Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

156 replies to this topic

#141 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I have picked up the soundtrack and gave it a spin. The highlight is certainly Naomi Scott, who's really quite talented; and I enjoyed listening to her in A Whole New World. I've only seen her previously in the most recent Power Rangers flick, so I didn't really know what to expect from her. Mena Massoud is a local talent from my part of Canada, so I feel a kind of obligation to not be too hard on him (it's not like I can sing at all, lol). He's much better than I expected, and he kept up with the frenetic pace of One Jump Ahead pretty nicely. Next to Scott in A Whole New World is another matter, but still serviceable. The biggest disappointment on the soundtrack for me was Genie's songs; they just don't come anywhere close to the energy of the originals, and some of the lyrical changes don't really work for me.

"Friend Like Me" is very energetic when seen onscreen, but that might be more due to just how much zany fast action Smith's Genie is pulling off while singing.

I'll give you "Prince Ali" but "Arabian Nights" is presented in a new context that, IMO, justifies the less energetic feel of the original Bruce Adler version.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#142 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8518 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

I didn't think about Jasmine leaving Prince Ali at the dance because she was ashamed to be impressed by superficial dance moves, haha.

I don't recall Iago bringing it up at Jafar can kill Jasmine afterwards so he can sultan. Not that I need an excuse not to watch the original again, hehe

Really? Iago was only named Parrot? That's sad. I didn't noticed that.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#143 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

I didn't think about Jasmine leaving Prince Ali at the dance because she was ashamed to be impressed by superficial dance moves, haha.

She definitely seemed impressed, but later tells him off for showing off. So I feel it adds another layer of depth to her for her to be ashamed of her own humanity. It shows that, as much as she tries to be better, she's still fallible, and that she both recognizes that flaw and tries to overcome it.

I don't recall Iago bringing it up at Jafar can kill Jasmine afterwards so he can sultan. Not that I need an excuse not to watch the original again, hehe

Yeah, in the original, Iago came up with the idea of marry Jasmine to get around needing the lamp to become Sultan, and then told Jafar that after he marries her, Jafar should stage an "accident" in which Jasmine and her father "fall" off a cliff to the deaths.

Really? Iago was only named Parrot? That's sad. I didn't noticed that.

Yep, no onscreen name in this one. Just, "You're coming with me, Parrot!" at the end.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#144 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8518 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Oh yeeeeeah! Iago does that 'throw the little princess and daddy off a cliff' mime routine! I remember that now, haha :)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#145 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7155 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

I think Iago's reduced role in the new film is pretty inevitable. While he remains a (remarkably) intelligent bird, he is just supposed to be a bird - no longer a cartoon bird. Like, animated Iago is not a bird, he's functionally a small feathery person. They weren't likely to go that route here, where - being live action - everything is theoretically (slightly) more grounded.

I get that they love putting Alan Tudyk in every movie now, but Iago was a perfect case for getting the original voice back. And basically their only chance to do that outside of Abu and the Cave, so I think that's a missed opportunity.

Speaking of which, do we know who voices Abu? IMDB has no listing for the character and credits Frank only for the Cave.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#146 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19555 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

It wasn't just stock monkey noises?

xOyvpt9.png

#147 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Frank Welker reprised all three of his original roles, I believe. That is, Abu, Rajah, and definitely the Cave of Wonders.

Though, a new thought just crossed my mind about Iago. With his essentially being a nonentity in this movie, if they ever wanted to do a live-action Return of Jafar sequel movie, the lack of needing to spend so much time on redeeming Iago would basically require them to write an almost completely new and original story for that movie, which would do away with the issue that some took with that movie focusing "too much" on Iago instead of Aladdin.

But, so long as they were to still get Jason Alexander back to play live-action Abis Mal. We practically even saw Aladdin and Jasmine fly near what looked a whole lot like the cliffs where his hideout is located during this movie's rendition of "A Whole New World".

#148 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6172 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

I am reasonably sure that Jafar did call Iago by name in the movie.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#149 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7901 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

He did at least once very early in the movie. But hes so soft spoken its no wonder so many missed it.

#150 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6676 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:56 AM

I am reasonably sure that Jafar did call Iago by name in the movie.

Yeah pretty sure he does.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#151 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7155 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:31 AM

If they do a sequel I imagine there is zero chance it will have anything at all in common with The Return Of Jafar, other than some overlapping characters and perhaps, like... the return of Jafar. There's just absolutely no way they'd lean on the original DTV sequel in any meaningful way.

I'd assume any kind of sequel is unlikely, and if they do go that way they'll have to do a lot of contrived junk to have the Genie present in any role other than "human husband and father".

WsuGTl1.jpg

#152 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Genie's fate at the end is another reason for them to make something all new for a sequel, yes. Though, one reason they could have for his coming back would be a very simple one and it's also a reason from the animated sequel: He would know how to destroy Jafar as a genie. Thus, a live action sequel could have a little side quest of Aladdin (maybe Jasmine too?) trying to track down and find the once and former Genie (he'd probably have a new name this time since he's no longer a genie) in order to seek his help on how to defeat Jafar once and for all.

Perhaps Jafar himself would try to locate and capture ex-Genie himself, too, since he'd likely want revenge on everyone who wronged him, which would include the Genie. and with ex-Genie's knowledge of how to kill a genie, it could be a race between Jafar and Aladdin to see who can get to the ex-Genie first.

#153 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19555 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

Lol Disney doing something new in this day and age

xOyvpt9.png

#154 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Lol Disney doing something new in this day and age

Wreck-It Ralph and its sequel? Moana? Zootopia? Frozen 2 not relying on the Snow Queen or any other source material?

#155 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19555 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

That sure is an extensive list of new things over the past 7 years that this years remakes numbers more than half of.

xOyvpt9.png

#156 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7155 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:30 PM

We're not even talking about new things here, we're talking about doing new things with old properties.

I'm not sure whose side that puts me on in this particular exchange. But I think an Aladdin sequel would lean towards, like, Maleficent 2: More Inexplicable Bullshit rather than Moana or a Zootopia. 

But yes, Disney does regularly do

• New Things
  • Remakes Of Old Things
  • Sequels and Reinventions of Old And New Things
  • Probably Other Things Also

WsuGTl1.jpg

#157 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28488 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

That fourth bullet mostly seems to be their nature stuff and biographical films.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users