Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

Photo
- - - - -

the Aladdin remake

156 replies to this topic

#61 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3385 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:01 PM

How about this:

The remake doesn't do enough to convince you that going to see it would be better than just popping the Blue-Ray into the home theater and watching that again in the comfort of your own home.

That sounds about like what I'm hearing, which is a completely reasonable way to think.  Why watch the remake if it doesn't do enough better/different to the original?

Its kind of for a new generation of kids who never seen the original or heard of it.

Something I'm wondering, is with the Arabian Nights song, how will that be handled in terms of lyrics:

The uncensored verison of the song:

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#62 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65615 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:02 PM

I think it looks good.

ACItEK8.png

#63 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10648 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

How about this:

The remake doesn't do enough to convince you that going to see it would be better than just popping the Blue-Ray into the home theater and watching that again in the comfort of your own home.

That sounds about like what I'm hearing, which is a completely reasonable way to think.  Why watch the remake if it doesn't do enough better/different to the original?

Its kind of for a new generation of kids who never seen the original or heard of it.

Something I'm wondering, is with the Arabian Nights song, how will that be handled in terms of lyrics:

Well, even for the animated film, the censored version of the song showed up on the VHS release. I don't think the unmodified lyrics ever made it past the theatrical presentations and the original CD soundtrack release (which I own).

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 13 March 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#64 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 18174 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

How about this:

That's fine, but that doesn't make the older generation any more unreasonable for not being interested.

Edited by The Doctor Who, 13 March 2019 - 08:12 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#65 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16814 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

I question how much modern kids "have never seen or heard of" the Disney Renaissance films. Parents show kids what they themselves liked.

#66 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28501 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:28 PM

I question how much modern kids "have never seen or heard of" the Disney Renaissance films. Parents show kids what they themselves liked.

Not to mention that five of the ten Renaissance films each got their own spinoff cartoon series on TV that all reran for years on both Disney Channel and Toon Disney (before the latter changed into Disney XD), and some of which even still rerun on TV to this day in certain countries.

Coupled with several DVD/Blu-Ray rereleases, continued televised re-broadcasts, and plenty of merchandise, the Renaissance films have indeed had no trouble with marketing exposure to newer audiences from after the Renaissance era.

Edited by Sabrblade, 13 March 2019 - 11:28 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#67 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46125 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:20 AM

Welcome to the realization that our generation is a marketing demographic now. These films are specifically catered towards bringing in OUR dollars based on nostalgia.

Give it another ten years and we'll be seeing live action Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove.

#68 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28547 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:42 AM

Alice's problem is it tried to apply logic to a whimsical world and the script couldn't decide if Alice thought it was a dream or if there were actual stakes.

#69 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65615 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:04 AM

Give it another ten years and we'll be seeing live action Lilo & Stitch and Emperor's New Groove.

Wasn't there a thread about the announced Lilo & Stitch live action remake?

ACItEK8.png

#70 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12167 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:19 AM

actually the most recently announced live-action remake is a Maleficent-style take on "Cruella DeVille," wherein the puppy-killer is actually a tragic misunderstood street rat.

https://comicbook.co...oduction-start/

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#71 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65615 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:32 AM

actually the most recently announced live-action remake is a Maleficent-style take on "Cruella DeVille," wherein the puppy-killer is actually a tragic misunderstood street rat.

https://comicbook.co...oduction-start/

"where we learn the real origins behind Estella's hatred of Dalmatians."

Dalmatians killed her family.

It's like really, turning Dalmatians into the bad guys some how?

ACItEK8.png

#72 unluckiness

unluckiness

curry on rice

• Citizen
  • 19559 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

I want it to be Batmans origin story bit with a dalmation pulling the trigger

xOyvpt9.png

#73 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17204 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

That movie script has a HEEELLLLLLL of an uphill battle. I can't imagine anything they could possibly write that would make "woman who wants to slaughter and skin a hundred puppies" sympathetic in any way.

-ZacWilliam, I feel like that's kind of a hard line to cross
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#74 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28501 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

Once Upon a Time's backstory for Cruella (as weird as it was) at least knew to lean in to her psychosis by making us at first think she was misunderstood and mistreated in her youth, but was actually just as much of a monster back then too, and only became more ruthless and cunning as she grew up.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#75 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38972 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

So my collected thoughts on the new trailer. It makes me want to watch the film eventually, like when it comes to Disney+ this holiday season. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#76 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8103 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

That movie script has a HEEELLLLLLL of an uphill battle. I can't imagine anything they could possibly write that would make "woman who wants to slaughter and skin a hundred puppies" sympathetic in any way.

-ZacWilliam, I feel like that's kind of a hard line to cross

Let's make her the co-captain of a spaceship.

#77 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7163 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

War is not the same as skinning puppies! Maybe, etc.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#78 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6185 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Only thing that really had me not wanting to see this was the Uncanny Valley Genie.  

Third trailer shows that they don't need to keep him blue and CGI the whole time and WIll's Genie is just as witty as Robin's but in Smith's style.  

Probably won't see it though since I have no one to see it with...

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#79 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

I go to movies alone all the time.  No coordinating schedules, so I can go at any time I please, and at busy showings, it's a hell of a lot easier to find one empty seat than 2 or more together.  Or you could use sites like Meetup.com to see if there's a group in your area that's centered around movies or Disney, and go join that.

Either way, please don't let that stop you from seeing films or having other experiences that you may enjoy.

#80 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

I tend to go to our "dine in theater" alone so I can have dinner and a show without the hassle of cleanup/socializing.

• 000 likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users