Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 January 2020 - 08:56 AM)

I have plenty of physical media I turn into digital media for my plex server. Just finished ripping Ultra Seven

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Isn't the general consensus that we're supposed to be over physical media anyways?

@  Paladin : (09 January 2020 - 08:17 AM)

i still don't own a Blu-Ray player.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 January 2020 - 07:35 AM)

My current TV works just fine. I don't see a need to upgrade. And by the time I do, the Next Big Thing will probably be out anyway.

@  Benbot : (09 January 2020 - 03:58 AM)

Me neither. I'm no rebel, though. I'm just poor.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 03:38 AM)

I haven't gone 4K yet, I'm a rebel.

@  Ashley : (07 January 2020 - 11:50 PM)

the comic theme is amazing

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Sounds like Victor Caroli but I’m not sure.

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 02:35 PM)

Should I recognise the narrator of the Mutant Hunt trailer?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 January 2020 - 04:30 AM)

I got me Titans Return Blaster, now watch them unveil Earthrise Blaster and Generations Perceptor, a retool of Titans Blaster.

@  ThunderWear : (06 January 2020 - 10:22 PM)

I recently switched to to the comic theme here at the Allspark and I'm so happy I just want to look at it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (06 January 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Can you not take so many lines to say anything?

@  fourteenwings : (06 January 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Iunno, maybe people having unique pronunciations of things re:how they understand language makes the world a more colourful place, rather than one where we correct every seemingly grievous error?

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:12 AM)

Others insist on "Michael Yackson".

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:01 AM)

Because the very combination of those sounds is unknown to them, and thus they avoid it as if it were contagious.

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:00 AM)

For example, the English "J" sound consists of sounds that exist in German: Basically, it's just a "d" sound followed by a very soft "sh". Yet there are many Germans who insist on calling the late King of Pop "Michael Checkson".

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

156 replies to this topic

#141 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I have picked up the soundtrack and gave it a spin. The highlight is certainly Naomi Scott, who's really quite talented; and I enjoyed listening to her in A Whole New World. I've only seen her previously in the most recent Power Rangers flick, so I didn't really know what to expect from her. Mena Massoud is a local talent from my part of Canada, so I feel a kind of obligation to not be too hard on him (it's not like I can sing at all, lol). He's much better than I expected, and he kept up with the frenetic pace of One Jump Ahead pretty nicely. Next to Scott in A Whole New World is another matter, but still serviceable. The biggest disappointment on the soundtrack for me was Genie's songs; they just don't come anywhere close to the energy of the originals, and some of the lyrical changes don't really work for me.

"Friend Like Me" is very energetic when seen onscreen, but that might be more due to just how much zany fast action Smith's Genie is pulling off while singing.

I'll give you "Prince Ali" but "Arabian Nights" is presented in a new context that, IMO, justifies the less energetic feel of the original Bruce Adler version.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#142 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8812 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

I didn't think about Jasmine leaving Prince Ali at the dance because she was ashamed to be impressed by superficial dance moves, haha.

I don't recall Iago bringing it up at Jafar can kill Jasmine afterwards so he can sultan. Not that I need an excuse not to watch the original again, hehe

Really? Iago was only named Parrot? That's sad. I didn't noticed that.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#143 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

I didn't think about Jasmine leaving Prince Ali at the dance because she was ashamed to be impressed by superficial dance moves, haha.

She definitely seemed impressed, but later tells him off for showing off. So I feel it adds another layer of depth to her for her to be ashamed of her own humanity. It shows that, as much as she tries to be better, she's still fallible, and that she both recognizes that flaw and tries to overcome it.

I don't recall Iago bringing it up at Jafar can kill Jasmine afterwards so he can sultan. Not that I need an excuse not to watch the original again, hehe

Yeah, in the original, Iago came up with the idea of marry Jasmine to get around needing the lamp to become Sultan, and then told Jafar that after he marries her, Jafar should stage an "accident" in which Jasmine and her father "fall" off a cliff to the deaths.

Really? Iago was only named Parrot? That's sad. I didn't noticed that.

Yep, no onscreen name in this one. Just, "You're coming with me, Parrot!" at the end.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#144 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8812 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Oh yeeeeeah! Iago does that 'throw the little princess and daddy off a cliff' mime routine! I remember that now, haha :)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#145 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

I think Iago's reduced role in the new film is pretty inevitable. While he remains a (remarkably) intelligent bird, he is just supposed to be a bird - no longer a cartoon bird. Like, animated Iago is not a bird, he's functionally a small feathery person. They weren't likely to go that route here, where - being live action - everything is theoretically (slightly) more grounded.

I get that they love putting Alan Tudyk in every movie now, but Iago was a perfect case for getting the original voice back. And basically their only chance to do that outside of Abu and the Cave, so I think that's a missed opportunity.

Speaking of which, do we know who voices Abu? IMDB has no listing for the character and credits Frank only for the Cave.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#146 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19877 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

It wasn't just stock monkey noises?

xOyvpt9.png

#147 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Frank Welker reprised all three of his original roles, I believe. That is, Abu, Rajah, and definitely the Cave of Wonders.

Though, a new thought just crossed my mind about Iago. With his essentially being a nonentity in this movie, if they ever wanted to do a live-action Return of Jafar sequel movie, the lack of needing to spend so much time on redeeming Iago would basically require them to write an almost completely new and original story for that movie, which would do away with the issue that some took with that movie focusing "too much" on Iago instead of Aladdin.

But, so long as they were to still get Jason Alexander back to play live-action Abis Mal. We practically even saw Aladdin and Jasmine fly near what looked a whole lot like the cliffs where his hideout is located during this movie's rendition of "A Whole New World".

#148 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6279 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

I am reasonably sure that Jafar did call Iago by name in the movie.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#149 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8089 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

He did at least once very early in the movie. But hes so soft spoken its no wonder so many missed it.

#150 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6762 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:56 AM

I am reasonably sure that Jafar did call Iago by name in the movie.

Yeah pretty sure he does.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#151 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:31 AM

If they do a sequel I imagine there is zero chance it will have anything at all in common with The Return Of Jafar, other than some overlapping characters and perhaps, like... the return of Jafar. There's just absolutely no way they'd lean on the original DTV sequel in any meaningful way.

I'd assume any kind of sequel is unlikely, and if they do go that way they'll have to do a lot of contrived junk to have the Genie present in any role other than "human husband and father".

WsuGTl1.jpg

#152 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Genie's fate at the end is another reason for them to make something all new for a sequel, yes. Though, one reason they could have for his coming back would be a very simple one and it's also a reason from the animated sequel: He would know how to destroy Jafar as a genie. Thus, a live action sequel could have a little side quest of Aladdin (maybe Jasmine too?) trying to track down and find the once and former Genie (he'd probably have a new name this time since he's no longer a genie) in order to seek his help on how to defeat Jafar once and for all.

Perhaps Jafar himself would try to locate and capture ex-Genie himself, too, since he'd likely want revenge on everyone who wronged him, which would include the Genie. and with ex-Genie's knowledge of how to kill a genie, it could be a race between Jafar and Aladdin to see who can get to the ex-Genie first.

#153 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19877 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

Lol Disney doing something new in this day and age

xOyvpt9.png

#154 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Lol Disney doing something new in this day and age

Wreck-It Ralph and its sequel? Moana? Zootopia? Frozen 2 not relying on the Snow Queen or any other source material?

#155 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19877 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

That sure is an extensive list of new things over the past 7 years that this years remakes numbers more than half of.

xOyvpt9.png

#156 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:30 PM

We're not even talking about new things here, we're talking about doing new things with old properties.

I'm not sure whose side that puts me on in this particular exchange. But I think an Aladdin sequel would lean towards, like, Maleficent 2: More Inexplicable Bullshit rather than Moana or a Zootopia. 

But yes, Disney does regularly do

• New Things
  • Remakes Of Old Things
  • Sequels and Reinventions of Old And New Things
  • Probably Other Things Also

WsuGTl1.jpg

#157 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29284 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

That fourth bullet mostly seems to be their nature stuff and biographical films.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users