Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

Holy crap im IN hawaii-the post-mortem

52 replies to this topic

#41 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

Once you've rested up, let's see the rest of your pics/hear about what you did!

#42 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

i didnt really do all that much, at least compared to whats available. never made it to pearl harbor :( the arizona had just re-opened a couple days before i got there too. dont really have a good excuse for not going...

lets start with my flights. turns out, im not a flier. i dont like the take offs. dont like the turbulence. and not fond of the landings. other than that, they were ok. the flights home were a bit better. guess i was getting used to it. still couldnt get to sleep though. id wake up with every bump. the flight from denver to indy was quick. that plane was like a sports car and it felt like it was really hauling ass. i actually arrived at indy early, despite my flight from honolulu leaving an hour late. i dont know how people fly so much. to make matters worse, on the day i left i was watching tv aand looking at the what shows were coming on. found one called "why planes crash"! thanks a lot weather channel. im already nervous about flying (especially over all that water...). that really helps me!

it was very windy there. i was expecting it to be, but it was constant. i dont think there was a day where the wind was under 15mph. i dont know how they played golf at the course across from my hotel

the birds there are very relaxed. aside from them shopping in the international market place (which is VERY expensive. its like an upper class mall), you can practically walk up right next to them and they wont even flutter. im used to them taking off if you even glance at them. on the way to diamond head, i saw a man feeding them and they were sitting on his arms and flying all around him like he was their king

everything is either open-air, or at the least they (mostly) leave their doors open. the international market place doesnt have a proper ceiling as far as i could tell. any ceiling is just the floor above. even my hotel was lacking in walls in certain places. accordingly, a lot of restaurants had seating outside. thats nothing new, but id never seen such a large number of those before

the clouds were always big and fluffy. i didnt really notice til the drive home. i was looking outside my brothers truck window and noticed they were all flat.

as i mentioned before, it "rained" a few times i was there. it wasnt anything more than a short sprinkle or shower, just enough to know it was doing something. but my last day, i got caught in a proper rain. it still didnt last long, but this time it got the pavement wet

of no importance to anyone except me, but i found a place that sells coke icees. yeah i know theyre not that exciting. but when i took my first plane ride to san antonio when i was little (like 5 or so), my brother and i used to walk to a store everyday and get one. so that was a nice memory to kinda relive. of course i had to text my brother and tell him about it lol

i went to the beach twice. the first time, at a section pretty close to my hotel, i got knocked on my ass by the waves. they were so strong that i decided to just sit down instead of trying to fight them. came home all covered in sand because i didnt see a rinsing off shower. second time, i went to the waikiki wall. i found it on my way to the aquarium. its basically a walled off section of the beach so the waves arent as strong there. i was able to swim and walk around there. also found a rinsing shower so i didnt take a small beach home with me. still brought some back with me. anakin was right. it gets everywhere. and salt water tastes like shit

saw some insanely hot bodies there though ;)

i learned that all my so-called waterproof equipment was indeed waterproof. my little fanny pack type thing and camera worked perfectly underwater

as i said, i went to the aquarium. it was a bit of a let down. i guess i was expecting it to be bigger, but it was still nice

i rented a bik a couple days i was there. had to get some provisions so i biked to walmart. had a hard time finding it cause it was hidden next to a parking garage. met a nice guy called bob (i think that was his name...) from guam while i was locking up my bike and we chatted for a few minutes til i went inside. they had a locker area to put backpacks cause they dont allow them in there. i think that was the only place where they werent allowed.

i also went to a target near me. it was 3 levels. the first was the entrance and escalators, and the other 2 were the shopping floors. ive never seen a 3 level target before

they have dedicated bike lanes there. that was a nice surprise.

already said i went to diamond head and how draining it was. i shouldve prepared better before i left. i thought itd just be a nice jaunt but nooooooooo. thatll learn me. did meet a guy on the road leading into the park that had finished the hike. didnt get his name but we talked about how the view was from up there and that it would be worth killing myself to get to. for the record, im 44, a bit fat and out of shape. couple that with an uphill bike ride and upward climb. but he was right. it even rained a very little bit at the top

also met people from italy and germany. heard a british accent from someone in the hotels lobby, but i didnt meet them. there were also a LOT of (im assuming) japanese people there. ive read a lot of them go there and all the signs had what looked like japanese writing. didnt meet any of them though

other than that, i just walked around the few blocks near my hotel and shopped. oh yeah. ive never been much of a foodie, so i didnt try any of the food. plus it was expensive. couldnt see paying all that only to not like it

first night i was there, i got to see the local fire department in action. someone got stuck in the hotels elevator and they had to be called in. there were also some fireworks friday night nearby. i got a tan, but i took heed of warnings and sunblocked myself up before i went out everyday. made it out burn free! found a place that had the magnum p.i. shirt for sale (the ORIGINAL 80s magnum that is). but it was almost a hundred dollars. they did get me for 2 100% made in hawaii flower shirts though. theres a store called abcstores. those things are EVERYWHERE! seriously, google "abcstores waikiki" and just look at all that red. id pass one, and a block later id pass another one. dont try to use those for landmarks!

i think thats it. i know it doesnt sound like a lot, but i managed to fill my four days up somehow. if i think of anything else ill add it, and ill have pics up somewhere :)

Edited by Telly, 10 September 2019 - 03:00 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#43 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

I've flown a loooot growing up and I grew to hate it. Completely understandable that you didn't get to do everything, nothing wrong with taking a break on a vacation. Sounds like a good time! Looking forward to seeing more pics. :)

#44 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

this was definitely me my last day

https://www.youtube....h?v=KFQQVEd5LoM

why cant i post a video??

Edited by Telly, 10 September 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#45 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

Links aren't working. Looks like you have them on your Google drive, you might need to set the permission so that anyone can look (but be careful if there's anything sensitive on it). Unsure if Tumblr lets you mass dump pics/link to albums.

#46 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:39 PM

No dice. Getting a 404 error.

#47 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

https://www.tumblr.c...eskeletonsworld

that one better work! just scroll down. everything is there except for the videos.

videos of waikiki beach on facebook for those that have it. i guess. i tried to set em so everyone could see them, but i clearly dont know what im doing when it comes to this :p

https://www.facebook...?type=3

a video of some people canoing on the ala wai canal

Edited by Telly, 10 September 2019 - 11:39 PM.

#48 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

The Facebook links worked, except for the last one, without having to log in. Tumblr did not. I think I had a Tumblr account once, if I can remember the login. Very nice beach, though.

#49 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

ugh, whatever. you didnt want to see the pics anyway. its just hawaii. rather boring really lol

didnt realize that the relatively simple task of showing pics would be such a hassle...

ala wai canal:

101_0669.JPG

101_0730.JPG

101_0742.JPG

big ass fish at the aquarium:

101_0749.JPG

101_0751.JPG

a few from my lanai:

101_0662.JPG

101_0665.JPG

101_0694.JPG

diamond head:

101_0719.JPG

this one is looking toward waikiki from the top of diamond head

101_0724.JPG

101_0725.JPG

international market place:

101_0644.JPG

101_0642.JPG

101_0658.JPG

queen kapi'olani garden. came across this on my way to diamond head:

101_0697.JPG

101_0701.JPG

101_0705.JPG

some from the sunroof:

101_0671.JPG

the sunset i was anxious to see

101_0675.JPG

101_0688.JPG

the rainbow i was trying to describe earlier. dont know why its sideways. he was nowhere in the area...

0904191836_Burst01.jpg

waikiki beach:

101_0758.JPG

101_0760.JPG

Edited by Telly, 11 September 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#50 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

more:

waikiki beach (again):

20151001_005443.JPG

20151001_005723.JPG

20151001_010008.JPG

i dont know what was going on with this couple. they seemed to have a professional photographer with them. maybe a honeymoon? maybe he was proposing? she was definitely pregnant though

20151001_010428.JPG

20151001_010455.JPG

just some random pics from around waikiki:

yeah, i dont know why its there either lol

101_0636.JPG

101_0638.JPG

101_0743.JPG

101_0744.JPG

101_0746.JPG

0904191642.jpg

another sideways pic. maybe its cause its from my phone? anyway, there you go :) any pics with a time stamp are from my gopro and it doesnt have a zoom. and the time stamp is wrong and i didnt bother to change it. i took it instead of my regular cam because i had a waterproof casing for it. quite useful in a beach environment

Edited by Telly, 11 September 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#51 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

XD Thanks for indulging me. I was wondering about the time stamps. You are rocking that Hawaiian shirt! Great choice. Will have to take another look when I'm back home and not on my cell.

#52 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

no problem  :thumbsup  i want a lot of people to see these after all :) as for the shirt, the lady was good at her job. she sold me 2 on 2 different days lol theyre 100% made in hawaii, not some walmart knock offs. cant remember the name of the store i got em from

Edited by Telly, 11 September 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#53 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Soon.......

• Supporter
  • 13633 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:47 PM

Y'know now I'm gonna ask for pics of the other ones.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users