Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Lancer : (18 February 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Make his fur a red and black flannel pattern

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:10 PM)

Bonus points if you can work in a red and black flannel pattern on his chest plate.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:09 PM)

Might as well make it cliched. Lumberjack moose male and aristocratic deer female.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Or their aristocratic deer.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2019 - 08:10 PM)

Thinking of making a pair of moose Transformer OCs, male and female. Thier a lovey dovy pair of lumberjacks

@  Paladin : (18 February 2019 - 06:56 PM)

they also have NOTORIOUSLY poor protection on their servers. do NOT keep a credit card on file there.

@  Telly : (18 February 2019 - 04:48 PM)

i just checked my past tfsource orders, and theres no sales tax charge

@  Arazyr : (18 February 2019 - 11:16 AM)

They haven't (yet, at least) on the stuff I currently have in my Stack. Haven't had them ship anything for a while, though, so I don't know if they will when I do...

@  Benbot : (18 February 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Does TFSource charge sales tax?

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2019 - 09:47 AM)

That's because, once upon a time, the people whom owned the animals weren't the people whom butchered them. So the pig was owned by a saxon who spoke english, but butchered by a french speaker. So a pig got cut up into PORC chops.

@  unluckiness : (18 February 2019 - 03:25 AM)

Hank Pym<<<< Hank Hill

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 February 2019 - 01:28 AM)

In that case, I don't see anything wrong with English speakers calling it what it is in English. Even though we technically use the French words for what comes out of it. "Beef", "pork"...

@  Bass X0 : (17 February 2019 - 02:04 PM)

I’d like a Siege Thundercracker who has his regular blue colors Cybertronian jet mode which transforms into a robot mode with his Action Master colors. Looks like it could be possible.

@  Paladin : (17 February 2019 - 11:57 AM)

The cow was slaughtered in the abattoir.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 February 2019 - 08:53 AM)

It's not a pretty name: abattoir is literally just the french word for slaughterhouse.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 February 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Giving it a pretty name won't make it a pretty place.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 February 2019 - 02:45 AM)

I do believe there is an aphorism about the U.S.A. and yogurt being different because after 200 years the latter will have a culture.

@  Maruten : (16 February 2019 - 11:30 PM)

There's another word for "abattoir"?! Honestly you people, "slaughterhouse" is a bit on the nose.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 February 2019 - 10:09 PM)

I learned this week that the French-style term abattoir is prevalent in the UK/Commonwealth in place of where U.S.-American Anglophones would say "slaughterhouse". Fascinating.

@  MEDdMI : (16 February 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Nonsense. Everybody loves all my posts.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM)

Or dislike them. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Wish we could like the shout posts...

@  Patch : (16 February 2019 - 04:26 PM)

Uh oh. Here comes a flock of Wah-Wahs.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (16 February 2019 - 10:54 AM)

Oh, that makes more sense.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2019 - 07:31 AM)

Haven't given it to him yet. Not sure when I will, but soon. Wah Wah is what he calls any vehicle with a siren, and the little bugger just LOVES firetrucks. So I got him a rescue bot heatwave.

@  repowers : (16 February 2019 - 02:41 AM)

I hope he said "You've given me a wah-wah"

@  Dekafox : (16 February 2019 - 12:48 AM)

A red panda?

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:06 PM)

*WAH

@  Rodimus Supreme : (15 February 2019 - 11:05 PM)

THE HECK IS A WHAH WAH?!?!?!

@  wonko the sane? : (15 February 2019 - 08:54 PM)

Yay! My nephew's Wah Wah showed up today!

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 February 2019 - 08:12 PM)

BotBots are GLORIOUS

@  Pennpenn : (14 February 2019 - 07:07 PM)

A day best ignored if you're not the target demographic. Can be difficult sometimes though.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2019 - 11:55 AM)

Valentine's Day. bummer.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2019 - 08:55 AM)

Or you could come to canada, where bureaucracy is a publically funded art form! So garbage and used condoms trying to make a statement about something or other, not entirely sure what.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

We've turned it into an art form.

@  Nevermore : (14 February 2019 - 06:10 AM)

You think you know bureaucracy, but you've never been to Germany.

@  RichardT1977 : (13 February 2019 - 11:48 PM)

I think a better counterpart would be "society".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (13 February 2019 - 11:24 PM)

Sounds like the cobra effect.

@  Echowarrior : (13 February 2019 - 05:58 PM)

I think a better counterpart for it would be bureaucracy.

@  MEDdMI : (13 February 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Is Verbesserschlimmerung a change that was intented to make things worse but made them better instead?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 February 2019 - 07:35 AM)

We have a similar word in english "government".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:05 AM)

The meaning of this word is: A change that was intended as an improvement but ended up making things worse.

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

It's a portmanteau of "Verbesserung", which means "improvement", and "Verschlimmerung", which means "worsening".

@  Nevermore : (13 February 2019 - 06:04 AM)

Your new German word for today: Verschlimmbesserung.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:17 PM)

Fortunately it's been long enough now that the possibility exists another label like Shout Factory or Arrow could pick it up and give it an updated release.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM)

It's the same with their Dawn of the Dead blu-ray, and several others

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 February 2019 - 02:11 PM)

In Volcano's case it isn't so much a case just of amazon or eBay sellers... it looks like rather than releasing it directly, Fox licensed it out to Starz/Anchor Bay, and it's subsequently gone out of print

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM)

There's Amazon sellers for you.

@  Telly : (12 February 2019 - 12:49 PM)

thought about buying volcano on bluray last night, until i saw the price on amazon: $135. the used ones arent much cheaper at $90. i know the 3p sellers can set any price they want, but come on. $90-$135 for a 20 year old movie that was only so-so?

@  unluckiness : (12 February 2019 - 05:12 AM)

GOt my hopes up there for a bit. Last I heard it was nebulously in 2019.

Photo

Wonko's "Late to the party" reviews! Today; Far Cry 5!

1 reply to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40841 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:30 PM

And while there's a lot to love, and a lot to hate, the game itself is a far cry from what made the series interesting in the first place.

I loved the hell out of far cry 3. It made interesting use of all three dimensions in a game, had a lush, well sculpted world full of a variety of terrain which you could use to your advantage, and the old school styled "walking armory" gun play (which you actually had to earn.) to throw into it. Compounded with a quasi open world, item gathering and crafting, and the fact that your actions actually left a mark on the world. Taking over outposts actually pushed the bad guys out of the area.

Now; The world in far cry five is beautiful. But... I find it beautiful because the textures and lighting are good, and it reflects a similar natural environment to that in which I grew up. There is no good utilization of all three dimensions in the world, most of the areas are functionally flat, with houses being just about all you can climb up onto. The game offers you the same shopping experience as far cry 3 and 4, but also directly monetized the game, offering you the "option" to purchase silver ingots for real money right in the in-game store menu. Way to break immersion ubisoft. The weapons in the game (that I've been able to acquire so far.) feel loose and seem to have ridiculous drop and scatter. Some of the enemies are armored to the point where 10 .44 mag rounds to the head only result in ME dying. Those same enemies are also no longer carrying the more random load outs for you to play with. My revolver has been, so far, the most exotic weapon fielded and I had to purchase it as this games rendition of the baretta m1911 is... bad. Hard to aim, poor accuracy, and what feels like a baby sized clip. Body armor is freely available at all the shops, and largely seems to do nothing, making no difference in how you long you can last outside of cover. The enemy AI is a ridiculous combination of incredibly clever, and incredibly stupid. They make great use of cover, throw smoke grenades, and often times rally together to force multiply weapon power. They make distinct efforts to revive fallen comrades, and seem quicker than in FC3 to hit the alarm button and call reinforcements. They also seem entirely and completely ignorant of WHAT they happen to be shooting, because they've managed to blow themselves up on more than one occasion hitting stuff like barrels and gas pumps because I happened to be standing somewhere on the other side of them. And the enemies: there's about three distinct faces for males and three more for females and after the second outpost: you kind feel bad for killing this many inbred folk. Mullets and mountain men beards hugging everywhere.

The game also offers random targets of opportunity, giving you the chance to free hostages in transit, destroy moving fuel trucks, and hijacking enemies supply trucks for looting. It puts these things on the country roads in frequencies which wouldn't be out of place in a major city. In fact, I camped a corner which had a machine gun turret, and was able to hit all three of these random events in about 5 minutes time. As well as kill some wolves and a bear. And create a small scrap yard's worth of abandoned enemy cars from shooting out the drivers head as they passed. There is a perk system, in which completing in game challenges and missions rewards you points to spend to allow you to upgrade your characters health, skills and loadout. Again, these perks seem to do nothing, as doubling my health made no measurable effect on survival. Crafting has also lost some of it's interest: as in the previous two titles, you could hunt down wild animals to build bigger storage bags to increase ammo caps and allow for more thrown weapons and even carry more guns. As well as the manufacturing of narcotic substances which gave short term boosts to stuff like how long you could swim under water, or hunters vision, night vision or even all natural medkits. These things are gone as well. Ammo cap is increased through a perk which: again, didn't seem to work when I purchased it. You can make a bunch of stuff under the utility menu: but none of it's use is readily apparent, and why would I even need to MAKE more liquor? All I need to do is shake down a cultist and he fills up my inventory on it and you can't sell it. You just cart it around for some reason.

This meandering review has pushed me towards finally stating this point: This COULD have been a fun game if ubisoft had kept the elements which made the previous entries in the series fun. The randomness of animal attacks, enemies with decent AI and a sense of survival (this last point could be technically written off as they are a religious cult, but still: poor form there.), A better constructed world to both explore and use, and a FAR better sense of population density and variety. It's got stuff to like, but it's not a very good game so far. I think ubisoft has been pulling a bethesda since they made far cry primal, and it's just going to negatively affect the company and their product. I'm happy they felt they could experiment with the game mechanics and implementation: but I also hope they learn from those experiments and understand what does and doesn't work for an open world styled game.

If you're a fan of the series: wait for an uber sale. If you're not but were on the fence about trying it: I suggest you pass. It brings nothing new except story to the table, and it's just more cliched crap. The point was to give the user a sandbox in which to kill and explode, and they didn't do a very good job of it.

#2 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40841 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

*gets into a helicopter, destroys giant armored truck AND claims a cult outpost before they finish the radio chatter on the truck mission.*

Okay, maybe I was being harsh a bit...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users