16 Maximum7

Maximum7
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

I decided extragalactic science; stuff outside the main galaxy would be a good venue. Based on astronomical ideas, what odd and unusual objects might a scientist encounter in the starless void of space in between galaxies. Creative ideas welcomed!

#17 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11078 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

what odd and unusual objects might a scientist encounter in the starless void of space in between galaxies.

Yuuzhan Vong worldships.

#18 Maximum7

Maximum7
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

Maybe not. Ok now my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires its weapon after draining a sun. (Im sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications Ive considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discoverys Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

#19 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34205 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:47 AM

Could they be studying whether sub-hyperspace could make holograms not be grainy?

#20 Maximum7

Maximum7
  • Protoform
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

Im going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users