Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 August 2019 - 04:10 AM)

Let me call on my friend Dr Rockso, the Rock 'n Roll Clown. (He does cocaine.)

@  Nutjob R/T : (20 August 2019 - 12:48 AM)

New crowdfunding project: We need to get enough nose candy for the Paramount execs to keep 'em up long enough to get DS9 squeezed out

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 04:36 PM)

They're hideously cheap. I'm just glad some decision maker in the upper echelons stayed high as a kite for long enough for us to get TOS, TNG and TAS on blu-ray

@  Rycochet : (19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM)

Paramount are kinda cheap and Ds9 isn't popular enough for them to go all out on a remaster.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:37 PM)

Or hell, they could just shorten a season of Discovery by 2-3 episodes and that'd pay for the DS9 remaster in full (assuming the 8 to 8.5 million per episode for Discovery that was reported a while back is accurate)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Redoing some of the more simple effects like phasers and transporters and whatnot (basically what they've already had practice doing for TNG)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:30 PM)

They could scan and rebuild the film elements, and then upscale the original CGI only (provided it still exists as separate footage)

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Basically its in the same situation as DS9 IIRC with loss of models and how the CGI was applied to the existing footage.

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

Not gonna happen unless they recreate all the CGI from scratch, unfortunately. Or just upscale the broadcast masters, which would be basically pointless.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 August 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Babylon 5 must come to Blu Ray.

@  MEDdMI : (19 August 2019 - 07:28 AM)

Even in the winter, he has to clear the roads of snow.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2019 - 03:46 AM)

His work is never done.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2019 - 03:06 AM)

Everyone quickly gets sick of flubbing the name and collectively agree to just call the combiner "Roadworks"

@  Sabrblade : (18 August 2019 - 09:34 PM)

For some reason, I've always wanted to see a "Menastator", all five Stunticons and all six Constructicons in an 11-piece combiner.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

157 replies to this topic

#121 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1194 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

Wow, they changed the line again? What is it?

Pacek and Paul have updated a lot of the lyrics in the film. Arabian Nights is almost a new song. The verse in question is

Oh, imagine a land, it's a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where you wander among every culture and tongue
It's chaotic, but hey, it's home
LOOKDOWN.png

#122 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28310 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

I still prefer the "Return of Jafar"/TV series version best.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#123 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19337 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Saw it today. Very okay-ish.

While it's great that genie was reimagined to make Will Smith a better fit, I don't think he was a very good pick for the role. Mainly because his singing just isn't all that good. While he can hold a tune, it's very middle of the roadl. His acting is good, if a bit of the typecast Will Smith role. Aladdin's actor was pretty much perfect and really sells the part. Jasmine was good. Jafar strikes me as horribly rewritten and not particularly well cast. While I am glad to see that he wasn't made into another Drumpf pastiche (nothing about borders, thank god), he's even more overtly saturday-morning-cartoon-villain evil to the point I don't see why they keep him around but at the same time, lacking the greasy charisma to not get sacked. He's a little too softspoken for pretty much all his scenes which is a shame since I wanted to see more of his "KHAN" scream in the desert. I know pork is haram but you really need to ham it up a little, man. Jasmine's handmaid seemed superfluous overall. I figured she was written in because otherwise, Jasmine would spend a good chunk of time talking to a CGI tiger but I dunno, after watching, it really seems she was shoehorned in to give Will a love interest. Her performance was good though. I can't believe that Iago necessitated a big-name voice actor.

Speaking of CGI, the movie's is okay. Blue Will Smith is still very uncanny valley and there were some instances of PS3-level jank but it was adequate. I find myself wondering if I would find Genie more or less disturbing if they didn't give him nipples. Abu is iffy overall, with a few really nicely animated scenes and about an equal number that really really cause the CG to stick out. The cave of Wonders is a laughably static piece of second-rate theme park scenery. 

Music is great. the score hits all the right notes. The songs are kind of a mixed bag. All of Aladdin's are wonderful. Jasmine's new song strikes me as a watered-down Let It Go and seems tacked on, especially the second time it pops up. Will Smith's songs are okay, delivered competently and the guy can hold a tune pretty well but I feel like something's missing. It's pretty much impossible to do cartoon Genie in this medium but they seem positively anemic compared to the originals. Think the tempo could stand to be a tad faster. They're all far above Beauty and the Beast's autotuned nightmares though. 

Story is what you'd expect with an extra completely unneeded chase scene. If there's a part of this film that best exemplifies it, it's the A Whole New World scene. It's smaller scale, less visually appealing and competently done, but doesn't do enough to escape the shadow of the original. I don't regret seeing it but I won't be picking this over the original if I'm hankering for Aladdin.

Edited by unluckiness, 25 May 2019 - 09:58 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#124 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9032 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

See I'm exactly the opposite on Aladdin. I mean overall he was ok but in the same way that Emma Watson was for Belle in Beauty and the Beast. He looks the part well enough and for the most part acts it well enough but once he's Princed up he seems a tad too worried. I mean he was worried about biffing things in the original animation but making him Armada pack in comic Hot Shot for a minute stretches things a tad too much for me. And the guy always felt like he was either missing song cues or just not giving the music his all. The start of a Whole New World felt so wooden until Naomi came in to start Jasmines part.

For Will, I think he did great as Genie. He'll never surpass Robin but they gave him more of his own personality here than trying to ape the original performance completely. And him and the Handmaiden were quite adorkable together.

I felt Naomi's Jasmine was the High point of the film really. I'll admit Speechless didn't hit me too well. It's great to see Jasmine voice her frustrations but I just don't feel it meshes well with the original mix of songs. My only real complaint is the lack of screen time for the classic Blue outfit. I really didn't feel the magenta overtly flashy outfit at all.

Jafar and the Sultan I'm glad were toned down. While I do think it benefits Jafar to be less of a Cackiling madman near the end of the film, it's sad to see less personality from the Sultan. But neither interpretation would have translated directly well to live action. But Jafar certainly seems to be focused on expansion of the kingdom more here.

But probably the downside of the move to live action is how it's harder to give personality to the animals. Abu was pretty good over all, and Iago you could tell had a decent mind of his own but isn't capable of more than a few words at a time.   Rajah didn't get much to do this time other than giving Ali a good wet lick. But all three are actual animals this time so you don't get the cartoon squash and stretch that benefits their personalities in the animation. And Carpet is toned down quite a bit. He still gets a few good shots but over all he's not utilized much. Especially during the Whole New World sequence.

I won't have a problem with it existing but there's no doubt it won't supplant the original cartoon.

Though if they want to do a Return of Jafar sequel I demand they get Jason Alexander to come back as Abis Mal!

#125 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28310 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Though if they want to do a Return of Jafar sequel I demand they get Jason Alexander to come back as Abis Mal!

Yes, yes, a million times YES!!

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#126 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8421 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:49 AM

Saw it.

Jafar needed to be more charismatic, darn it! And the magic he displayed should have been phenomenal! Darn it, One Jump was so slow compared to what I imagined it could have been in a Guy Ritchie movie.

Two references I don't get. I don't get why the 'faraway prince' example that Genie made in the trailer is funny. (I thought perhaps he was faraway cuz he was suppose to be The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air).

And who was the archer Jaaaaaasmine near the end being referenced to?

(The Will Smith genie's humor isn't pop culture references but those parts looked like they were)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#127 Caldwin

Caldwin

Feed Me

• Supporter
  • 24580 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:02 AM

I just saw Independence Day again last night. Can't help but laugh now that his girlfriends name is Jasmine and therecwas a whole part where she teased him about thinking he's Aladdin.
PSN = Caldwin Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#128 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7857 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Saw it.

Jafar needed to be more charismatic, darn it! And the magic he displayed should have been phenomenal! Darn it, One Jump was so slow compared to what I imagined it could have been in a Guy Ritchie movie.

Two references I don't get. I don't get why the 'faraway prince' example that Genie made in the trailer is funny. (I thought perhaps he was faraway cuz he was suppose to be The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air).

(The Will Smith genie's humor isn't pop culture references but those parts looked like they were)

He "made him a prince". As in he a made a prince for him. Its a semantics gag.

I found Jafar not manacing at all except for the one scene where he steals from Aladdin in the marketplace. His whole shtick felt like he was this pathetic man that was stomping his foot demanding to be respected. Not unlike Aladdin as Ali I realize now that Im typing it out. But still, I didn't feel threatened by him at all.

Jasmine was far and away the best thing about this movie. Genie wasn't as bad as trailers made him seem. His spat with Al felt less contrived in this version. Glad to see Iago got alot of screentime.

#129 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25213 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

What the [i]heck[/] was the 'made prince' yelling anyhow? "Hey y'all seen my-" what?
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#130 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28310 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

What the [i]heck[/] was the 'made prince' yelling anyhow? "Hey y'all seen my-" what?

"Palace."

Edited by Sabrblade, 26 May 2019 - 07:34 PM.

#131 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8421 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:46 PM

Saw it.

He "made him a prince". As in he a made a prince for him. Its a semantics gag.

I found Jafar not manacing at all except for the one scene where he steals from Aladdin in the marketplace. His whole shtick felt like he was this pathetic man that was stomping his foot demanding to be respected. Not unlike Aladdin as Ali I realize now that Im typing it out. But still, I didn't feel threatened by him at all.

Jasmine was far and away the best thing about this movie. Genie wasn't as bad as trailers made him seem. His spat with Al felt less contrived in this version. Glad to see Iago got alot of screentime.

Made another prince, ok, I get it now. Not very funny since I think the original joke of that type was 'make me a sandwich' and you become a sandwich.

Yes, that scene with the drapes of clothes. Really could have used more dramatic scenes like that.

I think the reason this Jafar wasn't as charismatic or personable is because his Iago wasn't a conversationalist. The first movie had them bouncing back and forth with their dialogue but this Iago didn't have much of a personality so new Jafar was blander, which was a shame.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#132 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38921 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

So this had a pretty big opening weekend, It definitely looks like it will do better than Dumbo did.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#133 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:52 PM

I went in with very low expectations after everything I'd heard, but I loved it. I don't know what you could add that would make it a better live action Aladdin adaptation, other than obviously Robin Williams perhaps. I think it was definitely a greater success than Beauty and the Beast, though I may be holding that to higher standards as I care about it more.

None of the songs really wowed me but they were all at least Good Enough. Seems a wasted opportunity that they didn't add more new ones (or borrow from Broadway), but I suspect they weren't really one of Ritchie's priorities. Cutting the Prince Ali reprise was pretty rotten.

Will Smith did a good job with the new stuff they brought in for the Genie, and a decent job with the rest. Massoud and Scott were about as good as you could hope for - way better than I expected. Abu... often did not look great, sure. Brilliant work with Carpet though. Jafar was, yeah, not super Jafary, but got the job done.

There's a lot hanging over the movie, but on the whole I think it was a success, and I could have happily watched hours more. Dead keen to see it again. Colour me shocked.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#134 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8421 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

More impressive magic from Jafar would have made it better for me. We didn't get a giant snake, just a giant birb.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#135 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

God, I didn't even realise that. We'll never get to know how snake-like he could be!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#136 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19337 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

If they went with a big snake, how would they shoehorn a pointless, dragging chase scene in?

Edited by unluckiness, 02 June 2019 - 09:36 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#137 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6091 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

If they went with a big snake, how would they shoehorn a pointless, dragging chase scene in?

Snake fast.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#138 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7094 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, I think you can definitely do pointless, dragging chase scenes with a giant monster snake. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#139 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17147 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

Jafar must have read the Evil Overlord list between movies.

-ZacWilliam, "It never helps."

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 03 June 2019 - 06:01 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#140 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28310 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

Just got back from seeing it. It's far from perfect, but I think I enjoyed it enough. The few parts where they tried to copy exactly what happened in the original were either not executed as well or not good at all, while most of the new and changed stuff I feel were acceptable. Not all of the changes but most of them.

Spoiler

All in all, this movie's not perfect, but I had fun with it.

Edited by Sabrblade, 06 June 2019 - 10:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users